Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24924
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: MCU

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 am

Avengers 4 trailer is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6hldpSTF8

And suddenly I realized why Netflix canceled so many of its Marvel series - they all died at the end of Infinity War. Derp.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: MCU

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:40 am

Paul Rudd is a national treasure.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24924
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: MCU

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:43 am

superjawes wrote:
Paul Rudd is a national treasure.

Agreed. Been a fan of his going all the way back to when he was Mike on Friends. I know he's got older stuff but that's where I became aware of him. Really like the Ant Man movies.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: MCU

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:05 am

He's just a really funny dude.

Also......

https://www.kualumni.org/news/paul-rudd ... wk-spirit/
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:34 am

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:42 am

Captain Marvel, yay or nay? Me says kinda yay.
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5302
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:12 am

I'm onboard with kinda yay. It's not in my top 5, or even top 10, but as the 21st movie, it's solidly in the middle of the pack. The 1st post-credit scene leaves me very excited for Endgame.

It says a lot that my biggest criticism is about the soundtrack, it was good, but not great. After Guardians and Thor 3, I expected more from what they had to work with.
TR BBQ XV is over.
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author
Posts: 9204
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:33 am

For an Origin story it was great. In the second half of the movie Where Carol really "blossoms" it was like hell yeah! The look on Ronin's face and his tail tucking retreat was perfect. (I like Lee Pace as an Actor)

The Soundtrack was good (not great), sure they had plenty to choose from in the late 80's early 90's, mainstream music then was kinda all over the place during that time....Hair bands, grunge, R&B, etc..However, No Doubts I'm Just a girl Montage was perfect!


I can't get over the nitpicking of naysayers, well why hasn't Fury called her before like when New York was getting attacked, Where has she been?, Why haven't we seen her, plot holes this and plot holes that. If you watched the dang movie and paid attention all of that was answered!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:34 am

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:48 am

I hope everyone in Marvel Studios is now feverishly working on "The Adventures of Fury and Goose" :D
 
drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5302
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:15 am

Goodness gracious great hair-balls of fire!
TR BBQ XV is over.
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:35 am

drfish wrote:
It says a lot that my biggest criticism is about the soundtrack, it was good, but not great. After Guardians and Thor 3, I expected more from what they had to work with.
I liked the soundtrack. It definitely gives Captain Marvel her own feel, much like Iron Man got from AC/DC and Guardians from 70s-ish pop, which is all it really needed to do.

tanker27 wrote:
I can't get over the nitpicking of naysayers, well why hasn't Fury called her before like when New York was getting attacked, Where has she been?, Why haven't we seen her, plot holes this and plot holes that. If you watched the dang movie and paid attention all of that was answered!
Even if they didn't address those things, they could be answered in Endgame. These kinds of nitpicks are just people trying to find faults in a movie (whose motives may or may not be in good faith).

And for a more serious answer to the "plot holes", they had Thor for New York, and the Avengers Initiative as a direct result of Fury's interaction with Danvers.

Very good movie, probably going to make a $billion, and feels like a confident step to take as the Original (MCU) Avengers contemplate retirement.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 am

My wife and I decided to go see a movie last Friday night and ended up seeing Captain Marvel. I told her that I didn't think it was going to be very good, but she wanted to see it, so we bought the tickets. We were a bit confused because it was a 6:15 showing on a Friday night and the theater was almost empty.

Part way through the movie, she leans over and apologizes for choosing the movie. Personally, I wasn't really that disappointed, as I expected mediocrity to begin with. I would consider this to be one of the weakest MCU movies to come out, not as bad as Thor 2, but maybe something a bit worse than an Iron Man sequel. I think that there were some great parts there, but ultimately it was a lot of plot shoved into a fairly short movie.

I talked with my brother-in-law, who enjoyed the film and we agreed on these specific problems:
The scene where Captain Marvel is captured and then "interrogated" adds very little to the movie. It provides the motivation for her to go to Earth, it provides and action scene, and it provides a bit more of an introduction to the green guys (who we end up feeling completely different about 30 minutes later.) Instead of doing this, show more action of her life with the alien people. Use flashbacks and dreams to show that she might have had a prior life and then crash land her on Earth and have her see something she recognizes.

The best thing this movie had going for it was the chemistry between Samuel L. Jackson and the cat. The second best thing this movie had going for it was the suspense that the green guys could be anyone, but they kill this part way through the movie when the green guys become protagonists. Changing this and relying more heavily on the tension of not knowing whether someone is who they seem would have been a good idea.


Origin movies should be the easiest to make. For those who enjoyed Captain Marvel, which MCU origin movie (e.g. Iron-Man, Captain America) would you consider this to be better than?
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580
 
cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1006
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Part way through the movie, she leans over and apologizes for choosing the movie. Personally, I wasn't really that disappointed, as I expected mediocrity to begin with. I would consider this to be one of the weakest MCU movies to come out, not as bad as Thor 2, but maybe something a bit worse than an Iron Man sequel. I think that there were some great parts there, but ultimately it was a lot of plot shoved into a fairly short movie.


Meh. The whole point of a comic is that you can fit a ton of story into a very thin book. When you try to compress an entire story arc of many of those books into a two hour movie, you're bound to leave things out - and some of those things are gonna be things that fans wanted to see.

The point of the movie was to establish the character - who she is, where she came from, how she got her powers; and ultimately why she's the thing that's gonna allow the Avengers to, eh, avenge themselves in the Endgame movie. The movie does that, and is a fun ride.

Origin movies should be the easiest to make. For those who enjoyed Captain Marvel, which MCU origin movie (e.g. Iron-Man, Captain America) would you consider this to be better than?


To be honest, I've never gotten this notion that in order to enjoy one movie in the series it has to "bump off" some other movie in the series. Each of them has good points and bad points; and every fan will have their own list of where each stands in relation to the others. It's still better than all of the DC movies ;D
 
kvndoom
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2739
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:47 pm
Location: Communistwealth of Virginia

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 am

I'd give it a 6/10, slightly above "meh." It wasn't bad, we were entertained, but I'd never watch it again. For me, somewhere in the bottom 3rd of the MCU films next to Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Honestly it should have been released in 2015 while the first Guardians of the Galaxy (the good one :lol:) was still fresh on everyone's minds, considering the common threads. Coming out now doesn't do much more than establish the character and "oh by the way, don't forget Endgame comes out next month."
Last edited by kvndoom on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author
Posts: 9204
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Origin movies should be the easiest to make. For those who enjoyed Captain Marvel, which MCU origin movie (e.g. Iron-Man, Captain America) would you consider this to be better than?



All of them are equal, except for whatever Hulk one there was (I forget which one is a MCU one is was it Ang Lees?). And it wasnt as meh as you say it was. You sound like one of those naysayers on Rotten Tomatoes that reviewed it before even release. Most of which had an agenda. >.>

Since this movie was Female-centered I am wondering how its going to do overseas. We all know some countries just dont like that sort of thing.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
kvndoom
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2739
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:47 pm
Location: Communistwealth of Virginia

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 am

tanker27 wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Origin movies should be the easiest to make. For those who enjoyed Captain Marvel, which MCU origin movie (e.g. Iron-Man, Captain America) would you consider this to be better than?



All of them are equal, except for whatever Hulk one there was (I forget which one is a MCU one is was it Ang Lees?). And it wasnt as meh as you say it was. You sound like one of those naysayers on Rotten Tomatoes that reviewed it before even release. Most of which had an agenda. >.>

Since this movie was Female-centered I am wondering how its going to do overseas. We all know some countries just dont like that sort of thing.

It's very strange why the neckbeards went all-in on this movie but stayed away from wonder Woman? Maybe it's because DCEU movies have tended to get bad professional reviews compared to Marvel flicks but WW was universally loved? Never know what's going through a fanboy's mind.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."
 
TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:09 am

tanker27 wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Origin movies should be the easiest to make. For those who enjoyed Captain Marvel, which MCU origin movie (e.g. Iron-Man, Captain America) would you consider this to be better than?



All of them are equal, except for whatever Hulk one there was (I forget which one is a MCU one is was it Ang Lees?). And it wasnt as meh as you say it was. You sound like one of those naysayers on Rotten Tomatoes that reviewed it before even release. Most of which had an agenda. >.>

Since this movie was Female-centered I am wondering how its going to do overseas. We all know some countries just dont like that sort of thing.


The early 2000s Hulk was pretty bad, but I remember the late 2000s Hulk with Edward Norton being pretty good. It has a very different feel than what has come to be an "MCU" film.

Captain Marvel is already grossing twice as much overseas as it is in the States. It is effects shots and action that do well overseas, since they translate the best. Have you ever wondered why they keep making Transformers movies, even though everyone seems to think they're bad? It's because those movies make 4X as much overseas (China loves them) as they do here. Same story with the Fast and the Furious movies. Captain Marvel will have a strong overseas gross and make lots of money for Disney shareholders (like myself).

I think what frustrates everyone with the discussion around Captain Marvel is the insinuation, which you have now continued in promulgating, that disliking it makes you racist, sexist, etc. It's a mediocre movie and I think that once some time has passed everyone will realize that, just as they have with Avengers: Age of Ultron (large domestic gross, similar critic review scores to Captain Marvel). The idea of review bombing it because you don't like female superheroes is stupid, but the idea that we can't criticize direction decisions in the movie because it's about a female superhero is just as stupid.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:12 am

cphite wrote:
To be honest, I've never gotten this notion that in order to enjoy one movie in the series it has to "bump off" some other movie in the series. Each of them has good points and bad points; and every fan will have their own list of where each stands in relation to the others.
+1

It's still better than all of the DC movies ;D
Bold statement to say ALL the DCEU movies. That franchise as a whole is a complete mess, but Patty Jenkins and crew freaking nailed it with Wonder Woman.

tanker27 wrote:
All of them are equal, except for whatever Hulk one there was (I forget which one is a MCU one is was it Ang Lees?).
Ang Lee was pre-MCU. The Incredible Hulk (aka "The MCU Blind Spot") was written by Zak Penn, directed by Louis Leterrier, starring Ed Norton and Liv Tyler.

kvndoom wrote:
It's very strange why the neckbeards went all-in on this movie but stayed away from wonder Woman? Maybe it's because DCEU movies have tended to get bad professional reviews compared to Marvel flicks but WW was universally loved? Never know what's going through a fanboy's mind.
You and I might have very different definitions of "the neckbeards". Captain Marvel is doing well because Marvel have grown the fandom. Marvel movies are still for "the fans", but "the fans" include much of the general movie-going public. Getting a good Black Panther film last year and Captain Marvel this year is part of their bigger strategy to include their growing audience. Wonder Woman struggled because everything leading up to it was BAD. WB/DC never captured that general audience, so they couldn't (and still can't) compete with Marvel's numbers (the studio, not the character, but also technically the character).

Although, Wonder Woman 1984 could be an interesting test. The first one did well, they managed to retool Aquaman into an okay-performing film, and Shazam looks very good. We still have to wait until 2020, but by then I would not be surprised if WB finally have something that compares to a successful MCU box office.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author
Posts: 9204
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:23 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
It's a mediocre movie and I think that once some time has passed everyone will realize that, just as they have with Avengers: Age of Ultron (large domestic gross, similar critic review scores to Captain Marvel). The idea of review bombing it because you don't like female superheroes is stupid, but the idea that we can't criticize direction decisions in the movie because it's about a female superhero is just as stupid.


To which you still havent explained why you think it's mediocre. And the Review bombing because of misogynistic views was very, very real why are people ignoring it?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11447
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 am

tanker27 wrote:
And the Review bombing because of misogynistic views was very, very real why are people ignoring it?


uhh.....?

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
The idea of review bombing it because you don't like female superheroes is stupid, but the idea that we can't criticize direction decisions in the movie because it's about a female superhero is just as stupid.


Not only did he blatantly *not* ignore it, you just proved his point! :wink:
 
TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:39 am

tanker27 wrote:
TurtlePerson2 wrote:
It's a mediocre movie and I think that once some time has passed everyone will realize that, just as they have with Avengers: Age of Ultron (large domestic gross, similar critic review scores to Captain Marvel). The idea of review bombing it because you don't like female superheroes is stupid, but the idea that we can't criticize direction decisions in the movie because it's about a female superhero is just as stupid.


To which you still havent explained why you think it's mediocre. And the Review bombing because of misogynistic views was very, very real why are people ignoring it?

As I already said, I thought that they tried to stuff too much plot into too short of a movie. Additionally, I think a number of direction decisions ruined the pacing and tension of the movie (look at the parts covered over with black, you have to mouse over them to see what's under the black). This is the kind of stuff, like how Spielberg doesn't show the Shark until the end of Jaws, that separates mediocre movies from great movies.

There were some good aspects of the movie. As someone else already mentioned the music was good. I really enjoy the synth stuff in the space scenes, previously done in Thor: Ragnarok and also another Marvel movie that is escaping me right now. The use of 90s songs, combined with the Blockbuster cameo, helped establish that it was the 90s, but in a subtle and fun way.

No one is ignoring the review bombing. It's on the TV news, the Internet news, the Facebook, probably the radio news (if there is still such a thing)...
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11447
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:48 am

If we really want to talk about the "review bombing" there's always R & P, right?
 
the
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 am

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:59 am

The Captain Marvel movie is OK. Think Memento meets Men in Black. It has its moments but it just doesn't come together like all the other Marvel films. The thing that stood out the most was how poorly the music was handled: it has the exact same problem with music as Suicide Squad. Nirvana's "Come as you are" is horribly out of place. It is not a bad song and it fits in the 1990's theme of the movie but just wrong to use for the scene it is in. No Doubt's "About a girl" makes sense for the film but misplaced inside of it. No Guns and Roses or Nine Inch Nails despite being on t-shirts in the film. Outside of the Avenger's theme, I can't recall any aspect of a true score. The script is very fast but I could tell some editing has been done. Curious what has been left on the cutting room floor. I suspect that two scenes in the final movie swapped order in which they appeared in the script but without a source to confirm, hard to say. Regardless, this movie needed a bit more polish in the editing room.

For fans of the comics, the dynamic of the Kree-Skrull war has changed here. I like the change but Marvel Studios continues to be inspired from but not inherently following the source material. Two characters from Guardians of the Galaxy are in this movie but I only recognized one of them off hand. The second one I recognized by their name. I had to look up if the other was the same actor and to my surprise he was. I guess the miracle de-aging that worked so well on Samuel L. Jackson doesn't work on blue-skin.

As for Brie Larson, she's fine as Captain Marvel. Her performance early in the movie is a bit wooden but she is supposed to be emulating an emotionless soldier who can't remember their past. She picks up at the end of the movie but there is little there to make me excited to see another Captain Marvel movie. There is no direct setup for a sequel (other than the expected tie-in to the next Avengers movie) so that could change as there is plenty to work with. Who knows, I felt the same way going from the first Captain America to the Winter Soldier.

Goose is awesome though.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4
 
kvndoom
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2739
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:47 pm
Location: Communistwealth of Virginia

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:34 am

superjawes wrote:
cphite wrote:
To be honest, I've never gotten this notion that in order to enjoy one movie in the series it has to "bump off" some other movie in the series. Each of them has good points and bad points; and every fan will have their own list of where each stands in relation to the others.
+1

It's still better than all of the DC movies ;D
Bold statement to say ALL the DCEU movies. That franchise as a whole is a complete mess, but Patty Jenkins and crew freaking nailed it with Wonder Woman.

tanker27 wrote:
All of them are equal, except for whatever Hulk one there was (I forget which one is a MCU one is was it Ang Lees?).
Ang Lee was pre-MCU. The Incredible Hulk (aka "The MCU Blind Spot") was written by Zak Penn, directed by Louis Leterrier, starring Ed Norton and Liv Tyler.

kvndoom wrote:
It's very strange why the neckbeards went all-in on this movie but stayed away from wonder Woman? Maybe it's because DCEU movies have tended to get bad professional reviews compared to Marvel flicks but WW was universally loved? Never know what's going through a fanboy's mind.
You and I might have very different definitions of "the neckbeards". Captain Marvel is doing well because Marvel have grown the fandom. Marvel movies are still for "the fans", but "the fans" include much of the general movie-going public. Getting a good Black Panther film last year and Captain Marvel this year is part of their bigger strategy to include their growing audience. Wonder Woman struggled because everything leading up to it was BAD. WB/DC never captured that general audience, so they couldn't (and still can't) compete with Marvel's numbers (the studio, not the character, but also technically the character).

Although, Wonder Woman 1984 could be an interesting test. The first one did well, they managed to retool Aquaman into an okay-performing film, and Shazam looks very good. We still have to wait until 2020, but by then I would not be surprised if WB finally have something that compares to a successful MCU box office.

I think we were talking the same points but you misunderstood my tone. The "neckbeard campaign" I was joking about was the review trolling, tanking CM pre-release audience scores to the point that Rotten Tomatoes changed their policy. Such a massive campaign did not take place for WW, and its audience score still sits at 88% A lot of people tried their damnedest to sabotage Captain Marvel before it even opened.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11447
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:50 am

kvndoom wrote:
lot of people tried their damnedest to sabotage Captain Marvel before it even opened.


Did they?

Rotten Tomatoes used to ask people if they "wanted to see" any given unreleased movie. A lot of people evidently didn't want to see Captain Marvel, it doesn't really matter why.

As such, the "want to see rating" sucked, and since this was commonly confused with actual audience ratings (despite how the movie was not actually released yet), Rotten Tomatoes jettisoned it.

Rotten Tomatoes then messes that up, because such "reviews" then evidently got added to the audience score once the film *was* released.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ls-1193280

And that's according to Rotten Tomatoes itself.


And yet, despite this, the headline is "sand-bagged by trolls".

That's not really accurate. At all.

It's fake news.

EDIT: Especially because of this:

Hollywood Reporter wrote:
As of 8 a.m., the film had a 33 percent audience score from more than 58,000 reviews. That is more than the total of audience score reviews for Avengers: Infinity War for its entire theatrical run.

However, around 1 p.m., the number of reviews dropped to 7,000 with a score of 35 percent. Rotten Tomatoes explained in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter that a glitch was responsible for thousands of reviews showing up on the site when they shouldn't have. According to Rotten Tomatoes, it had included audience reviews given before the film was released, something which is no longer allowed.


33% to 35% is not even meaningful. This is ridiculous as a narrative if the vaunted 50k "fake" reviews (i.e. Rotten Tomatoes self-admitted INTERNAL mistake) moved the overall opinion up 2 points. If almost NINETY percent of the volume has -that- little impact, do you even math?
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:13 pm

kvndoom wrote:
I think we were talking the same points but you misunderstood my tone. The "neckbeard campaign" I was joking about was the review trolling, tanking CM pre-release audience scores to the point that Rotten Tomatoes changed their policy. Such a massive campaign did not take place for WW, and its audience score still sits at 88% A lot of people tried their damnedest to sabotage Captain Marvel before it even opened.
Yup. I had your position backwards. My bad.

The score sabotage is something that has been going on for a while--at least since Batman v Superman. I've seen it happen with a few films, but my main takeaway is that Rotten Tomatoes is just kinda bad. Trying to combine dozens or hundreds of different reviews using different scoring systems (if they even have scores) doesn't really work, and adding in a self-reporting system just opens the door to even more abuse. Wonder Woman was "spared" because part of the bombing is to prove a "Pro-Disney Conspiracy" (check audience/critic divides on BvS and Justice League). Dragging the scores of a DC film with solid critic scores doesn't fit the goal.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11447
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:37 pm

kvndoom wrote:
tanking CM pre-release audience scores to the point that Rotten Tomatoes changed their policy. Such a massive campaign did not take place for WW, and its audience score still sits at 88%


There is no, and never was, any such thing as "pre-release audience score".

There was a "want to see" rating.

The confusion between the two is why Rotten Tomatoes got rid of the latter.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/ar ... e-changes/

Rotten Tomatoes wrote:
As of February 25, we will no longer show the ‘Want to See’ percentage score for a movie during its pre-release period. Why you might ask? We’ve found that the ‘Want to See’ percentage score is often times confused with the ‘Audience Score’ percentage number.


There is no relationship between one and the other, at least outside of the recent "glitch" (which I'm still not clear on: Rotten Tomatoes hasn't explicated it very well), and thus this comparison, at least on the specific basis given, doesn't work.

Meanwhile, this "massive" campaign in regards to Captain Marvel is:

1) a self-admitted mistake on behalf of Rotten Tomatoes
2) did not meaningfully affect the initial audience score at all (a measly 2 points) despite consisting of 90% of the review volume.

superjawes wrote:
The score sabotage is something that has been going on for a while-


Is it going on now?

The narrative as given is completely undermined by the factual reporting behind it.

That's... uh... kind of a problem... maybe?
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Glorious wrote:
Is it going on now?

The narrative as given is completely undermined by the factual reporting behind it.

That's... uh... kind of a problem... maybe?
Statement: Captain Marvel is being targeted by bad faith actors to negatively affect review scores.

This is fact. Rotten Tomatoes acknowledged the trolling problem on February 25.
RT Staff wrote:
What else are we doing? We are disabling the comment function prior to a movie’s release date. Unfortunately, we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling, which we believe is a disservice to our general readership. We have decided that turning off this feature for now is the best course of action.
(Emphasis mine)

Check out this article from February 19. That's an article from a month ago pointing out a problem with pre-release buzz (or anti-buzz) around Captain Marvel. If that's not enough, check in with Matt Atchity, who used to run Rotten Tomatoes.

@Matchity wrote:
As of Sunday morning, the “audience” score is only at 55%, but #CaptainMarvel is on track to top $155M at the box office. There’s simply no way that number reflects reactions of people that ACTUALLY bought tickets.

Even Transformers movies had higher scores on opening weekends, with lower box office totals. Opening weekend audiences are a self-selecting pool, and almost always more satisfied. The later, casual watchers knock the scores down.

It’s easy to see the trolling still at work here, because no one is checking audience reviews against ticket purchases. Every major movie site with a user rating is guilty of this.

Like...anyone who follows this kind of news is acknowledging this.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11447
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:35 pm

superjawes wrote:
Statement: Captain Marvel is being targeted by bad faith actors to negatively affect review scores.

This is fact. Rotten Tomatoes acknowledged the trolling problem on February 25.


First off, no, that's plainly not a fact. They were not review scores.

Rotten Tomatoes explicitly said this. I explicitly quoted them.

They were "want to see" ratings.

Second off, they "fixed" that by simply removing the want to see ratings. So why are we talking about something that happened when the film was released?

OH RIGHT, you're not even engaging with what I'm saying and what's being reported in regards to the actually enumerated 50k trolls.... :roll:


superjawes wrote:
Like...anyone who follows this kind of news is acknowledging this.


A "want to see" rating is literally not a review. By literal definition.

It's not just me saying this, it's Rotten Tomatoes.

They got rid of it *PRECISELY BECAUSE* of the confusion, conflation, and just basic misrepresentation that you are now exhibiting yourself.


---

Because simply put, a bunch of people, regardless of coordination or purpose, who honestly say that they don't want to see a film is not an abuse of anything. It is fundamentally different than the *FRAUD* of posting a bad review of a film you've never seen.

In particular, strictly related to the "want to see" situation on its own merits, this is ridiculous. I don't say this because I appreciate idiotic misogyny, but simply because if you simply merely flip it to the reverse, that is, a deliberate campaign of people positively "wanting to see the movie" *ONLY BECAUSE* of its heroine, would never, ever have been treated the same way.

Not because of "politics" or whatever nonsense, but because it benefits the promotion of the film.

It's the other side of the same coin, however, and that's the point.

The coin.

The money.

The controversy? Oh come on, how naive are you?

EDIT: To be even more clear, let's talk about "bad faith actors".

I keep hearing about neckbeards and trolls, and you yourself were going on about some elaborate theory of how ...? I don't know, "someone" is doing "this" to false-flag a "Pro-Disney Conspiracy".

Meanwhile, the people who are directly experiencing "this" literally said merely

Rotten Tomatoes wrote:
we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling


That might sound familiar.

It's from an article I cited, that you then cited, *and that you then underlined.*


We go from your (sorry, actually -mine-, I cited it *first* and then you ...cited it back at me? uhhhh....? lol) source saying "uptick" to "bordering on trolling" to ...


I don't know, who is doing this disinformation campaign to offset a supposed "Pro-Disney Conspiracy"?

Is there a "Cinematic Fandom Universe" that I'm missing that clears some of that byzantine allegation up? I think I'm missing the back-story of like several characters here, at least.

What's the narrative, here, again?
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11447
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:08 pm

superjawes wrote:
Like...anyone who follows this kind of news is acknowledging this.


Honestly, that's really my problem here.

"This kind of news".

superjawes, you shouldn't be following "that kind of news".

You're going on about some huge meta-debate in regards to complicated theories about how the DC movies and MCU have fandoms that are interacting online. Plus neckbeards? idk. As I said, it seems *really* complicated and I can't really follow it.

I'll try, very basically--unhappy counter-communities on the internet! OK!

Perhaps, then, like any number of online communities, these are "fandoms" that are exceedingly likely to get involved in incessant and internecine conflicts over matters of very little actual consequence. This is not new, and not unique to cinema or even comic books (which have it bad too: "WOLVERINE VERSUS SUPERMAN"--at some point the publishers wised up and started making money on those schoolyard taunts [A INSTRUCTIVE LESSON FOR THIS SCENARIO? Anyone? Beuller?]), here's a TR sort of example:

Vi? Emacs? AMD - Intel?

Thus, perhaps, having a metric that is fundamentally meaningless (want to see!) as opposed to actually extremely useful (ticket pre-sales!) is really the problem here.

In what possible state of mind would anyone care about an online poll (the abuse of which has been obvious for multiple decades)?

Oh, yes, if you "follow that kind of news" sure, it's really meaningful! I GET A VOICE! DOWN WITH <THIS SORT OF THING!> ----oh look! They are attacking us unfairly! <This sort of thing> is great, and they are conspiring against us! (per Hobbesian diffidence, this can get out-of-control easily even without either side intending aggression!)

BUT, If you follow the *RIGHT* kind of news, no, lol, it isn't and (you should) be aware that it's just going to cause impossible arguments that lead absolutely nowhere but embitter not only those involved but anyone who comes into contact with them unawares. Plus draw in REALLY FRAUGHT WITH PERIL REAL-WORLD CONTROVERSIES! (like this one! Great!)

So, while, I'm glad that Rotten Tomatoes got rid of a "feature" it never should have had, no, I'm not going to pretend it's part of your intricate meta-fiction.

It was just a bad idea, and that's demonstrated by how you don't even properly understand what the idea was. (hint: they were, unfortunately, trying to engage with the factors and actors behind that sort of meta-fiction because it drives traffic. It just ended as it always inevitably would, and blaming the untamable [but yet well-known] nature of the internet is [or -should- be] an extremely unconvincing misdirection).
 
superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: MCU

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:57 pm

::deep, deep sigh::

Look. I'm not going to waste my day arguing with you, Glorious. There's a (vocal) minority of people who want to see the film fail, and they've used tools on sites like Rotten Tomatoes as part of their campaign. It doesn't matter if "want to see" isn't the technical, literal, dictionary definition of "review". This is a thing that's happening, it's not just on RT, and it's really dumb. You've spent more brainpower responding to me than I ever gave to this nonsense.

Again, it's dumb. I think we agree it's dumb. Move on.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests