Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Final Fantasy Series on Android

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Just wondering if anyone has gotten the FF series on Android, and if it's worth getting.. 1-6 are on sale, and I was feeling a bit nostalgic

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Final Fantasy Series on Android

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:36 pm

I have 1 and 6 and they're not bad, but not great. The translation has been re-done, which makes it maybe more accurate but it lost some of the charm from SNES FF3. The touch controls aren't too shabby, and at least 6 has controller support. The difficulty on both has been dropped a bit, which means you don't have to do as much grinding. That makes sense on a handheld format, but I played FF6 on the Shield and it was a cakewalk. Not exactly what I expected.

The graphics are higher res, but they're not even 1080p. Very obvious pixelation on my 1080p TV in FF6.

Overall they're as good as it gets, but I find myself going back to SNES FF3 and PSOne Final Fantasy Origins when I want to play those games. I haven't played any of the other Android ports, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

EzioAs
Gerbil First Class

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:23 pm

If they (4,5 & 6) are ported from the GBA versions, then they should be really good (aside from the controls since Idk how good they are implemented).
Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz | Palit Jetstream GTX 1060 6GB | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Obsidian 750D | 250GB Crucial MX500 | 320GB WD Blue | 1TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Black

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:53 am

EzioAs wrote:
If they (4,5 & 6) are ported from the GBA versions, then they should be really good (aside from the controls since Idk how good they are implemented).

They're not. They've all been rewritten and graphics enhanced. FF4 is based on the DS version with 3D graphics and such.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 am

FFV is based on the GBA Advance version AFAIK. The extra content and new classes are all there, but it's still 2D. Which reminds me, I still haven't cleared Neo Shinryu.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:29 am

This is not totally relevant, but I wish Squaresoft hadn't sold out to the freemium ass cancer. Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire is a freemium which looks like a reskin of Mobile Strike. These types of games are simply toxic to the gaming world. Certain people are vulnerable to them the way others are vulnerable to slot machines.

I really thought Squaresoft was better than that.

geniekid
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:36 am

I found the controls for FF1-6 to be more than adequate. Graphical updates are a nice touch given that your average smartphone these days has an order of magnitude greater resolution than what the earlier FF assets were designed for. All the games have some form of quick save (I think) which is really nice for playing these games on-the-go. Even without the quick save though, FF1-6 are a good fit for mobile gaming since a lot of the time you are just grinding through random encounters on your way from point A to point B.

I've only played FF1-5 on Android so I don't have any comments on how they compare to their original versions. FF6 felt more or less what I remembered it to be content-wise. No comment on difficulty versus the original.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:44 am

The "remaster" of V and VI made them look like RPGMaker trash. They totally screwed it up.

You'll get a better experience with an emulator, a ROM and a Bluetooth controller.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:02 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
This is not totally relevant, but I wish Squaresoft hadn't sold out to the freemium ass cancer. Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire is a freemium which looks like a reskin of Mobile Strike. These types of games are simply toxic to the gaming world. Certain people are vulnerable to them the way others are vulnerable to slot machines.

I really thought Squaresoft was better than that.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper f2p was trash long before this game was released. :lol:

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:18 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Final Fantasy Record Keeper f2p was trash long before this game was released. :lol:

I did try that one...I got bored and I don't think they got more than 5 or 10 bucks from me. The issue I have with Mobile Strike style games...if someone pays more than you they win (obviously) but they also destroy all your stuff. This is a game style for psychopaths.

I understand pvp ranking ladders and rewards. But the analogy with World of Warcraft or similar would be in open world PVP if they kill you, your items permanently vanish. Few people would probably play that. But they have found a niche where they can exploit addictive personalities with these games. I find it abhorrent. Probably 'cause I mildly have spent too much myself on freemium. I feel stupid if I waste 20 bucks on a game I end up hating, and I do believe people have responsibility for their choices. But you hear stories of weak people who have sunk $10,000 into these types of games and they have nothing at the end.

To me, one thing in freemium which should be law is what was proposed in China. Any time there is any gambling aspect whatsoever, they have to publish your chances.

EzioAs
Gerbil First Class

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:23 am

jihadjoe wrote:
FFV is based on the GBA Advance version AFAIK. The extra content and new classes are all there, but it's still 2D. Which reminds me, I still haven't cleared Neo Shinryu.

What?! You go do that now! :P

NTMBK wrote:
The "remaster" of V and VI made them look like RPGMaker trash. They totally screwed it up.

You'll get a better experience with an emulator, a ROM and a Bluetooth controller.

Yeah, I gotta say the visuals aren't really appealing but if what geniekid wrote above is true, than the ability to quick save is worth it..then again, emulators can do that too and I played FF6 Advance on an emulator last year and it was great even at 1080p.
Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz | Palit Jetstream GTX 1060 6GB | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Obsidian 750D | 250GB Crucial MX500 | 320GB WD Blue | 1TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Black

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:56 am

The music in FF6 Advance is out of tune in places (particularly the battle theme). I played it on a GBA SP back when it released, because I was super excited to revisit it, and was immediately disappointed. They also "fixed" many of the translation quirks I grew to love - "Son of a submariner!", which throat Shadow would slit and for how much, and so on.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:57 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The music in FF6 Advance is out of tune in places (particularly the battle theme). I played it on a GBA SP back when it released, because I was super excited to revisit it, and was immediately disappointed. They also "fixed" many of the translation quirks I grew to love - "Son of a submariner!", which throat Shadow would slit and for how much, and so on.

This is another reason why ROMs and emulation can give you a better experience- there are ROM hacks that patch the original music back into the GBA version https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/657/ and that change the translation to be closer to the SNES original https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/718/

druidcent
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:49 am

I've only used an emulator on my PC way back in college.. can you use an emulator on your phone, and what will it do to the battery life? (also, the point of the phone is to not have to worry about controllers etc. :D) Based on the feedback, sounds like I should pick up FFIV and FFVI for sure.. I was thinking FF1 for nostalgia.. 2 looked interesting but all the screenshots in the Play store had Japanse text, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to read them...

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:04 pm

druidcent wrote:
I've only used an emulator on my PC way back in college.. can you use an emulator on your phone, and what will it do to the battery life? (also, the point of the phone is to not have to worry about controllers etc. :D) Based on the feedback, sounds like I should pick up FFIV and FFVI for sure.. I was thinking FF1 for nostalgia.. 2 looked interesting but all the screenshots in the Play store had Japanse text, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to read them...

Yeah, plenty of Android SNES emulators, with support for touch controls if you don't want a controller :)

druidcent
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:17 pm

NTMBK wrote:
druidcent wrote:

Yeah, plenty of Android SNES emulators, with support for touch controls if you don't want a controller :)

How do they do with Battery life? And can you recommend any in the play store?

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:14 pm

druidcent wrote:
NTMBK wrote:
druidcent wrote:

How do they do with Battery life? And can you recommend any in the play store?

SNES9x works well for me, and is free if you want to try it out. I don't notice the battery life being particularly worse than normal Android gaming, but I'm not a great judge of that!