Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: Battletech game coming out

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:13 am

Wow. You're still using the Leopard? That's pretty insane.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Neutronbeam
Gold subscriber
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:23 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Wow. You're still using the Leopard? That's pretty insane.

Yes. Crazy like a fo; er, yeah, it's just plain whacko nuts. But between my stats, cash, gear and detailed knowledge of a lot of maps I think I will be ready for the main story. Also, it has been an exercise in patience--and I'm not a patient guy.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

Waco
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 am

You're going to roflstomp the main campaign. Enjoy it!

I'm on my second playthrough, trying to stay more to character this time (my wife created the background for my new commander). Lots of punching and melee focused builds, reckless abandon for safety, and a damn fun time.
Desktop: Z170A | 6700K @ 4.4 | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID 0
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 pm

I started another campaign last week. As discussed earlier, you really want to do the story through Weldry to get the Argo. Stepping aside from the story with Liberation: Smithon on the mission list, I switched to full-on mercenary mode throughout the Concordiat, even pulling off challenging missions on Taurus itself. After several dozen missions, with six Mechwarriors now at maximum eliteness and seven heavy mechs in the bay, I have yet to see a mech over 75 tons except 2/3 partial salvage in the store (which I didn’t purchase because I don’t like the BNC-3M).
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

e1jones
Gerbil

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:08 pm

I'm about 6 years in with what I think is 2 story missions left.

Up until the 'escape Nautilus' mission and the little present they gave me, I'd seen exactly 2 assault mechs. One was a Banshee which I slapped around enough to salvage all 3 pieces in one mission and a Victor which I only got one piece. And ironically, I still don't use either even though they're both in the mech bay. The first Atlas I dropped only yielded one part; the 2nd I bombed from distance and managed to finish a complete one. I really need to find a source for better mech opponents :(

And even at this point, I've never seen a King Crab, exactly one Stalker, and not really a lot of assault mechs, relatively speaking.

But its stupidly fun :p
Gigabyte Ultra Gaming Z270 - i5 7600 - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 - GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1060 6GB - Crucial BX100 500G

Waco
Gold subscriber

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:50 pm

I seem to be perpetually unable to make headshots on the enemy. I hit from higher elevation, bonus accuracy weapons, called shot master/bonus, etc. It just doesn't happen. I even save-scummed when trying to get an Orion in one shot and I gave up after about 15 save reloads. WTF am I doing wrong?
Desktop: Z170A | 6700K @ 4.4 | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID 0
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

e1jones
Gerbil

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Waco wrote:
WTF am I doing wrong?

It just seems to be one of those things.... stupid tiny percentage on the location, plus all the other modifiers. I get them every now and then, completely at random (don't get me wrong... when they happen I enjoy it!). Then again I've given up trying to make a called shot there... better to nuke a torso usually.

Hah... and literally my next mission after saying I'd never seen a King Crab, the 'Local Government' reinforcements tried to run one out at me. It got some long range shots with the LRM & LL off, but the one round of AC shots barely chipped the paint on my bunkered up Atlas. In the mean time i ripped it's legs off. mmmm.... yummy crab legs. Well, except my Highlander x-commed a gauss rifle shot into the torso and that was enough to keep me from salvaging the thing whole. Still, 2/3 of a KC (in one mission) doesn't suck ~
Gigabyte Ultra Gaming Z270 - i5 7600 - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 - GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1060 6GB - Crucial BX100 500G

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:46 am

Same. You're better off just focusing down the center torso. Headshots are basically impossible, even when it says "18%".
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:06 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Same. You're better off just focusing down the center torso. Headshots are basically impossible, even when it says "18%".

I think that's what bugs me. 18% should be 18% should be 18%. Not some magic math that I can't see. :/

I've started just coring out mechs from behind if I don't have enough morale/firepower to take out the legs.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:13 am

Well, it's supposed to be rare, because it's rare in the tabletop game. Your chances are better of hitting with at least one if you are firing a lot of weapons or if you're firing missiles. Missiles on the tabletop game are kind of AoE (where the area is the target mech). Fire 3 LRM 15s and you've got 9 different chances at landing a single headshot because LRMs do damage in groups of 5. Fire 3 SRM 6s and you have the same 9 chances since SRM groups are a pair of missiles.

No idea if ANY of that translates to the PC game, though.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm not opposed to them being rare - but if the percentage isn't 18%, don't show me 18%. Missiles, from what I understand it, are individually tracked, but only one missile per launcher can ever hit the head - so you have more chances based on both number of missiles *and* number of launchers. 4 LRM5s have the same chance for the first headshot as an LRM20, but you have the potential for up to 4 hits with the quad LRM5s versus effectively one with the LRM20.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Ugh. Every time I get into a detail about how this game works it's so very different from the tabletop. Doesn't stop it from being fun, just kind of like "Everything you know is wrong". I've been doing headshots with big missile carriers thinking I was going to do more damage than that. In reality it sounds like I'm better off doing it with the King Crab that has two AC-20s.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Yep. I had to forget all I remembered when playing tabletop to learn this. The rules are a little odd.

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:00 am

Note that you don't necessarily have to destroy the head to take out the pilot, you can also do it from repeated pilot injuries too. For example, my active mechs include a Grasshopper with MGs and melee stability mods and various SRM splat lords, which together offer a foolproof if rather cheesy way of taking down a whole mech once its friends have been dealt with. Orkhopper goes in for the melee, doing significant stability damage and the subsequent torrent of MOAR DAKKA is likely to strike the head at least once, -1 pilot health. SRM boat then delivers a 12-16 SRM called shot to the head which has a good chance of another head hit, -1 pilot health. At this point the stability damage is usually enough to cause a knockdown, -1 pilot health. Everyone then pours MG, SRM, LRM, etc. on the downed mech's head, -1 or -2 pilot health which should be the end of it. If it gets up again, just blow off a leg for another knockdown and -1 pilot health, followed by more called shot missile spam.

If you want to actually kill stuff fast, then yes AC/ML/SRM spray is the way to go. A Stalker or King Crab CT called shot can obliterate most things with a single salvo. The game in its current form hates long range weapons due to the limited visibility and preponderance of jump jets.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:46 pm

I wouldn't even use jump jets if it wasn't for the extra walking distance they give you. Another thing that's totally weird about this game.

I don't want to come off like I'm totally disgusted with the game. It's exceptionally fun and really great. Easily my top game of 2018 so far, and it'll take a heck of a title to knock it off the pedestal. And it even feels like Battletech for the most part. It's just kinda...weird.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Yeah - it's scratching that Battletech itch (and I love it! I'm in 63 hours of gameplay so far...) but some of the rules / interface decisions are just odd.

I honestly don't dislike any of the mechanics, it's just how some of them are kinda hand-wavy and lie to you that bothers me (especially headshot percentages).

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:23 am

That's something cool the Bioware titles like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale did really well - they'd show every roll and every piece of math that went into each attempted strike. I'd love an option to see that in this game.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 am

There are mods to fix most of the annoying things, thankfully. I bit the bullet and started a modded campaign yesterday and it's a lot better with a couple simple mods for line of sight, targeting percentages (just to show what the actual calculation is), sprint melee, and camera controls.

Sargent Duck
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:39 am

Having beat the main story and having 1 Atlas II and 3 King Crabs, I'm now hunting around for those "+++" weapons. I've got a good chunk outfitted on my Mech's already, but I won't be satisfied till ALL my weapons are +++. Then world domination shall truly be within my grasp! Mwhahahahahahahaha.
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered

Neutronbeam
Gold subscriber
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:09 am

Just started the main campaign and got my first failed mission--I made the mistake of taking on a two-and-a-half Atlas skull mission with four 55t mediums...and was up against 2 Cicadas, an Enforcer, a Griffin, a Spyder, a Blackjack and...it might have been another Griffin; head is still fuzzy from taking too many AC rounds. Now trying to acquire heavies...I have 1/3 Dragon, 1/eCataphract, 1/3 Thunderbolt and 1/3 Jaegermech and plenty of money but haven't seen anything for sale.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:16 pm

I like the Shadowhawk H and the Wolverine K for 55-ton mechs. Orion, Grasshopper and Thunderbolt are good heavy mechs for my playing style.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

e1jones
Gerbil

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:50 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I like the Shadowhawk H and the Wolverine K for 55-ton mechs. Orion, Grasshopper and Thunderbolt are good heavy mechs for my playing style.

Never used the Shadowhawk or Wolverine really, or Grasshopper. They didn't really fit my usual PPC + LRMs weapons mix, especially when the Griffin was right there too.

But for a large part of the mid-campaign grind my tank was an Orion and my missile boat was (and still often is) another Orion (3 LRM-15!). And a TBolt (mix of a 5SE & 5SS) was and still often is my 'spotter'. Though the spotter has been taking a Highlander 733p out lately... the extra armor is nice but sometimes I miss the extra movement.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:37 pm

A Grasshopper with max jump jets, max armor, MLasers and MGs is my spotter/lure with a sentinel or vanguard piloting.

druidcent

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:27 pm

I'm playing around with a Grasshopper fully loaded with ML's and Flamers to disable mechs.. Works amazingly well on hot worlds. I don't fear the Hunchback's AC/20 if I can get in with the Grasshopper first.. :)

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Big patch dropped, including some extra "mods" for added difficulty. Also a fix for how long it takes the save game list to load, which was growing way too long as the list gets upwards of 100+ saves all without any user intervention. It was getting silly.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... d.1106661/

Lethality - when enabled, MechWarriors that are disabled in combat will always be killed.
'Mech Destruction - when enabled, 'Mechs disabled from Center Torso destruction are permanently lost. This setting is intended for veterans and those seeking a significant challenge.
No Rare Salvage - when enabled, + and ++ items are no longer generated as salvage results (but remain purchasable in stores).
MechWarrior Progression - adjust the amount of experience that MechWarriors gain after each mission.
Advanced MechWarriors - increase or decrease the frequency of more powerful MechWarriors appearing in Hiring Halls in later parts of the game.
Enemy Force Strength - increase or decrease the baseline strength of the enemy forces you'll face in procedural contracts.
Contract Payment - increase or decrease the amount of C-Bills paid by procedural contracts across the game.
Salvage - increase or decrease the amount of salvage you may obtain from negotiation on procedural contracts.

And then some other weird modifiers that limit the game in other ways.

Ironman Mode. Your campaign is limited to a single save game slot that automatically updates as you progress. Run out of funds or fail a Priority Mission and it's game over!
Unequipped 'Mechs - enable this to make 'Mechs completed out of 'Mech parts start empty instead of with a stock loadout.
Parts for 'Mech Assembly - increase the number of 'Mech parts that must be salvaged to assemble a new 'Mech. This setting is intended for veterans and those seeking a significant challenge.

There are also things in there to speed up combat, which is welcome.

Thinking about starting over and messing around with some of this.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Of course this drops right after I added a few mods and started a new campaign. I guess I'll see how much it breaks it. :P

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:30 am

Man, I forgot how bad a shot everybody is when they're not maxed out on 10 gunnery.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:50 pm

It feels as if some modifications to heat generation and accuracy happened by default. My MLaser-heavy builds went from 7/10 heat efficiency to 6/10 all on their own.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:46 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
It feels as if some modifications to heat generation and accuracy happened by default. My MLaser-heavy builds went from 7/10 heat efficiency to 6/10 all on their own.

They definitely nerfed ML builds a bit - something like 20% more heat generation for MLs. They detail all the weapon changes in the release notes.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am

Ugh, the feeling of having to bail on an escort mission because one of the trucks gets stuck and doesn't even try to turn around and move back onto the road... :oops:

I do like that mech stability was improved over all. It's harder to knock down opponents, sure, but it sucked when it happened to you.