Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Battletech game coming out

Thu May 24, 2018 2:29 pm

I'm 3 missions from the end of the campaign so now I'm just mopping up contracts and getting as many configs optimized as best I can. I'm having a lot of fun with a BattleMaster with 7 (or 8?) medium lasers and 7 small lasers. The alpha strikes are hilarious.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Waco wrote:
I'm 3 missions from the end of the campaign so now I'm just mopping up contracts and getting as many configs optimized as best I can. I'm having a lot of fun with a BattleMaster with 7 (or 8?) medium lasers and 7 small lasers. The alpha strikes are hilarious.

Interesting...I didn't use small lasers at all as I was appalled by their range. Do you jump in close and then blaze away?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Small lasers are also hilarious because they fire automatically after you’ve made a melee attack.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Machine guns (not auto cannons) and small lasers are great if you've got a mech with a ton of armor that does a lot of melee fighting. They're just bonus damage on top of your melee attack. Punch, MG, small laser. I've one-shotted a few smaller mechs using a Dragon with a bunch of small-range weaponry. I haven't done it since I got larger mechs, since now many of the opponents are larger too.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 pm

Neutronbeam wrote:
Anybody else have a bug where the mechs all turn a solid pink-purple? That's happened twice on desert maps.

Yep, I've had it happen a few times now (as recent as yesterday). I just play through the mission, everything is back to normal once you get to the ending screen, it has no bearing on the actual game. Or you can re-load the level and that'll fix the issue. Annoying, but it happens very randomly for me.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 24, 2018 6:13 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Sargent Duck wrote:
I'm at the last mission in the story mode and have $32,000,000 C-bills. I guess I have enough to get the 2nd Mech Bay in the Argo...
I've completed Liberation: Tyrlon and Coromodir is on my contract list. I have only 5 million C-bills, but my Argo has every single upgrade possible except Med Bay 3 and the Hospital Bay. The cost of these two upgrades would exceed my available funds, even without the monthly bills coming in.

I'm a stingy bastard. I only played through with 5 Mech Pilots and 4 Mech's at any one time. The bare minimum for upgrades (still only 1 Mech bay, base med lab) although I have most of the morale boosters (except the library 2. $8500/month???).
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Waco wrote:

Interesting...I didn't use small lasers at all as I was appalled by their range. Do you jump in close and then blaze away?

I max out the armor and tend to sprint in as fast as I can go. The small lasers don't get used a whole lot, but if you find yourself in close quarters, you have the option of a crazy punch + laser hell or a slightly longer range ML + SL punch that lets you stay a little more at range.

It's hilarious to knock down a 90 ton mech in one shot at the leg, then blast the other before they can even get up. The salvage with this combo is great because the extra shots that miss tend not to destroy anything crucial.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu May 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
I'm a stingy bastard. I only played through with 5 Mech Pilots and 4 Mech's at any one time. The bare minimum for upgrades...
In my evaluation, the second mech bay, the beta pod and the associated upgrades were worthwhile. I needed additional mech space to have mechs under repair while I was taking a fresh lance on additional contracts in the same system. I'd let Yang get caught up on his repair backlog while taking a travel contract to a new system. I didn't really need the 3rd mech bay nor the things that you can get with the gamma pod. To get your company up to the maximum of 50 morale, you can either pay better wages, buy some of the upgrades for the ship, or choose wisely/fortunately when random leadership challenges arise. I'm expecting there to be a Steam achievement for fully-upgrading the Argo, but I haven't done it yet.

Sargent Duck wrote:
Neutronbeam wrote:
Anybody else have a bug where the mechs all turn a solid pink-purple?
Yep, I've had it happen a few times now (as recent as yesterday).
This sounds like a texturing problem. Somewhere between your hard-drive and your graphics card's memory, something got garbled.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 24, 2018 11:10 pm

I just finished the game recently. Pretty much every mech I had at any point during the game, I loaded up with medium lasers and SRMs, and enough heat sinks to almost always be able to fire everything at once. Maximum armor. Sometimes, when there was some extra weight or a hardpoint I didn't know what to do with, I threw on an AC/5.

With those medium lasers and SRMs, I can't attack from far away. But I just sprint in and do massive damage once I close. And with max armor, my units could always absorb a few potshots from LRMs and ACs.

By the time the game ended, I had a lance of 4 King Crabs, each loaded with 4 medium lasers, 4 SRM-6s, maximum armor, maximum jump jets, and enough heat sinks to be able to jump around and fire all the weapons at once.

Oh yeah, and enough morale and called shot mastery to be able to do targeted shots to the center torso with 86% chance to hit. If you're the enemy and you get 4 medium lasers and 4 SRM-6s to the center torso, you're going to have a bad time. So 4 King Crabs **jump** in, and each one takes a called shot to the center torso that does about 400 damage total.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I'm expecting there to be a Steam achievement for fully-upgrading the Argo...
Negative. There is no achievement for having a fully pimped-out ship. :-?

gigafinger
Gerbil

Fri May 25, 2018 7:09 am

mikewinddale wrote:
I just finished the game recently. Pretty much every mech I had at any point during the game, I loaded up with medium lasers and SRMs, and enough heat sinks to almost always be able to fire everything at once. Maximum armor. Sometimes, when there was some extra weight or a hardpoint I didn't know what to do with, I threw on an AC/5.

With those medium lasers and SRMs, I can't attack from far away. But I just sprint in and do massive damage once I close. And with max armor, my units could always absorb a few potshots from LRMs and ACs.

By the time the game ended, I had a lance of 4 King Crabs, each loaded with 4 medium lasers, 4 SRM-6s, maximum armor, maximum jump jets, and enough heat sinks to be able to jump around and fire all the weapons at once.

Oh yeah, and enough morale and called shot mastery to be able to do targeted shots to the center torso with 86% chance to hit. If you're the enemy and you get 4 medium lasers and 4 SRM-6s to the center torso, you're going to have a bad time. So 4 King Crabs **jump** in, and each one takes a called shot to the center torso that does about 400 damage total.

That's pretty much the strategy I use. I don't have King Crabs yet, so I've been using Grasshoppers with max armor, max jump jets, 6 medium lasers, and max machine guns. I try to take one ranged shot before engaging in melee for the heat-less attack. It's very mobile and hits very hard.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 26, 2018 10:33 am

mikewinddale wrote:

I had been farming like crazy to try and find King Crabs and best I could do was 2. But 2 highlanders rounded my lance out.

I had both King crabs with full frontal armor, 1 AC20+++ (120dmg) and 4 SRM6 ++/+++ (10 or 12 damage per missile) each. I'd be able to 1-shot up to a 90ton Mech's legs and when going against an Atlas, get down to the internal armor, then have my Highlanders finish the leg off. If, on the off chance I run out of morale and can't finish the Altas leg, My highlanders also have SM6 ++/+++ so I'll just hit the Atlas where ever with the missiles and still get a knock down.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat May 26, 2018 12:35 pm

Here's the full list of Steam achievements:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/205058 ... hievements

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat May 26, 2018 1:20 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Won a skirmish match with three Commandos vs an AI Atlas (Secret)

This seems like a bit of a challenge...

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun May 27, 2018 1:05 pm

That ought to be doable by engaging the fatlas beyond visual range with sensor lock, and pelting it with lurms or PPC. I tried doing it with Locusts just now for the lulz, but goofed up a few turns in and lost one of the Locusts. Should have made a run for the high ground! It was going to take a while though.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:47 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

Won a skirmish match with three Commandos vs an AI Atlas (Secret)

This seems like a bit of a challenge...

But there's also the opposite. Beat four Commandos with a single Atlas. I think that can be done.

Who all has finished the campaign? I'm 48 hours (according to Steam) in and just finished the Liberation: Itrom mission. Around 10 hours of that was wasted by events I've covered previously in this thread, so pushing close to 40 hours for the campaign so far. Having too much fun with side missions to progress in the story. I'm up close to 20M space buxx this time through. Running with one Highlander and three Orions that all pack a punch. Finished that spoiler'd mission without even coming close to losing one of the objectives and none of the mechs took internal damage.

Serious GotY material, in my opinion.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 am

I like it but once I had my assault mech lance and maxed out skills team, I feel untouchable. And now the game is kinda boring. I would be interested in further DLC in the future though.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:48 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I like it but once I had my assault mech lance and maxed out skills team, I feel untouchable. And now the game is kinda boring. I would be interested in further DLC in the future though.

I feel like the story missions are WAY easier than the side missions. I'm frequently up against seven and eight mechs in a side mission, all coming at me at once if I'm not very careful about where I walk.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:04 am

I agree, Hawkwing. I am now able to drop a 400-ton lance. Rather than eagerly looking for better mechs to salvage, I'm actually hoping for some of the smaller ones to show up so that I can finish my "Complete Roster" collection. I now regret selling off some of those inferior mechs that didn't suit my playing style. I may end up having to collect them on a new campaign (or figure out which worlds will sell the mechs that are missing from my collection).

Among the assault mechs, The 100T Atlas II, 100T King Crab, 90T Highlander, 85T Stalker and 80T Awesome can't get any faster than 3 movement pips, even with their maximum of 3 jump jets installed. The 80T Zeus can get to 4 movement pips. The 80T Victor, 85T Battlemaster and 95T Banshee can be equipped to have 5 movement pips.

I haven't found a fast-moving (well, for an assault mech) 4-jump jet Banshee configuration that works as well as my 4-jump jet Battlemaster covered with MLasers does. The closest I've come is a BNC-3M with 2 MLasers, 5 SLasers and upgrades for devastating melee attacks. Each Jump Jet (A) for a 90 to 100 ton mech takes up twice as much mass as the Jump Jet (H) used for 60 to 85 ton mechs.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:02 am

I'm up for the final mission. If I complete it, do I get to go back and do side quests afterwards, or is my guy done?

Vigil80
Gerbil

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:42 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I'm up for the final mission. If I complete it, do I get to go back and do side quests afterwards, or is my guy done?

From what I understand, you can continue to take contacts and previously unaccessible areas of the star map open up.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:06 pm

You may continue to take on mercenary contracts anywhere.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:38 pm

cool. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to come back to it. I just really like the combat, so it's nice to know I'll have that available still.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Well that was just super. Loved the final mission. Really enjoy the game mechanics. Still floating around the galaxy and taking contracts. Hopefully I can keep my head above water without the steady stream of contracts from the main story. Can't wait to play a lot more of this.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:05 pm

I'm thoroughly enjoying every part of this game. I did do the mods to increase movement animation speeds and to remove all of the "action cam" stuff. It's WAY better that way, IMO.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:15 pm

You can set the frequency of the "action cam stuff" in the game's settings - under "Gameplay", you have sliders for follow cam, attack cam and cinematic cam.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:19 pm

Yep - I turned all of them off as best I could. I removed the delays for sound actions as well (there are multi-second delays for...reasons?). Doubling the movement speed makes it feel a lot like playing the tabletop game again...but prettier. :)

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:51 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Well that was just super. Loved the final mission. Really enjoy the game mechanics. Still floating around the galaxy and taking contracts. Hopefully I can keep my head above water without the steady stream of contracts from the main story. Can't wait to play a lot more of this.

I haven't been having any major financial problems since getting the Argo, before which having several of my few mechs and mechwarriors out of commission for nearly a month was a serious issue. I do see potential pitfalls though. Each mech and mechwarrior has a monthly fee--potentially a substantial one, especially for high level mechwarriors--so I only keep a handful of active mechs and less than 8 mechwarriors on hand. Spare mechs in storage don't cost anything, though assembling them again will take time. Also be sure to sell surplus mechs that get put together from salvage--getting an extra 500k C-bills every couple of missions is kind of a big deal.

Also keep in mind that you're Inner Sphere, not Clan. Ensuring that your lance substantially outclasses the other side and picks off the easy targets first with hilarious precision alphaganks isn't a shameful breach of sacred honor, it's just good business.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:06 am

NovusBogus wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Also keep in mind that you're Inner Sphere, not Clan. Ensuring that your lance substantially outclasses the other side and picks off the easy targets first with hilarious precision alphaganks isn't a shameful breach of sacred honor, it's just good business.

I'm dropping a full 400 tons now (2 King Crabs and 2 Atlases) and this is exactly how we do it. :lol:

The game went from moderately dangerous to kiddie play over the course of like 3 side missions as I got the rest of the mech parts I needed to jump from 375 to 400.

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 am

I am still playing the game completely, totally wrong (and loving it)...but will change that soon--
    No main campaign yet, only side missions
    Only have medium and light mechs
    Using negative morale--don't get buffs but have never lost a mission--not one
    $50+ million C-bills ready for upgrades in the main campaign
    4 pilots with skills maxed out and my 1 backup pilot at all 8s
    Big bunch of + and ++ weapons available
    Nice collection of medium and lights in storage
    Mercenary Review board rating of four stars+

I think as soon as I hit $55 million C-bills OR my backup pilot hits 9 on Guts I will feel comfortable starting the main campaign.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech