Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Console/Portable Gaming Over The Years

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:30 pm

An interesting look at console/portable sales over time.

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2019/04/ ... wsource=cl
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Console/Portable Gaming Over The Years

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:59 am

Interesting read - thanks Cap'n.

Particularly interesting is the point they make about the Xbox line not being all that popular worldwide - and the accompanying dominance of Playstation 4 the last few years.

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:04 am

Xbox has never been big outside of North America. It always had an uphill against Nintendo and Sony even when the 360 was a strong contender against the PS3 which itself was hampered by a half-baked launch cycle.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:58 pm

The Japanese typically don't purchase consoles made in other countries. As for Europe and the rest of the world......it probably just comes down to Microsoft completely bungling something, because they're a bunch of morons who can't stop tripping over their own shoelaces.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:29 pm

The PC World podcast was talking about consoles in their last episode. Pretty interesting how the launch price can drastically affect sales of the console over its entire life.

PS3 for example was famously expensive at $100 to $200 over the Xbox 360 and despite being technically superior to its counterpart lagged behind it in sales. The numbers have turned around now, but that's mostly because the Xbox 360 never gained traction in Japan apart from certain communities (360 is the tournament standard for fighting games). Restricted to North American sales though the 360 has a commanding lead over PS3, selling 49 million vs 29 million units.

PS4 turned this around and launched $100 cheaper than the Xbox One, and up to now it has a huge lead over XBone. The PS4 has sold over 90 million, compared to the XBone's 40+ million.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:36 pm

The relative failure of the XBone has been really great for me. I was able to pick one up for $200 during the great crypto-induced PC hardware pricing fiasco. Additionally, Microsoft has provided more value with them allowing EA Access on their platform unlike Sony. Since I joined the hardware generation late (2017), I was able to pick up almost all of my games used for $5 or less. Also, the backward compatible library on XBox is pretty expansive and has allowed me to enjoy several 360 generation games (I owned a PS3 during that generation).
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:50 pm

jihadjoe wrote:
The PC World podcast was talking about consoles in their last episode. Pretty interesting how the launch price can drastically affect sales of the console over its entire life.

PS3 for example was famously expensive at $100 to $200 over the Xbox 360 and despite being technically superior to its counterpart lagged behind it in sales. The numbers have turned around now, but that's mostly because the Xbox 360 never gained traction in Japan apart from certain communities (360 is the tournament standard for fighting games). Restricted to North American sales though the 360 has a commanding lead over PS3, selling 49 million vs 29 million units.

PS4 turned this around and launched $100 cheaper than the Xbox One, and up to now it has a huge lead over XBone. The PS4 has sold over 90 million, compared to the XBone's 40+ million.

PS3 was not only plagued by steep launch price for a gaming console. It had a poor library of titles at launch and it almost took two years for it finally got solid exclusives. PS3 was the sacrificial lamb in Sony's bid to win the format war in the mid-2000s against HD-DVD.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:00 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
The relative failure of the XBone has been really great for me. I was able to pick one up for $200 during the great crypto-induced PC hardware pricing fiasco. Additionally, Microsoft has provided more value with them allowing EA Access on their platform unlike Sony. Since I joined the hardware generation late (2017), I was able to pick up almost all of my games used for $5 or less. Also, the backward compatible library on XBox is pretty expansive and has allowed me to enjoy several 360 generation games (I owned a PS3 during that generation).

Xbox One poor uptake is mostly attributed to being Microsoft's pitch of making it a HTPC (their latest attempt at seizing the living room) that did gaming on the side, while the PS4 was a gaming console at heart with the ability to handle multimedia needs on the side with no illusions to take over the living room.

IMO, I think Microsoft end-up misreading some of the 360's success to its uptake in the HTPC community in being a cost-effective and easy-to-manage HTPC solution with some modding in its heyday.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:15 pm

Krogoth wrote:
jihadjoe wrote:

PS3 was not only plagued by steep launch price for a gaming console. It had a poor library of titles at launch and it almost took two years for it finally got solid exclusives. PS3 was the sacrificial lamb in Sony's bid to win the format war in the mid-2000s against HD-DVD.

I have to imagine that some of the technical decisions that they made with the PS3 also led to problems. The PS3 was supposedly very difficult to optimize games for. This led to a lot of games running poorly on it compared to the 360 during the early days.

The decision to include a PS2 inside of it (Emotion Engine) probably drove up the cost and added complexity. I liked the backwards compatibility, but Microsoft's software solution with XBox One showed a wiser way to do that.

Finally, while the Blu-Ray player showed its value when later games were multi-disc on 360, it was ahead of its time on the PS3. Truth be told, Blu-Ray has never really caught on. Most stores stock Blu-Ray and DVD, showing that many people have simply skipped Blu-Ray on their path to digital distribution. The added cost of Blu-Ray was probably not worth it in the end. I'm not sure if other aspects of Sony's business benefited from the PS3's push on the technology though.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

LostCat

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:52 pm

The fortunate thing about the Xbox One launch is it got them to get rid of the Xbox guys making the bad decisions. Everything has been solid since.

Xbox One X is awesome. Xbox Game Pass is awesome. That they're actually supporting PC again is awesome. The third party studios they bought recently are awesome.

They're impressing the hell out of me right now.
Meow.

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:52 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:

Kind of ironic given that heavy-handed DRM was one of the things that crippled the XBone's initial launch. Sony's marketing outfit landed some major body blows over that one.

Pharad
Gerbil In Training

Fri May 03, 2019 1:01 am

How do you guys feel about the likes of Google Stadia and Apple Arcade? Do you think they are within a chance of somewhat replacing the modern gaming platforms that we have right now? I've read a couple of articles on both Apple Arcade (https://www.eneba.com/blog/apple-arcade ... ive-games/) and Stadia (https://www.eneba.com/blog/google-stadi ... of-gaming/) and they do look pretty promising.

LostCat

Fri May 03, 2019 2:05 am

Pharad wrote:
How do you guys feel about the likes of Google Stadia and Apple Arcade? Do you think they are within a chance of somewhat replacing the modern gaming platforms that we have right now? I've read a couple of articles on both Apple Arcade (https://www.eneba.com/blog/apple-arcade ... ive-games/) and Stadia (https://www.eneba.com/blog/google-stadi ... of-gaming/) and they do look pretty promising.

xCloud was announced before either and also has exclusive games.

I feel that the entire discussion is a really big waste of time until there's actually something in front of endusers.
Meow.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 am

Pharad wrote:

Apple Arcade is mildly interesting; moreso if they do something with a controller, because I don't care much for touchscreen games. Google can bite me. By the time you get the device home and plug it into your TV, they'll have already cancelled the project.

Waco
Gold subscriber

Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 am

Google is definitely hurting their consumer confidence by cancelling things just as people really start to engage in their products.
Desktop: Z170A | 6700K @ 4.4 | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB NVME + 2 TB SATA + LSI (128x8) RAID 0
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

LostCat

Fri May 03, 2019 10:31 am

The Egg wrote:
Apple Arcade is mildly interesting; moreso if they do something with a controller, because I don't care much for touchscreen games. Google can bite me. By the time you get the device home and plug it into your TV, they'll have already cancelled the project.

I figure it'll be like Google Wifi. Fantastic, but initially glitchy and weird.

I'm leaning towards xCloud mainly because I love MS' first party titles...we'll see what the other guys bring to the table when they're out.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri May 03, 2019 11:23 am

Captain Ned wrote:
https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2019/04/09/40-years-console-wars-nintendo-playstation-xbox/?jwsource=cl

I don't understand the visualization. Why do numbers go down as the console goes off the chart? Did it retroactively sell fewer units? It would make much more sense if it didn't animate, and consoles just disappeared when they were discontinued, or something similar. It's insane how wildly popular and ubiquitous the Wii was, yet it still only amassed 2/3 of the sales of the PS2.

The PS2, incidentally, was my first DVD player, and I bought it for that as much as I did for games. I have a feeling that's true for a lot of people. The image quality of DVD represented such a leap over VHS that it's not hard to see why it was a system seller. Blu-Ray could have done something similar for the PS3 but the price was a big deterrent. $300 in 2000 was $350 in 2006 dollars. Meanwhile the PS3 was $500 for the cheaper 20 GB model with no Wi-Fi and $600 for the full-fat 60 GB version. If the PS3 had launched in any version for $350, Blu Ray would have had a much better go of it.

Any streaming service (which means Stadia) is unable to beat a real console experience due to latency. I don't expect Stadia to do any better than PlayStation Now or OnLive, and Google will shutter it faster than you can say "stream".
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat

Fri May 03, 2019 12:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Any streaming service (which means Stadia) is unable to beat a real console experience due to latency. I don't expect Stadia to do any better than PlayStation Now or OnLive, and Google will shutter it faster than you can say "stream".

They have the benefit of not requiring local hardware though...not a problem for Nintendo, MS, and Sony but Google...heh. Would most likely be a far better experience for the Xbox One/X1S/ogPS4/Switch also for people who have capable internet. Obviously for mobile devices and lower end laptops as well.

Plus, Playstation Now isn't backed by a company that makes a ton of money off their cloud services. I'm sure it works, but they haven't seemed to do much with it since its' inception.

I know plenty of people who don't go for the latest and greatest hardware that would get a huge benefit. There's probably more like that than not really, especially with so many people living paycheck to paycheck.
Meow.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri May 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Waco wrote:
Google is definitely hurting their consumer confidence by cancelling things just as people really start to engage in their products.

~162 counting, RIP.

The hilarious thing is that there are actually multiple people tracking this now:

https://killedbygoogle.com/
https://gcemetery.co/
https://www.wordstream.com/articles/ret ... e-projects

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 04, 2019 12:32 pm

We were talking about that at work the other day. Chromium and its forks rule the browser world, but what happens if/when Google decides to take its ball and go home? Since our team consists of a bunch of diehard Linux enthusiasts and a former Silverlight developer, Microsoft's recent involvement led to about as much gallows humor as reassurance.

Pharad
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 20, 2019 2:12 am

Don't want to inspire any conspiracy theories, but I think these guys https://www.eneba.com/blog/microsoft-an ... aboration/ are joining so Stadia wouldn't kick their both asses off. :D any opinions? I think, even if that's not the main reason why this collab is actually happening, it's certainly amongst the top 3.

LostCat

Mon May 20, 2019 10:47 am

Pharad wrote:
Don't want to inspire any conspiracy theories, but I think these guys https://www.eneba.com/blog/microsoft-an ... aboration/ are joining so Stadia wouldn't kick their both asses off. :D any opinions? I think, even if that's not the main reason why this collab is actually happening, it's certainly amongst the top 3.

It's interesting to see. Sony does what they do well, but none of the rest of their business has anything to do with cloud services last I checked.

Stadia kicking their asses, though, is practically a conspiracy theory in itself with xCloud coming and Sony could potentially upgrade PS Now as well.
Meow.