Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Anyone else playing Dead Maze?

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:46 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Maybe the criteria should be "pay to enjoy"? If you find a game enjoyable without paying for the premium items/content, then to you it is a good "free" game?

If I google "toxic freemium" or "freemium addiction" and read enough posts, it seems dangerous to play these games for people who get hooked on the dopamine cycle. Just like people sitting in front of slot machines.

I'm still playing a few of them. Hard to find a balance between modestly supporting the servers and lurching towards being a whale or paying so many micro-transactions over time that you could have bought a new AAA game.

To help myself analyze my own behavior, I built a spreadsheet that has hours played vs. money spent. The best ratios for me were not freemium, instead games such as Hearts of Iron, Disgaea, Stellaris, or Diablo 3.

One could say D3 builds the dopamine rush a different way but at least you pay once only.

The lead singer of rock band "Sex Pistols" spent $15000 on freemium games.
http://www.businessinsider.com/sex-pist ... ps-2014-11

I guess he probably had the money!

edit: grammar
Last edited by Hawkwing74 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Maybe the criteria should be "pay to enjoy"? If you find a game enjoyable without paying for the premium items/content, then to you it is a good "free" game?

If I google "toxic freemium" or "freemium addiction" and read enough posts, it seems dangerous to play these games for people who get hooked on the dopamine cycle. Just like people sitting in front of slot machines.

I'm still playing a few of them. Hard to find a balance between modestly supporting the servers and lurching towards being a whale or paying so many micro-transactions over time that you could have bought a new AAA game.

To help myself analyze my own behavior, I built a spreadsheet that has hours played vs. money spent. The best ratios for me were not freemium such as Hearts of Iron, Disgaea, Diablo 3.

One could say D3 builds the dopamine rush a different way but at least you pay once only.

Thanks, I'll be mindful of the toxic freemium issue as I'm on a fixed income and can avoid the problem entirely by not paying for "fake" assets in the first place.

Sumiron
Gerbil In Training

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:02 am

While Dead Maze is a world with a garish color scheme, it doesn’t look half bad. Abandoned neighborhoods and overrun shopping malls have a unique hand-drawn style, but pop in and out of existence due to in-game lag. Buildings, zombies, and occasionally sections of ground cause the frame rate to drop severely when they pop into view. This can be deadly when you’re in combat surrounded by zombies and the game decides to rain, causing the entire environment to reload. When the game freezes, the player is a sitting duck.