Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Retro Arcade Gaming

Wed May 06, 2020 1:45 pm

I know, this goes in the Gaming forum, but that's not alive anymore. So, yeah. Anyhoo, in 2018 a company named Tastemakers released 3/4 scale-ish arcade cabinets with a few games per cab. Almost immediately people starting hacking them with Retropie and making them into MAME machines. They're lots of fun and are much cheaper than buying a full sized multi-cab. Here's two of mine that are modded with Raspberry Pis. The Galaga cab has a selection of vertical orientation games. A custom deck with a trackball allows games like Centipede to be played as intended. While my modded Asteroids cab handles the horizontal games. I added joysticks and buttons to this deck but the original layout still works for Asteroids. Robotron is fun with the dual joysticks, as well as Black Widow and Battlezone.

Last edited by Vrock on Wed May 13, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Retro Arcade Gaming

Wed May 06, 2020 8:50 pm

I was blissfully playing Atari games on my home computer during the 80s so never needed to frequent the arcades but I bet I would have if I had come across some of the flyers seen here: https://arcadeblogger.com/2016/03/18/cl ... os-buying/

Damn, those hot chicks would have given me quite a mind boner back in the day and I would have gone to the arcades in the hope of finding them there! Some of the flyers make me wish I had then a girlfriend addicted to gaming so I could squeeze her butt while she played :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Retro Arcade Gaming

Wed May 06, 2020 9:09 pm

Oh dear you have gone native as you're looking for the 72.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.