Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Retro console gaming

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 am

We don't have kids running around...but we did pick up the clumsiest kitten of the litter :lol:

And thanks for the recommendations, derFunk. I'll probably just get the 8bitdo one from Amazon.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:56 pm

I've had a Bluetooth 8bitdo SN30 (this one) for a couple of years now, and it's worked very well. I've used it with Windows and Linux computers as well as various Android devices, and it never gives any trouble with pairing and performs quite nicely. Also has the advantage that, for a few dollars more, you can skip the dongle of the 2.4 Ghz model.

I also have a wired Buffalo controller - works well, but obviously not wireless, and doesn't quite have the same feel as the 8bitdo. Obviously significantly cheaper, though, and it does work fine.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I've had a Bluetooth 8bitdo SN30 (this one) for a couple of years now, and it's worked very well. I've used it with Windows and Linux computers as well as various Android devices, and it never gives any trouble with pairing and performs quite nicely. Also has the advantage that, for a few dollars more, you can skip the dongle of the 2.4 Ghz model.

Not on an SNES Classic, which was superjawes' use case. There's no bluetooth so you have to dongle it up.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:

Not on an SNES Classic, which was superjawes' use case. There's no bluetooth so you have to dongle it up.

Whoops. Sorry, then, for some reason I thought the Nintendo Classic consoles supported Bluetooth controllers.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 am

That would have added a whole dollar to the BoM, though. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Last Christmas there where not any big ticket items I was interested in so my wife suggested an SNES Classic so the wife and kids had something to give me. I did the bios flash and loaded it with about 75 games, it runs pretty well overall. I've mostly played F-Zero and Punchout for myself, Mario Kart and Street Fighter 2 with my daughter, and a bit of Mario 3 and World with my wife and son. It was a pretty good purchase for the $70ish dollars we paid.
Intel I7-4770K@4ghz, MSI Z87-G45, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2400, Gigabyte Geforce 2080 , Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + 1TB WD Black, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Not exactly retro, but the last Streets of Rage to come out was like 20-something years ago. But now Streets of Rage 4 has been announced. Dot Emu will publish the Lizardcube production. Lizardcube made a really excellent Monster World remaster, but this is apparently an all-new entry into the series. I'm psyched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bgPefCyfA

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Here's something weird: a guy created an app to play Atari 2600 ROMs from QR codes. The ROM data is encoded in a QR code, and then the code is read by an app on a Raspberry Pi and converted to a ROM for use with an emulator.

https://www.codedojo.com/?p=2251

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:51 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Here's something weird: a guy created an app to play Atari 2600 ROMs from QR codes. The ROM data is encoded in a QR code, and then the code is read by an app on a Raspberry Pi and converted to a ROM for use with an emulator.

https://www.codedojo.com/?p=2251

Now that's pretty cool.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Good news for Sega fans is that the Mega Drive Mini has been delayed because Sega dumped AtGames.

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/statu ... 0049753090

Google Translate of the tweet wrote:
【Notice】 We will change the release of "MegaDrive Mini (tentative name)" announced at SegaFe's 2018 to 2019. We had been developing for the launch this year, especially the response from overseas customers is great, again we will prepare a model that reproduces "GENESIS" in North America and European version "Mega Drive" in Europe, It is scheduled to be released at the same time in.

But it gets better: https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/statu ... 8645804032

Moreover, in order to achieve the quality which can satisfy all of Sega fans more, we reviewed the design centering on the original members of MegaDrive and took a system to cooperate with domestic developers with proven software development. I'm sorry for all the fans. Please wait for a while with expectation.

Since that's a Japanese account, domestic means a Japanese developer. AtGames has deleted its tweet from April claiming to be the company powering the Mega Drive Mini, and there was much rejoicing.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:01 am

Analogue has announced the Mega Sg:

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1052212620705509376

[Introducing Mega Sg. A reimagining of the underdog that led a 16-bit revolution. Engineered completely in FPGA. Compatible with the 2,180+ Sega Genesis, Mega Drive and Master System game cartridge library.

Pre-order yours now at http://www.analogue.co

It's also compatible with the Sega CD: https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1052212961786224641

Crazy-looking Saturn-style controller in that render. I want to lick it. Made by 8bitdo, the M30. Available for preorder on Amazon at a price of $24.99 with a Genesis-style adapter, shipping Feb 28, 2019.

Their site is down but I'm such a Sega homer that I'll preorder as soon as I see it's back up.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:26 am

I noticed Walmart had the Arcade1Up cabinet when i was there Tuesday. $299 for the Atari one with Centipede, Missile Command, Millipede, & Crystal Castles. They also have a whole section dedicated to knock-off retro games.

superjawes

Mon May 06, 2019 10:02 am

Bumping this for 2 reasons:

1. Has anyone experienced D-pad issues with an 8bitdo controller? I picked up an SN30 and it was WAY to sensitive to the left (and only the left). I would have asked for a replacement, but it seems somewhat common, and also...

2. I stumbled on raphnet technologies during that process, and they make adapters for just about anything. I wanted a SNES-style controller to use on PC, and they make this, which worked perfectly for my needs (the SNES classic controllers use that connector).

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2019 10:07 am

superjawes wrote:
1. Has anyone experienced D-pad issues with an 8bitdo controller? I picked up an SN30 and it was WAY to sensitive to the left (and only the left). I would have asked for a replacement, but it seems somewhat common

Check out the tape mod: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/171 ... -d-pad-mod

It makes the contact area smaller and as a result it reduces the sensitivity. You may not need to do all four directions, so you might want to experiment. It just depends on your preferences and the specific controller, probably.

I've looked at raphnet adapters before but I never bought one. The one I was interested in connected original Sega controllers to the Wiimote for Virtual Console stuff. And then I dumped the Wii and it no longer mattered.

superjawes

Tue May 07, 2019 10:35 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
superjawes wrote:
1. Has anyone experienced D-pad issues with an 8bitdo controller? I picked up an SN30 and it was WAY to sensitive to the left (and only the left). I would have asked for a replacement, but it seems somewhat common

Check out the tape mod: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/171 ... -d-pad-mod

It makes the contact area smaller and as a result it reduces the sensitivity. You may not need to do all four directions, so you might want to experiment. It just depends on your preferences and the specific controller, probably.
I did see the tape mod. Not something I want(ed) to do, and on top that, there was a clear, tactile difference in that direction (little resistance vs. slight bump for others). So the controller got returned last week.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Tue May 07, 2019 10:40 am

I hook a wii or a genesis up to an old commodore monitor for proper 4:3 no-input lag retro fun times. Usually just playing sonic badly or speedrunning Final Fantasy IV
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2019 10:59 am

superjawes wrote:
I did see the tape mod. Not something I want(ed) to do, and on top that, there was a clear, tactile difference in that direction (little resistance vs. slight bump for others). So the controller got returned last week.

That's fair. I wish 8bitdo would do more than just release additional colors of the SN30. Their take on Sega controllers is SO GOOD and SO CLOSE to the original that I wish they'd go back and update the SNES design to more closely match that original, too.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sat May 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Been playing around with a PlayStation Classic this weekend. I tried Autobleem, but it feels limited. I have images of multi-disc games that aren't actually multi-disc games, and it does weird stuff. For example, Final Fantasy Chronicles or Anthology, or Arc the Lad Collection. Even games that have two separate experiences like Resident Evil 2 are strange. Dealing with that means you ahve two games with the same name and no way to customize that I can find.

So then I tried Bleemsync. Using it is more involved, but customization is super simple. If I want different covers for Arc the Lad, Arc the Lad II, Arc the Lad III, and Arc Arena, I can have those very easily. Now I just need a bigger thumb drive. 32 GB spare I have is not enough.

BTW I learned you can get around the voltage limiter that prevents a lot of USB drives from getting enough power. Just use conductive ink to bypass a pair of resistors. Gotta be careful about what you plug in so it doesn't draw too much power, but the typical USB 3.0 thumb drive is not going to be a problem.