Moderators: renee, Hoser

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Andromeda

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:39 am

US release 21 March
EU release 23 March

It's up for preorder on Origin right now!

the
Gerbil Elite

Re: Andromeda

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:25 am

Considering the mess they made with the ending of ME3, I'll wait patently for reviews of actual players who made it to the ending for their opinions.

Then again, from what has leaked from the story so far I have a good idea of what the twist is at the end of Andromeda already. It is said the game takes place 600 years after ME3. In reality it is closer 60,000 years later and you never made it to the Andromeda. You're back just in time for the next Reaper cycle.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:57 am

That doesn't make sense, though- they'd be able to look at the constellations and be able to tell that they weren't in Andromeda.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:00 am

NEVER EVER PREORDER.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:42 am

NTMBK wrote:
That doesn't make sense, though- they'd be able to look at the constellations and be able to tell that they weren't in Andromeda.

Actually, you could easily tell by looking at extra-galactic objects and quickly notice that you aren't in the Milky Way. ;)
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Krogoth wrote:
NTMBK wrote:

Actually, you could easily tell by looking at extra-galactic objects and quickly notice that you aren't in the Milky Way. ;)

Yup, and constellations are of no help anyway since they only look the same if you are viewing them from the same spot within the Milky Way. Furthermore, many of the constellations will likely be unrecognizable after 60,000 years due to stellar motion, even when viewed from Earth; so you really can't tell the difference between being someWHERE else and someWHEN else based on constellations alone.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yup, and constellations are of no help anyway since they only look the same if you are viewing them from the same spot within the Milky Way. Furthermore, many of the constellations will likely be unrecognizable after 60,000 years due to stellar motion...

But.... neighboring galaxies are identifiable within that length of time. You'd still be able to figure out, maybe not exactly where/when you are, but *generally* when/where you are.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Yup, and constellations are of no help anyway since they only look the same if you are viewing them from the same spot within the Milky Way. Furthermore, many of the constellations will likely be unrecognizable after 60,000 years due to stellar motion...

But.... neighboring galaxies are identifiable within that length of time. You'd still be able to figure out, maybe not exactly where/when you are, but *generally* when/where you are.

Right. You need to use galaxies, not constellations.

the
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Krogoth wrote:
NTMBK wrote:

True but how many players would actually realize this versus just going with what they're told in the game? Sci-fi writes like to abuse real sci. Why? Fi why.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Yeah, that's the gaming industry coming up with their own version of Hollywood physics.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

LostCat

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:08 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
NEVER EVER PREORDER.

OK I will.
Though I'll wait til around March 1st or so.
___
I'm really excited to see ME with a new engine and so on.  ME3 looked fairly good for a DX9 game but that wasn't really saying much.
I hope they've cut out some of the time wasting bits like mining planets and whatever.  I can't say I hated it entirely but it just dragged on a lot.
It's kinda a shock people are still playing ME3 multiplayer o.o  Hah.  I really dug that back in the day and I'm just doing a few rounds here and there now.
Meow.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:13 am

I get the criticism for preorders, and go ahead and judge me, but I'm playing this game whether it's a 6/10 or 9.9/10.

I'll probably do another run through ME1-ME3 right before; usually take me about a month. Maybe do a male Paragon, haven't done that recently since the game just plays too well when played as an evil bitch :D.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:40 am

Airmantharp wrote:
I get the criticism for preorders, and go ahead and judge me, but I'm playing this game whether it's a 6/10 or 9.9/10.

What if it's a 3/10?

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:59 am

Airmantharp wrote:

I'll probably do another run through ME1-ME3 right before; usually take me about a month. Maybe do a male Paragon, haven't done that recently since the game just plays too well when played as an evil bitch :D.

I'm definitely going to play it, but I'm waiting a few months until it's been patched and drivers are updated. Too many broken games these days.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:12 am

I think this game is probably going to be a massive failure. From what I've read they're going for no man's sky with the mass effect universe tossed in. Depending on how skillfully they made this happen it could be the best exploration/resource/crafting game to date or another vanilla one and ruin the game.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:14 am

I'm hyped but what was the last good game Bioware put out?

Dragon Age: Origins. Back in 2009.

Sure ME3 had good action gameplay bits... and ME2 had good character storylines. But neither was overall excellent. Mechanically all their recent games have been deficient and the over-arching stories have been lackluster affairs. DA:I was the culmination of everything wrong with where their games have gone. It was a miserable and forgettable experience.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:32 am

just brew it! wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

What if it's a 3/10?

Then the criticism is warranted :D

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:38 am

yogibbear wrote:

Sure ME3 had good action gameplay bits... and ME2 had good character storylines. But neither was overall excellent. Mechanically all their recent games have been deficient and the over-arching stories have been lackluster affairs. DA:I was the culmination of everything wrong with where their games have gone. It was a miserable and forgettable experience.

I'll step in front of the bus and say it: I enjoyed DA:I. Even replayed it at least once; hell, I enjoyed DA2, and even replayed it once too.

And that's not ME.

ME, and I don't mean one particular game but the story that comprises all three, beginning to end with DLC, has to be my favorite game series. The story of the first is the most engaging- the second is the best overall game, adding in characters and making the gameplay interesting, and the third gets the gameplay mostly right (least frustrating). But I take altogether.

So even if it's a 3/10 as JBI mentioned, I'm still playing it ;).

(note that I'm not admonishing anyone else for not preordering- I have no interest in trying to convince you, I'm just stating why I did)

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:14 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
yogibbear wrote:

I'll step in front of the bus and say it: I enjoyed DA:I. Even replayed it at least once; hell, I enjoyed DA2, and even replayed it once too.

And that's not ME.

ME, and I don't mean one particular game but the story that comprises all three, beginning to end with DLC, has to be my favorite game series. The story of the first is the most engaging- the second is the best overall game, adding in characters and making the gameplay interesting, and the third gets the gameplay mostly right (least frustrating). But I take altogether.

So even if it's a 3/10 as JBI mentioned, I'm still playing it ;).

(note that I'm not admonishing anyone else for not preordering- I have no interest in trying to convince you, I'm just stating why I did)

Oh yeah I'm going to play Andromeda, but I'm not preordering because none of their recent games have been, for me, great games. I did love the Mass Effect series as a whole, but it was mainly the investment from ME1 that kept me playing.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

What if it's a 3/10?

I have played 0 Bioware games that I would have considered to be less than 7/10, I can't imagine they would sh*t the bed that hard. They seem pretty good at taking our feedback, I have confidence this will be a fun game.

Now that I've gotten a taste of HDR gaming on my PS4 Pro on my 65 inch OLED, the question of PC or PS4 has suddenly become an unexpectedly real one. That's WITH a 34 inch 1440p gsync monitor... the living room setup has actually been impressing me more. Didn't expect that to ever happen!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:02 pm

The preorder bonuses are insultingly terrible, just to pour salt in the wound of pre-ordering.

It's a digital edition; You can still buy it on launch day if you want for exactly the same price! Pre-ordering just tells EA that you're so desperate for Mass-Effect related content that you will open your wallet blindly for any old garbage they stick the label on.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
NEVER EVER PREORDER.

I know, I know. Hell, I spout this all the time. It's freely giving money without a finished product. I break the rule from time to time. Considering I loved all three ME's, even the one everyone was critical about, this is one of those times I break the rules.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

kvndoom

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Airmantharp wrote:

I reserve this action ONLY for the next Half Life. Since it will never happen, I will never preorder a game again. Keeps me in check.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

LostCat

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
The preorder bonuses are insultingly terrible, just to pour salt in the wound of pre-ordering.

It's a digital edition; You can still buy it on launch day if you want for exactly the same price! Pre-ordering just tells EA that you're so desperate for Mass-Effect related content that you will open your wallet blindly for any old garbage they stick the label on.

Don't get to preload if I wait til launch day, unless of course I subscribe to Origin Access (which I usually do both to play early and to get the silly discount.)
Aside from which, the only garbage I recall out of EA in the last ten years is Maxis related or Battlefield (never was a fan, though I enjoy it occasionally.)
I have no reason to care about peoples anti preorder crusades.
Meow.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:46 pm

LostCat wrote:
I have no reason to care about peoples anti preorder crusades.

The crusade is a noble one. And I usually follow it with a few caveats. Am I happy that big publishing houses holds the keys, no. But sometimes in order to support those game developers I deem worthy I have to put up with them. Believe me when I say, I wish all game dev studios could do their own thing like Blizzard. I would rather throw money directly at them than have to resort to going through the large publishing houses. (I'm looking at you EA!) Bioware is one of the few that I am willing to throw money at.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Airmantharp wrote:

Yeah, I started a random ME1 game as FemShep, heard the voice acting (Jennifer Hale I think) and that became my default.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:54 pm

FemShep > MaleShep

:P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

LostCat

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:03 am

tanker27 wrote:
Believe me when I say, I wish all game dev studios could do their own thing like Blizzard.

Err, the Blizzard that is owned by Activision?  ...
Meow.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:38 am

LostCat wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
Believe me when I say, I wish all game dev studios could do their own thing like Blizzard.

Err, the Blizzard that is owned by Activision?  ...

They were big enough that when they merged it became Activision Blizzard.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:19 am

Correct....but they host their own games; You don't see other Activision games on their launcher. And you buy directly to Blizzard....so.......
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')