Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

When do you buy a game twice?

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:02 pm

I guess this goes for a lot of different scenarios:

1.) A game gets "remastered" for modern PCs, or at the very lease got a GoG re-release.
2.) A game comes out on one platform (console/PC) first and then you re-buy it for the other (GTA5, Diablo3)
3.) You had the game on physical media and lost/broke it and re-purchased, either digitally or physically (again).

OK I guess this goes for a couple different scenarios.

I bought Diablo 3 twice. One for PC, once for Xbox One. To me, they feel like completely different games thanks to the input methods and gameplay choices made to accommodate them. The PC version is a precision-laced dungeon crawl, and the console version is almost aRPG like - Zelda probably isn't the best example, but if you played Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast (another addictive action-RPG) or Beyond Oasis on Genesis...it took me back, I'll tell you that much. I liked the demo quite a bit on PS3 but the lower monster density made for kind of a dull experience, and I knew the Xbox One version would be perfect. So I bought the full PC game + expansion, and then last August at release I bought the Xbox One version. And to me it was worthwhile, because it really does feel that different. Separate, but related.

Loads of games have come out on PC "twice" and on a couple occasions I've bought them, and I've had to replace my StarCraft/Brood War and Diablo II/LOD discs. I think I've bought those games like 3 times each.

My question to you is, have you ever bought a game twice? Was it worthwhile? What do you require to do it?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: When do you buy a game twice?

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:10 pm

I bought Half Life twice because I lost it and could not remember my Steam info.
I bought first Guild Wars 5 times with all the expansions, so I ended up with 5 separate accounts,
I wouldn't do that again. I think I started buying multiple copies before they sold extra character slots and it just snowballed.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:15 pm

I've rebought at least one game because it was on a deep discount and I didn't feel like needing to pop a DVD in the drive for the DRM check. Another was a PC port of a Playstation 2 game (San Andreas), and others (the Descent series from GOG and the Id Software collection on Steam) because I know eventually I'll lose those old discs and they were on a good sale.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:22 pm

I bought FEAR for $10 on Steam after paying full retail for it around a decade earlier, for the following reasons:

* Having to patch my install, then copy over a cracked executable of questionable provenance to avoid putting the disc in every time I wanted to play was finally cramping my style;
* I already owned the other two FEAR games on Steam and it it started to bug me that the first wasn't there as well;
* $10 is ultimately not a lot of money for convenience and peace of mind.

GOG.com got $5 from me a while back for System Shock 2 for similar reasons. Getting System Shock 2 to even install from my (original retail) disc on anything NT-based requires passing along -lgntforce at the command line, and then requires extensive patching after the fact to behave on modern hardware with modern resolution support. If a company wants to make the title available for a new audience and spare me the tedium of hamsterizing the flywheel every time I feel like throwing it onto a new system, why not spend less than I could spend for a fancy coffee and help them out?

It's not something I make a habit of because I have an army of old discs, but sooner or later I need to start throwing ISOs or DOS game installs onto my Dropbox... I have a terabyte of cloud storage and might as well take advantage of it.
Last edited by Concupiscence on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Neely will buy these twice just cause they are on sale.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/prom ... -131270277

I did buy FF1 for GBA and it was a nice remake of the original from the NES. I was hoping for the ChronoTrigger remake, but square-enix squashed it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Resurrection

I see Square enix putting out some more FF's on the PC, but apparently they are ports from android, and I don't know how I feel about getting a game ported from a console, ported to droid, then ported to pc from a droid port?!?!

If S-E remade FF1, FF4, FF6 and Ctrigger for PC, specifically geared for PC, put allowed use of a controller and kept to the original, I would probably pre-order them all.
Last edited by anotherengineer on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:40 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
If S-E remade FF1, FF4, FF6 and Ctrigger for PC, specifically geared for PC, put allowed use of a controller and kept to the original, I would probanly pre-order them all.

Same here. In fact, I've already bought FF6 a handful of times - got the SNES cart (called FF3 here, anyway, not sure about Canada) when it came out, then bought the PS1 disc version as Final Fantasy Anthology. It was slow-loading, but I played it. When it came out on PSN as a Classic, I bought it to play on my PS3. I also bought the Android port. It supports controllers now, and the translation is fantastic. I'd gladly buy a PC version (or a new-gen console version). This is my all time favorite game and I have an unhealthy desire to own all its various iterations.

I'd also like to see a PC or new-gen console port of the Lunar 1 and 2, based on the PS1 versions' translations and voice actors. GameWorks has released a PSP version (which works on Vita, as well) but the translation wasn't as snappy and of course different voice actors. I still have the PS1 discs, but nothing to play it on as ePSXe does weird stuff to it. </3
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Like many others, I'm open to buying a decent remake of a classic from an antiquated system. For instance, I recently purchased the Resident Evil Biohazard remaster. I also plan to get a few things from GOG, but we're generally talking sub-$10 territory.

I would never buy a modern game twice for two different platforms, nor would I repurchase due to broken physical media (assuming I would ever purchase physical media again to begin with). As far as Starcraft/Brood War and D2/LOD, even if your disc was broken, you merely had to type your old key into Battle.net and you would have gotten a licensed downloadable copy. Now if they would only do the same for Diablo I

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:42 pm

Well, man I am stupid - bought Borderlands 2 and then some DL packs - never worked as expected, could never tell what i was actually buying. (never do that again.)

Bought HL and FarCry agian on steam to avoid the hassles of disks. Love em both still.

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:05 pm

I've got a bunch of duplicate keys from bundles I've bought. I rarely buy games I've played before, much less that I actually still have a copy of. I've started seriously considering it for some old games though, because it's getting difficult to find all of the old patches even if you're willing to screw around for an hour getting a game installed.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:00 pm

I'll repurchase if it means getting a DRM-free version of something I have on disk, but that's about it.

LostCat

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:15 pm

If it's $5 on Steam and I can't be arsed to hook up a DVD drive, as in Max Payne 3 just now. Someday, I might get a USB DVD drive so I don't have to be bothered hooking one up.

But the need for that is almost nonexistent now that I have a decent internet connection.
Meow.

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:29 pm

Age of Empires 2 is the only game I've bought twice. I had it on disc years ago and then bought the HD remake on a Steam sale. The HD remake really does offer something over the original, since it has in-game multiplayer matchmaking (which the original didn't have) not to mention HD/widescreen resolution settings. It's also my favorite RTS of all time.

Savyg wrote:
If it's $5 on Steam and I can't be arsed to hook up a DVD drive, as in Max Payne 3 just now. Someday, I might get a USB DVD drive so I don't have to be bothered hooking one up.

But the need for that is almost nonexistent now that I have a decent internet connection.

That's why I just keep most game backups on my HDDs. I do still have a DVD drive, but DVDs are so slow even compared to 5400RPM hard drives. Plus some games would take a ridiculous number of DVDs (like BF4 at 56GB) and be very tedious to install from DVDs. It would be like installing Win95 from floppies back in the day.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:28 am

travbrad wrote:
Age of Empires 2 is the only game I've bought twice. I had it on disc years ago and then bought the HD remake on a Steam sale. The HD remake really does offer something over the original, since it has in-game multiplayer matchmaking (which the original didn't have) not to mention HD/widescreen resolution settings. It's also my favorite RTS of all time..

That was my example as well. I think I have 3-4 CD copies plus Steam.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:27 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I guess this goes for a lot of different scenarios:

1.) A game gets "remastered" for modern PCs, or at the very lease got a GoG re-release.
2.) A game comes out on one platform (console/PC) first and then you re-buy it for the other (GTA5, Diablo3)
3.) You had the game on physical media and lost/broke it and re-purchased, either digitally or physically (again).

To replay on a console to play the next in the series when the DRM got too invasive.

To get the DLC when the game + DLC was cheaper than the DLC.

Humble Bundles.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:38 pm

I'd never buy a game twice if i could help it.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:49 pm

About the only time I'll buy a game twice is if there's a new GOTY edition that has all the add-on packs at a good price, as there are times when the add-ons/DLC cost more.

Oh, and I'm tempted to re-buy some things from GoG, like X-Wing and Tie Fighter, which I owned a long time ago, and which have been remastered for compatibility with newer operating systems.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:04 am

Borderlands 2 GotY edition with all the DLC was cheaper than the DLC's seperately, so I bought Borderlands 2 again.

Frankly, all the DLC stupidity with games is making me strongly consider boarding the HMS Yarrrr again. Every BL2 DLC combined totals less content than the original game and there's nothing really new, it's just more of the same with different colours.

Back in the old days we had community maps, mods, total conversions....
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

SuperSpy

Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:01 am

I think I bought Starcraft or Broodwar a second time because the disc was so scratched it was throwing errors, and it had some idiotic copy protection on it so I couldn't just do a careful rip to an ISO (IIRC some files on the disc were intentionally unreadable to throw off ripping programs).
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

superjawes

Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:54 am

HD remakes are good candidates for buying a game a second time. I enjoyed the Kingdom Hearts games, but my PS2 doesn't produce great results on a 1080p screen. The remixed editions fix that problem.

I've also picked up several digital versions of games from my childhood. Super Mario RPG, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid. These are usually pretty cheap ($5 or less), so it's an easy purchase.

I think the only "modern" double-purchase I've made was The Orange Box, which I had for Xbox 360, but picked up a cheap PC version to play Team Fortress 2 on the go. That led to my PC gaming problem...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

drobber
Gerbil

Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:40 am

Please, who can explain how Live Streaming can enhance my betting experience? I think there are other features worth looking out for that can make betting here https://betwinnerapp.in/ more enjoyable. Please, any ideas? If you have something to say, don`t hesitate and do that.

Oliverx98
Gerbil In Training

Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:36 am

If I buy a game it is usually a remake. But now I only buy games virtually from stores like royalcdkeys or cdkeys. Games are usually much cheaper there.