Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Xbox series X

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:21 am

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... s-analysis

That form factor is just kinda lazy, don't you think?

Hey, this nexgen cpu/gpu is heating up too much! What do we do? Make it a PC and market it like it's the best thing since buttered toast! Unless Sony follows suit, there's gonna be a lot of jokes from PS fanboys about the fat xbox.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Xbox series X

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:38 am

Aww, c'mon... it's an Xbox... and it's a box... with an X on it. Very punny! I give 'em points for that.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of these are gonna get trashed by people (and their kids) dropping/spilling stuff in through the top vents.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:04 am

Soooo we go from XBone to XboxEks?

Personally I like the Xbox UI/ecosystem more than Playstaions. But I find the PS to be "better" overall.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:11 am

I'm surprised it's not abbreviated "Xbox SeX" yet.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

superjawes

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:56 pm

xBoXsErIeSx
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Waco wrote:
Would that be the Xbox XXX ?
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:09 am

xbsx

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:51 am

Waco wrote:

Why not just "SexBox"?

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:58 am

SexBox is probably trademarked. A Special Edition...SE-XboX...might skirt the legal issues.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:16 am

They should change the name altogether. Xbox has always been harder to pronounce than PS4 or PS5. Funbox is easier to pronounce.Other contenders are Ubox and Zbox. Might have to buy out Zotac for that last one. Or make a deal with them to give them free Windows licenses forever.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:33 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
They should change the name altogether. Xbox has always been harder to pronounce than PS4 or PS5. Funbox is easier to pronounce.Other contenders are Ubox and Zbox. Might have to buy out Zotac for that last one. Or make a deal with them to give them free Windows licenses forever.

Funbox is lame and would be mocked mercilessly.

Given the aesthetic of this version, maybe they should just call it BoxBox. Or Box2. :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:43 pm

We're angry about the shape of a box, which can lay horizontally, is just totally plain black, and won't look completely out of place under a TV. You're supposed to look at the TV, not the console.

Personally I think it looks fine. This thing will blend into just about any AV rack far better than the concave Xbox 360, the space ship shaped PS3, or any previous system that required top access to change games. Getting upset about a black box is just silly. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:42 am

I'm not angry at all. Just amused. In an "I wonder how much money they paid some high-priced industrial design consultant to come up with this?" sort of way.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:32 pm

I thought it always should have been named Microsoft Gaming System or simply, MGS.

just brew it! wrote:
I'm not angry at all. Just amused. In an "I wonder how much money they paid some high-priced industrial design consultant to come up with this?" sort of way.

They didnt, they just 'borrowed' it from Apple.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:46 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I can definitely imagine the 4 hour meeting where some guy uses every corporate talk jargon to explain why this simple design is the new mind blowing design of the future.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:53 am

XbSX would look pretty sexy in all white.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:11 am

I called it the Monolith.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Gyromancer
Gerbil

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:04 pm

My favorite so far is Xblox. It's similarly simple to Xbone for the Xbox One.
Because people were people, and if there was one thing you could count on, it was that some of them would be weird. Or rather that all of them would be weird when circumstances happened to align with their own individual brand of insanity.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:22 am

https://www.sie.com/corporate/release/2019/191008.html

・ゲームにおいて最大8K解像度出力まで対応

Google Translation:Supports up to 8K resolution output in games

Microsoft needs to step up its game and confirm 8K gameplay or the XbsX is in danger of losing mindshare.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:00 pm

LostCat

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:27 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I can definitely imagine the 4 hour meeting where some guy uses every corporate talk jargon to explain why this simple design is the new mind blowing design of the future.

Four hours where all he said was "It'll be great for the system cooling."?

Sign me up for that meeting, I'll be in the corner playing something or other.
Meow.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:20 am

How come no one in the media is asking any questions about the Xbox series X's SSD endurance specs? It's gonna be TLC if they want to keep costs down so how will they ensure its longevity? Will it be user upgradeable/replaceable or do you send your Xbox in for repairs once the SSD is burned out? I'm guessing Sony will keep its tradition of letting users fiddle with the internal storage as they please.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:26 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
https://blog.purestorage.com/directflash-enabling-software-and-flash-to-speak-directly/

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69440/ps ... index.html

Crazy if consoles beat PCs in raw I/O using software defined flash.

Eh, not really. There are hundreds of products that do this already, but not many vendors are willing to ship software-managed devices to end users (consumer end users, I mean) because the hardware used to drive them is completely responsible for how well (and how stably) the device works.

Also, if you really want your mind blown, look up Fusion IO. This is exactly how their cards functioned...a decade ago. So we beat consoles by a decade if you want to look at it that way. :)

Even QLC will outlast almost all consumer workloads. It's not even an issue with TLC.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:33 am

Waco wrote:
Even QLC will outlast almost all consumer workloads. It's not even an issue with TLC.

Gamers stress their hardware a bit more than the typical consumer. Also, most popular games receive gigabytes of updates on a regular basis. That's not the case with application users since applications are often tiny compared to games. Can you imagine the havoc wreaked on the poor SSD by Microsoft's nextgen cloud based Flight Simulator alone? It might use a sizable portion of the SSD for its game cache files and will repeatedly overwrite it with new data when you fly to different regions/cities.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:42 am

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/statu ... 9669068800

Classy move. I bet their pre-orders just went a little bit higher.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:59 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Gamers stress their hardware a bit more than the typical consumer.

Console gamers all stress their consoles in the exact same way, and within the set bounds of the OEM (just about) exclusively.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Also, most popular games receive gigabytes of updates on a regular basis.

Yes, huge block writes several times a day, typically in an optimized package that isn't contending with other tasks concurrently using the disk.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
That's not the case with application users since applications are often tiny compared to games.

...and I've seen tiny applications go absolutely nuts with logging/temp data. Those developers don't really have any publication and technical requirement hurdles to pass, so it's a lot easier for errant nonsense to occur.

And it does.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Can you imagine the havoc wreaked on the poor SSD by Microsoft's nextgen cloud based Flight Simulator alone? It might use a sizable portion of the SSD for its game cache files and will repeatedly overwrite it with new data when you fly to different regions/cities.

Yes, it will use the SSD.

Like everything else.

If actually using SSDs as storage is abusing them, why are they so popular?

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:05 pm

Glorious wrote:
If actually using SSDs as storage is abusing them, why are they so popular?

My concern is longevity of the console hardware. If your console suddenly goes kaput coz your SSD flash burned out, wouldn't you be pissed? A decent hard drive might last 5 years or even more. An SSD can get burned in almost half that time if it's written to enough. In this respect, SSDs are more "fragile". Are Microsoft and Sony going to limit the number of writes to enhance the life of the console? No one in the mainstream media seems to be asking this question. And I'm almost sure that Microsoft and Sony are not gonna report on the health of the SSD to shield the user from worry.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:10 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
My concern is longevity of the console hardware. If your console suddenly goes kaput coz your SSD flash burned out, wouldn't you be pissed?

The external (mechanical) HD I had my PS4 died a few months ago...

...so I got another one...?

Now, externals are just game installs, not like save data or other such personal progress information. But, honestly, since I have PS Plus and all that staff is in the cloud anyway, I would have almost preferred that it *was* the main drive! That would have been significantly less data! And, since I remove the internal anyway to check when I wasn't sure which drive was responsible for the crashes etc..., that hurdle was already passed (and it's very easy to replace an internal drive on the PS4).

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Yeah, I'm hoping that Sony will allow to replace the SSD. Not sure about Microsoft. But I have my doubts about Sony too. If the SSD is using some special sauce, then an off the shelf NVMe SSD might not work. My worst fear would be having to pay double for a Sony branded SSD or worse, having to send the console in for repairs. That could get very expensive.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
A decent hard drive might last 5 years or even more.

The external, which was mechanical, didn't even last two. (still under warranty! Yesssh!)

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
An SSD can get burned in almost half that time if it's written to enough. In this respect, SSDs are more "fragile". Are Microsoft and Sony going to limit the number of writes to enhance the life of the console?

What if they did? You'd be hard-pressed to reach them.

It's a console. You can't automate it. You'd have to install/uninstall things manually for months and months and months, week after week, day after day, hour after excruciating hour of x and then o and then x and then o....

Remember, if you load from disc the bandwidth is very, very low. If you do it over their network, you are capped by your internet connection, then the physical network interface of the device itself, and ultimately by the ToS of their service, because they're going to wonder why you reinstalled Chu Chu Rocket Remastered three thousand times (or whatever) in a single month.

Odds are you're going to hit some internal sanity check that's going to sandbag you or just suspend you outright.

This isn't a real concern.