Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Anyone in on Nier or Wildlands?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:43 pm

I'll probably pick them up eventually, but right now I'm just waiting for my new PC build and Andromeda before making any decisions there.
I'm a reasonable human being...at least once a year. Most other times I'm a catgirl.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Anyone in on Nier or Wildlands?

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:03 pm

Pre-ordered Nier, Wildlands seems too douche-bro for my tastes.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Shrug. I'm not really excited by Ubisoft open world games anymore but it sounded pretty solid if you've got a coop partner, otherwise why bother.

Nier sounds fun thematically but less impressive gameplay wise. I still intend to pick it up, but for now I'll just be enjoying games I already have on my new proc. :)
I'm a reasonable human being...at least once a year. Most other times I'm a catgirl.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm interested in Nier, but the way the female lead is handled makes me very uncomfortable. =\ Dunno if I'll ever pick that up because of it.

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 pm

I.S.T. wrote:
I'm interested in Nier, but the way the female lead is handled makes me very uncomfortable. =\ Dunno if I'll ever pick that up because of it.

Which character do you mean?

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:38 pm

I haven't really read much about that. A friend I generally agree with likes it and I like open world, so that's pretty much all I needed.

That said, I'm not sure I need to pick it up right away.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:

Robot McButtA**, also known as YoRHa No. 2 Model B. The one you see gifs and fanart everywhere of. It just... really, really bugs me when it's taken to that much fo a degree. Lara Croft never bugged me this much.

For the record, I'm a lady type person, so I have a different perspective on this than many people here.

Edit: I've seen gameplay footage and it seems fun, plus I've been interested in Nier for years(I udnerstand that it's not a direct sequel, just takes place well into the future after one of the endings' ramifications and etc). It just...

Voldenuit

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:21 pm

I.S.T. wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:

Robot McButtA**, also known as YoRHa No. 2 Model B. The one you see gifs and fanart everywhere of. It just... really, really bugs me when it's taken to that much fo a degree. Lara Croft never bugged me this much.

For the record, I'm a lady type person, so I have a different perspective on this than many people here.

Edit: I've seen gameplay footage and it seems fun, plus I've been interested in Nier for years(I udnerstand that it's not a direct sequel, just takes place well into the future after one of the endings' ramifications and etc). It just...

Well, at some point you play as a cursor, so that segment won't be overly sexualized (although Rule34 has proven me wrong before). Can totally understand if it makes you feel uncomfortable, though.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:59 pm

I.S.T. wrote:
The one you see gifs and fanart everywhere of.

Heh can't say I've seen any of it. I've seen plenty of Overwatch stuff despite not even looking, but I don't go out of my way to find fanart I guess.

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:23 pm

I.S.T. wrote:

Fanart isn't really related to the developer, though. If that's an issue I recommend staying away from any Blizzard games, for sure!

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:

Fanart isn't really related to the developer, though. If that's an issue I recommend staying away from any Blizzard games, for sure!

Well, yes. I was just referencing the fan art because it's everywhere I go and figured it might be more recognizable that way. Fanart is fanart, I'm bothered by the game's depiction of her.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44 am

Y'all know how many games include like... bits of the game in a video before the start screen? Nier apparently does this and it has insanely massive spoilers for the game. Skip that crap as soon as possible and get to the title screen!

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 pm

I've decided to focus on Andromeda and Dead Rising 3 (never finished it but getting there) and 4 (planned to play once I finished 3) for the moment :)

It's not like I ever get anything done as is, don't really need to exacerbate the problem...in the middle of a bunch of other stuff too.

fhohj
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:31 am

Nier looked interesting I was really keen on it. Once the reviews had come out and said there was nothing wrong with it I went for it but then found out about it shipping with Denuvo. Hopefully they'll remove it evenutally. Otherwise eh

As for Andromeda, Andromeda requires Origin. pass

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:38 am

fhohj wrote:
Nier looked interesting I was really keen on it. Once the reviews had come out and said there was nothing wrong with it I went for it but then found out about it shipping with Denuvo. Hopefully they'll remove it evenutally. Otherwise eh

As for Andromeda, Andromeda requires Origin. pass

Good news is that from the reviews Andromeda is eminently passable.

Voldenuit

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:02 am

Worth checking out for any Nier:Automata players out there:
https://www.vg247.com/2017/03/23/modders-fix-nier-automatas-resolution-bug-on-pc-drastically-improve-frame-rate-in-unofficial-patch/

Installed it yesterday and the game does look a lot sharper, but along with the extra sharpness, I'm seeing more moire and shimmering.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

AlexsandroRistafan
Gerbil In Training

Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:27 pm

Played a demo of Nier a while back and that game is definitely one of the most appealing ones of 2017 so far for me. It's like a smooth interactive action fighter that's got a Final Fantasy feel to it.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:32 pm

AlexsandroRistafan wrote:
Played a demo of Nier a while back and that game is definitely one of the most appealing ones of 2017 so far for me. It's like a smooth interactive action fighter that's got a Final Fantasy feel to it.

It's made by Platinum Games. If you want other PC games that play similarly, check out their games Transformers Devastation and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:57 pm

I.S.T. wrote:
It's made by Platinum Games. If you want other PC games that play similarly, check out their games Transformers Devastation and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Is MGR:R that good? I had a hell of a time with a miniboss fairly early on and kinda gave up on it.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:00 pm

LostCat wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:

Is MGR:R that good? I had a hell of a time with a miniboss fairly early on and kinda gave up on it.

I ****ing love it. But, yes, it is fairly hard. No shame in going to easy mode on that game*. hell, I had to cheese it to beat it.

Tip: buy the move offensive defense or whatever it's called. It's a dodge counter that's easy to use and does a bit of damage. It's the single most important purchase you can make in the game by far.

*to clarify I feel there's no shame going to easy mode in any game, but with some games there's negative shame, not just no shame.
Last edited by I.S.T. on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:03 pm

Fair enough, just redownloaded to try it on my new comp but I'm still in the middle of a lot of other stuff.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:17 am

LostCat wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:

I will second Transformers Devastation, but just like MGRR, it's tough. Like, right out of the gate you're fighting a huge boss and it can be frustrating. Learn the pattern and get past it, and the game opens up significantly.
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:34 am

I know it's some sort of geek haven like Star Wars that I will never understand the appeal of, but I'm just not into Transformers sorreh :p

Anyway I almost got past the blade wolf thing that time, will have to try again later.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:05 pm

My friends have a bloody love affair with Nier so I finally picked it up. Not sure if I'll get to it tonight since it's still downloading a while.

Voldenuit

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:26 pm

About 50 hrs into NieR: Automata, and I'm blown away.

This game is a magnum opus, and while mechanistically it's fantastic (fluid controls, stylish combat, deep and accessible combat systems), I was truly astounded by how philosophical and existentialist the game is.

The game obscures its story from casual view, relying on not just multiple playthroughs to uncover the story behind its world, but also uses non plot elements like weapon stories, enemy back stories, and plain old player imagination to challenge the player with (unanswerable?) existential questions. What is the nature of self? Of sentience? Of humanity? How much of a semblance to the thing does a copy or abstraction of the ideal have to have before it becomes indistinguishable to the thing itself?

At first glance, it is mere coincidence that the names of various robot enemies and allies were taken from French and German existentialist philosophers (Pascal, Sartre, Beauvoir, Engels, Kierkegaard), but as I kept playing, the game engendered many moments of self reflection that challenged my preconceptions.

As a long time Planescape: Torment fan, I had been expecting Tides of Numenera to scratch my existentialist itch, but when that latter game fell flat with its trite pseudo intellectualism, it was from the completely unexpected corner of NieR: Automata that I was entranced and engaged.

Best game of the year? Too early to call. Best game I've played this year? It's got my vote.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:43 am

So far I can only say I like the gameplay more than the aesthetics.

I do like it, but first impressions could be better.

Voldenuit

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:39 am

LostCat wrote:
So far I can only say I like the gameplay more than the aesthetics.

I do like it, but first impressions could be better.

Oh? I loved the aesthetics - the character design, the costuming, the art design, the use of color grading to denote mood and locale. The combat mechanics and animations are over-the-top in true Bayonetta fashion, and the music, my god, the music is divine. Keiichi Okabe (Drakengard 3, NieR) really outdid himself with the score in this game.

My first impressions of the game were of a fun, flashy action-rpg that drew me in instantly. What I didn't expect, after a first pass of somewhat tropey plot and some on-the-nose mythological references, was a game that made me question the nature of human existence. The subtext of the game is what make is great, one of my most memorable stories from the game was the historical account of an android soldier, told entirely in text on a black background, with Okabe's music dynamically shifting to match my reading pace.

Oh, and you can drift boars. You can drift boars*.

* PS, you can't drift moose. I checked.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:55 am

So far the aesthetics are brown, rust, and Transformers. none of which I like.

And the music wasn't bad, but I didn't really like it either. My new headphones aren't exactly great for critical listening though (I got them free with something else, but they're really comfy.)

That was just the first area though, so there's that.

Voldenuit

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:12 pm

LostCat wrote:
So far the aesthetics are brown, rust, and Transformers. none of which I like.

And the music wasn't bad, but I didn't really like it either. My new headphones aren't exactly great for critical listening though (I got them free with something else, but they're really comfy.)

That was just the first area though, so there's that.

The game is very consistent in its art design, it's intended to be bleak and desolate, as befits a post-apocalyptic setting 9,000 years into the future. Having said that, the palette opens up in different locales, with the industrial rust color tone of the factory area giving way to greenery in the forest and city ruins, the sun-bleached sands of the desert area. But the colors will never 'pop' in the game, unlike, say, Horizon Zero Dawn, and this looks like it was a deliberate and intentional design by the creators.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:28 pm

And...now it's refusing to set 1440p, even though it was fine with it yesterday.

From the amount of whining on the internet I'm guessing it needs a patch.