Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

bitcat70
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Quiet keyboard and mouse?

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi!
I recently put together a quiet computer. Pretty happy with it. I'd like to add a quiet keyboard for my gaming to it. I recently saw an article describing some new quiet Cherry switches but I can't find it now. In any case can someone recommend a quiet gaming keyboard? Could be tenkeyless and lighted keys would be nice. Is there such a thing as quiet mice?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Quiet keyboard and mouse?

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:59 pm

How quiet do you mean? Mechanicals generally aren't going to be as quiet as standard rubber dome models, but you can reduce the noise by getting non-clicky switches and installing o-rings under the keys.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:19 am

bitcat70 wrote:
Hi!
I recently put together a quiet computer. Pretty happy with it. I'd like to add a quiet keyboard for my gaming to it. I recently saw an article describing some new quiet Cherry switches but I can't find it now. In any case can someone recommend a quiet gaming keyboard? Could be tenkeyless and lighted keys would be nice. Is there such a thing as quiet mice?

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Typist-Che ... B07KB34D2Y

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M330-Si ... B01JPOLKDW

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:04 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
bitcat70 wrote:
Hi!

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Typist-Che ... B07KB34D2Y

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M330-Si ... B01JPOLKDW

What are you smoking, Igor? Even with the o-ring mod Cherry blue switches are NOT what I would call quiet. In fact, the only keyboards that are louder are probably classic IBM Model M or (maybe) Cherry green.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Cherry blue switches (they are my preferred keyboard type). But the OP specifically asked for a QUIET keyboard and mouse!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:15 am

The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I really like Cherry blue switches (they are my preferred keyboard type). But the OP specifically asked for a QUIET keyboard and mouse!

My bad. This is the link I should have posted: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=4295

On that page, there is an option for Cherry MX Silent Red.

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:48 am

To be totally honest, I loved Microsoft's X4 keyboard, in part because it was so quiet. There was a muffled sort of sound when typing. When I changed jobs, the keyboard stayed... and I belatedly found out Microsoft discontinued them. The ROCCAT Horde is on my radar as a potential successor. I tried Logitech's G213 on sale, but truly loathed it and had to eat an expensive return (Newegg). In googling duckduckgoing later, I guess I dislike are "full height" keys. The ROCCAT Horde is noted as mid-height.

I have yet to spend time with any modern mechanical, so I cannot speak to that realm. If you are considering the mechanical route, be forewarned the vast majority are not quiet, some of these sound clips may be of interest. They were referred to in TechPowerUp's review of the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard.

Roccat is also on my radar should my Logitech MX500-style mouse ever need replacing in a decade or so. But there seems to be lots of good mice options these days. For a specific mention, if I had to make an immediate buy for a single monitor setup, it would probably be the ROCCAT Kone. That said, no idea how loud the clicking may or may not be.

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:36 am

bitcat70, what keyboard and mouse did you end up getting? Just curious.

PranavG
Gerbil In Training

Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:31 am

Thank you! I wanted to have a quiet setup because I hurt my brain with the clicking noises. I will never understand why my friend love clicking so much he literally bought a keyboard that looks, feels, and acts like a typewriter!
MrPranavGandhi :lol: