Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: DOOOOOOM

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:31 pm

now I'm stuck on the cyberdemon. 2nd coming. keep dying. :D
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:40 pm

danny e. wrote:
now I'm stuck on the cyberdemon. 2nd coming. keep dying. :D

His fire slash pattern is jump, stay on the ground, and then jump.

You can strafe into the gauntlet of rocks he creates to aid in your dodging of his rocket barrages.

Your heavier hitting weapons can interrupt him out of the targeted shot.

Since he likes to charge and do his fire slash at close range, you're going to need to keep a moderate level of distance to have the breathing room you need.

The BFG will stun him.

You can also watch this:

https://youtu.be/6JvMPMo8INI?t=59m26s

Unfortunately this video strategy will require you to have gone down a specific weapon upgrade path. You need the Gauss Cannon to have the Siege Mode upgrade (aka Macross Cannon mode).
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:56 pm

I stopped playing Doom when I realized that one of the monster-things (big narley head, no neck, muscular upper body, always leaning forward, what's it called??) looked exactly like my first-level manager at the time. I started having nightmares of that monster-thing doing my Annual Performance reviews. Once I learned the cheats to enable all the weapons, I started looking forward to the dreams.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:55 am

Has anyone come across this easter egg yet?
https://youtu.be/TdaHBcVhk18
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:48 pm

biffzinker wrote:

I am pretty sure that video is a lie. :)
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:07 am

DreadCthulhu wrote:
biffzinker wrote:

I am pretty sure that video is a lie. :)

Oh, you. I ran into that on my first playthrough and laughed out loud.

MarkG509, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the pinky demons. :)

And I was surprised overall - on Ultra-Violence I beat both the Cyberdemon and the Hell Guards on my first try. And then that last boss took 20 friggin' minutes to figure out...
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:16 am

I finished the game on Nightmare and now I'm working on Ultra-Nightmare. Well, now I'm playing Salt & Sanctuary. ( *・艸・)

Overall I think Doom is a little too easy. I started out on UV and walked over the whole game without really trying. I think UV should have been 'normal' and Nightmare should have been UV. Nightmare isn't enough harder than UV to really be "nightmare". IMO. ┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌

Still an amazing game tho. Best single-player FPS I think I have ever played. (With the caveat that I don't like "modern warfare"-type or WW2 games.) If you haven't played it yet and you like FPS games then you're missing out! (*'▽')

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:45 am

I agree with Auxy; ultra-violence has been more or less a cakewalk for me.

Unfortunately, after an Overwatch binge I find that I cannot get Doom to run. It hangs at a black screen (with responsive cursor) at boot, and not even Ctrl-Alt-Del can get me out. Very odd. (R290X)

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:24 am

The only issue I've encountered - and it's a weird one - is that with my key bindings, it tells me to right-click the mouse to enter a level after it's loaded... and it won't. I have to alt-tab out of Doom and then hop back into it, and THEN it's fine.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:30 am

Kretschmer wrote:
I agree with Auxy; ultra-violence has been more or less a cakewalk for me.

Unfortunately, after an Overwatch binge I find that I cannot get Doom to run. It hangs at a black screen (with responsive cursor) at boot, and not even Ctrl-Alt-Del can get me out. Very odd. (R290X)

I had something similar on my GTX 970. Updated the drivers and everything worked. Maybe try that if you haven't already.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

jokinin
Gerbil

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:51 am

Concupiscence wrote:
The only issue I've encountered - and it's a weird one - is that with my key bindings, it tells me to right-click the mouse to enter a level after it's loaded... and it won't. I have to alt-tab out of Doom and then hop back into it, and THEN it's fine.

Same happens to me if I customize key bindings. If I use default keymap, it tells me to press space and it does what is supposed to.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:54 am

jokinin wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:

Same happens to me if I customize key bindings. If I use default keymap, it tells me to press space and it does what is supposed to.

I think you're right. It's a non-issue with a gamepad, so that passes the sniff test. Let's hope that's fixed in the rumored Big Patch coming soon, and that Vulkan support gets added in too.

freebird
Gerbil

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:06 am

I'll buy it and start playing when they implement the best features from the original DOOM & DOOM2. Customizable sounds/effect and expansion .wad files!!! Nothing better than some voice overs that sounded like Duke Nukem 3d talkin' smack after "Splooshing" a monster with the missile launcher or some cool user created levels... Also why I love FALLOUT3 & 4 where customization is King.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:29 pm

Looks like I was wrong about one important thing: while the open beta ran flawlessly in Wine, the retail edition's protected by some as-yet uncracked DRM scheme that doesn't run in Wine. So while the game itself should be fine, there's no way to actually play it until that problem's resolved.

Ugh.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:31 pm

Denuvo... (´;ω;`)

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:21 am

Concupiscence wrote:
jokinin wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:

I think you're right. It's a non-issue with a gamepad, so that passes the sniff test. Let's hope that's fixed in the rumored Big Patch coming soon, and that Vulkan support gets added in too.

I didn't even start playing Doom until I was happy with my video settings, keybinds and mouse speed. Spent at least half an hour in the starting room (or tabbed out googling for fixes)

To avoid getting stuck on "press space to continue" add "+com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1" to the launch options in Steam (or add it to the end of the Doom Shortcut if you're not using Steam)

I finished it on Nightmare (2nd playthrough) this Sunday and I'm putting the game down for now; I know that Ultra-Nightmare will just drive me mad with frustration and I'm happy that Nightmare was satisfyingly hard for a veteran Q3A clan member, but not so hard it frustrated me (I probably died roughly once an hour)

I can heartily recommend getting used to a 120-degree FOV if you're playing on Nightmare or Ultra nightmare - having that extra peripheral awareness makes a big difference IMO.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:57 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I didn't even start playing Doom until I was happy with my video settings, keybinds and mouse speed. Spent at least half an hour in the starting room (or tabbed out googling for fixes)

To avoid getting stuck on "press space to continue" add "+com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1" to the launch options in Steam (or add it to the end of the Doom Shortcut if you're not using Steam)

I frequently visit this site, and have it bookmarked. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home
PCGamingWiki - Doom_(2016) Essential Improvements
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:50 pm

I haven't experienced the issues with the "Press Space" bug, and I use a custom key map. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm not in the WASD crowd...I use ESDF instead so I always have to use custom key maps since they all default to WASD now.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:31 am

The bug only appears if you rebind right-mouse.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

kvndoom

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:19 pm

Installed Tuesday (ALL of Tuesday... had to download 50 GB !!), and started playing yesterday.

My early impressions? Well, I said years ago that Quake 4 is the game Doom 3 should have been. Quake 4 was about combat whereas Doom 3 was cheap jump scares. So this, it feels like Quake 4, it's all about the combat. It's also more frenetic than I'm used to. I just finished Shadow Warrior and Doom outpaces it by a huge margin. The name if the game is hitting moving targets while you have to keep moving yourself. Those Imps have uncanny accuracy. Standing still to aim is a rare luxury.

One thing I hate, and has been a problem with FPS's for a long time, is linearity. The original Doom games had maps that were huge and explorable, which let you go from one corner to the next any time you wanted to. Modern FPS's still feel linear. You're on an A->B path, and you can deviate from it some for the sake of finding secrets, but you can never go back to A once you've actually reached B. Level design definitely peaked in the 1990's. If you miss a secret, there will be a point where you can't go back and get it. FPS's of 2 decades ago didn't have that kind of limitation.

I'm having fun though... and can't beat the price (birthday gift :D ), and I hope when I finally beat it I will have the burning urge to start over and do it all again.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Has anyone tried out DOOM since the 2.5GB update on 6/30? New additions are Photo Mode designed for taking screenshots, and a new option to place your weapon in the center of the screen like classic Doom.

New Features and Optimizations

General:

Added Classic DOOM weapon placement/view model option (all modes)

Campaign:

Added Photo Mode (You ll find the new Photo Mode toggle in the game settings. It is available through the pause menu once you are loaded into a map via Mission Select)

Multiplayer:

Updated weapon balance (live as of June 10, 2016) Clan Arena and Freeze Tag now require the winning team to complete 5 rounds in order to win the match. (live as of June 10, 2016) Customization UI has been implemented to show all possible unlocks Cross Style option has been added to settings for MP.

SnapMap:

Added Original Author to the map info page Added a timeout for AFK in Lobby Added a property to allow map authors to choose if SnapMap will auto-manage (hide/show) hand-placed AI Added Enable/Disable to Shootable Trigger Added Sky/Window props Added an auto-rollback to previous version for corrupted maps Improved sorting algorithms for Most Popular map searches

Fixes

Single Player:

Fixed Steam Friends Ultra-Nightmare Helmets not populating the map Fixed freeze when opening weapon wheel at more than 142 FPS (PC) Fixed quit to desktop when clicking campaign after initiating Dev Mode (PC) Fixed IDKFA Trophy/Achievement not properly unlocking (all versions) Fixed PS4 crash when reloading checkpoint in Foundry Fixed some occurrences of the Every Nook and Cranny Trophy not unlocking after collecting all Doomguys (PS4) Fixed an issue where the game required Internet access (Xbox One)

Multiplayer:

Fixed crash while experiencing server connection issues (PS4) Fixed crash when a client suspends the game while a lobby loads into a match (PS4) Various cosmetic and gameplay fixes Matchmaking improvements (Fix for restrictive NAT types being chosen as dedicated server lobby host, fix for larger lobbies having longer matchmaking times, fix for Player getting left behind if they join a friend as the lobby countdown finishes)Bug and stability fixes

SnapMap:

Fixed Asian language font issues Fixed AI pathing error with certain types of props Fixed error where multiple maps share the same Map ID Various map error fixes Various logic fixes Various stability fixes

PC-Only:

Fixed Dev Mode incorrectly triggering when the user retrieves their own save data from Steam Cloud

Source: PCGamer

kvndoom

Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:12 pm

After playing some more, I redact many of my criticisms. :o

Replaying maps with your current upgrades, classic Doom levels, Rune Challenges, holy cow! The more I play, the better it gets!

The assault rifle is stupidly overpowered though. Oh well, I'm just using the tools I've been given. Enough typing! Back to Argent Labs I go!

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:28 am

kvndoom

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:28 am

Note to self- don't leave a battle area until all the enemies have been killed.

In Kadingir Sanctum, after using the blue key and encountering the lost souls for the first time, I backtracked to get the Rune Trial before I had killed everything. As a result the Lost Souls got frozen in place, and are invincible. The next door won't open with them alive, so I have to restart the level. :cry:

I am NOT looking forward to that fight with 2 Summoners and 5 or 6 Hell Knights again.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:34 am

kvndoom wrote:
Note to self- don't leave a battle area until all the enemies have been killed.

In Kadingir Sanctum, after using the blue key and encountering the lost souls for the first time, I backtracked to get the Rune Trial before I had killed everything. As a result the Lost Souls got frozen in place, and are invincible. The next door won't open with them alive, so I have to restart the level. :cry:

I am NOT looking forward to that fight with 2 Summoners and 5 or 6 Hell Knights again.

Prioritize the summoners - if you've got rocket lock-on, abuse it. The Gauss helps too, especially if you've already slotted a point into Siege mode. And if all else fails, chainsaw one of the hell knights to restock on ammo.

kvndoom

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:31 am

Well, it went good, and it went bad... simultaneously.

The snapshot the game takes for restarting levels is literally when you first set foot there. I missed the Gauss rifle the first time through Argent Tower. I went back and got it before my first playthrough of Kadingir, but restarting the level meant I no longer had it, again. So I had to redo Argent Tower to get the Gauss Rifle, THEN play Kadingir again! :cry:

But, on the flip side, I unlocked my super shotgun mastery, and being able to unload 4 shells in less than a second (however fast you can double click the mouse) is DEVASTATING. At point blank range a double tap will put down a Knight or a Summoner. It was beautiful. I was even waxing Barons and Mancubi with the SSG. Buckshot FTW!

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:54 am

Somehow, even beating the game on UV, I never mastered the double barrel. I flogged the crap out of the vanilla shotgun and HAR with minirockets, but seeing the mastered double barrel in action's a great excuse to hop back in.

kvndoom

Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:28 am

Concupiscence wrote:
Somehow, even beating the game on UV, I never mastered the double barrel. I flogged the crap out of the vanilla shotgun and HAR with minirockets, but seeing the mastered double barrel in action's a great excuse to hop back in.

If you unlock a mastery (weapon or rune), get to a checkpoint, then log out and go back to one of the easier levels to get the mastery. For the SSG I went to one of the early levels with lots of Possessed since they are easy to get twofers on. Once you've earned the mastery you can just continue your story mission and the upgrade sticks. (so long as you don't restart a level! heh heh... arrrgh)

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:39 am

Looks like the Doom Vulkan update is live. I can't wait to get home and try it now!

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:15 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
Looks like the Doom Vulkan update is live. I can't wait to get home and try it now!

I also see it's using OpenGL 4.5 now instead of 4.3 for AMD Radeon cards.

Switched over to the Vulkan API