Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: StarCraft: Remastered

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:54 am

The graphics are indeed a high point. 4K Starcraft Remastered is just beautiful, they preserved the original feel of the art perfectly.

I kinda wish I could zoom out a bit more, but I understand why they didn't allow that.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 pm

From the SC:R launch event, The zerglings have fingers!

It was a super informal tournament played for no money, pride only, among the best foreign StarCraft players of all time. And these guys had a ton of fun putting it together and casting it. I missed this particular match, but this clip had my laughing so hard.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:43 pm

Waco wrote:
The graphics are indeed a high point. 4K Starcraft Remastered is just beautiful, they preserved the original feel of the art perfectly.

I kinda wish I could zoom out a bit more, but I understand why they didn't allow that.

They only managed to preserve the art for overview, buildings and unit models. They took some creative liberties with the unit portraits to tie more in with Starcraft 2 (most notably Kerrigan before and after her transformation).

I find it be ludicrous that "Enhanced Lighting" requires 2GiB+ of VRAM (My old Geforce 660Ti can't handle it). The HD textures and sprites shouldn't consume anything more than 500MiB of VRAM. FYI, the original SC1 ran on old 2D/3D cards that had 4MiB-16MIB VRAM. IMO, it sounds like poor coding on Blizzard's part. SC2 only need more than 2GiB of VRAM if you want "Epic" settings. Ultra and lower runs fine on 2GiB of VRAM.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B