Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

PUBG

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Anyone else playing this game? Conceptually, I love it. Practically, they make decisions that are opening it up for rampant cheating/hacking. I play with some guys I know from Day of Defeat:Source and we have been teaming up quite a bit. Solo, I bounce between being ranked in the 700's to .04%. Its been a blast playing it. I am starting to do a Twitch Stream.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: PUBG

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Wow is this the first thread about this game? Crazy considering its all the rage right now for the pvp community.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

TheEmrys
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Wow is this the first thread about this game? Crazy considering its all the rage right now for the pvp community.

Right? I think its crazy. But, the game is just a ton of fun. Maybe there aren't very many shooter players any more. I do have to say, that this game is the anti-thesis of the sort of game I love: rich stories, off-line options, even dungeon-crawls. But this game is just not stop tension and good old shoot-and-loots.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:57 pm

I haven't played it, but it sounds like a winning formula. Clearly the developers were paying close attention to the strengths and weaknesses of 'hardcore' PvP multiplayer games like Eve and DayZ.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 pm

Well h1z1 tried it first, then pubg did it way better. Kindof feel bad for the h1z1 guys but their version was to arcadey.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

boberson105
Gerbil

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 am

H1Z1 and PUBG are designed by the same person though.
Corsair 350D | Season S12 650 | Asrock Z97 Pro3 | 16GB G-Skill DDR3-1600 | Intel I5 4670K 4.0GHz | MSi GTX 970

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:49 am

boberson105 wrote:

No, they aren't.
When drunk.....

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:01 am

I have been playing PUBG quite a bit lately; sometimes I play very carefully & cautiously, creeping and crawling towards the end. Other times I get in a vehicle and drive around honking like a maniac, trying to run people over. :lol: I really love the whole scale of the game; 100 players on an 8km by 8km map is really nice. I will say that the game was rather buggy & had performance issues when I got it back in September, but those have been massively smoothed out since then. Anyone who tried it early on and was turned off by those issues might want to give it another go.

There are two things I would like to see, that would make the game better. The first would be really easy; just let players choose which map they are going to when they click the find match button. Some days I only want to play one map or the other. The second would be to add some sort of single-player training map, with a shooting range and vehicle track; that would let people get a feel for the game without having to die and then join another map.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:28 am

Those insertion-point boxing matches are a blast until someone picks up a pistol :D

TheEmrys
Topic Author

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:33 am

Because my wife won't know what I am talking about, I am going to post it here. I am now ranked 479 in Solo's. I was all the way down to 387, until.... Chinese Hacker.

David

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:32 am

Heiwashin wrote:
boberson105 wrote:

No, they aren't.

Player Unkown was the main guy behind H1Z1's king of the hill mode, and he created the Battle Royale mods for ARMA.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:39 am

Tried Fortnite this weekend, which is essentially a ripoff of PUBG (which I never got around to buying) in a TF2 artistic style.

One thing I didn't anticipate was how boring it is if you're not "good". Out of 20 matches, I killed 5 people (never more than 1 per match), which meant I wandered around gathering weapons for 5-10 minutes each match, then the first person I saw would kill me (even if I had the drop on them) and I'd be back in the lobby starting up another match. Rinse & repeat. Definitely not fun. I uninstalled Fortnite after match 20. On the bright side, Fortnite is free, instead of learning the same lesson after buying PUBG.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:42 am

It's definitely a game centered on people that get a charge out of raw pvp. I have no interest in playing, I'm not competitive enough to care.
When drunk.....

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:31 pm

The one saving grace that the "traditional" PvP games have is that when you die, you simply respawn and are right back in the action (despite being unrealistic). So even if you suck, you still get to play. In PUBG/Fortnite, once you die, you're out. Back to the lobby to search for a new match, wait around in the staging area for a couple minutes for the match to start, then skydive onto the map and begin the process of acquiring weapons all over again.

I know Fortnite doesn't have as many game modes as PUBG

I tried many strategies, none of them worked well:
Drop to a point where many others are located = usually ended in getting killed by someone I never even saw.
Drop to a remote location and be aggressive = 1 on 1 battles in a kill-or-be-killed situation. Apparently I suck at shooting...
Drop to a remote location and avoid others = Mostly boring, eventually the shrinking map forces you to fight...

I guess this just reinforces why I don't play online multiplayer games anymore
/rant
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

LostCat

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:17 am

DPete27 wrote:
The one saving grace that the "traditional" PvP games have is that when you die, you simply respawn and are right back in the action (despite being unrealistic). So even if you suck, you still get to play. In PUBG/Fortnite, once you die, you're out. Back to the lobby to search for a new match, wait around in the staging area for a couple minutes for the match to start, then skydive onto the map and begin the process of acquiring weapons all over again.

Cross platform play just went live for Fortnite including PC/PS4/Xbox and mobile. I doubt it really takes very long to start a match, though I only played the Battle Royale mode once.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:55 pm

A friend of mine was talking about how into Fartnight his sons are and how he got sucked in. That plus the free stuff Twitch Prime gave me a bunch of free stuff for it, so I downloaded it last night on my PS4.

First couple of matches echoed what DPete27 said, but there's something addictive in there that will draw me back into it tonight.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:40 pm

LostCat wrote:
Cross platform play just went live for Fortnite including PC/PS4/Xbox and mobile.

Does this mean what I think it means? I could be playing on my PC against someone on their phone? Yeesh! How do they overcome the input disadvantages (in a fair manner). I don't appreciate having to be pinpoint accurate on my PC while some console chump simply has to get their crosshair inside a 10' circle around my character to hit me.

LostCat

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:58 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Does this mean what I think it means? I could be playing on my PC against someone on their phone? Yeesh! How do they overcome the input disadvantages (in a fair manner). I don't appreciate having to be pinpoint accurate on my PC while some console chump simply has to get their crosshair inside a 10' circle around my character to hit me.

I assume you'd have to ask Epic or read more than I have about it. Honestly, I don't even care about PvP so I only know how it works for coop.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:09 pm

DPete27 wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm playing on PS4 and getting my ass handed to me on a plate. Precision > auto-aim, I bet.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

joemiller
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:43 am

I've been playing PUBG for a year, and I really like it. The game brought something new to the gaming industry, and so far I do not know its worthy competitors. That's why the game managed to win interest and respect among gamers. It's not a team game; you play for yourself, so all the essence boils down to killing opponents before they kill you. It might seem like a complicated task at first sight, but you can handle it. Like any other game, PUBG requires time and perseverance.
Developers regularly add new PUBG skins, but almost all skins have a fancy and eccentric style. To fill your collection with nice items, you need to play a lot, be successful in the shooting, get virtual money, and buy crates.
The game is still far from ideal and needs to be optimized, of course, but developers gradually eliminate these problems. I hope that soon it will become even better.