Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Can the Xb1 be remotely controlled by a malicious party?

Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:26 pm

The weirdest thing just happened. I came back from getting dinner. Entered my room. Everything was as I left it. Suddenly, I hear this faint music. I strain my ears to pinpoint where it's coming from. My headphones connected to my Xb1 controller! The TV is off like I left it. Xb1 was left running as I normally do. I turn on the TV and there's an Indian movie song running in full screen on the Youtube app! I don't use that app and I sure as hell don't listen to Indian songs. What the heck was that? Any explanation? I'm terribly perplexed. No one can enter my room other than me.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Can the Xb1 be remotely controlled by a malicious party?

Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:29 pm

Have you eliminated ghosts as a potential cause?

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Glorious wrote:
Have you eliminated ghosts as a potential cause?

I would love to know how you go about doing that.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:24 pm

Sorry, I'll tell the government to knock it off.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:58 pm

You have just swapped places with an alternate version of you from a parallel universe where you actually like Indian music.

The other you is equally puzzled, trying to figure out why his Bollywood YouTube playlist has disappeared.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Ha ha. Very funny, guys. So far, I'm disappointed in all of you. Seriously, is it possible to access the Xb1 through a wireless connection if the other person does not have my Xb1 account password? Does the Xb1 implicitly trust all devices on the same wireless connection and allows remote connection? I live in a shared apartment. The guys next door could be the culprits. But I need to know how they could access my Xb1. Is there some setting that is turned on by default in the Xb1 settings that allows something like this to happen? I previously had a Sony X900E TV that one of these smart asses connected to coz it had some wireless feature turned on. They found it through bluetooth or WiFi (i dont remember exactly) and then started running the apps on the TV. I went into the TV settings and turned it off. I think it was called something like screensharing or casting or whatever. Please help me figure this out.

Redocbew

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:20 pm

If that's true, then you better start contacting the physics people at whatever university is near you. If it's possible to swap playlists with an alternative universe, then that's going to rewrite a number of theories on the fundamental nature of reality. The Everettian's would want to know.

This is not a sign of malcontents who seemingly at random picked you for their shenanigans. It's a doorway to greatness, and it's been left wide open!
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:41 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
So far, I'm disappointed in all of you. Seriously, is it possible to access the Xb1 through a wireless connection if the other person does not have my Xb1 account password?

Aww, we're hurt.

And no. Change your password if it's something stupid.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:31 am

Waco wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
So far, I'm disappointed in all of you. Seriously, is it possible to access the Xb1 through a wireless connection if the other person does not have my Xb1 account password?

Aww, we're hurt.

And no. Change your password if it's something stupid.

It's a secure 21 character alphanumeric password with special characters.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:34 am

Maybe someone is breaking into your apartment and using your system while you are out...?

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
Maybe someone is breaking into your apartment and using your system while you are out...?

Not possible. I was gone out less than 30 minutes and I came back twice to put some groceries quickly at the entrance of my room and locked the room and went out again. 15 minutes later I was back. The only other key is with the apartment owner who is a 58 year old guy. Even if he came into my room (which he has no reason to), he wouldn't know what to do with an Xbox controller. This was definitely someone accessing the system over the wireless connection through some kind of screen sharing setting that is turned on by default and doesn't require a password by default. I need to know which setting that might be.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:31 am

While some gerbils might find it amusing to fuel your paranoid conspiracy theories, this event was probably not a case of demonic possession.

If your device supports casting and has it enabled, then other devices (smartphones, tablets and PCs) on the same WiFi / ethernet network can cast streaming video to it (such as playing a YouTube video). Besides your XBox, this is a feature supported by most smart TVs, DVRs, streaming boxes, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzJvfJlSseU
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ing-playto
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... -xbox-one/
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3013055 ... ur-tv.html

This is a handy feature when you have a video on your phone that you want to share with other people in the room, but it is possible to start casting accidentally if you tap the wrong spot on the screen.

Short answer: Your XBox is probably secure. Your local area network may not be.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:43 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
This is a handy feature when you have a video on your phone that you want to share with other people in the room, but it is possible to start casting accidentally if you tap the wrong spot on the screen.

Yes, but the video was not streaming from some other device. It was playing full screen on the Xbox's Youtube app. I mostly use Kodi for my entertainment needs. Why would I accidentally click Youtube and turn the TV off without knowing it? Never happened before and I doubt this was the result of an accidental button press.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:45 am

Doesn't the "cast" feature actually cause the YouTube app to open on the target device? It really sounds like that's the answer here.

Here's someone else who experienced something similar (except they were actually playing a game when YouTube unexpectedly launched): https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/commen ... app_while/

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:16 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Doesn't the "cast" feature actually cause the YouTube app to open on the target device? It really sounds like that's the answer here.

Here's someone else who experienced something similar (except they were actually playing a game when YouTube unexpectedly launched): https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/commen ... app_while/

Thanks. The xbox app was set by default to allow incoming connection from any device without any password. Problem solved.