Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: The Nintendo Switch is pretty great

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:29 am

southrncomfortjm wrote:
Nothing nostalgic about my impressions. I played the original Zelda, but never beat it, tried the second Zelda a few times, I may have beaten A Link to the Past... maybe, tried Ocarina of time and Majoras, but never beat them, and haven't even tried the rest. So I'm coming to this with some background, but nostalgia definitely isn't it. Whether it s a10/10 or an all time top game, I don't know. At this point all I know is that the game is beautiful to look at and is very engaging. That's a pretty good start.

I never said it was a BAD game, i said it didn't deserve the reviews it got, and that it was held back by the hardware. I stand by both of those comments.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:32 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:
There are a lot of good/decent games out - don't discount Disgaea 5, Binding of Isaac, I am Setsuna, and Shovel Knight.

Lots of games right there that many folks have played on other platforms. Disgaea 5 came out on PS4 two years ago. Binding of Isaac and Shovel Knight are practically ancient grandfathers of the current indie scene.

Yeah, but I mention them since I haven't played them and I bet most people haven't either.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:42 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:
There are a lot of good/decent games out - don't discount Disgaea 5, Binding of Isaac, I am Setsuna, and Shovel Knight.

Lots of games right there that many folks have played on other platforms. Disgaea 5 came out on PS4 two years ago. Binding of Isaac and Shovel Knight are practically ancient grandfathers of the current indie scene.

Yeah, and BestBuy was charging $40 forbindog of isaac when I purchased my switch about 3 months ago or so. The indie game prices are considerably higher than what they'd go for on other consoles / PC (not even accounting for sales). They'er gouging the prices because there are not many games available. Not all the devs are doing this, there are lots of games reasonably prices for the content too. 1-2 Switch for $40 on release was robbery too.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:42 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:

Yeah, and BestBuy was charging $40 forbindog of isaac when I purchased my switch about 3 months ago or so. The indie game prices are considerably higher than what they'd go for on other consoles / PC (not even accounting for sales). They'er gouging the prices because there are not many games available. Not all the devs are doing this, there are lots of games reasonably prices for the content too. 1-2 Switch for $40 on release was robbery too.

1-2 Switch was robbery because it was a terrible game for sure.

I'm looking to get a few games this weekend with GameStop's 3 for 2 used game deal. Probably MK8D, Binding of Isaac, and maybe something else. Also trying to see if a friend will get in on it with me so I only have to buy 2 games.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:50 am

Spent a lot of time on Breath of the Wild on Sunday, about 50/50 in handheld and docked mode. Updated the main post with more impressions.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:26 am

Out of curiosity, have you done much with putting games on an SD card? I wondered what kind of stuttering or lag (if any) you've experienced by loading games off of SD instead of the internal eMMC. I guess if you're buying cartridges it's not a big deal, but to keep the chance of damaging a game low, we've bought most of the stuff we have on Wii U from the eShop and have a USB 3.0 hard drive attached. That works fine, but SD cards are usually quite a bit slower.

Guess it might depend on the specific card you get, too.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Pizzapotamus
Gerbil

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:51 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Out of curiosity, have you done much with putting games on an SD card? I wondered what kind of stuttering or lag (if any) you've experienced by loading games off of SD instead of the internal eMMC. I guess if you're buying cartridges it's not a big deal, but to keep the chance of damaging a game low, we've bought most of the stuff we have on Wii U from the eShop and have a USB 3.0 hard drive attached. That works fine, but SD cards are usually quite a bit slower.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... comparison
In order of performance they found onboad>sd>game carts, although carts vs sd cards were rather close.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:49 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Aside from some demos off the eShop, I haven't done anything but play Zelda off a cart. That said, the load times in Zelda are not bad at all. Only real loading screens are going into Shrines, and that's only about 10-15 seconds. I'm completely against loading screens and run all my PC games off of SSDs. Even with that mindset I really don't mind the loading screens in Zelda.

Games off of onboard memory do seem to be super quick though.

I've also not heard any negative comments about load times, etc, from using and SD card, though I'm sure most people get the Class 10 SDXC.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Pizzapotamus wrote:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... comparison
In order of performance they found onboad>sd>game carts, although carts vs sd cards were rather close.

Great link! Thanks!

Good to know that there's really no point in going ultra high end on the SD card. I may just go with a 64gb card at some point since I don't think I'll be getting a lot of games. I may also just stick with carts to get used version and be able to resell them, though its normally pretty hard to separate from Nintendo 1st party games.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:53 am

For anyone with a Switch, but no microSD yet, check out https://www.dealzon.com/deals/cheap-sam ... mory-cards

$45 with free 2 day shipping for a 128GB Samsung Evo+ micro SDXC card. Just ordered mine!

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:29 am

Plain gray Switches are up at the $300 MRSP on Amazon right now. Probably won't last long.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:05 am

Splatoon 2 is out now for download. Pretty fun game, still getting the hang of it. Still haven't gone back to arms.

WTF was Nintendo thinking with the whole "use this app that only works on your phone, but not with other apps at the same time, and and and..." just to get multi-party voice chat for splatoon? It's such a terrible, awful idea that I can see that really souring anyone who just got a switch recently and had this game as their only game. Discord is a good alternative.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:36 am

Nintendo has just never gotten online multiplayer right.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:43 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Dear god, the monstrosity of voice chat on the Switch.
http://kotaku.com/the-switchs-phone-enabled-voice-chat-is-as-ridiculous-a-1797058470.

In order to communicate with friends over voice in Splatoon 2 (and only friends, as is Nintendo’s way), each friend will need to have the Nintendo Online app downloaded and running on their phone or tablet. Players will need a communication headset of some sort plugged into their phone. If they want to hear game sounds and chat, they’ll either need a one-sided headset, or a splitter...

Couple that with the bending from overheating, docks scratching the screen, the built-in stand blocking the charging port, the overpriced pro controller, Switches overheating in docks, and that's a solid "Hell, no" from me.

Which is a shame because I think BoTW and Splatoon 2 sound like great games, but I'm not paying $300 (more realistically, closer to $450 with all accessories) for something that's so half-assed right now. Needs a hardware revision with a beefed up chassis, die shrink on the Tegra X1 (maybe even a bump to X2), better screen (720p? In this day and age?), better dock (say, not enclosed and with built-in fan), better battery life and *definitely* a better-integrated online voice chat implementation.

I think the games situation is looking pretty good on the Switch, honestly. The Nintendo exclusives are looking good (Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Cart, Metroid), it's getting a bunch of good indie games (Hollow Knight, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - by a key Symphony of the Night dev!). But the underlying hardware and infrastructure are not something I'd accept in this day and age.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:57 am

Voldenuit wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Dear god, the monstrosity of voice chat on the Switch.
http://kotaku.com/the-switchs-phone-enabled-voice-chat-is-as-ridiculous-a-1797058470.

In order to communicate with friends over voice in Splatoon 2 (and only friends, as is Nintendo’s way), each friend will need to have the Nintendo Online app downloaded and running on their phone or tablet. Players will need a communication headset of some sort plugged into their phone. If they want to hear game sounds and chat, they’ll either need a one-sided headset, or a splitter...

Couple that with the bending from overheating, docks scratching the screen, the built-in stand blocking the charging port, the overpriced pro controller, Switches overheating in docks, and that's a solid "Hell, no" from me.

Which is a shame because I think BoTW and Splatoon 2 sound like great games, but I'm not paying $300 (more realistically, closer to $450 with all accessories) for something that's so half-assed right now. Needs a hardware revision with a beefed up chassis, die shrink on the Tegra X1 (maybe even a bump to X2), better screen (720p? In this day and age?), better dock (say, not enclosed and with built-in fan), better battery life and *definitely* a better-integrated online voice chat implementation.

I think the games situation is looking pretty good on the Switch, honestly. The Nintendo exclusives are looking good (Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Cart, Metroid), it's getting a bunch of good indie games (Hollow Knight, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - by a key Symphony of the Night dev!). But the underlying hardware and infrastructure are not something I'd accept in this day and age.

If you want to play Splatoon, Mario Kart 8 and Zelda Breath of the Wild... just go pick up a cheap second hand Wii U. It also has plenty of other great games, along with a vast Virtual Console library (and Wii backwards compatibility).

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:24 am

To counter, the pro controller is about the best controller I've ever used. The screen scratches issues are way overblown, I don't have a single blemish on mine and I very often dock and un-dock it. I don't know what these folks are doing to damage their machines' screens like you see. I haven't had the issues other's have had, but that's not to say they aren't happening. I think it's a good system with some really awful choices like their voice chat we're highlighting. The games library will grow. The platform will mature.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:42 am

Is the Switch pro controller the same as the Wii U one? We have one for the Wii U and it's really nice.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:43 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Is the Switch pro controller the same as the Wii U one? We have one for the Wii U and it's really nice.

Not sure - it's this one. https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch- ... B01NAWKYZ0

Part of the cost, which I maintain is reasonable, is that the motion controls are built into it. It feels great in hand, and the buttons are the perfect responsiveness for my tastes.

Voldenuit

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:07 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Not sure - it's this one. https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch- ... B01NAWKYZ0

Part of the cost, which I maintain is reasonable, is that the motion controls are built into it. It feels great in hand, and the buttons are the perfect responsiveness for my tastes.

Hasn't motion controls been in controllers since the PS3's sixaxis? You can pick those up for like $20. PS4 controller MSRP is $59 and has a touchpad, with street prices in the $30s to $40s. So BOM is not the driver for the retail price here.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Voldenuit wrote:

I'd bet money that the screen rez wasn't because of game speed (although I'm sure that was a consideration), but probably to save power in un-docked mode. 720 pixels are simply easier to power (both senses) when on battery.

A lot of midrange / not-quite-flagship Android phones use the same cheat, and since the screen is so tiny I don't really care, I'd rather have the better battery life of 1080p (sometimes 720p).

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Hasn't motion controls been in controllers since the PS3's sixaxis? You can pick those up for like $20. PS4 controller MSRP is $59 and has a touchpad, with street prices in the $30s to $40s. So BOM is not the driver for the retail price here.

Find one that's as well made as this, that does everything it does, and that holds a charge for over 40 hours. I love this damn thing.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:22 pm

The DS4 and whatever the XBox controller is called are routinely available for $40-ish. And its 2017, even MS changed their controller with the Xbox S to have a headphone port like the launch version of DS4 controller. That $70 Nintendo controller. Nope. Just nope.

Not that Nintendo isn't a great match for some folks.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:34 pm

blahsaysblah wrote:
The DS4 and whatever the XBox controller is called are routinely available for $40-ish. And its 2017, even MS changed their controller with the Xbox S to have a headphone port like the launch version of DS4 controller. That $70 Nintendo controller. Nope. Just nope.

Not that Nintendo isn't a great match for some folks.

It is pretty comical to see Nintendo get seemingly simple and previously solved issues all wrong. You can pretty much bank on there being some weird catch or hitch whenever Nintendo releases a new-to-them feature that MS or Sony have had for years.

Still love my Switch regardless. Took it on a trip to Ecuador and it made the long plane and boat rides a lot easier to handle. Actually just sold my gaming laptop since it is now defunct with the Switch around. More than paid for the Switch.

superjawes

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 pm

So...the whole "games you've already played, but portable" angle seems to be Nintendo's strongest selling point, and I just saw that DOOM (2016) and Wolfenstein II are coming to Switch. I'd expect a game like Skyrim to run fine, but if recent games like those play well enough, that might actually guarantee third party support.

Also, I've noticed that GameStop/ThinkGeek are selling bundles for preorder consistently. I doubt that will extend into the holiday season, but it seems like stock is pretty consistent.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

LostCat

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:01 pm

superjawes wrote:
So...the whole "games you've already played, but portable" angle seems to be Nintendo's strongest selling point, and I just saw that DOOM (2016) and Wolfenstein II are coming to Switch. I'd expect a game like Skyrim to run fine, but if recent games like those play well enough, that might actually guarantee third party support.

Also, I've noticed that GameStop/ThinkGeek are selling bundles for preorder consistently. I doubt that will extend into the holiday season, but it seems like stock is pretty consistent.

I only just found Switches I could actually buy online at normal prices. For pickup locally, not shipped, but I'd take it.

If I was still interested. With my X1X shipping in a few months it just doesn't seem like I need one.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:01 pm

I found one at Walmart a couple days ago, just sitting on the shelf. No interest in it yet. A year from now when Wii U titles totally dry up I might get one.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:11 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I found one at Walmart a couple days ago, just sitting on the shelf. No interest in it yet. A year from now when Wii U titles totally dry up I might get one.

Yeah, no rush if you don't have time for it anyway. I finished Zelda and just play Mario Kart a few times a week. Just too bad Mario: Odyssey doesn't come out until late October since I could use it when I go travelling soon.

superjawes wrote:
So...the whole "games you've already played, but portable" angle seems to be Nintendo's strongest selling point

This is honestly, long term, what will be the main reason I still like my Switch. I actually hope it becomes a solid port / indie machine along with solid first-party support from Nintendo.
Right now, I'm just waiting on Hollow Knight for Switch even though I could play it on PC. After that, maybe Battle Chasers. I'd also love to see XCOM 2 plus War of the Chosen on Switch. That would be so slick.

Speaking of Zelda, having beaten it, I'd give it a solid 9.0, but would not give it the title of "Best Game of All Time" or anything like that. It's a completely enjoyable and engaging experience from beginning to end, but it's really a very wide and shallow lake. You pretty much do 3 things the whole game: (1) find and complete shrines; (2) find korok seeds; and (3) complete quests/dungeons. Most quests just involve getting shrines or korok seeds, so that doesn't add a whole new gameplay element or anything. The overall mechanics are deep, with everything having real physics and behaving as they should without any restrictions, but there isn't a whole lot to do with all that depth in mechanics. Combat is decidedly middle of the road, but competent. The overall story isn't amazing either, and the ending (including the final showdown) were incredibly lackluster. It really is a game about the journey, and the journey is pretty good. The overall package just isn't the best ever. For me, that's still either Final Fantasy 6 or Mass Effect 2.

superjawes

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:32 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:
This is honestly, long term, what will be the main reason I still like my Switch. I actually hope it becomes a solid port / indie machine along with solid first-party support from Nintendo.
And that's a solid plan. Nintendo will only get tripped if they try to go directly after the XBone or PS4, but offering portability in the same/similar games makes it compelling to...well, everyone.

Right now, I'm just waiting on Hollow Knight for Switch even though I could play it on PC. After that, maybe Battle Chasers. I'd also love to see XCOM 2 plus War of the Chosen on Switch. That would be so slick.
Hollow Knight will be a perfect fit on the Switch.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:39 pm

superjawes

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:22 pm

That kid's wearing a Bowser shirt...this could be his villain origin story.