Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Blizzcon 2019 (Games Discussion)

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:51 am

Hey y'all. I know a bunch of you are probably anti-Blizzard right now (see Waco's thread on the Back Porch), but we expect some major announcements from Blizzard, so here's a thread for discussing the gaming content from the show. Let's hope they minimize the PR missteps like the woefully underbaked Diablo Immortal announcement.

Expected Announcements

World of Warcraft Expansion (Shadowlands?)

Diablo 4

Overwatch 2

And probably more content for stuff already announced, like the Warcraft III remaster.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Blizzcon 2019 (Games Discussion)

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:32 pm

I'm actually looking forward to the drama at Blizzcon this year. :)
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

superjawes
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:26 pm

superjawes wrote:
Expected Announcements

World of Warcraft Expansion (Shadowlands?)

Diablo 4

Overwatch 2

And probably more content for stuff already announced, like the Warcraft III remaster.

Confirmed everything, more or less. Shadowlands is, indeed, the new WoW xpac, D4 is on the way (no ETA, though), and Overwatch 2 is a weird sequel? Basically, it IS a sequel, but players of the original get to come along for the ride. Could a nice format.

Waco wrote:
I'm actually looking forward to the drama at Blizzcon this year. :)

I figured, and I also figured your thread would be the best place to extend that discussion. After all, there were a couple bits of news on that front. Game-wise, I haven't seen any clear misses so far. D4 has a demo on-hand (with the return of the druid), and even Heroes of the Storm got some love.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:57 pm

It is Blizzard is resurrecting more assets and mechanics from the scraped "Titan" project as Overwatch 2. They are trying to rub off some of HoTS and SC2's Co-Op campaigns.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:24 am

Sorry for a mostly meaningless gripe, but I wanted to get this off my chest...after 15 years, Blizzard are "finally" adding more ethnically diverse human options. While I think this is a good thing, isn't that a missed opportunity? With the introduction of Allied Races, Blizzard could have turned this diversity into isolated kingdoms/clans. That would have given them a lore reason for the 15-year delay, but it would also offer unique perks, VO, and animation to round everything out.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:18 am

superjawes wrote:
Sorry for a mostly meaningless gripe, but I wanted to get this off my chest...after 15 years, Blizzard are "finally" adding more ethnically diverse human options. While I think this is a good thing, isn't that a missed opportunity?

Seriously that is a thing with people? I am HAPA and never once did I feel upset for not having an "Asian looking character to play". And it's not like I base my gaming selections on the fact that my ethnicity is or is not represented. To be quite honest if that's a thing that makes people upset well you think too highly of yourselves.....snowflakes.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

superjawes
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:51 am

tanker27 wrote:
superjawes wrote:
Sorry for a mostly meaningless gripe, but I wanted to get this off my chest...after 15 years, Blizzard are "finally" adding more ethnically diverse human options. While I think this is a good thing, isn't that a missed opportunity?

Seriously that is a thing with people? I am HAPA and never once did I feel upset for not having an "Asian looking character to play". And it's not like I base my gaming selections on the fact that my ethnicity is or is not represented. To be quite honest if that's a thing that makes people upset well you think too highly of yourselves.....snowflakes.

I don't see anyone making a mountain out of this (on either "side"). My only gripe is that they it's just going to be a patch when Blizzard could have written it in as lore. It's basically taking an old limitation/oversight and turning into a feature to create a deeper story. Heck, they're giving a lore reason for the Shadowlands level squish (basically a "training mission" for new recruits).

And if you want a more cynical approach, it could be a way to sell race changes from the original human to the allied race version, which is just money in Blizzard's pocket. It's a missed opportunity is all I'm saying.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:23 am

Sure they could have written it into Lore but it would be really weird at this point. The current races ARE ethnic.

As for a system limitation, yeah I can accept that. The WOW engine is old. But its far from oversight.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!