Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: Post Your Old Games!

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:03 pm

I have a Plethora of LucasArts stuff (DotT, Sam & Max, Grim Fandango, Dig, etc etc.)

Jane's Longbow.

MicroProse M1 Tank Platoon, which is an early pre-cursor to the Actual U.S. Army tank sim software.

But really the true gems are

Leisure Suit Larry 1 & 2 for Commodore 64/128 AND the TRS-80.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:55 pm

This thread made it to page 2 and no one mentioned Starflight 1 and 2? I'm sad.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

madtronik
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:00 am

idchafee wrote:

Add Starglider also.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:39 am

Just found out a few days ago thanks to ARSTECHNICA that this was an actual PC release that somehow managed to escape my notice for over 20 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_in_Maui_Mallard

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:37 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Just found out a few days ago thanks to ARSTECHNICA that this was an actual PC release that somehow managed to escape my notice for over 20 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_in_Maui_Mallard

:o

How did that not get a North American release? The Genesis/MegaDrive Disney games were excellent (according to my 25-year old memories, of course), and sold very well.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 am

idchafee wrote:

My older brother used to have the original 720K floppies back in the day and the code wheel for the copy protection.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

oliv88
Gerbil

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:25 am

I was going through cleaning up my drawer. Found Metal Gear Solid sadly do not have the PS2 working anymore. I wish it did. What an amazing game it was.

albertohurst
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:15 am

Wasteland 2 and Age of empires were some of the games that i used to play a lot.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:43 am

oliv88 wrote:
I was going through cleaning up my drawer. Found Metal Gear Solid sadly do not have the PS2 working anymore. I wish it did. What an amazing game it was.

You can still pick up a cheap PS3 and buy the whole HD collection plus MGS4 and MGS Phantom Pain. Relive the glory of Metal Gear!

parodon
Gerbil

Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:39 am

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith from 1998 was amazing :-)
Oh and back in the day I used to love demo of Diablo 1 - 2 levels with warrior I played for hours (restarting)

dwayne22
Gerbil

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:21 am

Metal Gear and All Nintendo Games Were Awesome, Still Playing few of them.
A Tech Geek

Chimecho
Gerbil In Training

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:56 am

Tekken 3, Fallout 2, X-COM: UFO Defense and Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:20 am

Tie Fighter, Myst, Age of Empires (1), and Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego. I also have fond memories of sitting and playing Deer Hunter and Turkey Hunter which by today's gamins standards have probably aged the worst. I am going to have to dig through the family's old Gateway cd envelope to have a real walk down memory lane.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

crazyjediman24
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:13 am

I just re-purchased (still have the disc) Rogue Squadron from GoG, solely for ease of install. I am excited to play it again after all this time!
It is not who I am on the inside, but what I do, that defines me.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 pm

I was at Mega Replay tonight and didn't even plan to buy anything, but I couldn't help myself. They had a model 1 Sega Genesis with the "High Definition Graphics" band around the dome. That's the earliest model of the system, and for a while there, they were going for quite a pretty penny on eBay (complete ones with AC adapter, composite video cable, and controller still go for like $60 or so...they were up around double that). I only ever owned a Genesis model 2, which was the smaller all-black unit with no headphone jack. So I picked it up. It's dirty for sure, and needs to be disassembled and have all the nooks and crannies scrubbed, but I dig it. Also grabbed a copy of Street FIghter 2 Special Championship Edition and Sonic 2 while I was there. I play games off of a Mega Everdrive most of the time but those games are special to me.

Audio works great, and it's definitely different than my early-revision model 2. Those model 2's had a SoC-style processor that had the Motorola 68000, Z80, and Yamaha sound chip all integrated into one. This one has discrete chips and supposedly more premium audio preamp. I'm running from the headphone jack to my TV and it's definitely got a more pronounced low-pass filter.

https://imgur.com/a/c97p79b
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:16 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I was at Mega Replay tonight and didn't even plan to buy anything, but I couldn't help myself. They had a model 1 Sega Genesis with the "High Definition Graphics" band around the dome.

Oh, that right there takes me back. My cousin had one of those, and we played a ton of Sonic, Golden Axe 2, Shinobi and more on that machine. Great device.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I was at Mega Replay tonight and didn't even plan to buy anything, but I couldn't help myself. They had a model 1 Sega Genesis with the "High Definition Graphics" band around the dome.

Oh, that right there takes me back. My cousin had one of those, and we played a ton of Sonic, Golden Axe 2, Shinobi and more on that machine. Great device.

It's the only gaming platform aged at least 20 years where I have any sort of nostalgia that goes beyond rose-colored glasses. The Dreamcast turns 20 (in the USA) next year and then I'll have to revise that statement. The model 2 Genesis is what I had in high school, but a friend of mine growing up had the model 1 and I remember seeing the "high definition graphics" text and thinking "whoa this is state of the art". In 1990, it was, as far as home video game consoles went. It couldn't rival graphics of advanced PCs of the time (Links 386 and Wolfenstein 3D were amazing, for example) but it also cost like 1/10 of those things.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:15 am

Lets see now. I used to spend hours with these on the old 80386 back in the late 80's.

Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Their_Finest_Hour_(video_game)
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Weapons_of_the_Luftwaffe
A-10 Tank killer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-10_Tank_Killer

Fast Forward to the late 90's some one gave me an old Celeron system and I picked up PC gaming again with the original Diablo and StarCraft. Then came Baldur's Gate, Age of Empires, Command and conquer, Half Life, Quake, and Star Wars Dark Forces.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 am

I still have a very special place in my heart for A10. Keyboard overlays ftw!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:34 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I was at Mega Replay tonight and didn't even plan to buy anything, but I couldn't help myself. They had a model 1 Sega Genesis with the "High Definition Graphics" band around the dome. That's the earliest model of the system, and for a while there, they were going for quite a pretty penny on eBay (complete ones with AC adapter, composite video cable, and controller still go for like $60 or so...they were up around double that). I only ever owned a Genesis model 2, which was the smaller all-black unit with no headphone jack. So I picked it up. It's dirty for sure, and needs to be disassembled and have all the nooks and crannies scrubbed, but I dig it.

Did the disassembly and cleanup on this thing on Saturday evening (what an exciting life I lead). The disassembly revealed that this particular unit is fresh from 1989 - the VA2 revision was the first one available in North America. It's much cleaner, too, and looks half-way decent.

Some oxidation on the RF shielding inside the unit, but the board itself looked good aside from a few dust bunnies. I don't see any capacitors that are bulging or leaking at all. Teardown pictures are in this AtariAge post.

I made a boo-boo when I tore it down, though. I didn't apparently either disconnect the LED properly or I put it back together wrong, because now the dome light doesn't come on when I power on the system. So I feel a little dumb there. But it powers on and I got all the residue and gunk off of the shell. Aside from some scratches on the reflective sections of the plastic, it's about as good as new.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:21 am

Oldest games I have:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioForge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_(video_game)

Man, those were the days. Esp the latter one was played to death by me and my friend, at the end we managed suicide complete runs at the highest speed in 45mins or so, :D
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:28 am

Ifalna wrote:
Oldest games I have:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioForge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_(video_game)

Man, those were the days. Esp the latter one was played to death by me and my friend, at the end we managed suicide complete runs at the highest speed in 45mins or so, :D

That reminds of Raptor, Call of the Shadows.

drobber
Gerbil

Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:07 am

Please, advise me of a fallout 76 account sell. Many people advise buying games only on official resources and to save money and wait for the sale of official games - they take place often enough so that the wait does not take too long. But I somehow can't find such sales, so the best option would be to buy an account.

drobber
Gerbil

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:31 pm

I have heard nothing about the resource you are talking about. But I can recommend you another site - https://polski-sloty.com/book-of-ra-6/. I have been using it quite often and I have no complains. I am not ready to risk my money without knowing anything about online slot. But here you can read the review and learn the game in a demo version. It works fine for me, I got a lot of information here.