Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Will high GPU prices kill off PC gaming?

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:13 am

The only thing that kills off PC gaming is the annual endorsement from Microsoft on how they are now committed to gamers on the PC.

Serious ... this year, they aim to make things much more enjoyable for gamers.

No really, THIS is the year that they follow through !!

Now come on, they weren't TOO serious about it last year ...

But THIS year !!! Ohhh boy, you gamers are in for a treat !!

:-?

I'd be more concerned if MS >DIDN'T< let us know how much they want us all to know they care.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 am

MS's stance is irritating to actual gamers, true. But on the other hand other OS vendors don't even bother to say anything at all.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
MS's stance is irritating to actual gamers, true. But on the other hand other OS vendors don't even bother to say anything at all.

Valve is technically an OS vendor. But we all know how well SteamOS adoption has been coming along.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:33 am

just brew it! wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

Valve is technically an OS vendor. But we all know how well SteamOS adoption has been coming along.

JBI, while it would have been nice if SteamOS caught on, it already accomplished what it needed to do - pretty much every indie game now has a Linux version.

It's one of the reasons my wife's transition to Mint was almost painless.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:34 am

Walkintarget wrote:
The only thing that kills off PC gaming is the annual endorsement from Microsoft on how they are now committed to gamers on the PC.

I'd be more concerned if MS >DIDN'T< let us know how much they want us all to know they care.

Sounds like "this is the year of the Linux desktop!!11!!!". /jab-at-op :lol:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Walkintarget wrote:

Sounds like "this is the year of the Linux desktop!!11!!!". /jab-at-op :lol:

Ha Ha thanks for the jab.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Walkintarget wrote:

Considering Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 were of extremely few reasons I had to upgrade my PC at all I think they care more than anyone else does anymore.

More devs than expected elsewise appear to be retreating to console only or PS4 only releases.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:45 am

I am just not getting excited like I used to for AAA titles. Not sure if that's on account of my old age (likely) or that they're just not making the games that I like these days (also possible). Most likely it's a combination. I've never really been a 3D shooter fan, and it feels like tons of AAA titles just boil down to first- or third-person shooting.

OTOH, I am a big strategy fan, and Dawn of War III is pretty great.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:29 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I am just not getting excited like I used to for AAA titles. Not sure if that's on account of my old age (likely) or that they're just not making the games that I like these days (also possible). Most likely it's a combination. I've never really been a 3D shooter fan, and it feels like tons of AAA titles just boil down to first- or third-person shooting.

OTOH, I am a big strategy fan, and Dawn of War III is pretty great.

Well, I'm more an open world fan than a shooter fan, though many do have shooting. A well designed and unique open world game is a treat. Horizon, for example, is a lot better than I expected it to be.

MS needs Crackdown 3 to actually be good and to actually get some good new IP out there. I don't remember the last new IP I saw out of them.
___

ahh, Recore. well. it's alright, not amazing tho
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:27 pm

I like some open-world stuff. I love the Grand Theft Auto series going back to GTA3 on the PS2. The shooting is less twitchy, and aim assist helps. So does the fact that there's plenty of other stuff to do, so the shooting gets broken up. The stories and characters are all pretty great, and that helps distract me, too. I guess I'm saying I can endure the shooting if there are other, bigger reasons to get through it and if it's not the core gameplay.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen