Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Blizzard + GoG = Diablo 1 re-release

Tue May 28, 2019 7:45 am

Finally got around to picking up Diablo late last evening.....and then subsequently ended up playing it for much longer than I should have.

At it's core, It's still very fun (obviously). The graphical quality is as-expected (maybe even slightly better than; with the adjustments), but something about the in-game framerate strikes me as "off". It seems to be internally locked at 30fps (or maybe even lower), which I don't previously remember being an issue. The tedium of dealing with the UI also wears on you a bit, but as expected.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Tue May 28, 2019 11:03 am

The Egg wrote:
Finally got around to picking up Diablo late last evening.....and then subsequently ended up playing it for much longer than I should have.

At it's core, It's still very fun (obviously). The graphical quality is as-expected (maybe even slightly better than; with the adjustments), but something about the in-game framerate strikes me as "off". It seems to be internally locked at 30fps (or maybe even lower), which I don't previously remember being an issue. The tedium of dealing with the UI also wears on you a bit, but as expected.

Diablo 1 has always been locked at 30FPS. You just got spoiled rotten by faster framerate and gameplay found in Diablo 2 and 3. ;) Remember that Diablo 1 was designed for a 486 or equivalent as a baseline with some sort of SVGA card with VESA support.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

techguy
Gerbil XP

Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 am

Krogoth wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Diablo 1 has always been locked at 30FPS. You just got spoiled rotten by faster framerate and gameplay found in Diablo 2 and 3. ;) Remember that Diablo 1 was designed for a 486 or equivalent as a baseline with some sort of SVGA card with VESA support.

Diablo 2 is locked at 25FPS internally (i.e. tick rate), though the graphics engine will display more frames if your machine is fast enough.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 28, 2019 11:42 am

Krogoth wrote:
The Egg wrote:

I dunno....I gave all of that full consideration, and even after my eyes had adjusted to the graphical downgrade and a good couple hours of playing, it still didn't seem right. It's possible that the old CRTs were doing something to smooth-over the issue and make it less noticeable, but my seat-of-the-pants impression was that the implementation wasn't quite right, or I needed to tweak a setting somewhere.

I'm also running 144hz on the desktop, so maybe it has something to do with the rate not dividing evenly into it, and/or I need to mess around a bit more.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Tue May 28, 2019 11:49 am

Diablo 1 plays, looks and feel on my current system like it was during its heyday. I'm not sure if my adaptive sync is a factor though.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B