Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Andromeda

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:24 am

Cripes that multiplayer is pretty :o I know it's been ages since ME3 but still.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:49 am

Airmantharp wrote:
leor wrote:
Having 3 powers at your disposal instead of 8 seems very limiting, especially given how many are offered.

This is one thing that's got me thinking, because I literally use just three powers: Concussive Shot, Overload, and Incinerate.

That's it.

I've dumped points into Assault Rifles and Sniper Rifles, which is all I carry, and started dumping points into the passives in the Combat/Soldier and Tech classes. Don't have much use for biotics.

So I'm not really sure what to make of it. I can, by myself, burn down everything I come across (on Normal). I'm wondering if the game is even worth replaying at this point.

You should up the difficulty.

Right now I am using Singularity, Charge, and Pull on insanity. While it does its job with Biotic explosions everywhere its a challenge for some of the bigger stuff. (Full Biotics for one of my presets)

Charge with the jetpack and/or Biotic jump is really interesting. I can jump and charge from midair to get to mobs behind cover. Something you could never do in the OT. It also makes jumping puzzles a breeze. Or just to get to high places, although I've gotten stuck in a few places. (I've tried to bug report these when I can)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:03 am

Hell, I've taken advantage of the soldier's toughness on Normal and gone mostly melee when clearing out Kett and in MP. Just using the 'dodge' function and melee'ing down for a stun is similar to what Vanguards used to do.

Oh, and that Remnant ice gauntlet- great CC weapon, freezes most on contact, and half the time your teammates can smash them.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 am

Ooh I need to find that one!

I am glad they added a game+ mode to MEA. It feeds my completionist soul. Much like in the Witcher 3.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:37 am

tanker27 wrote:
Ooh I need to find that one!

I am glad they added a game+ mode to MEA. It feeds my completionist soul. Much like in the Witcher 3.

That sounds nice. As more and more user reviews come in, it seems like Andromeda is very playable and fun. Bugs, sure, but clipping doesn't bother me, I've played MMOs. The animations are jarring but hey, I survived Fallout 3/4.

The real issue is that there doesn't appear to be much (any?) story branching, which is a deal-killer for me because that's really what ME is all about.

There are good shooter games and good RPG games, but what really made ME stand out to me from all those is that my game wasn't the same as anyone else's.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
The real issue is that there doesn't appear to be much (any?) story branching, which is a deal-killer for me because that's really what ME is all about..

At first I wasn't sure what you were talking about. There's the main quest, then loyalty quests, then planetary quests, ark quests, and finally fetch quests. Then I realized what I think you mean and that is decisions you make in conversations. In the OT, as in Dragon Age, you could have wildly different results based on decisions you made in conversations. Ultimately resulting to different endings. (including why everyone hates ME3 and its three ludicrous endings) In MEA there are some but I would call them superficial. I am about 30 hours in and maybe 1/2 way through the main story and it "seems" that all decisions lead you down the same path. This could change at anytime I guess. But Honestly I do not know. I am very reluctant to read any spoilers and or reviews.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:58 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
The real issue is that there doesn't appear to be much (any?) story branching, which is a deal-killer for me because that's really what ME is all about..

At first I wasn't sure what you were talking about. There's the main quest, then loyalty quests, then planetary quests, ark quests, and finally fetch quests. Then I realized what I think you mean and that is decisions you make in conversations. In the OT, as in Dragon Age, you could have wildly different results based on decisions you made in conversations. Ultimately resulting to different endings. (including why everyone hates ME3 and its three ludicrous endings) In MEA there are some but I would call them superficial. I am about 30 hours in and maybe 1/2 way through the main story and it "seems" that all decisions lead you down the same path. This could change at anytime I guess. But Honestly I do not know. I am very reluctant to read any spoilers and or reviews.

I'm slightly ahead of you at 50 hours, and I haven't seen it arc yet; but the first half of the game appears to be getting all three of the unclaimed planets 'habitable' and settled. I'm still working on the last planet, which I should finish in the next two or three hours or so, after which I'll go after the Archon.

the
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:42 pm

The other thing I loved about ME is that there is often more than one solution to get things done. Noveria in the first game is a prime example which also impacts the later games in small but noticeable ways.

How much of that is in Andromeda?

Actually for those who completed the game, how much setup is there for a Andromeda 2? How much of this game can they go back to in a meaningful way?
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:31 am

EA still sucks.

I'm 20 hours into the game and I've encountered a show-stopping bug that hangs forever with 26% CPU usage on the i7-6700K.
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Fo ... 0#U5954420
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Oh, if that were only it.

I'm seeing reports of save-game bugs, where dying after a manual save locks the game in a loop and necessitates a game reload.

And I ran into a great one- after a locked sequence (a story sequence where you cannot manually save, ever) I was sent back to the ship, where my bridge was shut for a QTE but would not open.

I.E., game broke, screw you, hope you don't mind replaying that whole last sequence only to have the bridge still be locked!

(it wasn't after replaying again, but man, was that retarded)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:12 am

Yeah I encountered a bug where you can't talk to Niilj. At one of the prison camps. I've left the planet and gone back from time to time and still can't talk to him. I'm wondering what other quests may be gated behind him. This quest has been bug reported so many time that there's 20+ pages on it. (Because of this I save more frequently)

I am hoping for another patch soon, like in the next couple of days.

Even with the bug(s) I'm still having fun with the game.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

LostCat

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:56 am

I had to let him follow me around a bit before I could talk to him, I remember that. I assumed he was just making sure the Kett were gone, since all the prisoners had mentioned getting a gun or whatever.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:09 am

LostCat wrote:
I had to let him follow me around a bit before I could talk to him, I remember that. I assumed he was just making sure the Kett were gone, since all the prisoners had mentioned getting a gun or whatever.

Yeah that's what you need to do. But it's not intuitive. I left the area without talking to him which is what triggers the bug. I looked at my map when I moved on and was like "I thought I completed that", went back and ...then yeah. :?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:59 am

Alright, I beat it. Origin is reporting 75 hours, could probably shave quite a few off not running around stupidly during the preview as well as exploring systems with no landable planets.

Overall, it felt like Mass Effect. I'll say that the ending didn't leave me begging for more like the first game, but neither did the second or third- feels mostly like the second, as you understand that there's more out there and that while you've won a victory, it ain't over.

General jerkiness, weird facial animations, stuff and NPCs popping in and out persisted; as I've been reminded elsewhere, this is all token Mass Effect stuff. The polish that I'd/we'd hoped for founded in our embellished memories isn't there, but the game does work.

So call it a solid 8/10. At the very least, they upgraded the cursing!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:10 am

Airmantharp wrote:
At the very least, they upgraded the cursing!

I was floored when my FemRyder said "$#1t".

So 75 hours, what percentage of completion?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:44 am

I'm about 27 hours in now, but I'd say 10 of those hours have been spent in multiplayer. Basically, whenever the map opens up and there appears to be some tedium ahead, I take a long break to play some MP and get in a lot of shooting.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:05 am

southrncomfortjm wrote:
Basically, whenever the map opens up and there appears to be some tedium ahead......

Yeah I get ya. But all Bioware games are tedious, its world....err....Universe building.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:37 pm

I tried four different saves. The game ways locks up when I get back to the same point. :-(
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:43 am

tanker27 wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
At the very least, they upgraded the cursing!

I was floored when my FemRyder said "$#1t".

So 75 hours, what percentage of completion?

Oh, that ain't nothing. They go all out.

Also, this was at 95% completion, with a stack of unfinished quests under 'Additional Tasks', mostly ones that you just have to know where to look because they aren't tracked on the map.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:03 am

At 75% through on insanity with using black widow sniper and tactical cloak. Had a friend over the other night who loved the series and didn't know the new game came out. I let her make a character and play the opening mission (on casual difficulty). I jumped back on my character and started one shotting people with shields with my heavy pistol. Checked game settings and sure enough, it saved my insanity run to casual. The setting is supposed to be unique to each character file so I'm pretty pissed. Looks like I will have to grab the insanity achievement on my second play through.

Sigh
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:05 am

Looks like Bioware will be making an announcement on April 4 with plans on support moving forward. They still want bug reports sent to Answers HQ.

So it looks like we probably wont have a patch until then at the earliest. :/
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:44 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Looks like Bioware will be making an announcement on April 4 with plans on support moving forward. They still want bug reports sent to Answers HQ.

So it looks like we probably wont have a patch until then at the earliest. :/

This is why buying a game anywhere within 3 months of launch is just not a good idea. We'll struggle to play through the game and finish it before patches are released that fix the worst bugs.

Bugs that I've been getting are:

-Sound completely cutting out in multiplayer
-Multiplayer force closing the game randomly
-Game losing priority for no apparent reason
-Suvi shutting down my romance attempt before it really started
-Sometimes being unable to revive character in single player
-Sometimes being unable to send APEX team out on missions that I could play in multiplayer (that was a big issue over the weekend, not getting it anymore)

Probably a few other smaller or isolated ones I'm forgetting.

I'll probably finish this playthrough in the next two weeks, then stick to MP until the patches come out, then go back and do a run through as FemRyder.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

LostCat

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:02 pm

I haven't really encountered any. My friend who's a bit more adamant about his graphics settings had some serious glitching when he ran out of memory though, which was kinda funny.

But yeah with Bioware games it's always good to wait for at least the first patch if there's any concern.
Meow.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:26 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Oh, if that were only it.

I'm seeing reports of save-game bugs, where dying after a manual save locks the game in a loop and necessitates a game reload.

And I ran into a great one- after a locked sequence (a story sequence where you cannot manually save, ever) I was sent back to the ship, where my bridge was shut for a QTE but would not open.

I.E., game broke, screw you, hope you don't mind replaying that whole last sequence only to have the bridge still be locked!

(it wasn't after replaying again, but man, was that retarded)

Draw and holster weapon is one fix to the cannot move after load game or cut scene.

If a way is still locked when it should not be the answer is load game.

Worst for me playing on a Shield TV is the Windows screen blank. if screen blank comes on and I have to re-load the game I have to go to my PC and wiggle the mouse to wake the screen.

other annoyance is game always reloads on Shield to 720p instead of 1080p. I have to remember to change it each time or the quest text is HARD to read.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:33 pm

LostCat wrote:
Cripes that multiplayer is pretty :o I know it's been ages since ME3 but still.

As in you enjoy it? If you want to play, add me on Origin. Same username there as here.

I've been leveling my Human Adept almost exclusively. He's level 17 I think, and he's a melee guy in a lot of ways. Most of my kills are from punching dudes in the face since I have a melee damage boost and I recoup shields with every hit. I can go toe-to-toe with some pretty heavy enemies and live.

Also, if you play the MP a lot, make sure to read some articles on how to get the most out of the packs. Basically, you want to buy the Basic packs until you max out all your weapons and common characters since, if you don't, you'll often get them in much more expensive packs. Maxing those items with lower level packs removes them from higher level ones. Only things I've managed to get to X are my Katana shotgun and Predator (Carnifex?) pistol.

LostCat

Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:45 pm

I tried that with ME3 MP and I *still* haven't run out of commons, so it's kinda...meh. Maybe later, for now I'm only interested in acquiring more rares.

(Also, I saw you in multi once I think hah :) )
Meow.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:02 am

LostCat wrote:
I tried that with ME3 MP and I *still* haven't run out of commons, so it's kinda...meh. Maybe later, for now I'm only interested in acquiring more rares.

(Also, I saw you in multi once I think hah :) )

It takes an absurdly long time to get rid of all the commons. And yeah, Basic packs aren't that exciting.

in MP, was I punching a Remnant in the face? Cuz I do that a lot.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:25 pm

To be honest, as soon as I could do silvers, I've been starting to do like 4 silver runs, then go for generally 2 bronze, 2 silver and 1 gold pack. Having that guaranteed rare is awesome. Getting the right rare for you class instantly bumps you up to silver.

I mean, I only have total of 7 hours in MP, played Asari adept(10) and Infiltrator(14) and got a several ultra rares(valiant and hurricane) already, and albeit that I'm missing the ones I really want, Kineticist and Black Widow, I got both a Scattershot(ammoless) and a Vanguisher(better then valiant, by far) in rares, and for an infiltrator, getting that Vanquisher early just made me silver capable from basically any rank, and when playing well, you can start doing gold missions from rank 13-ish infiltrator with a decent team. Then there's really no use not going for a mix of silvers and gold boxes until I have at least lvl 1 in all of rare drops before you start filling out.

3 more levels and I'll be easily gold capable in my infiltrator without too much trouble. Maxing Cloak, and both class ability trees and just leaving the other 2 skills out, has a really good impact on damage resistence as well as damage output, and getting that extra 5th shot in the max(4 for black widow if you get it unless they capped it to 3).

Also, don't forget to always have a strike team active, set it through the mobile phone app while on the go, and if you don't want to go for a second team, don't, but have one team active at all times since the rewards from those, can help you get the Juggernaut shield and Thermal Clip permanent upgrades, which is a huge boost depending on what you are playing.

LostCat

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Hmm. Supposed to be an announcement about upcoming changes today afaik, but they seem to be taking their time.

I know they're all west coast peeps but you'd still expect them to have said stuff already if they were going to.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:59 pm

They made it. I cant link because I'm at work but a new patch Thurs. Lots of changes including VO and Facial animation and eyes on humans.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')