Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Microsoft buys Bethesda

Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:04 am

Story from PC Gamer

Well I've been saying for a while the the console gaming scene was in a weird place. With hardware looking more and more like budget PC options, it was only a matter of time before the console makers had to evolve. Nintendo struck first with the Switch, merging their handheld success with TV connectivity options. It's still unknown what Sony's answer is (if they have any), but Microsoft have been laying their cards on the table for some time. I first started to notice with the talk of having Series X games playable on XBOne platforms, and since then, Game Pass has been steadily improving. First it was made available on PC, then it added EA titles, and now Microsoft have brought all or ZeniMax media into their tent.

That means that Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein, Doom, Dishnored, and many more properties join the Microsoft family. The one I was looking forward to most was/is Deathloop, which got a feature spot last when when Sony was announcing PS5 prices. My guess is that this means nothing to PS4/PS5 users...mostly. MS will continue to release these titles on Sony platforms for the foreseeable future. The big gain here is the MASSIVE improvement to GamePass. Microsoft are THE player when it comes to subscription gaming, without any clear rival.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Microsoft buys Bethesda

Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:27 am

So now Microsoft owns more of Michael Abrash's code.

LostCat

Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Game Pass was already crazy awesome. I don't understand how MS plans to make money off this, but I love it.
Meow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:35 pm

LostCat wrote:
Game Pass was already crazy awesome. I don't understand how MS plans to make money off this, but I love it.

They make money through volume. They claim 15 million users right now. That's only gonna go up. 15 million at year at $10/mo (which I'm assuming is average between the new PC price, Xbox price, Game Pass Ultimate, and people on $1 trials) works out to be like $1.75 billion a year. You gotta figure more people will be drawn if they get the next Elder Scrolls / Fallout / Wolfenstein / Doom / whatever as part of the sub on day 1. And if they don't come, they'll still sell the games at $70 a pop. My guess is that (at least in the near term) PlayStation ports aren't going away. Those games are super popular on PS4, so they probably want the $70 a piece on those, too.

MS is going to do fine as long as they don't screw up the studios.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:11 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
They make money through volume. They claim 15 million users right now. That's only gonna go up. 15 million at year at $10/mo (which I'm assuming is average between the new PC price, Xbox price, Game Pass Ultimate, and people on $1 trials) works out to be like $1.75 billion a year. You gotta figure more people will be drawn if they get the next Elder Scrolls / Fallout / Wolfenstein / Doom / whatever as part of the sub on day 1. And if they don't come, they'll still sell the games at $70 a pop. My guess is that (at least in the near term) PlayStation ports aren't going away. Those games are super popular on PS4, so they probably want the $70 a piece on those, too.

MS is going to do fine as long as they don't screw up the studios.

MS has shown no interest in raising their game prices to $70. We'll see, but I don't expect it.

...I'd still find it funny if they raised them on Playstation but not Xbox hee.
Meow.