Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

albertohurst
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Re: Suggest Games with 4K graphics

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:24 am

Hello
You can go for this many game which will fit your requirement.
PUBG
GTA V
Rainbow Six Siege
Overwatch
Forza
Rocket League

RuiFig
Silver subscriber
Gerbil

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:40 am

Doom (2016) is really good, and looks amazing at 4k.
A proper homage to DOOM 1 and 2, if you enjoyed those.
Code Monkey at Cloudgine Ltd. Personal blog on coding: http://www.crazygaze.com

dwayne22
Gerbil

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 am

My Favourite list of 4k is this

GTA 5
Doom
Overwatch
Forza Motorsports
A Tech Geek

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:52 pm

The first I tried on 4K was "Mad Max" by WB Entertainment Games. Good visuals and a fun diversion for a little while until the game play gets repetitive. Mostly positive reviews on Steam. Basically a lot of driving to hunt for macguffins and brawling. I still like to bring it up every once in a while to drive my death machine around and blow other cars up.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Martin the Kiteboy
Gerbil

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Any of the new Wolfenstein games. I suggest playing them in order (The New Order, the Old Blood, New Colossus)

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:30 pm

...just about every game made these days?
Canon 6D|24-105/4L |70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|50/1.4 USM|50/2.5 CM|50/1.8 STM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8|24/2.8 IS|Sigma 150-600 | C
Canon EOS-M|11-22 IS|22/2|EF-M 18-55

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:18 pm

I don't follow the question. (Not this thread specifically, the question just seems to come up a lot.) Just about anything will look better if you throw more pixels at it, and just about nothing actually needs those pixels for anything. There mostly aren't big technical limitations related to 4K at this point unless you like to run with all settings maxed out. Resolutions are freely adjustable, square-of-pixel-count render costs are rare, and textures sized with 4K use in mind are the norm. What makes one game a better fit for it than another, then?

My own vote would be either games that have a lot of visual complexity related to the mechanics and need all the help they can get presenting it to the player (these are rare for obvious reasons) or games in which being able to resolve fine or faraway detail is an advantage (PvP games with very large worlds, probably - Planetside, Rust?). Games trying to represent particularly fine detail for aesthetic reasons would fit the bill, but fine detail usually doesn't make the aesthetics. Based on what gets recommended, I'm clearly not coming at this from the same angle as everyone else, though.

As for stuff recommended here that I've got any experience with:

GTA V: This one makes sense, assuming settings are cranked up far enough that it's rendering detail at great distances. What I've seen of it wasn't even close to doing that, but that was on a console, so the PC version on sufficiently high settings might yet do the trick.

Forza: Racing games are an odd edge case where the "fine detail for aesthetic reasons" thing really matters, IMO.

Rocket League: I don't follow. Completely lost on this one.

DOOM: Just as lost here. I tried it at way too many mixes of resolutions and settings on a 1440p monitor, and there was surprisingly little fine detail to be seen at 1440p. I'm usually picky about sticking to native res and can't stand TAAs for their blur, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything playing DOOM at 720p with TSSAA and a bit more film grain / sharpening than necessary (still pretty low on their scale). Basically, settings designed to completely obliterate and then fake back in fine detail weren't a problem because there wasn't much of anything (useful?) there to obliterate in the first place. (I also played it with motion blur on high in an unsuccessful attempt to cover up an animation hitch that drove me nuts, FWIW.)

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:53 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
I don't follow the question. (Not this thread specifically, the question just seems to come up a lot.) Just about anything will look better if you throw more pixels at it, and just about nothing actually needs those pixels for anything. There mostly aren't big technical limitations related to 4K at this point unless you like to run with all settings maxed out. Resolutions are freely adjustable, square-of-pixel-count render costs are rare, and textures sized with 4K use in mind are the norm. What makes one game a better fit for it than another, then?

There are games where the textures are so small that higher resolutions do nothing but smear them (Max Payne, for example, which is extreme), but other games may have large enough textures or other features that you'll see additional detail you wouldn't have otherwise in high-res. Maybe that's the question?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:55 pm

Were it just that, we should be here all day listing half the games released in the last 5 years. :-?

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:21 pm

I don't either, because "game with 4k graphics" to me is any game running in 4k. Pong in 4k has 4k graphics. :p

As for reasons to run at higher resolutions, it tends to stand out more if the game has higher detail character models that you see up close or a lot of architecture.

(I still suspect this thread was made to advertise his TV brand, but whatever.)
Meow.

lois
Gerbil In Training

Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:41 pm

GTA 5
Doom

Waco
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:32 pm

Definitely not Kingdom Come: Deliverance, unless you have an uber rig. I get 18-25 FPS on my desktop with details turned down as much as I can stand (medium on some things, high on others). I had to resort to 1920x1080 to be able to handle combat reasonably.

It's a pretty game, but goddamn, it requires some real hardware to run at high res.
Desktop: Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.4 | 16 GB | Radeon VII | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 2048 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:59 am

Among modern games IMO F1 2018 wins this list by virtue of actually being playable at 4k.

elcoldtown
Gerbil In Training

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:27 pm

If you play on Xbox One X, it's sometimes nice to see some indies in 4K. Like Thumper and GRIDD: Retroenhanced—all ultraneon and light. Or remasters of older games, like Okami HD. To me, it makes a larger difference than photorealistic AAA games.

tu2thepoo
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:51 pm

May be a bit unusual, but Battletech and XCOM2 look really good in 4k. XCOM2, in particular, looks really impressive once you load the map packs and custom soldier skins from the Steam Workshop. I average 60+ FPS in battletech with my geforce 1080, but XCOM2 can be anywhere from 20-60fps - it seems to be much more CPU/RAM bound than most games of its generation (I think it's unreal engine 4 with a bunch of stuff bolted on).

Gris is a pretty game no matter what, but in 4k it looks like a literal painting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxLK832tf58