Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Battletech game coming out

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

It was a kickstarter which I wasn't aware of and didn't back. Does look interesting to me so I put it in my Steam wishlist. I just never have enough time to finish all the games. Some people are concerned about the usual "unfinished game released now to be patched later."

I played Battletech back in the day with my brother and friend, and we had so much fun. This looks like it's trying to capture that tabletop experience. I guess multiplayer is not fully supported yet, from what I read (which is ok with me).

The RockPaperShotgun reviews look promising.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Battletech game coming out

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:02 pm

I backed it way back in 2015. It's a bout freakin time it comes out.

I love tabletop Battletech. I spent hours and hours with the Drawing Board program just designing stuff. I also really dug the MechCommander games.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Yeah I backed it back then during the kickstarter also. Looking forward to it coming out, and getting to have some giant mechs blowing each other up.

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Yep, I'm backer too and ready to lead my squad to doo..., er, VICTORY. Also looking forward to new Mechwarrior RPG coming out maybe end of this year.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Neutronbeam wrote:
Yep, I'm backer too and ready to lead my squad to doo..., er, VICTORY. Also looking forward to new Mechwarrior RPG coming out maybe end of this year.

Ditto. It's a good year for the BT universe.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

GrimDanfango
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm so excited by it that against all my better judgement I'm considering pre-ordering the thing at full price... something I haven't done since preordering Max Payne 3 and playing precisely 30 minutes of it and vowing never to be such an idiot ever again.

Someone refresh my memory why I shouldn't preorder anything, even if the thought of it alone is making me feel like I'm 15 years old again sitting on the bus home reading the crisp, fat manual of the shiny new big-box game I just bought in town :-P

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:02 pm

I bought two copies from the kickstarter, so I'm not going to dissuade you from pre-ordering.

odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:46 am

I sometimes purchase games early...sometimes I purchase them in 2014 and then wait until 2017 to play them. For me it's a question of wanting to fund development to help get a better product at the end.

If pre-ordering whatever this game is won't help fund development then you're taking risk with zero potential payoff. Best not to.

BTW what game is this? I don't think I've heard of it.

GrimDanfango
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:22 pm

odizzido wrote:
I sometimes purchase games early...sometimes I purchase them in 2014 and then wait until 2017 to play them. For me it's a question of wanting to fund development to help get a better product at the end.

If pre-ordering whatever this game is won't help fund development then you're taking risk with zero potential payoff. Best not to.

BTW what game is this? I don't think I've heard of it.

Jordan Weissmann, the originator of the Battletech universe and tabletop game, and Shadowrun tabletop RPG, who also had a hand in the early Mechwarrior games, is heading up development of a Battletech turn-based tactical game at Harebrained Schemes (makers of the recent successful Shadowrun games)... seems to be a blend of the original tabletop game, and influences from the modern XCom games (except a bit more complex and nuanced). Combined with a pretty deep story and fiction and open game world where you can choose your contracts, manage your finances and salvage to keep your mechs maintained between missions.

Basically... every Battletech fan's dream come true :-P

odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:30 pm

ohhhh the game itself is called battletech. Cool, I will need to keep an eye on it :)

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:38 pm

There are games I've played more of since those days, but there are no games I hold as dearly as Mechwarrior 4 and it's expansions. Microsoft's cancellation of Mechwarrior 5 to focus more on the Xbox games left me devastated. I never really got into the Battletech universe or the board games except for a few books, but any new Battletech or Mechwarrior content is good for either series. I'm really hoping the new game coming out this fall is good. I didn't enjoy Mechwarrior Online so hopefully this is better.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:23 pm

I played around with the beta a little bit, but haven't had time lately to really go all in on it. It has potential, but the movement system is a bit goofy for the uninitiated. The name is kind of a big tipoff: they're trying to adapt the old school tabletop game, not make another Mechwarrior or MechCommander. Whether it succeeds will probably depend a lot on how much of the atmosphere and lore they manage to get into the game itself. The beta was limited to a single skirmish match so I can't comment on whether they'll hit the mark, but Harebrained's previous games have been really good at what they do so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Unless the reviews are overwhelmingly bad, I will likely get it when it comes out or soon thereafter.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 am

I'm enjoying it so far. I found it difficult at first, and had to replay a mission 1 or 2 times in each case to get a feel for it. It seems like once you get some gear it gets easier.

I think some of the mechs they "stole" from Robotech, which were some of my favorites, are no longer present. What's Battletech without Archers and such? Stupid Harmony Gold which doesn't know how to make money but knows how to produce lawsuits. Reading online, seems like the rights to the "Unseen" Mechs are murky.

Looking further - seems some "Unseen" Mechs such as the Warhammer and Marauder are present, but others like the Rifleman and Archer are not. (Maybe they will mod in additional Mechs).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 02, 2018 8:28 am

Here's the complete list that I could find. No Timber Wolf/Mad Cat, so that's a disappointment. It's just my favorite design ever is all. :lol:

Raven is coming post-release.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleTech_(Video_Game)#Featured_BattleMechs

LIGHT
Locust
Commando
Spider
Firestarter
Jenner
Panther
UrbanMech

MEDIUM
Cicada
Blackjack
Vindicator
Centurion
Enforcer
Hunchback
Trebuchet
Griffin
Kintaro
Shadow Hawk
Wolverine

HEAVY
Dragon
Quickdraw
Catapult
JagerMech
Thunderbolt
Cataphract
Grasshopper
Black Knight
Orion

ASSAULT
Awesome
Victor
Zeus
BattleMaster
Stalker
Highlander
Banshee
King Crab
Atlas

POST-RELEASE
Raven
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2018 9:04 am

I like the Battlemaster. So far, I only have parts for heavy 'Mechs. Haven't tangled with any Assault 'Mechs yet *shudder*.

I like the weapons concept where some are slightly better than others. But then I go back to my veteran save scummer habits when I lose that PPC++ from one of my 'Mechs. :lol:

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 02, 2018 9:32 am

I've really been enjoying it. Never played the table top game but LOVED MW3, 4 and MC1 & 2.

There are little issues to the game, like long loading times, but I can live with that. I echo the sentiment as well, I wish there was the MadCat, TImberWolf, Loki and Vulture in here, I loved those.

A very solid game overall. I'm very happy with my purchase.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 02, 2018 10:01 am

I'm hooked. The campaign is far more entertaining than I expected and the combat is exactly the mix of "this is going grea....OH ****" that I hoped for. :)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed May 02, 2018 10:19 am

I’m finding the game to be somewhat challenging. Sending my lance of three medium mechs and one light one against double the number of medium+heavies ends up with too many mechs and pilots out of commission for the next mission.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

wingless
Gerbil XP

Wed May 02, 2018 10:33 am

This is a solid Battletech game. Yes, it is difficult so you have to constantly look at stats like evasion, use of the terrain, etc. This is potentially more fun to me than MechCommander from back in the day.
Intel Core i7 2600K | 16GB DDR3-2133 | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | Silverstone 750W | ASUS Strix GTX 980 OC | ASUS Xonar DSX/S.M.S.L. M2 USB DAC | Samsung 840 Pro | A bunch of HDDs and a lot of TBs.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 02, 2018 10:57 am

wingless wrote:
This is potentially more fun to me than MechCommander from back in the day.

I really liked Mech Commander, but I always felt like I was spinning out of control in that game. That's at least partly because of its RTS roots. It's not like economy-based RTS like C&C or StarCraft, so you can't just build more units. Lose a Mech, and it's lost. Here I feel like I can better see it coming and jump-jet my injured units to safety.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2018 11:05 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I’m finding the game to be somewhat challenging. Sending my lance of three medium mechs and one light one against double the number of medium+heavies ends up with too many mechs and pilots out of commission for the next mission.

Agree. I'm not the person who needs to win on uber difficulty. I think it has gotten a little easier as pilots improve their skills, you get improved weapons, and better 'Mechs.

I loved the Spider I had at the beginning in my lance but 2 medium lasers just didn't cut it. Now I have 45, 50, 50, 55 in the lance and looking to go bigger if possible. When you one-shot a light mech in a barrage it's pretty fun.

If there is an insanely bad result like ammo blowout from one missile that costs you an arm and a torso, I just reload. I still have times when pilots took concussions and I'm killing time between missions.

Also the difficulty of the missions is questionable. I took a 1.5 difficulty "milk run" to destroy a lance. Was able to handle that but they got reinforced by 4 more. I was only given partial money for withdrawing after destroying the first lance. My 'Mechs all had internal damage so there would have been severe losses if I had fought to the end.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 02, 2018 12:58 pm

The game certainly is challenging and I love it for it.

First starting was probably the most challenging as you have no money and I really had to pare down my expenses. I maxed out the cash on the mission negotiation at the start till I got to a good cash balance.

I raged on one mission early in my campaign where my lance was made up of mostly 35T light mechs (and 1 medium mech) and I headshot'd a 60T Catapault (so I got all 3 Salvage mech parts) but I had only negotiated 2 picked pieces of salvage...and the random assignment didn't include the third piece. Yeah, I was pretty mad. But such is the game, I do love the balance between cash and salvage. Really makes for an interesting dynamic. Sometimes you max the salvage and just get crap.

The actual combat is challenging, but I find that all the other aspects outside of direct combat make the game challenging. The randomness of the missions is great as well. You have to remember that the mission difficulty is based on the "best Intel available", so the randomness adds to the challenge as well.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Wed May 02, 2018 1:19 pm

When I was a teenager I played way too much tabletop BT. Then when Mechwarrior 2 game out I got my first 3d accelerator to play it with all the bells and whistles. My college self paid a lot of money to get that...saved for ages. Now this...a couple of friends have been talking about it all week. Today one of them gifted me a copy...as a surprise lol I can't wait to get home tonight to try it! From everything that I can see it's pretty awesome and the more I read the more excited I'm getting.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed May 02, 2018 6:50 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
I headshot'd a 60T Catapault (so I got all 3 Salvage mech parts) but I had only negotiated 2 picked pieces of salvage...and the random assignment didn't include the third piece.
I’m slightly annoyed at my engineer who will instantly assemble a fully-working mech from three matching scrap parts, but who can’t cobble together something when I give him five parts spread across three different variants of the same mech. I also wish that the game would allow me to save and load mech configurations that I like.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 02, 2018 8:17 pm

I just rage-quit because my dropship came to pick me up after a contract, landed on all 3 of my mechs, and totally destroyed them. All 3 pilots are injured for 110 days. What a stupid bug. :lol:

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 02, 2018 10:20 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I just rage-quit because my dropship came to pick me up after a contract, landed on all 3 of my mechs, and totally destroyed them. All 3 pilots are injured for 110 days. What a stupid bug. :lol:

Not a bug - there's a big red exclusion zone you shouldn't put your Mechs into...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 03, 2018 6:23 am

Ohhhhhhhh...whoops.

YellaChicken
Gerbil

Thu May 03, 2018 7:34 am

I wish there was the MadCat, TImberWolf, Loki and Vulture in here, I loved those.

They're all Clan mechs, from a different time period in Battletech lore. They wouldn't fit with the story (and I hate them, Inner Sphere til I die 8) ).

I'm totally addicted to this game at the moment too.
Love that there's new interest in Battletech games at the moment. Hope it keeps momentum.

Haven't scored my 1st Heavy or Assault in the campaign yet. I've collected parts for the Grasshopper, Orion and Dragon so far but haven't got a 3rd part for any of them yet. Love that you have to cobble together the salvage this way though, it's a simple enough idea not to keep you in the mech lab half your life but still means you have something to work at to increase your stable.
Disclaimer: All you read in the above post is either entirely incorrect or an incredibly lucky guess.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 03, 2018 10:05 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Ohhhhhhhh...whoops.

So I replayed it and now I get it. All the hexes where you'll get squashed have red outlines. I'm such a dolt. :lol: