Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

TheMonkeyKing
Gerbil
Topic Author

Best version of Kinect and where to buy?

Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:53 pm

So I am completely clueless on the XBOX and peripherals (Look I just got MAME to work very well two years)...

But I want to have the best version of Kinect for use in 3D modeling and as a sensor device for Lumo Interactive-like application.

Also, I don't mind second hand just as long as it is completely functional. Would Ebay or Game Stop be a good choice? Or amazon?

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil First Class

Re: Best version of Kinect and where to buy?

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Buying from Gamestop is convenient since you'll have a place to quickly and easily return it if it's broken, especially if they're used. Looks like Gamestop is selling refurbished/used models for $50. If you're wanting to buy used I'd say aim for a Gamestop so you have that added peace of mind, even though you'll pay more for a used model from them vs Ebay. They're also currently selling a new Kinect for Xbox One for $57 (http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/accessories/xbox-one-kinect-with-dance-central-spotlight/116957) which seems like a strong deal considering Microsoft's MSRP of $99.99. I can't find a better price online at the moment.

Seems like the best deal right now for a new unit, and again, you can return it if anything goes wrong. Here's some options from Ebay for comparison: (https://www.ebay.com/p/Microsoft-6L6-00001-Kinect-Sensor-for-Xbox-One-Black/710143192).

TheMonkeyKing
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Best version of Kinect and where to buy?

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:00 pm

I looked at the wiki to see what versions are out there and which ones would suit me. I guess the latest would be best.

Kinect for Xbox 360 (V1 2010)
Kinect for Xbox One (V2 2013)
Kinect for Microsoft Windows
Version 1.5
Version 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8
Version 2

I know the kinect for windows is the one that can connect directly to a PC and the XBOX ones need a dongle. So is the Version 2 Windows the same as the XBOX One?