Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Found this Free To Play game on Steam and it is very additive. I've been playing this for about half a week or so now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/667890/Dead_Maze/
Anyone else playing this?

I do have to say however, it isn't bad at all for a Free To Play game. But like I said I can't stop playing this.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:26 pm

No commits? This forum is awful silent for a rainy day.
 
meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1513
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 am

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:43 am

I suppose it's just because the answers are "no". :)
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 53714
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:57 am

whm1974 wrote:
This forum is awful silent for a rainy day.

Because when it rains at your house it rains everywhere?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:30 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
This forum is awful silent for a rainy day.

Because when it rains at your house it rains everywhere?

I doubt that I'm the only one in the large area where it was raining that is the only one the Tech Report.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11914
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:41 am

Well there certainly a dark cloud following the "developments" in this thread....

I'll, uh, give you that?
 
Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2196
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Squirrel!

:P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Posts: 13961
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:51 pm
Location: Streamwood, IL

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:06 pm

I would try if I could find more time.

I downloaded that other F2P that someone mentioned on Steam and it's been sitting there for months.

Playing Disgaea and Hearthstone is all I can keep up with, maybe 1 hr/day.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11914
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:15 pm

Sometimes to say nothing is to assent: qui tacet consentire videtur

However, in the field of open-ended internet interrogatory, well...

Silence just means: "Nope." :wink:

---

If *YOU* go "bump" in the night (or in a thread), do you expect the silence to answer?
 
LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2098
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Alphanumeric symbols.

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:27 am

meerkt wrote:
I suppose it's just because the answers are "no". :)

People seem to get awfully touchy when you criticize indie games, so yeah pretty much.

I have plenty of underplayed games that look much more entertaining than this.
Meow.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:46 pm

LostCat wrote:
meerkt wrote:
I suppose it's just because the answers are "no". :)

People seem to get awfully touchy when you criticize indie games, so yeah pretty much.

I have plenty of underplayed games that look much more entertaining than this.

But it is still addictive.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11914
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:54 pm

So is heroin.
 
Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4668
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:49 pm
Location: Europe, most frequently London.

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:02 pm

Had a quick look at the game on Steam.

It looks rubbish, the reviews are mixed and there's a lot of criticism that it's pay2win.

Most people's time is too valuable to tolerate the torrent of P2W freemium junk on the market.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:04 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Had a quick look at the game on Steam.

It looks rubbish, the reviews are mixed and there's a lot of criticism that it's pay2win.

Most people's time is too valuable to tolerate the torrent of P2W freemium junk on the market.

Actually you don't have to pay to win, but you can if you want to.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11914
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:07 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Actually you don't have to pay to win, but you can if you want to.


That is not a particularly coherent sentence dude.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Glorious wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Actually you don't have to pay to win, but you can if you want to.


That is not a particularly coherent sentence dude.

There are three currencies in the game. Two you earn, and one you buy.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11914
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:12 pm

...not what I was getting at. :wink:
 
Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3263
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Pay to win of any type is cancer to a game.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11914
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Waco wrote:
Pay to win of any type is cancer to a game.


Right.

Let me spell it out for whm1974:

whm1974 wrote:
Actually you don't have to pay to win, but you can if you want to.


The above statement doesn't make any sense because you can either pay to win, or you can't. That is, either the stuff you pay for is solely cosmetic, such as costumes or hats or whatever, or it isn't. If it isn't, if what you pay for is influencing gameplay mechanics in *ANY* sense, it's pay to win.

So saying that you don't have to pay to win, but you can pay to win (if you want to :roll:), means, quite simply, that, yes, you can pay to win. DO NOT WANT.

Either/Or.

End of story.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Glorious wrote:
Waco wrote:
Pay to win of any type is cancer to a game.


Right.

Let me spell it out for whm1974:

whm1974 wrote:
Actually you don't have to pay to win, but you can if you want to.


The above statement doesn't make any sense because you can either pay to win, or you can't. That is, either the stuff you pay for is solely cosmetic, such as costumes or hats or whatever, or it isn't. If it isn't, if what you pay for is influencing gameplay mechanics in *ANY* sense, it's pay to win.

So saying that you don't have to pay to win, but you can pay to win (if you want to :roll:), means, quite simply, that, yes, you can pay to win. DO NOT WANT.

Either/Or.

End of story.

Well I'm playing the game because I enjoy it. And no I'm not spending hard money to buy stuff in-game.
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11914
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:13 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Well I'm playing the game because I enjoy it. And no I'm not spending hard money to buy stuff in-game.


Do whatever you want.

But if someone asks if it is pay2win, the answer is either yes or no.

It's not "you don't have to" "You can if you want to".

Because it's not just that *I* don't want to, it's that I don't want anyone *else* to: cheating is annoying already, and if the makers of the game are literally selling their own cheats in it, Noooope.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope.

NOPE.

----

Again, do whatever you like. But we didn't make a thread saying "Don't play Dead Maze!", did we?
 
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Posts: 13961
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:51 pm
Location: Streamwood, IL

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:29 pm

Waco wrote:
Pay to win of any type is cancer to a game.

It is, it has been getting so prevalent. They are playing the lottery of hooking addictive personality whales.

When they can make so much more money this way, no wonder the games are everywhere.

I am not saying the whales have no responsibility, they do. But it's like traditional casinos hooking gambers. I have no use for those either.

I'm ok with playing freemium if I don't get crushed by pvp people who pay. Optional pvp is the key to me. But I also lament at the gaming trend where so much is going to this toxic model.

Edit: how is Clash of Clans still topping the "Top Grossing" in Google Play Store? That game is such crap.
#3 is Clash Royale

I will never again play any game where the person who pays more destroys my village/spaceship/ship.
Match 3 is so boring.
I'm still waiting for that magical freemium game which is truly innovative.
 
cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:51 pm

Meh. It sounded cool until I started looking at the reviews. Adding a play-to-win element would be bad enough... but it sounds like the devs are deliberately gearing the game around play-to-win. For example, taking away items that players previously purchased, or adding PvP and making purchased items lootable...

Overall it just sounds like all of their ongoing development is geared around grabbing more money from their players. I don't begrudge game developers from trying to make a buck, but that doesn't mean I want to play the goofy stuff they come up with as they try to wrap the entire game around that goal.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Any Free to Play games that are not Pay To Win?
 
Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus
Posts: 11914
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:09 pm

I'm sorry, did you say "Fee to pay?"
 
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Posts: 13961
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:51 pm
Location: Streamwood, IL

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:24 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Any Free to Play games that are not Pay To Win?

Well you have to define what you mean by Pay to Win. By Glorious' strict standards, a game I play called Seaport on my phone is still Pay to Win. But my game experience is not impinged in any way if someone has better ships than me.

I was stupid enough to play Mobile Strike a few years back. Someone who pays more than you can kill your leader, destroy your troops, etc and you have to rebuild everything. That's extreme pay to win. Games like Seaport or Township, while eventually getting boring, don't have mandatory pvp with dire consequences for losing.

If you play Candy Crush and you like match 3 and don't spend a dime, I guess its not bad for you. But the trend still looks toxic for gaming.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 53714
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Maybe the criteria should be "pay to enjoy"? If you find a game enjoyable without paying for the premium items/content, then to you it is a good "free" game?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
RAGEPRO
Gerbil
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:50 am
Location: Golden Triangle, Texas
Contact:

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:37 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Any Free to Play games that are not Pay To Win?

Sure. I'm a big fan of Warframe, by Digital Extremes. It has possibly the most player-friendly monetization scheme of all free games. It's also quite unique in terms of gameplay, offering a pretty even mix of third-person shooting, melee brawling, and stealth action. It's a legitimately good game.

Disclaimer: I did not read the whole rest of the thread
Dead Maze looked really cute when I saw it a while back. I meant to try it, but never did. Now, reading the Steam reviews it looks like it's probably not worth the time anymore. From what I'm reading, it looks like publisher intervention in a game that wasn't making enough money. They'll probably get their money back in the short-term but ultimately it's going to kill off the game. Shame, because too many games have died that way.
 
LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2098
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Alphanumeric symbols.

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:50 pm

RAGEPRO wrote:
Sure. I'm a big fan of Warframe, by Digital Extremes. It has possibly the most player-friendly monetization scheme of all free games. It's also quite unique in terms of gameplay, offering a pretty even mix of third-person shooting, melee brawling, and stealth action. It's a legitimately good game.

I used to be a huge fan. These days if I try to go back...they've made void stuff and crafting from the new areas pretty annoying. I can't get that excited anymore, but it's still interesting.
Meow.
 
Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3263
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Los Alamos, NM

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:39 am

Path of Exile is free to play and the things you can throw money at are strictly cosmetic.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests
GZIP: On