Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

TwoEars
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

SOMA - Survival Horror With Epic Sci-Fi Story

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:19 pm

I'm not usually one for survival horror games, but this one has such a good story that you really should give it a shot. It's a really intriguing take on AI, self-awareness, cloning and life in general. If you like Sci-Fi and can stomache the fact that it's survival horror you really should give it a shot. I think it's one of the best and most original Sci-Fi stories I've come across in quite some time.

http://somagame.com/

Or... if it's too scary you can just watch this guy play it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXba48MAx7I

lol :)

JackFunk
Gerbil

Re: SOMA - Survival Horror With Epic Sci-Fi Story

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:15 pm

A buddy of mine recommended this. I have Amnesia: Dark Descent, but haven't played it yet. I'm going to do that one, then give Soma a go. Looks great.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:17 pm

I'd have been more inclined to like Amnesia if anything actually happened while I was playing it.

Sound scares really don't do it for me.
Meow.

JackFunk
Gerbil

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:32 pm

Savyg wrote:
I'd have been more inclined to like Amnesia if anything actually happened while I was playing it.

Sound scares really don't do it for me.

Interesting. I didn't realize that was the approach. I'll still give it a go, as it is short, but my expectations are different now.

LostCat

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:38 am

JackFunk wrote:
Interesting. I didn't realize that was the approach. I'll still give it a go, as it is short, but my expectations are different now.

It is entirely possible I didn't get far enough in to say one way or the other. I just didn't feel engaged by anything but the things I found to read.
Meow.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:22 am

Savyg wrote:
It is entirely possible I didn't get far enough in to say one way or the other. I just didn't feel engaged by anything but the things I found to read.

Because you didn't get far enough into the game. Get past the first quarter or so, and soon after that, sounds won't be the only thing threatening you.

The Egg

Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:33 am

Sounds like a cool game. My tastes have been trending more towards stealth and survival-horror for the FPS genre in recent years. I'll add it to the list of games to keep an eye on.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:41 am

I'm about halfway through, and yes: after the atmospheric first quarter of the game, the tension starts ramping up. It's a good, smart storyline and it deserves your attention.
Last edited by Concupiscence on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

LostCat

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:14 pm

Meadows wrote:
Because you didn't get far enough into the game. Get past the first quarter or so, and soon after that, sounds won't be the only thing threatening you.

Well, there wasn't really anything to the game up to that point. It wasn't entertaining so I went to play something that was.
Meow.