Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Steam's Autumn Sale banner unplayable?

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:27 am

Looks like a nice retro game (view at 1:1 for proper rendering, or the source before it's gone):

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Steam's Autumn Sale banner unplayable?

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:34 am

Picked up Life is strange before the storm, Portal 2, HL:Source and HL:Blueshift.

defaultluser
Gerbil

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:01 am

I've been waiting pr years for HalfLife 1 to be "free." Because way back in the day, Vivendi made two copies of EVERY key, and Valve only allowed one copy to be linked to Steam. If course the other guy beat me to it.

For some strange reason, HL1 wasn't included with The Orange Box. I wasn't going to pay full price for a game I bought back in 1998, but I guess rebirthing the dead franchise might be time for them to do it!

Igor_Kavinski

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:17 am

I was in a similar situation with Portal 2. I got the PS3 version due to the free Steam key in it. But then I forgot to claim it and then Valve took down the page that linked the PS3 account with Steam and the key became useless. Maybe you can get HL:Source. It's a better version of HL1 and it's pretty cheap now. You can play it with all the settings cranked up along with max AA and AF and maybe even Reshade for extra eye candy.

defaultluser
Gerbil

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Nahh, I've been playing Black Mesa, and it's just not the same. Give me the original, because Black Mesa's marines can hit you with serious damage from an MP5 from across the room. I'm BORED with the new hotness

And I hate the look ,of Hakflife:Source, as the water effects just look too outlandish next to those old textures.

Also, I was surprised o hear they've been updating the original game (it now supports widescreen resolutions, and they've updated the in-game menu to the style used by HL2.

Igor_Kavinski

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 am

defaultluser wrote:
Also, I was surprised o hear they've been updating the original game (it now supports widescreen resolutions, and they've updated the in-game menu to the style used by HL2.

Then pick it up for about a dollar now. It's not gonna get any cheaper and Valve isn't gonna make it free. They know too much about economy to consider giving things away for free. Even if they sell just 100,000 copies of HL1 in the current sale, that's still $100K of "free" money that they won't mind stuffing in their coffers.