Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Xbox One S, and Microsoft Teases Project Scorpio for 2017

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:52 pm

There are games that might do 1080p30 or possibly 4K30 (Destiny 2) and some that'll only do 1080p60 (Ark, which apparently is sticking with 1080p30 on the PS4 Pro) but the majority of devs that have spoken have said they had it running 4K60 within hours of getting a devkit.

The Titanfall 2 devs said the machine runs their game at 6K and downscales, or something like that, so I would have a hard time saying it's not a true 4K machine.

As to the CPU most of the graphics are done on the hardware command processor on the GPU, not on the CPU so it should be far more than capable. I'm going to have a hard time coming back to PC gaming unless something absolutely **** amazing happens in the next few years.
Meow.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:38 pm

LostCat wrote:
There are games that might do 1080p30 or possibly 4K30 (Destiny 2) and some that'll only do 1080p60 (Ark, which apparently is sticking with 1080p30 on the PS4 Pro) but the majority of devs that have spoken have said they had it running 4K60 within hours of getting a devkit.

The Titanfall 2 devs said the machine runs their game at 6K and downscales, or something like that, so I would have a hard time saying it's not a true 4K machine.

As to the CPU most of the graphics are done on the hardware command processor on the GPU, not on the CPU so it should be far more than capable. I'm going to have a hard time coming back to PC gaming unless something absolutely **** amazing happens in the next few years.

The weak CPU will still hold it back, and like I said before I believe it when I see it. I mean come on, even very high PCs struggle with 4K@60fps. The only games that will do 4K60 on PC or either older ones that been out for a while, and/or have rest of the graphics setting turned down or off to get even remotely playable performance.

Stop buying the marketing hype.

LostCat

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:50 pm

whm1974 wrote:

I've been gaming for thirty years now (mostly on PC up to this point though I had an x360 as well,) and you really think I'm just buying hype?

Erm...no. I don't do that. I'm talking about actual developers, not marketers or Microsoft.

You can believe whatever you want, and I'll continue to believe the developers.
Meow.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:11 am

LostCat wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I've been gaming for thirty years now (mostly on PC up to this point though I had an x360 as well,) and you really think I'm just buying hype?

Erm...no. I don't do that. I'm talking about actual developers, not marketers or Microsoft.

You can believe whatever you want, and I'll continue to believe the developers.

Even developers create hype.

LostCat

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:15 am

whm1974 wrote:
Even developers create hype.

Of course, with actual facts about their games (unless they're pretty far from release.) That's not called marketing (or even hype, which is usually associated with marketing.)
Meow.

LostCat

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:29 am

At any rate, with another 4.5 months before it's out it doesn't really matter...yet. We'll see a lot more of how things are then, but in the meantime there's already plenty to read over at http://www.eurogamer.net/?topic=digital_foundry (DF is as thorough in their technical PC+console comparison work as TR is on PCs.)
Meow.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:56 am

whm1974 is talking about image quality/fidelity. The image detail/quality shown in an actual real life picture on a 1080p screen is still many miles away from what even the 1080 ti can provide (in a game/3D environment, not still picture rendering).

Technically, you take any already made 1080p game, use the absolute simplest scalar to copy each pixel into the 4 4k pixels and voila, the game is running at 4k. Though i would agree there are many good ("This War of Mine" on one end to "Tales from the Borderlands") games that would scale w/o issue. We want the internal render target to be 4k. Want four times as much detail.

Ofcourse not like the original Zelda, Castlevania, Dragon Quest,.. werent the best games.

LostCat

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:24 pm

blahsaysblah wrote:
We want the internal render target to be 4k. Want four times as much detail.

So you're saying you want an Xbox One X eh. Cool. Me too.
Meow.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:04 pm

Sure i want a
LostCat wrote:
blahsaysblah wrote:
We want the internal render target to be 4k. Want four times as much detail.

So you're saying you want an Xbox One X eh. Cool. Me too.

Sure i want a Xbox X, but i need PS4 Pro. ;)

LostCat

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:26 pm

blahsaysblah wrote:
Sure i want a Xbox X, but i need PS4 Pro. ;)

So you're saying you want the one that's actually doing the thing you're complaining about (not being able to reach 4K except in less demanding games.)

I shall continue being confused.
Meow.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 pm

The PS4 does OK with 1080p-ish level content. The PS4 Pro should bring that to good level. The XX from specs should be good+ for 1080p. But than there is reality. The XO/S and XX are different designs, need total re-qualification of game to ensure no defects. The PS4 Pro can be treated as just more of PS4 if they want to be cheap. PS has a lot of exclusives that are exactly the types of games i like, Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles, The Last of Us... There were a ton more i liked, but im not sure they were exclusive.

To your point about 4k, sorry, i absolutely loved a lot of games on PS3 but wished for better image quality. The XX will be to 4k as the PS3 was to 1080p. Well, i think worse than that. You will see from good cut scenes whats possible with great 4K and how lacking the live action is from it.

To be clear, the resolution is a bit of non-sense. A 1080p shot of real world outside is still miles away from a 1080p AAA action game. Look at Witcher on console. Most of the budget was spent on Garret, you look at the house/NPCs,monsters, they were a bit turdy...

Lets not forget, the CPU was not improved much, just eye candy GPU.