Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Console peasants....

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:44 pm

RiliUnimi wrote:
So i havent had a console gaming system since super nintendo...yes, 16-bit in all its glory. and the only reason i had that was to buy Street Fighter II.

Anyways, im in the market for one now...pros/cons to either/both of xbox or ps3? just from my personal experience, i like the controls of the ps3 more and like that its a bluray player.

thoughts?

PS3 is a very old platform and nearing the end of its life cycle (already discontinued in some parts of the world). Xbox One also includes Blu-Ray playback capability.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Console peasants

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:51 pm

RiliUnimi wrote:
thoughts?

Right this moment, only the PS4 Pro has a reasonable amount of power to compete with the PC platform. I have no idea why the ps3 is even being mentioned in 2017, especially on this site.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Because it's about the games? Also worth mentioning:

https://imgur.com/gallery/1ShQv
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:20 pm

Is that a SEGA Genesis?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:22 pm

In that pic are a Genesis, SNES, NES, Saturn, and N64. Not plugged in right now is a Japanese PC Engine CoreGrafx, which is the TurboGrafx 16. All plugged into a 20" CRT.

My wife and I were playing Killer Instinct tonight.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:25 pm

BTW the Genesis turns 28 in America today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5s6EmNTmc8

superjawes

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:32 pm

On the PS4 vs XBOne front *~in general~* I would say that the Xbox has the better platform (auto/free cloud saves*, better controller, better media remote interaction**), while the PS4 does better with console exclusives***. Otherwise, they are both solid platforms that work as easy gaming, streaming, and disc media players.

If the question was about going back to the Xbox 360 vs PS3 era, I'd generally say PS3 because of the Blu-Ray aspect, but I also demand a lot from my devices since I do most of my gaming on PC (which makes the most sense).

*We found out about the cloud saves thing with the burglary. My wife had logged 50+ hours into FFXV, and just having her save file be safe was a major relief. You have to be a PS+ member to get any cloud saves on PS4.

**I guess any Bluetooth remote should work with a PS4, but ours keeps turning off, which is an annoyance when streaming several episodes of a show.

***Mainly basing this of Horizon: Zero Dawn.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:57 am

It's adorable that you guys are still arguing based on technical merits for 12-year-old systems, but again, it comes down to where the games you want to play are. If you don't care about Sony exclusives then just get a Blu-Ray player. If everything you want to play already has a PC port why bother?

OTOH, there are some fantastic games on the platform. Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, inFAMOUS, the list goes on. Too old to be new and too new to be retro, the system is basically other peoples' junk. Spend $60 and get one and then spend way more than that on used disc versions of the games. Blu-Rays are very hard to scratch so it's unlikely there's a problem with anything you find on the open market.

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:55 am

As someone who plays mostly on PC but also has several consoles (PS3, PS4, all Xboxen), I have to agree with derFunkenstein, there have been some fantastic exclusive games on consoles. The Last of Us, the Uncharted series and Horizon: Zero Dawn have all become some of my favorite games.

That being said, if I were to have to buy all of them back again, I wouldn't get the Xbox One, in any configuration. This generation of Xbox has been incredibly frustrating and the only redeeming quality for me is the controller, which is excellent. Even the cloud saves on Xbox have been infuriating, which is a long story. I also never use my Xbox One for media playback, since that is what I have a HTPC and Plex for. Does anyone have any Xbox One exclusive games that they would recommend, other than Halo or Forza? It seems like all of the good Xbox games are now out for PC as well.
Main: Intel i7-5775C w/ Noctua NH-D14, single fan | Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | GSkill DDR3-1866, 32GB | Corsair Pro 750W Gold
HTPC: AMD A10-7850K | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | GSkill DDR3-2400, 8GB | Silverstone SFX 450W

LostCat

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am

general_tux wrote:
It seems like all of the good Xbox games are now out for PC as well.

Yes, PC+win10 is now part of the Xbox platform. You don't need the X1 to play most anything from MS after Quantum Break.

That said, Gears of War 4 for me at least has been a total **** to get running on PC. (Not to mention my fun with HDR and Atmos.) I didn't think it'd be that bad. Meanwhile, it looks way better than you'd expect it to on the og X1.

I'll be moving most of my gaming to the Xbox One X. PC has proven itself to me to be an invaluable platform...for legacy crap.
Meow.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:50 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Because it's about the games? Also worth mentioning:

https://imgur.com/gallery/1ShQv

Looking at the NES system, I'm wondering if I can modify the case to fit a MiniITX board inside it? Or maybe a MiniSFX board at least? Turn it into a PC.

f0d
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:04 pm

My only problem with console systems is being forced to pay just to play online
Now I know you get value in paying for Xbox live and such but being forced to pay for it to play online is redonkulous to me
It's why I will never purchase the new consoles

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:35 pm

You keep your filthy ape-ish hands off my NES. I got that thing in 1990 and it still works.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:04 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
You keep your filthy ape-ish hands off my NES. I got that thing in 1990 and it still works.

Are those worth some money now? If so I sure wish I kept mine.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:30 am

I dunno, they go for $60-70 on eBay for a console and some good-condition controllers, but I'm more interested in playing the games.

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 am

f0d wrote:
My only problem with console systems is being forced to pay just to play online
Now I know you get value in paying for Xbox live and such but being forced to pay for it to play online is redonkulous to me
It's why I will never purchase the new consoles

I guess I now only use my consoles for single player or couch co-op games. That being said, I have purchased Xbox live before, mainly for Games with Gold, but found that the ecosystem was rather annoying to use to its fullest potential. I still have PS+ and it has provided some great games like Rocket League, Transistor and Just Cause 3. Plus, it is really easy to go a single website and "buy" all of the PS+ games that month for all Sony systems.
Main: Intel i7-5775C w/ Noctua NH-D14, single fan | Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | GSkill DDR3-1866, 32GB | Corsair Pro 750W Gold
HTPC: AMD A10-7850K | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | GSkill DDR3-2400, 8GB | Silverstone SFX 450W

LostCat

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:58 pm

general_tux wrote:
Plus, it is really easy to go a single website and "buy" all of the PS+ games that month for all Sony systems.

It is equally easy to do that with Xbox.

I've gotten some amazing free games out of either platform, though I'll allow I haven't been incredibly impressed with Games with Gold recently.
Meow.

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 pm

LostCat wrote:
Might I ask how? When I had Gold last year, to get both the One and 360 games I had to go to different websites that each had there own layouts and requirements. I even had to add a credit card to my account just to get the 360 games since I originally got Gold via a gift card (it cost only $40 that way). I was never charged since the total purchase was $0 but I thought it was really frustrating to have to add payment details to claim something you get "free".

LostCat

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:08 pm

general_tux wrote:
LostCat wrote:
Might I ask how? When I had Gold last year, to get both the One and 360 games I had to go to different websites that each had there own layouts and requirements. I even had to add a credit card to my account just to get the 360 games since I originally got Gold via a gift card (it cost only $40 that way). I was never charged since the total purchase was $0 but I thought it was really frustrating to have to add payment details to claim something you get "free".

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold
click games, click buy, basically done
Meow.

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:25 pm

LostCat wrote:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold
click games, click buy, basically done

That is definitely better than my last experience with Gold. I remembered it like this https://web.archive.org/web/20160204081948/http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold and each game brought you to either a One store or 360 store.

Why can't they offer something like this though? https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/free-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSFREEGAMES where you can just add all of the games for the whole month to your cart without leaving the first page, click checkout and be done. Why does Gold add the extra pages and clicks? Why do it add the extra date restrictions? It seems like it is not designed with the customer's needs in mind to me.

LostCat

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:30 pm

general_tux wrote:
Why can't they offer something like this though? https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/free-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSFREEGAMES where you can just add all of the games for the whole month to your cart without leaving the first page, click checkout and be done. Why does Gold add the extra pages and clicks? Why do it add the extra date restrictions? It seems like it is not designed with the customer's needs in mind to me.

Your nitpicking is amazing. It takes less than a minute. Does anyone actually care?
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Yeah, no, neither of those store interfaces deterred me from getting my free stuff. LMAO

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 pm

LostCat wrote:
Your nitpicking is amazing. It takes less than a minute. Does anyone actually care?

Yeah, I know it is nitpicking but it does irritate me, especially when it is a service that they make you pay for. I spend all of my time at work analyzing the design of systems to improve workflow and save seconds for customers at each step. I guess I end up carrying this analysis into lots of other things as well.