Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

DOOOOOOM

Fri May 13, 2016 6:30 pm

Really? No one talking about Doom yet?
I'm enjoying it so far. Playing hurt me plenty seems more difficult already than I remember with hurt me plenty. Maybe I just have no skills. Actually I'm fairly sure I have no skills.

So far, I'm enjoying it.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: DOOOOOOM

Fri May 13, 2016 6:39 pm

I wonder if they wanted on purpose to have it called Doom 2016.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri May 13, 2016 6:47 pm

Look like an uninspired re-boot that throws elements from COD and Deadspace together.

It looks like Doom 3 if was done as fast-paced shooter instead of an ambushing shooter/horror/thriller. Not worth $59 + DLC BS, maybe $29 at best. I rather stick with Brutal Doom until prices come down. I will give Doom 4 a spin.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

HappySOB
Gerbil

Fri May 13, 2016 6:54 pm

Hello

I wasn't gonna get it after playing the beta but people are giving it very positive reviews. I ordered it because of that. Hope it's good. Loved the music on DOOM 2.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Look like an uninspired re-boot that throws elements from COD and Deadspace together.
Why are so many of your opinions so awful and based on such poor information? You didn't even make any attempt to research the game before you said this, did you? It looks like you lazily gazed at a few screenshots and decided your opinion on the game. 凸ಠ益ಠ)凸

It's nothing like Call of Duty! There are no ironsights, there's no reloading, there's no stamina gauge or regenerating health. The weapons have alt-fires, for chrissakes!

And it's nothing like Dead Space either, in that it's very fast-paced, not third-person, and there are no horror elements (beyond grossout stuff). You dunno what you're talking about.

Anyway, the game is pretty cool and I was really hyped about it initially but I've run into some performance problems and it's irritating me. Game runs well on AMD's latest (Tonga and Fiji), and like butt on anything older, which means my 290X is performing worse than GTX 960s. Not cool, AMD. Or Id, whoever. It ran gloriously in the multiplayer beta, so I'm not sure what changed. There's been some fuss about the game using OpenGL 4.3 on AMD and 4.5 on NVIDIA, but the Fury cards are killing it (performance-wise) and still using 4.3, so I don't think it's that.

I'd really like to hear from Id or AMD about the performance issue, but the GAME itself is great. I really feel like they took the classic Doom game and updated it for modern sensibilities without changing too much. If you took me from the late 90s and showed me this game, I definitely would have recognized it as Doom. Plus, the visuals and the music are amazing. I MIGHT like it even better than Rage! O(≧∇≦)O

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Krogoth wrote:

It looks like Doom 3 if was done as fast-paced shooter instead of an ambushing shooter/horror/thriller. Not worth $59 + DLC BS, maybe $29 at best. I rather stick with Brutal Doom until prices come down. I will give Doom 4 a spin.

Kinda felt the same about the footage I've seen, TBH. Peculiar art direction (borders on theft from Dead Space at times). Plus the continual raging at the bad guy over the comms was kinda cheesy.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2016 7:45 pm

auxy wrote:
[Anyway, the game is pretty cool and I was really hyped about it initially but I've run into some performance problems and it's irritating me. Game runs well on AMD's latest (Tonga and Fiji), and like butt on anything older, which means my 290X is performing worse than GTX 960s. Not cool, AMD. Or Id, whoever. It ran gloriously in the multiplayer beta, so I'm not sure what changed. There's been some fuss about the game using OpenGL 4.3 on AMD and 4.5 on NVIDIA, but the Fury cards are killing it (performance-wise) and still using 4.3, so I don't think it's that.

I'd really like to hear from Id or AMD about the performance issue, but the GAME itself is great. I really feel like they took the classic Doom game and updated it for modern sensibilities without changing too much. If you took me from the late 90s and showed me this game, I definitely would have recognized it as Doom. Plus, the visuals and the music are amazing. I MIGHT like it even better than Rage! O(≧∇≦)O

I have the 290 and no issues here running 2560x1440. latest drivers installed?

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 13, 2016 7:58 pm

auxy wrote:
There's been some fuss about the game using OpenGL 4.3 on AMD and 4.5 on NVIDIA, but the Fury cards are killing it (performance-wise) and still using 4.3, so I don't think it's that.

Looking at the specs over on AMD's website for the Radeon R9 290/290X series shows support for up to OpenGL 4.3 API. The Radeon R9 390/390X series however support OpenGL 4.5 revision, wonder why AMD only supports up to 4.3 for the 290/290X when the 390/390X is the same Hawaii GPU?
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9#
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 13, 2016 8:36 pm

Confirmed OpenGL 4.3, and I'm using a R9 280 with the Crimson 16.5.2 driver.
Last edited by biffzinker on Fri May 13, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 13, 2016 8:38 pm

I also think it looks terrible. Maybe I'm wrong, but I figure it'll be long forgotten in 6 months.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2016 8:41 pm

The more I play, the more I enjoy it.
Feels a ton like playing the original game with very minor gameplay updates and of course better graphics.

I am a fan.
The speed is the best part of it. unlike any modern fps I've played. Very fun.

I did not last long trying to use the chainsaw on everyone. Apparently other demons aren't kind enough to wait to attack till after I'm done chainsawing their fellow demons. :)

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 13, 2016 8:47 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
I also think it looks terrible. Maybe I'm wrong, but I figure it'll be long forgotten in 6 months.

Well it is built off the same engine that Rage used (id Tech 5), I highly doubt they would discard the work invested in version 5 while working on version 6.
id Tech 6

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri May 13, 2016 9:55 pm

auxy wrote:
Krogoth wrote:
Why are so many of your opinions so awful and based on such poor information? You didn't even make any attempt to research the game before you said this, did you? It looks like you lazily gazed at a few screenshots and decided your opinion on the game. 凸ಠ益ಠ)凸

It's nothing like Call of Duty! There are no ironsights, there's no reloading, there's no stamina gauge or regenerating health. The weapons have alt-fires, for chrissakes!

And it's nothing like Dead Space either, in that it's very fast-paced, not third-person, and there are no horror elements (beyond grossout stuff). You dunno what you're talking about.

Anyway, the game is pretty cool and I was really hyped about it initially but I've run into some performance problems and it's irritating me. Game runs well on AMD's latest (Tonga and Fiji), and like butt on anything older, which means my 290X is performing worse than GTX 960s. Not cool, AMD. Or Id, whoever. It ran gloriously in the multiplayer beta, so I'm not sure what changed. There's been some fuss about the game using OpenGL 4.3 on AMD and 4.5 on NVIDIA, but the Fury cards are killing it (performance-wise) and still using 4.3, so I don't think it's that.

The gamplay is nothing like the original Dooms expect IP content. It is just another uninspired shooter that tries to play the nostalgic card on old fans but it is actually catered towards younger COD-BF4 types (regenerating/easy health, tons of ammo, trigger-fingering/spray and pray, forced action sequences etc.)

Zenimax and Bethesda is just cashing out on the IP. The entire thing is a repeat of Serious Sam: BFE. The MP mode is a joke is completely overshadowed by today's competition.

This video is so prophetic, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Looks like DOOM is to much for a 7950 oced to run at anything but Medium Quality. I tried Ultra that only gets you a instant swing from 60 fps to 20 fps , and High Quality likes to yo-yo from 60-30 fps (most time spent hovering at 30 fps.) AA quality seems to have no effect on frame rate for me.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 14, 2016 12:03 am

Minor correction: Running the monitor with an overclocked refresh rate causes the game to run now at 40-80 fps. Usually hovers around 40 but it beats the 30 fps I was getting earlier, and still set to high quality. Now It feels like I'm gliding around.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 14, 2016 12:12 am

biffzinker wrote:
Minor correction: Running the monitor with an overclocked refresh rate causes the game to run now at 40-80 fps usually 40 but less annoying than 30 fps I was getting earlier, and still set to high quality. Now It feels like I'm gliding around.

Disable Vsync? (´・ω・`) Seriously, people play FPS game with Vsync on? WTH you doing? (*´ω`*)はぁー

Anyway, poor performance on your GPU is caused by the same thing wrecking performance on mIne. Given the anomalous nature of the slowness (doesn't follow a typical pattern and doesn't respond in an expected way to setting changes), I suspect it's a bug and not simply a lack of optimization.

Just wait for AMD new driver or game patch, especially Vulkan patch. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 14, 2016 12:23 am

The default setting for vsync is disabled but I did flip vsync on. Still running with the higher refresh rate with vsync made a huge difference for me. I rather the game not run faster than needed to prevent extra waste heat. It's been 75-80 degrees outside the last few days here in Alaska so the GPU/CPU is running hotter than normal when under load. I do have two 120mm Cougar fans blowing in, and two 120mm Cougar fans blowing out for case ventilation.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 14, 2016 12:39 am

Something is broken when clicking on "view stats" or "view all achievements" in Steam with DOOM. View all achievements/view stats sends you to your profile or to a friends profile.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 14, 2016 8:33 am

Rage was absolutely forgotten six months later. Sure the engine will be reused, but I doubt those servers have many people online come 2017

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 14, 2016 8:38 am

I'm still pretty sure iD hasn't known what the hell it was doing since Doom 2.

I actually liked Rage, despite its quirks, but everything else they've done...
Meow.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2016 8:48 am

Krogoth wrote:
The gamplay is nothing like the original Dooms expect IP content. It is just another uninspired shooter that tries to play the nostalgic card on old fans but it is actually catered towards younger COD-BF4 types (regenerating/easy health, tons of ammo, trigger-fingering/spray and pray, forced action sequences etc.)

Zenimax and Bethesda is just cashing out on the IP. The entire thing is a repeat of Serious Sam: BFE. The MP mode is a joke is completely overshadowed by today's competition.

This video is so prophetic, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw

:roll:
gameplay is extremely close to the original doom except the ability to "glory kill" which I thought I'd hate but is actually well implemented.

All of the modernization is very well done. It feels like doom of old to me.
However, just because I'm right doesn't mean you have to agree with me. :)

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2016 8:57 am

Savyg wrote:

I enjoyed Rage also. It wasn't the greatest game ever but was definitely fun.
Doom is MORE fun than Rage.. to me. So far. I have only gotten into the 2nd level... so yeah, it's very early.
The reason I like it, though is it reminds me so much of the original. Or more accurately... "this is how the original would have been if they had the power to do it back then."

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 14, 2016 9:59 am

I don't think of the first one as really a great game. I am not old enough to have been terribly impressed with it by the time I played it. Nostalgia works like crazy on nerds, so they should get some early sales.
To me, the game just seemed like gore and nostalgia. Meh.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 14, 2016 10:46 am

Auxy, don't mind Krogoth, it's not like you'll ever convince him of anything. Not only does the new Doom not have regenerating health and quick-timed events, but to insinuate that it took anything from Dead Space is ignorance of the highest order. If anything, it was Dead Space that took inspiration from Doom 3.

Opinions:
After watching a few videos and reading the preview on Ars, I decided I'd probably like the new Doom. However, this all hinges on whether they can provide a coherent story experience, or at least a coherent chain of events through the campaign.

I don't think the original oldschool Doom had any sort of lasting appeal other than how much better it looked and how much smoother it played than its contemporary titles. I had played the game, but never obsessed over it. Hell I didn't even like the music everyone's raving about. To me it was more of a 3D puzzle game (due to the elaborate level designs) with monsters in closets.

Fast forward 10 years, Doom 3 comes along. It was a game everyone on the internet seems to dislike, but it's one I've actually enjoyed. It's the first time I was intrigued by what was being presented. Nothing shows how little sense of irony Doom fans have better than their complaints about "monsters in closets", the exact thing the original Doom was full of! I played Doom 3, enjoyed it. Played the expansion, enjoyed that too. Didn't give me any sort of transformative life lessons or epiphanies, but I had a good time.

And so here we are, at the new Doom reboot. It seems fast-paced, seems action-oriented, seems to take the most liked aspects of the original Doom and underpin them with what I understand is a brand new engine. An engine that performs extremely well, according to the preliminary tests. There also seem to be several wide open outdoor Martian areas throughout, much the same way the original had many of those. There's a constant tension to keep moving and there's no cover, all good stuff. My only fear is that in an effort to please the old-timers, they've forgotten creating a coherent chain of events. Mowing down demons and getting to the "elevator at the end of the level" is not all I want to do. I'm older now, I want to know if I should get from A to B and I want a good reason as to why. Otherwise I'm not going to be immersed and I'm not going to appreciate the experience as a result.

Having said all of the above, I think the title is bloody annoying. It's the "Tomb Raider" nonsense all over again. "Let's call it the same as the old one and hope nobody notices there was an old one." This does not help the consumer and it's going to make documenting gaming history more difficult in the near future.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat May 14, 2016 10:57 am

As someone who got floppies of Shareware Doom from a friend [/infinite regress] and considers 4 certain WAD files as "dare the flames to save", it's finally time to ditch the old 2007WFP for a 1440p and a real card.

Stress relief for me has always been Doomsday Engine (good front-end) and a random level. If it's been a really bad day it's straight to IDDQD/IDFA and hit everything with a rocket from up close. Some version of Doom/Doom2 has been on every box I own since Shareware.

I AM the target audience for this release.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 14, 2016 10:58 am

Savyg wrote:

It's all due to the falling out between John Carmack and John Romero. Say what you want about Romero, he had a knack for original ideas and compelling design, and he needed someone like Carmack to rein him in every time he went too far. Their separation has led to Quake 2 on one end - the most bland shooter you've ever seen in the 90's -, and Daikatana on the other end, which couldn't even be released in the 90's.

Edit: keep in mind that Ion Storm wasn't only known for Daikatana; they've also released Anachronox, which was an interesting concept and was also critically acclaimed. On the flip side, John Carmack has not managed to release anything "critically acclaimed" ever since and it's probably for the best that he later decided to pursue other - related - goals.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 14, 2016 11:24 am

Captain Ned wrote:

I AM the target audience for this release.
You totally are. I fully agree. I, a young, cool, handsome, charming, strong, cool, smart, witty, clever, young, cool, and young man am not.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 14, 2016 12:12 pm

As an aside, I found this just after posting here. Potential map spoilers but no story so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogy87-6D4jQ

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 14, 2016 12:26 pm

Meadows wrote:
If anything, it was Dead Space that took inspiration from Doom 3.

Haha, as if that was possible. Doom 3 was only released in... 2004?!?! I need to go lie down.
Meadows wrote:
I don't think the original oldschool Doom had any sort of lasting appeal other than how much better it looked and how much smoother it played than its contemporary titles. I had played the game, but never obsessed over it. Hell I didn't even like the music everyone's raving about. To me it was more of a 3D puzzle game (due to the elaborate level designs) with monsters in closets.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, and tastes. I think that this shows that there isn't really any common ground in this argument, however. I wouldn't say I obsessed over it, but I think the original DOOM gets a lot of things right and is in general an extremely good game (leaving most of its peers to be forgotten by time). I can still lose a few hours in it if I fire it up today.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 14, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm currently playing F.E.A.R. for the first time, and loving it, so I'll probably pick DOOM up later this year, I've missed fast paced fragging.