Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Re: MCU

Wed May 01, 2019 8:07 am

Infinity War - Rocket: "He's a man, you're a dude"

End Game - They're both dudes now.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 01, 2019 8:34 am

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Now that time-travel has been established as a consequence-free tactic in Avengers: Endgame, will future movies simply solve issues by time-traveling to grab the infinity stones, and snapping things back into place? I mean, all they have to do is put the stones back into place whenever they're done with them. Seems... pretty inconsequential to me.

I guess we'll have to see, but I certainly would not put up with that and I don't think most fans would, either. If you want to tank a franchise as big as the MCU, that's the way to do it.

re: the "girl scene" - my wife said to me afterwards "did that seem kind of unlikely to you?" and I'm like "yeah". It was very odd, but it was so short I don't think anybody can complain too much...which nobody in this thread is, btw.

dragontamer5788 wrote:
2. Hulk / Black Widow come across the Soul Stone. And I mean HULK / Black Widow, not Bruce Banner. Remember that Black Widow knows the song that calms Hulk's anger, and that she's one of the few characters that angry-Hulk actually trusts. The Hawkeye chemistry for the soul stone straight up didn't work for me, because Hawkeye is a married man and already is mourning the loss of his wife and kids. His story is just too busy to be wrapped up in this Soul Stone business. Bonus badass points: have both Hulk and Black-Widow fall from the height, but have Hulk survive... because you know... he's the Hulk.

That would have been seriously cool, but I think Dr. Hulk is the only one who could believably explain the "solution" to the Sorcerer Supreme. The rest of that scenario doesn't work without Tony being in Stark Tower knowing how to create a distraction. And when they lose the Tesseract, he's the only person who knows where else to go and still resupply the Pym particles. So the only other "smart guy" was necessarily otherwise involved.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 01, 2019 10:05 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I guess we'll have to see, but I certainly would not put up with that and I don't think most fans would, either. If you want to tank a franchise as big as the MCU, that's the way to do it.

Oh yeah, its not going to be written that way. My point is that the storyline balance of the movie universe can be thrown off balance when the writers write in the way that they did in Endgame. They need to be more careful IMO.

Other movies show grave consequences to time-travel. Like "Butterfly Effect", or even "Dragonball Z", where the villains take over Time Loop #3 and spill over to the main timeline. (Main Timeline is #1. Heroes lose in loop #2, time travel to #1 to help the battle. Villains win in loop #3, and use the time machine to come to timeline #1 and make a clusterF*** out of the most interesting part of the story...).

In these other time-travel stories, the villain is in control of time, and the heroes have to overcome the disadvantage. But in "Endgame", the heroes are in charge of time, and it just felt too overpowered and unbalancing.
I'm no "Thanos", but in general, the good vs evil battle is only fun if both sides are roughly balanced. Plotwise... the heroes just had too much power in this movie, so it didn't feel like a fair fight to me.

In Dr. Strange, they make it clear that messing with time has grave consequences. It seems like a paper-tiger threat in the face of "Endgame"... just tacking on these other cross-movie inconsistencies here...

re: the "girl scene" - my wife said to me afterwards "did that seem kind of unlikely to you?" and I'm like "yeah". It was very odd, but it was so short I don't think anybody can complain too much...which nobody in this thread is, btw.

Yeah, I don't want to complain too much because it was short. But it still pulled my focus out of the theater for that short time...

That would have been seriously cool, but I think Dr. Hulk is the only one who could believably explain the "solution" to the Sorcerer Supreme. The rest of that scenario doesn't work without Tony being in Stark Tower knowing how to create a distraction. And when they lose the Tesseract, he's the only person who knows where else to go and still resupply the Pym particles. So the only other "smart guy" was necessarily otherwise involved.

That's a good point. That section of the movie was really well done, so I'd rather not change it up too much. Hmmm...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 01, 2019 10:51 am

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Other movies show grave consequences to time-travel. Like "Butterfly Effect", or even "Dragonball Z", where the villains take over Time Loop #3 and spill over to the main timeline. (Main Timeline is #1. Heroes lose in loop #2, time travel to #1 to help the battle. Villains win in loop #3, and use the time machine to come to timeline #1 and make a clusterF*** out of the most interesting part of the story...).

In these other time-travel stories, the villain is in control of time, and the heroes have to overcome the disadvantage. But in "Endgame", the heroes are in charge of time, and it just felt too overpowered and unbalancing.
I'm no "Thanos", but in general, the good vs evil battle is only fun if both sides are roughly balanced. Plotwise... the heroes just had too much power in this movie, so it didn't feel like a fair fight to me.

It wasn't fair, and yet he still almost won. That's what makes Thanos the best movie villain in a long-ass time. The odds were against him and he still almost pulled it off.

And that's a good point about Dr. Strange that I hadn't considered.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed May 01, 2019 11:03 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

That scene pulled me out of it too, mostly because she's Captain freaking Marvel, she just zoomed thru and destroyed Thanos's giant metal ship, she doesnt need any help to blast thru the baddies in her way. So it felt too forced.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed May 01, 2019 11:06 am

dragontamer5788 wrote:
In Dr. Strange, they make it clear that messing with time has grave consequences. It seems like a paper-tiger threat in the face of "Endgame"... just tacking on these other cross-movie inconsistencies here...

Maybe there is some difference between using the Time stone and using their quantum method of time travel?/shrug

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed May 01, 2019 11:09 am

No one really needs to worry about the time travel mechanics...because it's a movie. Come on, guys :lol:

But more seriously, they only messed with time because the alternative was half the universe staying dead. They could have screwed things up, but they were in a "nothing to lose" situation. Plus, there were grave consequences. Messing with time almost ended in a worse situation with Thanos going full evil-God (remaking the universe in his own image), and they lost one of the strongest heroes beating him.

I think there will be consequences from the events in Engame to spawn future fixes/"don't do that again" scenarios. If nothing else, Doctor Strange is Sorcerer Supreme, and part of his job is protecting time (but he was dust while all the time shenanigans were happening).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 01, 2019 11:17 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
That scene pulled me out of it too, mostly because she's Captain freaking Marvel, she just zoomed thru and destroyed Thanos's giant metal ship, she doesnt need any help to blast thru the baddies in her way. So it felt too forced.

but then Thanos whipped her ass, so maybe she needed help?

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 01, 2019 11:25 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
MileageMayVary wrote:

but then Thanos whipped her ass, so maybe she needed help?

Technically speaking, Power Stone whipped her ass. Capt. Marvel was taking (normal) Thanos punches to the face without even flinching, and was clearly overpowering Thanos. It was only when Thanos grabbed the purple-power stone OUT of the gauntlet, absorbed its power, and used it to overpower Capt. Marvel was she defeated. Note that Thanos using the Power Stone in Infinity War #1 also allowed him to overpower the Hulk

That makes the full tier list:

Power Stone > Hulk > ?? Capt. Marvel > Thanos.
. Although maybe that's just my Hulk bias showing.

Capt. Marvel doesn't have combat experience vs the infinity stones yet. So I saw it more as her lack of combat experience on this scale, as opposed to a raw strength issue.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 am

Technicalities. :lol:

It was refreshing to see anything knock her down, though, since she was incredibly overpowered in 1995. There was zero sense of tension for me in Captain Marvel, even when she was bound by the intelligence towards the end. I had real concerns that Endgame was going to involve her winning single-handedly. I desperately wanted it to be a team effort, and I'm thrilled that it was.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Here's another inconsistency, but unfortunately I didn't figure it out on my own. Its just a more "popular" inconsistency that people are beginning to talk about on various websites.

Yes, again with the time travel. So in the final scenes of the movie, Capt. America goes back in time to put the "infinity stones back into place". He then is supposed to time travel into the present and "complete the loop" so to speak. Unfortunately, that's not what Capt. America does. So what exactly what did Capt. America experience from the 1950s through 2019 ??

1. Capt. America returns to 2014, 2012, and 2011 to return the Power Stone (Purple), Soul Stone (Yellow); Thor's Hammer, the Reality Gem (Red); Time Stone (Green), Mind Gem (Yellow).
2. Capt. America returns to 1950 to return the Tesseract (Blue Stone).
3. Capt. America gets married in the past (presumably Peggy Carter, but we don't really know for sure)
4. Capt. America experiences life between 1950 through 2014 in secret.
5. Inconsistency point #1: 2014 Thanos time-warps to the future and dies.
6. Inconsistency point #2: 2018 Thanos collects all infinity stones. But he should be dead because of #5.
7. Inconsistency point #3: 2019 Captain America finally returns to 2019 as an old man. This doesn't make sense as per the "multiple dimensions" theory that was proposed by the Sorcerer Supreme / Iron Man / literally what everyone else said in the movie.

There's pretty much no way to consistently describe Capt. America's experience. With 2014 Thanos dead, the events of 2018 will simply not happen. And the alternate-realities theory is just destroyed by the fact that Capt. America is sitting on the bench over there, its clearly the same reality.

There's no way to resolve these three inconsistencies. Any resolution to try to describe why things work out that way is met with a direct contradiction.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed May 01, 2019 4:45 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
There's no way to resolve these three inconsistencies. Any resolution to try to describe why things work out that way is met with a direct contradiction.

OK, Don Quixote. Keep on tilting at that windmill of comic book multiverse global continuity consistency.

The only winning move is not to play.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 01, 2019 5:02 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:

OK, Don Quixote. Keep on tilting at that windmill of comic book multiverse global continuity consistency.

The only winning move is not to play.

That particular one you're quoting from me is internal to this movie. None of the time travel shenanigans are in other movies. ONLY this one.

I agree that it is too much to ask for global consistency across movies. I poke some fun at it in other posts, but I do consider "internal" inconsistencies to be... well... troubling. It makes for a more shallow movie watching experience, because you can't think too deeply about the plot before realizing the plot just topples over with the slightest bit of critical thought.

I dunno, I've always enjoyed the "deeper" comic book stories. Flashpoint Paradox and Kingdom Come both had some inconsistencies, but this movie is "more inconsistent" than even the typical comic book plot. I'm not asking for perfection here... but there's a big difference between... say... the 2 or 3 inconsistencies I found while watching "Black Panther" and the myriad of inconsistencies I'm seeing in "Avengers: Endgame".

I mean, I'll say Avengers: Infinity War / Endgame seems more fun than the original Infinity Wars comic. The "Lady Death" thing is a weaker plot-point than the new Thanos we got in these two movies. And the Adam Warlock thing wasn't as unifying as the grand finale of Endgame.

I dunno, maybe all I'm asking for is for the number of inconsistencies to remain less than 5? We can have contradictions, especially if you lamp-shade them and acknowledge the lampshade to the audience. It works like X, stop thinking about it!! The "push time through Ant-man" scene was awesome in this regards. Its silly to think that time works like that, but hey, those kinds of events make a lot of the humor in this kind of movie.. But when you have events that are absolutely essential to the plot, and are the grand culmination of 10-years of cinema history for beloved characters... yeah, I'm going to take the plot far more seriously than other plots.
Last edited by dragontamer5788 on Wed May 01, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed May 01, 2019 5:10 pm

I'm guessing you really hated Lost, or any other story that has some inherent ambiguity to it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 01, 2019 5:12 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I'm guessing you really hated Lost, or any other story that has some inherent ambiguity to it.

Ambiguity is fine, especially for philosophical series. If an author is going for an ambiguous feel, then ambiguity is great.

I didn't get that feel from this movie. You have science-wizards (Iron Man) saying how things should work. You have Sorcerer Supreme explicitly saying how time travel works. Etc. etc. The least I could hope for is for... you know... things to work the way the characters said so. Its like... the movie is trying to claim its got things consistent and well thought out... and then it doesn't work like that.

It also depends on the seriousness of the plot. Ant-Man is basically a comedy movie, so I'm far more accepting of the inconsistencies in that movie ("Matter is shrunken down, but has the same mass. Oh wait, lemme just pull this tank out of my pocket and turn my building into a briefcase..."). If you have an overall comedic feel, the inconsistencies can be washed away. "Avengers" wasn't that kind of movie though.

EDIT: When Professor Hulk was messing with time travel and wacky stuff starts to go on... that's fine. Professor Hulk clearly doesn't know what he's doing, the scene is pretty obvious that this is a grand experiment, and things kinda flail around for a few minutes. It was a good scene, and helped lighten the mood after the very depressing start of the movie. But... when it comes to literally the finale of Steve Rogers... you gotta treat that kind of event with more respect and put more thought / consistency into that scene.

EDIT2: Perhaps it would be better if I imagined how a better finale would be?

Instead of old-man Steve Rogers appearing... have Capt. America reappear (with one-additional freshly stolen Pym Particle from the past).

Professor Hulk: "If you're thinking of going back Steve... know that you can never come back here. The infinity stones have locked the old timeline and it cannot affect this timeline anymore. We don't even have infinity stones in this timeline anymore, and any further time travel will come at great risks".

Steve: Hands shield + mantle to Falcon. "I've never really felt like I belonged here, in the future. Besides, I found the love of my life back there, it is only right for me to go back there".

Professor Hulk: "As long as you never come back, it should be safe. Best wishes buddy"

Bam, now you've got an internally consistent movie with one-less time-travel inconsistency.
Last edited by dragontamer5788 on Wed May 01, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed May 01, 2019 5:20 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
[because you can't think too deeply about the plot before realizing the plot just topples over with the slightest bit of critical thought.

What were you expecting? Gandhi?? 2001?? Any Merchant-Ivory flick?

Or, more to the point, "Year of Hell"??

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:
[because you can't think too deeply about the plot before realizing the plot just topples over with the slightest bit of critical thought.

What were you expecting? Gandhi?? 2001?? Any Merchant-Ivory flick?

Or, more to the point, "Year of Hell"??

Dragonball Z (Cell Saga, specifically)? Flashpoint? Kingdom Come? Justice League Unlimited (2003 cartoon).

I mean, hell, Flashpoint was setup to fix all the continuity errors by explicitly telling the comic book audience that everything after Flashpoint was going to work by new and different rules. But they worked their damnest to make Flashpoint work according to "Old 52" (2005-era) rules.

I dunno, maybe I watch too many cartoons and read too many comics where they actually care about continuity issues like this.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed May 01, 2019 5:33 pm

Ok, I'm nerd enough to bite, so here goes.

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Inconsistency point #1: 2014 Thanos time-warps to the future and dies.

Why is that inconsistent? Anyone can die at any moment regardless of time travel, no?

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Inconsistency point #2: 2018 Thanos collects all infinity stones. But he should be dead because of #5.

Infinity War Thanos did that, not Engame Thanos who Nebula helped bring into his future. Collecting all the infinity stones and dusting half of all life is part of the avengers past, and hadn't happened yet in the timeline Thanos came from. There's no inconsistency there either that I see.

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Inconsistency point #3: 2019 Captain America finally returns to 2019 as an old man.

If the infinity stones were placed back into their correct times and places before Captain America started his new life with Peggy Carter, then why wouldn't he be "allowed" to continue out his life as anyone else would? Clearly that must have happened to avoid whatever Very Bad Thing was supposed to happen otherwise, and he clearly didn't come right back as was originally planned. It wasn't explicitly explained what would happen to those people who had jumped ship from alternate timelines, but only that some Very Bad Thing would happen if the stones were not put back in their proper times and places.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Ok, I'm nerd enough to bite, so here goes.

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Inconsistency point #1: 2014 Thanos time-warps to the future and dies.

Why is that inconsistent? Anyone can die at any moment regardless of time travel, no?

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Inconsistency point #2: 2018 Thanos collects all infinity stones. But he should be dead because of #5.

Infinity War Thanos did that, not Engame Thanos who Nebula helped bring into his future. Collecting all the infinity stones and dusting half of all life is part of the avengers past, and hadn't happened yet in the timeline Thanos came from. There's no inconsistency there either that I see.

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Inconsistency point #3: 2019 Captain America finally returns to 2019 as an old man.

If the infinity stones were placed back into their correct times and places before Captain America started his new life with Peggy Carter, then why wouldn't he be "allowed" to continue out his life as anyone else would? Clearly that must have happened to avoid whatever Very Bad Thing was supposed to happen otherwise, and he clearly didn't come right back as was originally planned. It wasn't explicitly explained what would happen to those people who had jumped ship from alternate timelines, but only that some Very Bad Thing would happen if the stones were not put back in their proper times and places.

Its not that #1, #2, or #3 are problems by themselves.

#1 and #2 are consistent with each other, as per Sorcerer Supreme's bit in 2011, how removal of the infinity stones creates branching timelines. Corollary: returning the stones will restore the timeline.. However, that explanation contradicts with #3, because time has to be consistent for Steve Rogers to become an old man in 2019.

The problem is that the movie could easily become consistent by only rewriting say... #3, to follow the rules of #1 and #2. As the movie stands however, #3 is in direct contradiction to how we resolved #1 and #2. A "modified #3" could be as simple as Steve Rogers choosing to go back to the past, and being unable to return. He can hand off his shield before going back in time..
Last edited by dragontamer5788 on Wed May 01, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed May 01, 2019 5:44 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
time has to be consistent for Steve Rogers to become an old man in 2019.

Doing that was the whole point of returning the stones to their proper times and places. I get what you're saying, but I don't think that qualifies as an error in the plot.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 01, 2019 5:49 pm

Redocbew wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:

Doing that was the whole point of returning the stones to their proper times and places. I get what you're saying, but I don't think that qualifies as an error in the plot.

EDIT: I get you now. I think I mistakenly understood what you were saying originally.

I'm deleting the rest of this post, I'll have to come up with a more appropriate counter-point.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Redocbew wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:

So, I understand that the plot is telling us that time is consistent now. Steve Rogers put the infinity stones back into place, everything is correct. Etc. etc.. I get what the story wants us to believe. The problem is that Steve Rogers is a walking, living contradiction at this point in the timeline. From Old-man Steve Roger's perspective, are the infinity stones destroyed? Or do the infinity stones exist?.

I mean, I guess the optimist can simply say that The events of this movie shatter the timeline permanently. The infinity stones are trapped in a contradictory loop between 2014 Thanos (who dies) and 2018 Thanos (who destroys the infinity stones). It'd be a bit of an ass-pull, but hey, I'd keep reading that kind of comic. It would certainly explain-away the #3 contradiction I posed above, and provide maybe another 5+ years worth of movie material. Steve Rogers himself can be described as a fragment of the damaged timeline., just as an example.

Ehhh... I guess they can go forward with something like that. One-up the contradictions with bigger and more epic stories, in true comic-book fashion.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed May 01, 2019 6:23 pm

I guess you have to decide at which point in the timeline it's "wrong" for the infinity stones to be taken. The first point at which the infinity stones are shifted from one timeline to another is before the snap, so that seems like the most likely point to which they'd be returned. I guess we have to assume that only after that does Steve Rogers jump ship to start a new life with Peggy Carter.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Wed May 01, 2019 6:53 pm

Guys, I used to read the original cheaply printed rag books back in my summer camp days in the 1970s. Y'all are WAY overthinking this. Take your brain salad surgery and be happy.

Forget it Thor, it's MarvelTown.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed May 01, 2019 7:33 pm

I usually don't participate in the deep dive, but I felt that Endgame had stuck the landing well enough that I was curious what all the fuss was about. Personally I prefer some ambiguity over everything being over-explained, and the audience being told exactly what to think down to the very last detail. That's part of what makes the story feel like it's real.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 01, 2019 10:03 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I usually don't participate in the deep dive, but I felt that Endgame had stuck the landing well enough that I was curious what all the fuss was about. Personally I prefer some ambiguity over everything being over-explained, and the audience being told exactly what to think down to the very last detail. That's part of what makes the story feel like it's real.

I don't like explanations. I prefer there to be an answer to what happens, but not necessarily an answer given to the audience. Multiple interpretations of the ending (ex: Inception's ambiguous ending) is fine, as long as the rules laid out in the movie remain consistent.

The rules don't even have to make sense: time doesn't slow down in dreams... they speed up in real life. But the movie establishes the rule (time slows down) and plays with the concept. Inception was consistent... but remains somewhat ambiguous with the spinning-top ending scene (are you SURE you've reached the end of the dreams? Will the top spin forever like a dream, or will the top fall over? The movie keeps it ambiguous). Audiences can debate, no one is right but everyone can make a strong theory one way or the other.

Endgame wasn't... like that. At all. It was a crystal clear ending, with only one interpretation, except that interpretation was inconsistent with itself.

Consistency rules can be broken by the rule of cool and rule of entertainment. If I'm entertained, its fine. But if I'm entertained AND am able to think deeply about the plot, its even better. (see Inception).

--------

I'd rate endings on the thinkability scale roughly on how long it takes for me to find an inconsistency. It took me many days, including discussion with my friends, before I found inconsistencies in Inception's plot. Endgame's plot... I found inconsistencies pretty much real-time, as I was watching the movie. Its actually quite a shallow movie unfortunately.

The good part of Endgame is the rule of cool. They manage to keep me entertained the whole movie, so its not like those plot inconsistencies are a big deal. Rule of cool trumps consistency. But consistency turns a good movie into a great movie. Endgame unfortunately will forever be stuck at "only good" movie status in my mind.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Wed May 01, 2019 10:22 pm

I remember when I saw Inception in the theater. The top started to wobble, the screen cut to black, and a collective groan came from the crowd. :lol:

I've never really understood the past-time of poking holes in a movie plot anyway. I mean, sure, if you're a firefighter, then Backdraft is ridiculous, and if you're a meteorologist, then Twister is goofy(maybe not the best example, since it's kind of goofy anyway). I could mention Independence Day also, but I'm sure we all know a few examples like that. If you're a quantum physicist, then I'd say it's uncertain if Endgame is for you, but otherwise who cares?

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 01, 2019 11:30 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I've never really understood the past-time of poking holes in a movie plot anyway.

Mostly, its a way for comic fans to generate discussion and talk with one another. At least, that's always how I've seen it :-) In general, you can always poke a hole into any work of art: be it a book, comic, or movie.

And once again: the general purpose of Endgame isn't necessarily to make a bulletproof plotline. But... if it had one (or even just had "more bulletproof", fewer issues in it...), it would have been a better movie.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2019 5:43 am

My guess is that dragontamer5788 has not even read a single Marvel comic arc or he wouldn't be concerned about the multiverse. My supporting evidence is he keeps citing $#77y DragonballZ.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 02, 2019 7:56 am

dragontamer5788 wrote:

I agree there's no way to explain his aged self to show up in that reality, but everything else is easily swept aside by the "branching timeline" thing. If you're never altering the present timeline's future by revisiting its past, everything else still happens. But no way should he have been on that bench. Since it has so very little to do with the plot, I'll forgive it for a way to give the character closure.

I'm confident that there will be no Captain America and Agent Carter movie, I think he's really done.

I mean this is the most minute detail. It's like folks who are upset about it are looking for a reason to hate the popular new thing.