Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Torment: Tides of Numenera out

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:57 pm

I funded this kickstarter back in late 2013, and it's finally out.

I haven't gotten into it too thoroughly yet, but I like what I see so far. It's a unique setting and skill system. Looks very story-driven so far. It's also interesting that there's no grinding (seriously none) and they made avoiding combat skillfully a viable option in many cases.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera out

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:04 pm

I'm planning on getting this game myself.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:01 pm

I backed it as well, and have put a few hours into it. I'm still very much in the beginning of the game, though.

I like it so far - it's very intensive in its world-building and doesn't move too quickly. The game is practically chewy with words. Like the original Torment, it's got a lot of weird and bizarre stuff going on right from the outset, which is welcome.

I also like the emphasis on non-combat options. So far I've had two fights ("Crises", in game nomenclature); the first is very much a combat system tutorial, but the second I was able to resolve, in mid-battle, by convincing my attackers to back off. I may just be getting old, but I appreciate having the choice of not cracking (read: dimensionally relocating) skulls in an RPG.

Performance wise, it's perfectly fine, but that shouldn't be a surprise at all. It uses the Pillars of Eternity engine, and that isn't any sort of resource hog. Looks great for this style of game, though.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:43 am

I am really loving it. I have 4 companions now, which is the maximum. I think if the story quality stays at this level throughout, it might be as good as Planescape: Torment in the end.

Sadly, have to wait for my kids to go to bed, so I can only get 1 hour a day.

I did get 1 bugged quest which would not complete, even though my journal says "go to person so-and-so and tell them it's complete".

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Man... you guys are making me want to dig PST out and read play it again, for old time's sake! Loved that game so much!
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:29 am

I finished the game. I thought it was very well done, but a little short for 4 years of development. Maybe I missed some content somehow but I flew through it at an hour here and there before my physical copy even arrived.

Loved the story, but like its predecessor there's little reason to play through again.

Now have to wait for Wasteland 3.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm enjoying it too, though Mass Effect is now taking up my time.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

Pholostan
Gerbil

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:58 pm

I've played through it and had a blast. Great story, great world and great characters.
Intolerant people ought to drink more beer.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Disappointed in the content/length of a $45 game.

Still unable to finish it. Played bug free until near the end. The game loop continues to get stuck in the room with the bloom and all it's maw beasts. Eventually I cannot skip my turn, or perform any action. It always seems to happen after I get the sphincter opened. That was almost a month ago. Haven't touched it since. I attempted this fight at least 10 times, all 10 times the game always enters this state where no action can be performed, cannot skip, and it just sits there. Sometimes on my turn, sometimes on theirs. Really annoying and ruined the game for me. Wouldn't recommend anyone get it due to the high price, lack of content, and obvious bugs. $20 would make me less bitter about it.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:08 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Disappointed in the content/length of a $45 game.

Still unable to finish it. Played bug free until near the end. The game loop continues to get stuck in the room with the bloom and all it's maw beasts. Eventually I cannot skip my turn, or perform any action. It always seems to happen after I get the sphincter opened. That was almost a month ago. Haven't touched it since. I attempted this fight at least 10 times, all 10 times the game always enters this state where no action can be performed, cannot skip, and it just sits there. Sometimes on my turn, sometimes on theirs. Really annoying and ruined the game for me. Wouldn't recommend anyone get it due to the high price, lack of content, and obvious bugs. $20 would make me less bitter about it.

At $45 you rightly should expect there should be enough content to worth spending that kind of money on this game, and the game not to have major play stopping bugs. Especially with four years of development.

Well I'll get this game after the bugs been fixed and when it goes on sell.

geniekid
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:31 pm

I finished this game last week with a little over 30 hours of play time according to Steam. Encountered some small UI bugs and one game stopping bug but restarting always fixed whatever the issue was. I do wish the game was longer, but that's only because I was having a lot of fun with it. If you talk to everyone you'll get descriptions of many interesting areas that you can't actually visit.

I thought it was well worth the $28 I paid to back the KS campaign for the digital copy of the game.