Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Upgrade chains

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:11 am

I assume y'all know I got a PS4 Pro at this point.

So I ended up getting a cheap 4K HDR TV to go with it and love it. Far better than I expected for the price, and I want to use my comp with it.

Now my 290 I've noticed (with more demanding games) can't really do 1440p all that well, so pair that with its lack of HDMI 2.0 support...

So now I have a 1070 coming at me. Screw you, HDMI 2.0. :lol:

I wanted to hang around for Vega but the wait wasn't workin for me. I'm sure this could bite me in the ass, but the current mining craze eating up AMDs card supply is not promising.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Upgrade chains

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:21 pm

I have a PS4 pro but I just don't want to get a 4K TV. Don't want to get caught up in that same loop. :lol:

Also, the biggest draw (for me) was how it can speed up regular 1080p titles and how some games (like MLB The Show 17) include modes that will render at 1080 with a higher framerate. High-FPS mode is where it's at (which is why most people here game on PCs, but there are no baseball sims for the PC).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat
Topic Author

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:45 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I have a PS4 pro but I just don't want to get a 4K TV. Don't want to get caught up in that same loop. :lol:

Also, the biggest draw (for me) was how it can speed up regular 1080p titles and how some games (like MLB The Show 17) include modes that will render at 1080 with a higher framerate. High-FPS mode is where it's at (which is why most people here game on PCs, but there are no baseball sims for the PC).

The site has obviously focused on PCs, which still being a high end PC gamer I get but...I get most of my news elsewhere. And Shacknews is doing tech now :lol:

This place is still a personal fave, just not my main source.

At any rate, this is way more money than I intended to spend...I hope all this (and the Xbox One X of course, though I don't know if I need that right away or not) will last me til 2020 since that was the intent with my Ryzen build.
Meow.

LostCat
Topic Author

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:52 pm

I think if it hadn't been for the seriously nonsensical issues I've had with UWP games lately I might've been able to hold off a while longer. I still have no idea what's going on with Gears 4 not launching. Took a while for Forza Horizon 3 to work without insane load times.

I hadn't really had any major problems with AMDs drivers since I got the 290, but now...no idea what's going on there.
Meow.

LostCat
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:03 pm

The plot continues...

TV sucked as a monitor but it made my monitor colors look like **** so I have a new monitor coming.

:o

forunately that is the end of my 2020 build.

ugh. it'll probably take me that long to pay it off ;)
Meow.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:59 am

I'll never understand why Monitors and TVs use essentially the same technology, and in some cases the same panels, but TVs have better colors and Monitors have better sharpness. Make no sense to me.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
I'll never understand why Monitors and TVs use essentially the same technology, and in some cases the same panels, but TVs have better colors and Monitors have better sharpness. Make no sense to me.

As a guess, they're optimizing the electronics driving the panel and the backlight for the expected use case.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

LostCat
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:

I hadn't really noticed that with my old TV. It looked good, but not that good. My new TV is great looking though.

My new monitor is apparently on backorder. :(
Meow.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:12 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I got a 4K TV because it was a good price and larger than what I had.

I've yet to watch any 4K content on it.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

LostCat
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:49 pm

titan wrote:

My ISP is supposedly replacing my 14/1 DSL with 50mb (unspecified upload) fiber O.O

So...err...I could. But to me...I'd rather have higher res interactive content than fancier TV/movies.
Meow.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:47 pm

LostCat wrote:
titan wrote:

My ISP is supposedly replacing my 14/1 DSL with 50mb (unspecified upload) fiber O.O

So...err...I could. But to me...I'd rather have higher res interactive content than fancier TV/movies.

As soon as you get one of those TVs, all content becomes 4K content. Up-scaling is typically enabled by default.

As far as 4K-source content... It will be a while for content to be created, and even longer for the moral panic of New-Format-DRM to subside. Heck, even 1080P stuff is largely still gated behind whatever HDMI specification your TV / video card doesn't support.

LostCat
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
As soon as you get one of those TVs, all content becomes 4K content. Up-scaling is typically enabled by default.

As far as 4K-source content... It will be a while for content to be created, and even longer for the moral panic of New-Format-DRM to subside. Heck, even 1080P stuff is largely still gated behind whatever HDMI specification your TV / video card doesn't support.

You can still tell when you're watching 1080 content with upscaling.

It's an Android TV thing so that is at least good for Netflix 4K if not much else. I mean...anything else.
Meow.

LostCat
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:21 am

Cancelled the monitor order since it's on backorder anyway. Mixed reviews on its HDR support as well, but I'm sure it's still better than this mon.

I'm sure I'll get one eventually! But for now it seems I'll just bring my TV back in here and see what I can do with that.
Meow.