Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Re: Please help! I can't stop buying games from Steam.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:33 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Give yourself a hard game purchasing budget. $60 per year for example.

$60? **Snort** Really? Even if I limited myself to 80% off games during Steam Sales I would run into that limit real quick and go past it.

Oh, I get it, you really don't want any help. You just felt like whining about Steam's grip over you.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:49 pm

One would hope the OP wasn't actually here for serious psychiatric advice.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:01 pm

I hope you can break your addition. There's really no point in buying so many games.

What's getting worse is that more AAA titles are being release for Linux. I can't reist... HELP!

Oh, I get it, you really don't want any help. You just felt like whining about Steam's grip over you.

One would hope the OP wasn't actually here for serious psychiatric advice.

I'm trying to be funny guys...

f0d
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:16 pm

UnfriendlyFire wrote:

Every time you buy a game, deduct that $60.

Of course that relies on you recording that purchase, and willing to stop spending once you the $60 limit.

im not sure about anyone else but my problem isnt the money i spend but the fact i cant download them and play them fast enough

i only buy games i think i will play and like but there are so many of them that its just about impossible to keep up
also the fact that i cant download them fast enough to keep up with my purchases

for me the only problem i have with cheap steam games is that there isnt enough time in the day to download and play them

recently started playing a game called gratuitous space battles which i bought a couple of years ago and is quite fun - i felt like something different to play and it was actually more fun than i originally thought it would be and the multiplayer makes the game fun for days after you demolish the single player

so the good thing about having so many games is that you have a nice collection of new games ready to go for when you feel like playing something different/new

so imo having such a huge steam games collection isnt a problem at all really

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:26 pm

whm1974 wrote:

$60? **Snort** Really? Even if I limited myself to 80% off games during Steam Sales I would run into that limit real quick and go past it.

I've sunk over 300 hours into a game that I bought for $30. The sequel, only 20 hours for $40, but that was mostly due to being too busy to fire up Steam.

TF2... Over 1000 hours and not a single cent into that game.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:34 pm

I've sunk over 300 hours into a game that I bought for $30. The sequel, only 20 hours for $40, but that was mostly due to being too busy to fire up Steam.

That's a lot of hours for one game. The most I have is 140 hours and it's Civ: Beyond Earth.

f0d
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:51 pm

whm1974 wrote:

That's a lot of hours for one game. The most I have is 140 hours and it's Civ: Beyond Earth.

there are loads of games i have spent over 1000 hours in
planetside 2 being the latest for me (over 1500) but previous battlefield games i have put 2000 or even 3000 hours into (bf2142 mostly)

i guess it depends on how you like to spend your free time, i dont go out anymore as i just think of it as a waste of time and money (used to spend over $400 a night at nightclubs and pubs) and my only real hobby atm is computers (which is cheaper than when used to spend my whole paycheck every week on doing up cars)

as far as hobbies go computers and gaming are pretty cheap and are a good money/time/fun ratio compared to some others

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:10 pm

as far as hobbies go computers and gaming are pretty cheap and are a good money/time/fun ratio compared to some others

I'm getting my money's worth for sure.

drobber
Gerbil

Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:57 am

Hi. You don`t need any help. You had to make a decision. What is more important to you? Here you need to weigh the pros and cons and understand how important all these promotions and sales are to you. By the way, guys, I would like to know your opinion about such a hobby as sports betting. Could this hobby turn into an addiction and what do you think of this https://winnercivi.com/ service? Thanks for the answers.

elliot15
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:53 pm

Buying games is so old fashioned now. Get Game Pass (even PlayStation has their own PSPlus), and most of your game needs will be met.