Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Did I get the new Xbox One controller?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:56 pm

I'm not much of a console gamer anymore so I'm way out of touch. But I bought a wireless Xbox One controller from Amazon for my PC and it doesn't quite match the description.

The "new" model of controllers are supposed to have a headphone jack upfront, twice the range and some kind of "textured grip". The controller I received lacks the textured grip (unless the "old" controllers were a mirror finish or something) and according to other reports, both controllers actually have the headphone jack. At first glance they look identical between all the different models so nothing jumped out at me to tell them apart. The boxes don't match but this wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer changed packaging.

Any Xbox One controller experts able to verify what I got?
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

tspacie
Gerbil In Training

Re: Did I get the new Xbox One controller?

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:14 pm

The first controllers had no audio built in.
The second generation have an audio jack
The newest generation of controllers have bluetooth support. If your controller broadcasts on BT, it's the latest.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:13 pm

I wasn't quite sure if it was broadcasting BT at first as I wasn't totally certain I was in pairing mode but it appears not. The product description claims it is BT and says it comes with a BT adapter, but looking into it further the adapter is just the proprietary wireless adapter needed for the older controllers? I found this link: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on- ... ller-to-pc

According to that I don't have the bluetooth model.

Glad I checked! Thanks for the input!

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:22 pm

As noted, there are actually 3 generations. The original has no headphone jack, so is obvious to distinguish. The two newer models are basically indistinguishable physically. The textured grip is not noticeable unless you feel it immediately after one of the older ones. You'll have to check for Bluetooth to see if you got the right one.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

tspacie
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:58 pm

The units with Bluetooth have a different device id which you can get if you plug it into a PC.
From Windows Device Manager > Xbox Peripherals > Xbox Controller > Properties > Details > Hardware Ids
Non-bt: USB\VID_045E&PID_02DD
Bluetooth:USB\VID_045E&PID_02EA

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:35 am

Thanks all for the help. I know it's super obvious once you know which version is which, but it was a little confusing. I returned the old version and purchased a new one with a bluetooth adapter and it has been working great.