Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

mimickson
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

why can’t i ever finish a game?!?!

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:39 pm

It seems like I always start something I love, play it for a while, get pretty close to finishing the campaign, and then finding something else to play. This especially happens with open world games like Grand theft auto, Red Dead Redemption, The Outer Worlds, and Fallout. Stuff like that is so much fun but i can never just... finish them. It could be my ADHD but does anyone else have this same issue???

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Re: why can’t i ever finish a game?!?!

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm

I've probably played Skyrim and Fallout 3 characters from start to ~level 10 about 52 zillion times....
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:59 pm

I have the same issue with open world games. Turns out giving players the freedom to roam around and finish quests in any manner they choose kinda gets boring after a while, not to mention very time-consuming because you are wasting time trying to find something you want to do in the game. Nothing beats a cohesive, linear single player experience in maintaining attention span. Part of the reason could be that the story of open ended games is somewhat weaker compared to their linear counterparts. I have played MGS to MGS4 and MGS:Ground Zeroes and finished them all because their stories were engaging and kept me playing just a little bit more to find out what happens next. Finished Last of Us and Uncharted 4 for the same reasons. But MGS:Phantom Pain? I didn't even start it, because all the cool things about it that I saw in gameplay videos, well, they are nice but if that means that suddenly the gameplay will take what might seem like forever to reach the finish line, consider me out. I have plenty of other games with short enough play times that will give me that mix of sense of elation and closure in a quicker way.

By the way, I have played Virtua Tennis PC gazillions of time. Reason? Irresistible combination of its tight game mechanics and the quick release of endorphins after winning matches in less than half an hour.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:23 pm

I was the same way back when I was more into gaming. Could probably count the games I'd actually finished on the fingers of one hand.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

roncat
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:32 pm

Hey, this section is sponsored by EPICGEAR...

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:40 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I was the same way back when I was more into gaming. Could probably count the games I'd actually finished on the fingers of one hand.

That's very interesting. Hard to imagine you as a gamer. Which games did you finish, if you don't mind me asking?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:42 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

That's very interesting. Hard to imagine you as a gamer. Which games did you finish, if you don't mind me asking?

The original DOOM games. Descent I and II. There may be a few more, but nothing springs immediately to mind. Probably a couple on the original NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis. OK, so maybe the fingers of two hands. But the ones I finished are far, far outnumbered by the ones I didn't.

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:47 pm

What was the last game you played, JBI?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:54 pm

Probably something from the Unreal Tournament or Serious Sam series.

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Probably something from the Unreal Tournament or Serious Sam series.

You don't miss the joy of exploring cool worlds rendered as realistically as possible with available graphics technology and getting lost in the game's wonderful world for hours, totally oblivious to your surroundings? What changed? How does one stop playing games? I'm afraid I never will, unless I become physically unable to play games.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Life got busy, I got other hobbies... and my genre of choice (first-person shooters) requires quick reaction times, which is something I have less of these days.

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Life got busy, I got other hobbies... and my genre of choice (first-person shooters) requires quick reaction times, which is something I have less of these days.

No one cares if you just turn on some cheats and start blasting away with the biggest baddest weapons. Enjoy the scenery. Marvel at the whole thing without any pressure to do it right. Developers recognize that's what a lot of players want so some games like Assassin's Creed have an exploration mode just for this purpose. For those that don't, cheats or trainers can often be found easily. By the way, just because you prefer FPS doesn't mean you won't like other genres. Try the PC demo for Detroit: Become Human. I think you'll like it.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:21 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
I have the same issue with open world games. Turns out giving players the freedom to roam around and finish quests in any manner they choose kinda gets boring after a while, not to mention very time-consuming because you are wasting time trying to find something you want to do in the game.

In my case it's not that I get bored, it's that I decide I want to try another combination of mods... which ends up requiring a new start.
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

Igor_Kavinski

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:37 am

K-L-Waster wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
I have the same issue with open world games. Turns out giving players the freedom to roam around and finish quests in any manner they choose kinda gets boring after a while, not to mention very time-consuming because you are wasting time trying to find something you want to do in the game.

In my case it's not that I get bored, it's that I decide I want to try another combination of mods... which ends up requiring a new start.

That's actually good. You are enjoying the game more by exploring new possibilities within that game world with the help of mods. I need to do that sometime, especially in the games I love. It's a pity we have such short lifespans. In the past 20 years alone, there have been SOOOO many awesome games on so many platforms that it would take multiple lifetimes to enjoy them all. If only the singularity would happen already. Then our consciousness would be plugged into it, playing games and enjoying virtual life for eons, or until doomsday.