Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Strafe (Kickstarter)

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:41 pm

I'm considering backing this Kickstarter on principal alone.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strafegame/strafe
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Strafe (Kickstarter)

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:07 pm

What principle is that?

I checked the page, read some of the text, saw the video, their site. I'm still not sure what it's supposed to be. Retro software-rendered 3D that has something to do with Oculus VR? I find that not stating plainly what it is is quite annoying.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:31 pm

It's just a boring FPS game. I don't see the charm. Then again, I'm completely immune to nostalgia. (Yes, I played Quake in 1996.)

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:41 pm

meerkt wrote:
What principle is that?

I checked the page, read some of the text, saw the video, their site. I'm still not sure what it's supposed to be. Retro software-rendered 3D that has something to do with Oculus VR? I find that not stating plainly what it is is quite annoying.

I'm with Meerkt.

Worse still, it's procedural; They say "endless replay value" but I've always been put off by procedural level generation because it doesn't take me long to recognise the common building blocks, and then it's just a loop of familiar bits on shuffle, which has the exact opposite effect to me of making the game feel infinitely vast. It feels needlessly small.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.