Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Civilization VI coming out on October 21st

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:14 am

I'm excited about this game, and it looks like they've changed some of the gameplay. It doesn't come without it's share of controversy, however.

Due out in just over a week. I'll probably jump, but I'm thinking I'll probably wait for a few weeks after release. Pre-release doesn't really get you anything except for the early use of one particular civ (which I forget right now).

The only "first person shooter" games I've ever played were the old Mechwarrior series, and that's because it was well done; you really felt like you were inside a 95 ton mech with a real gauss gun. And the windscreen would break if you took enough shots there. I loved those games, and then I loved the first Mech Commander RTS game. RTS games still interest me from time to time, but I don't get into anything else of the FPS genre.

Is there anybody else who's looking forward to Civ VI?

Edit: I've also played Age of Empires III and one of the Command & Conquer games, as well as Sins of a Solar Empire. These are all RTS type games. I liked those, but Mech Commander held something "special", and I don't know what it was.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Civilization VI coming out on October 21st

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:20 am

Civ v is probably the game, after hon, I've played more than any other in my life. I play on deity, and i'm looking forward to six. changes look solid, and I support all the ones I've seen.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:41 am

We're speaking my language now, I'm counting the days and I'm stoked that a Civ release is FINALLY happening on a Friday instead of a Tuesday. Like SSK, I'm on board with all the changes I've read about. Harbor districts? What?! Non-coastal cities that can still build ships? Oh yeah! Just one of many major game-changers... Oh, and cities having their own happiness rating instead of a silly global one? Yes please.

I pre-ordered the 25th anniversary edition on Amazon because of the 20% discount on physical pre-orders. That makes it cost less than the digital delux version on Steam. I've been assured that it will arrive on Friday, shipping in advance of the release date, but I'm a bit nervous - I don't plan on sleeping much that weekend. In related news, I promised Jeff I'd have my Aimpad R5 review done before the 21st. ;)

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Loved Civ V but Civ BE really ruined it for me.  Not sure I'm willing to take a chance on Civ VI.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:33 pm

BE was not my cup of tea, but I was pretty sure from the previews that it wouldn't be (especially after a specific interview over on RPS). However, Civ6 is hitting all the right notes for me, and it's coming from the guys that made the Civ5 expansions - which are really solid. Lots of confidence here.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:03 pm

drfish wrote:
BE was not my cup of tea, but I was pretty sure from the previews that it wouldn't be (especially after a specific interview over on RPS). However, Civ6 is hitting all the right notes for me, and it's coming from the guys that made the Civ5 expansions - which are really solid. Lots of confidence here.

DPete27 wrote:
Loved Civ V but Civ BE really ruined it for me.  Not sure I'm willing to take a chance on Civ VI.

What is so bad about Civ: BE and Rising Tide? Yes there are some areas like the aliens that could use some improvement, but it is otherwise a good game.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:11 pm

I don't think it was broken or anything, I just got bored. It never had the classic one-more-turn pull for me and I only finished a couple games before I decided not to go back to it. :-?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:57 pm

drfish wrote:
I don't think it was broken or anything, I just got bored. It never had the classic one-more-turn pull for me and I only finished a couple games before I decided not to go back to it.  :-?

At least some changes I would made is the Aliens would get better and you could settled the planet yourself fighting the Aliens.

Arxor
Gerbil

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:10 pm

There are some quality-of-life changes that I guess I like better in Civ V, but... I prefer the overall gameplay of Civ IV.

Does that make me a curmudgeon?

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Hardly, it may put you in the majority. Civ5 was/is diviCiv. :lol:

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:35 pm

be was a different team, and not core civ team. be was a terrible game, and they should have been embarrassed to release it.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:02 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
be was a different team, and not core civ team. be was a terrible game, and they should have been embarrassed to release it.

In what way was BE terrible? It was a fine game.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm going to give it at least a few months; god willing it'll be on the Steam Summer Sale. I plan to use the winter sale to hopefully catch up on the other good releases from earlier this year now that they're all patched.

But good god yes I am so stoked about this. Civ II was my intro to PC gaming so heavy nostalgia
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

BIF
Topic Author

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:27 pm

Y'all can count me in the group that likes BE.

The main thing I liked best about BE was the "tech web" instead of a tree.

The thing I like least is that no matter what planet you choose, you get the same aliens and same topography types, with only the actual "layout" of the planet being different.

I realize that I was expecting too much with a different set of aliens and truly diverse planets, but hey, if you're choosing which planet to go to, they SHOULD be different. And how can EVERY planet out there have manticores and Earth doesn't?

But aside from that, I like BE and still play it, along with Civ V and Galactic Civ III (different company). I like them all and I think the hex tile based games work very well. I haven't had any desire to go back to Civ IV.

strangequark18
Gerbil

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:22 am

I still play more Civ 4 more than 5. It's odd, because Civ 5 made a huge improvement by switching to hexagonal tiles allowing better combat strategy. Of course they also made a ton of graphical improvements. But there's just something that I prefer about Civ 4. It might be the non-combat strategy elements (I hate the luxury resource trading, global happiness, etc.), or it might just be that Civ 4 is smoother. I like to play on huge maps with custom historical scenarios and 18 civs. In Civ 4, I can actually get through a 1800 A.D. turn or higher without losing motivation b/c of the loading time. Even with a solid PC build, it just takes forever.

I haven't seen any beta gameplay or whatever for Civ 6 but I really hope it delivers. Always loved these games.

ChicagoDave
Gerbil

Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:39 pm

Looking forward to playing it although I'll be holding off until a GOTY edition comes out including all of the DLC.  Also won't play until there's a Throne Room/Palace mod :)

Shambles
Gerbil

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:03 pm

I'll be doing the usual waiting game.  Once the game has all the expansions out and is feature rich I'll pick it up.  Just like it was smart to with Civ 4 and 5.

Kougar

Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:44 pm

Any of you Civ nuts tried the 43 Civ AI mod on a super-giant earth map yet? Every single Civ is used once, typically only 20-25 remain by the end.  :D

I'm optimistic for VI. Already sounds like religious combat will need a major update in an expansion as the AI still amasses missionaries to assault in waves, but will have to play to see for myself. The districts idea at least on paper could fix the majority of problems posed in V, but I'm wondering about the new army mechanics.

whm1974 wrote:
What is so bad about Civ: BE and Rising Tide? Yes there are some areas like the aliens that could use some improvement, but it is otherwise a good game.

The tech web and associated wonders was probably the best idea in it, I loved that. But the game was extremely static, it didn't have the dynamics of V and even the AI was fairly simple to figure out and predict compared to V. I still play V but I haven't touched BE in at least a year.

Shambles wrote:
I'll be doing the usual waiting game.  Once the game has all the expansions out and is feature rich I'll pick it up.  Just like it was smart to with Civ 4 and 5.

Heh you do that. It only took three years to happen, I'll just enjoy the game for those three years while you wait.  :)

Bundle Stars had a 25% off promo on the deluxe package of VI that lasted one weekend. Hoping to see another.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:40 pm

Kougar wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

The tech web and associated wonders was probably the best idea in it, I loved that. But the game was extremely static, it didn't have the dynamics of V and even the AI was fairly simple to figure out and predict compared to V. I still play V but I haven't touched BE in at least a year.

I haven't played Civ V ever since I got Civ: BE and Rising Tide. One thing I miss in BE is being able to build  customize units like you could in SMACX.

TheEmrys

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:43 am

So, just spent an hour or so playing. Its weird. It is like dating a girl for a long time, then she goes to Europe for a year, comes back with some tattoos, smokes, and now has an accent. Its sort of the same girl, but it doesn't feel 100% like its going to work out.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:19 am

I woke up early to play for a couple hours before work. I think it's really promising but it's far too early to judge. However...

It seems to me that the camera FOV is pretty jacked up in 21:9. I forgot to take a screenshot before I left but the trapezoid on the min-map is much wider at the top and narrower on the bottom than the screenshots I'm seeing of 16:9. I poked at the cfg files I could find but didn't see anything obviously related to the FOV.

The game is playable in 21:9 and the UI is totally fine. It's just the camera angle that is bad, everything is tilted off into the background far too dramatically, I want to have more of a top-down view than I'm allowed. Hopefully it's a simple fix or something they address in a patch. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

Other than that one technical issue that will only impact a minority, I can't wait to get home and play more. Just started my first harbor district. Cities that can build boats but aren't on the coast be crazy.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:39 am

drfish wrote:
I woke up early to play for a couple hours before work. I think it's really promising but it's far too early to judge. However...

It seems to me that the camera FOV is pretty jacked up in 21:9. I forgot to take a screenshot before I left but the trapezoid on the min-map is much wider at the top and narrower on the bottom than the screenshots I'm seeing of 16:9. I poked at the cfg files I could find but didn't see anything obviously related to the FOV.

The game is playable in 21:9 and the UI is totally fine. It's just the camera angle that is bad, everything is tilted off into the background far too dramatically, I want to have more of a top-down view than I'm allowed. Hopefully it's a simple fix or something they address in a patch. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

Other than that one technical issue that will only impact a minority, I can't wait to get home and play more. Just started my first harbor district. Cities that can build boats but aren't on the coast be crazy.

It is likely an issue with camera since 21:9 ratio is a niche and got easily overlook during QC. Don't worry 16:10 and 16:9 had the same issues back when they were the minority while the masses were either on 4:3 or 5:4.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:42 am

I understand, just soliciting help. I'm hoping the internet comes up with a release-day fix, but so far as I can tell, I'm the first once asking about it.

BIF
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:13 am

TheEmrys wrote:
So, just spent an hour or so playing. Its weird. It is like dating a girl for a long time, then she goes to Europe for a year, comes back with some tattoos, smokes, and now has an accent. Its sort of the same girl, but it doesn't feel 100% like its going to work out.

I don't want to prejudge. What kind of tattoos? What kind of accent? :P

But yeah, the smoking thing is bad.

I probably won't be able to hold out the entire day today. Maybe I just want to see (ahem) "all" of the tattoos...

Redocbew

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:41 am

A little ink is fine, but if there's a lot it means trouble.

...or so I've heard...

For a while I would binge pretty hard on Civ V, but eventually I lost interest.  Getting established was the hard part, then it was often quite a grind to actually win.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

TheEmrys

Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Played some more today. I can now put my finger on my issue.

Civ V spawned: One More Turn!
Playing Civ VI so far: Maybe something more interesting will happen in the next turn.

Its just not the same amount of gripping. I am completely ungripped. I am stumbling around trying to use tactics I used in Civ 5, but without citizens to worry about happiness anymore, I am less sure of my build orders. And this nevereending problem with housing..... ugh.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:07 pm

I've got no problems or complaints about systems or mechanics. I've adjusted to the camera as well. My only complaint is the brain-dead [combat & city building] AI. So disappointing that we have to deal with that yet again.

Kougar

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:04 am

Yeah, the AI seems to be even more dumb than the one in V. It seems to avoid districts entirely in most cities, also goes to war when it has nothing to gain and a lot of stuff to lose. Then it holds a grudge for the entire game if you capture or raze one of its cities in response. It also gets crazy gold bonuses but doesn't spend it on upgrading old units... city-states don't even bother so barbs tend to beat them up later in the game. 

Generally I like the mechanics, I think overall the game mechanics are more balanced than V ended up being, the happiness mechanic was too easy to exploit and there was no counter to massive population vertical cities like NYC. That's countered by housing and amenities now, which allow for large empire expansion as long as there's some lux here than there. 

I just wish Firaxis would be more aggressive with patches. It seems like they are going to go back to the quarterly update cycle which is far too long to fix zero-day bugs and exploits.

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:59 pm

During evening while I'm at the desk tinkering around, I've been watching some guys and gals play this on twitch. I kind of like it and might play this in the future.

The one game I do not understand at all is Overwatch. I've seen scenematics and movies about it and it looks really good. The game itself is a head scratcher for me.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

Kougar

Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:54 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'd strongly recommend Civ VI if you liked V. But because Firaxis won't be releasing a patch for at least another month, you might as well wait until the Steam Xmas sale to snag it. 

The exploits are too severe to even bother with multiplayer and the AI is too broken for single player once you learn the game and mechanics. Currently anyone can exploit the AI to get any items and gold they want via the trade process, the AI will in effect "pay you" to take things off its hands. So I wouldn't trust multiplayer games unless it was with good friends only.