Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

PrincipalSkinner
Gerbil
Topic Author

Buying a console

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:31 pm

I never thought this day would come. I've been playing games for 30 years now. Commodore 64, Amiga and finally PC.
Lately I was playing Dark Souls 3 until I got banned(I was a benign cheater) and then I sold my GTX 1070 for more than I bought it(thx greedy miner).
Then I decided I'd need to feed my 65 inch TV with something.
So that brings up a choice. PS4 Pro or Xbone X?

I mostly plan to play co-op or 1v1 games with friends in the same room.
Are there any meaningful differences between the two in terms of game pricing and accessibility or does it come down to battle of exclusive titles?

EzioAs
Gerbil First Class

Re: Buying a console

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:25 pm

If those 2 are what you've considered, then just go with whatever you want and have the games you want. Honestly, i don't think you can go wrong with either because more games are multi-platforms these days. Yes, there are exclusive titles on both but if you're looking to play those exclusives, then I don't think there's a point in asking others which device to buy.
Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz | Palit Jetstream GTX 1060 6GB | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Obsidian 750D | 250GB Crucial MX500 | 320GB WD Blue | 1TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Black

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:04 am

General Opinions
XBOne: more intuitive interface, better controller.
PS4: More exclusive games if one already has a PC (I do).

Games
XBOne: Forza Horizon 3 and Rare Replay.
PS4: Bloodborne and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I do think that the main difference is the exclusive selection. Normally that is PS4 strong suit, but if you aren't going to be playing on PC anymore, there may be some console exclusives worth considering. Both have special deals tacked onto their online subscriptions, both have solid controllers. Getting the best deals probably comes down to where you shop, but Amazon can be a great equalizer there. I guess if you were interested in some digital purchases, Microsoft do have that thing where you can buy certain games to play on both XBOne and PC, if that interests you.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:12 am

Buy a Switch.

PrincipalSkinner
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:41 am

Switch isn't really an option since I intend to make use of the 65 inch TV. And play co-op with friends.
I don't plan on playing much on PC since I'll be moving to a laptop.
I guess it's a PS4 then. They are easier to find here and used games should be cheaper too.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:43 am

PrincipalSkinner wrote:
Switch isn't really an option since I intend to make use of the 65 inch TV. And play co-op with friends.
I guess it's a PS4 then. They are easier to find here and used games should be cheaper too.

Switch has a HDMI dock that works just fine, and comes with two controllers out of the box to make co-op easy. You can even play co-op in the pub.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 am

Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:26 am

PrincipalSkinner wrote:

I bought myself a gaming laptop and ditched my PC tower gaming machine. I love the gaming laptop. I had to shop around as I wanted a good battery as well but eventually found a Dell 7000 with a Geforece 1050 TI and a 76Kwh. I love the portability aspect of it and I'll probably never go back to a desktop.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:06 am

I'll admit I'm biased but I have loved my xbox's. I feel the integration has been pretty good with the rest of my life/ecosystem. The XboxOneX is the best you can get today from a visual standpoint and will probably last you longer before the upgrade itch. It seems like Microsoft is moving away from the generational changes to incremental changes on the consoles just like they are doing with Windows.

LostCat

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:59 am

Major difference in power with the Xbox One X over the ps4 pro. I've pretty much abandoned my ps4 pro at this point....there's almost no reason to use it since I finished Horizon Zero Dawn.

Some games look far better on X1X, some don't (but it's a huge difference when it's used well.)

Game Pass is great too if you haven't played MSes best especially, and with it covering all their upcoming stuff day one that's pretty awesome.

I bought a year of ps+ and I have a couple games on ps4 to finish still but at this point I plan to give it away or trade it in soon.
Meow.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:18 pm

IMO it's about the extra features other than gaming that make the console. I mean, both game fine. It's a console, that's what it does. There are exclusives to each but IMO buying a 400+ dollar device for one or two exclusives is very strange. The more intuitive interface, connnnnnnstant updates, and the far, far, far superior controller of the Xbone make it for me.

Not like you can go terribly wrong with either, but I like my Xbone and wouldn't trade it for even a PS4 Pro if given the chance.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:31 pm

I haven't owned an Xbone in about 18 months but I was *very* unhappy with the state of the UI when I got rid of it. It was sluggish, everything was in a long vertical list, it hid my games and apps at the bottom of that list in favor of ads for store entries, and I felt like the whole experience was poor.

I kept the PS4 primarily because of that, and when I went 4K I chose the PS4 Pro because I was happy with the UI.

I write all that to say this: everyone has preferences.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:33 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I haven't owned an Xbone in about 18 months but I was *very* unhappy with the state of the UI when I got rid of it. It was sluggish, everything was in a long vertical list, it hid my games and apps at the bottom of that list in favor of ads for store entries, and I felt like the whole experience was poor.

I kept the PS4 primarily because of that, and when I went 4K I chose the PS4 Pro because I was happy with the UI.

I write all that to say this: everyone has preferences.

No, no, it's just improved massively since. When I got my Sunset Overdrive bundle I stuck with it overall but HOLY **** THE BUGS

And the internal hard drive was terrifyingly bad for games. Leave apps on it and nothing else. (X1X has no such problem, and I prefer the internal to my ext at least.)

Pretty flawless experience these days. And the backwards compatibility stuff is amazing at times, especially on the X1X where you're getting huge visual upgrades for free without them even touching the game code.
Meow.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:44 pm

DancinJack wrote:
There are exclusives to each but IMO buying a 400+ dollar device for one or two exclusives is very strange.

Some people, like myself, only buy consoles to play specific games.

If certain consoles don't have certain games, I have no reason to purchase that console.

In an ideal world this wouldn't be a thing, but it's the world we're in and so I don't think it's very strange at all.

Especially as someone who has a gaming PC, if it's not an exclusive, it's probably available on the PC and the ports these days don't suck anywhere near as much as they used to. In fact, not only can you use a controller (the exact same controller, even) for a basically identical experience, they usually perform -better- and you can typically seamless switch to/from keyboard/mouse.

It's like a golden age, actually.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:45 pm

That's good news for Xbox owners, at least. And I do agree with DJ that the controller is way better than the PS4's, but I don't mind the PS4 controller either.

And Glorious is right - lots of people buy for the exclusives. I only ever got a PS4 so I could play MLB The Show, Disgaea 5, and Uncharted 4. It made getting rid of the Xbox easier, since I am not a fan of later Gears of War games, Halo (at all), Forza, or any of the other big franchises.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:58 pm

PrincipalSkinner wrote:
So that brings up a choice. PS4 Pro or Xbone X?...

Are there any meaningful differences between the two in terms of game pricing and accessibility or does it come down to battle of exclusive titles?

It's always come down to a battle between exclusives, with an exception for the PS2 generation when it offered a "free" Blu-ray player.

The Switch is worth considering, as well. If you're after AAA-level graphics as seems to be the case, however, it wouldn't be an ideal fit.

Takeshi7
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:06 pm

PrincipalSkinner wrote:

Well if you're going to play co-op with friends, get whatever console your friends have. I have Xbox One and PS4, but I play PS4 more because that's what the majority of my friends have.

PrincipalSkinner
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Damn. I pretty much decided I'm buying a PS4. Now you guys are making me question that decision. :)
I doubt I'd notice difference in game visuals between the two consoles as they are not massively different.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:59 pm

AFAIK the Sony consoles tend to have better RPGs and and Microsoft consoles have better shooters, so if you have a genre preference you may want to take that into account.

LostCat

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:54 pm

PrincipalSkinner wrote:
they are not massively different.

Depends what you're playing. Shadow of War and FF15 are much better on X1X than PS4P. I know there're more but I don't know them offhand, since I gave up on my PS4P pretty quick once the X1X got here.
Meow.

superjawes

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:14 am

PrincipalSkinner wrote:
Focus on this point. There might be some visual diffrences when looking at a PS4 vs. XBOne (and PS4 Pro vs. XBOne X), but overall I think they're going to be very similar. Piece out a list of games you want to play, compare the exclusives, then choose. If most of your list can be covered by either system, pick the interface and/or controller you prefer.

And just for a crazier suggestion...it looks like Amazon's going rate for an Xbox One S is ~$230 (plus a game), and a PS4 slim is $300. You could get both consoles for $530, play a bunch of games, test drive the interfaces, and pick a favorite. Then you can sell both consoles to buy the Pro/Enhanced version. Heck, if you can find good used deals, you could probably spend even less on this test.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

janicescott
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:14 pm

On my opinion, PS4 is better because for this console there are more exclusive games and they are more interesting (The Last Of Us, Uncharted etc.) The graphics on both consoles are equally good. If you have 4k TV you must buy PS4 Pro but if you don't have it - you can buy simple PS4. The difference is only in 4k
Hello!

PrincipalSkinner
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks guys. I bought a PS4 Pro , stuffed it with a 2TB SSHD and so far so good.
But having to control a camera with a stick is something I'll have a hard time adjusting to.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:17 pm

Sounds like you can connect a mouse and keyboard to PS4 or XB1.
I like the irony.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

LostCat

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am

DPete27 wrote:
Sounds like you can connect a mouse and keyboard to PS4 or XB1.
I like the irony.

The general method might be disabled in the future, depending on the developers.
https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/965334394662567936
Meow.

EricBoss
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:35 pm

@PrincipalSkinner a fellow Commodore64 brotha eh? Well I don't think it's even a choice. XBox one all the way. Just Halo on Xbox one is a good enough game. I would rather play 1 or 2 great games than tons of mediocre time wasters. Also don't forget a KILLER Scarface game is on Xbox One. Classic and a half!

dwayne22
Gerbil

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:08 am

PC Gaming is Still best For me
A Tech Geek

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:33 am

dwayne22 wrote:
PC Gaming is Still best For me

Cool story

LostCat

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:27 am

NTMBK wrote:
Cool story

I know right? You'd think they were spammers.

I still prefer PC for kb+m on some stuff but since I'm not that into 120/144hz gaming (I like it, but it seems more like something a PvPer would want more than anyone else) the X1X hits what I need as far as quality and smoothness.

(The PS4P definitely doesn't. I enjoyed some stuff on it, but only load it up once every few months. I'd definitely say that the X1X and PS4P are equally good is extremely delusional.)
Meow.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:58 pm

PrincipalSkinner wrote:

Your focus should be more on games rather than the console.

Couch games off the top of my head:

* Cuphead (XBone / PC)
* Mario Kart (Switch)
* Bomberman (Switch)
* Puyo Puyo Tetris (Switch / PS4 / PC)
* Dragon's Crown Pro (PS4)
* Jamestown+ (XBone / PS4 / PC)
* Crawl (XBone / PS4 / PC / Switch)
* Rocket League (All)
* Overcooked (All)

Once you figure out which of these games you like the best, buy an SNES Classic and be done with it. (LOL) But seriously though, the games you plan to play is priority #1. All of the consoles offer similar capabilities, aside from their game selection. Even PC Gaming can be good couch gaming if you configure things nicely.