Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:36 am

Darkmage wrote:
Q*bert. :)

I have Qbert on my phone...that game gets almost impossible around the 12th screen...

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:23 pm

OMG!!!! YOU ALL SUCK!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FORGOT THESE!!!! :o

THE GAUNTLET SERIES!!!!!

OOOO!!! Could you imagine network Multiplayer??!!?? w00t!!! I think lost my college fund in quarters playing those in the mid eighties!!!!! :D :D

"Warrior is about to die!"

"Elf needs food badly!"

Those would be a blast with 3D graphics and Mutliplayer! :D

Where do I send the check to develope this?
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:48 pm

Actually they had newer versions come out about 2 years ago in the arcade. Quarter (or 50 cent) sucking is quite as impressive as the original.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:11 am

YUp, I remember all the times I threw a bunch of quarters into that machine along with SF2. Nothing like wizard needs food badly.... :D brings back the old memories.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:56 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Actually they had newer versions come out about 2 years ago in the arcade. Quarter (or 50 cent) sucking is quite as impressive as the original.

Yes but I would love to see a PC version with Mutliplayer, OMG that would rule.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:14 pm

They never made one, the game was only released for the console market.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:35 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
They never made one, the game was only released for the console market.

BOOOOO-HISSSSS!!!!!!!

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:50 pm

Here are some of the games I was thinking about....

viewtopic.php?t=2687
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

crisy10
Gerbil In Training

Re: Retro games you'd like to see remade

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:20 am

Hello
I want to see "outrun" and "Metroid" to be remade because Just picked up my old Outrun cab from the person who bought it from me a few years ago and I think something happened in transit.
I only get half of the audio effects. For example, I get half the tones of the music, not the full audio I should be hearing. Also there is no sound when I insert a credit. I checked all the cables and everything seems good.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:31 am

Holy necro batman! Not a bad topic, but anything that got remade at the time of this thread would be due for another remake. :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re:

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Streets of Rage 2 was the pinnacle of SOR...and a remake of this would be incredibly welcome.

Someone's finally gotten around to remaking Shining Force for the GBA, but what I'd like is a collection on either Xbox or PS2 of Shining Force 1, 2, CD, and 3 (all three scenarios)...I'd pay $100 for it, easily.

None of these are really "old" games though, all 1992-1998.

I'd love to play a remake of Space Quest 3, as that was my first graphical text adventure. Also, Pirate's Cove for the Commodore VIC20 was a great game I'd like to see redone.

From 13 years ago, I still want all of these.

Streets of Rage 2 is still the high-water mark for side-scrolling brawlers. Shining Force III is still being neglected. And now we're talking about 20-25 years ago, and these all qualify as old games. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am

crisy10 wrote:
Hello
I want to see "outrun" and "Metroid" to be remade because Just picked up my old Outrun cab from the person who bought it from me a few years ago and I think something happened in transit.
I only get half of the audio effects. For example, I get half the tones of the music, not the full audio I should be hearing. Also there is no sound when I insert a credit. I checked all the cables and everything seems good.

I don't know about this particular game, but most consoles and computers from the 80s and early 90s generally used one or two small ICs (usually Yamaha) for sound reproduction and it's possible that one has gone bad and just needs replaced. If you do any soldering, it's probably not too hard to fix. Id recommend going to some kind of coin-op forum for specifics though.
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:52 am

Unlike a lot of later 16-bit Sega arcade games, Outrun had its own board design, similar to that of the System 16 that came out the year before:

http://segaretro.org/Sega_OutRun_hardware

Depending on what sound effects are missing, the problem could be with the Yamaha FM synth or one of several chips used for PCM sample playback. Probably more likely, bad caps somewhere causing the chips to malfunction? We're talking about hardware that's 30 years old now.

edit: factually bad statement fixed
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:48 am

crisy10 wrote:
Hello

Metroid was remade as Metroid zero mission.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Phartindust
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Road Rash would be fun, Dungeon Keeper too.

Kougar

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:39 am

Xwing vs Tie Fighter, basically the entire Xwing campaign. The DOS emulators hate my flightstick so it just doesn't play right. Was enough content in that series to play for weeks without finishing the campaign.

LostCat

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Phartindust wrote:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/30038 ... edemption/
Meow.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Descent would be amazing with current tech.

Mechwarrior 2

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
Mechwarrior 2
FASA's lawyers wrecked that property.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Delta9
Gerbil

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:41 pm

A true HD remake of Baseball Stars for the NES. Not the gimped second one or the Neo Geo versions. I want the one where you build a team, name the players, and can power them up. The second for Nintendo didn't let you change players names and the Neo Geo one did away with the entire team making aspect. I don't want it over done, just make it play the same and look good. That's all. Toss in some network play too.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:44 pm

The NeoGeo version was the original so it didn't do away with anything. It was an arcade baseball game. :lol:

FASA didn't TOTALLY kill Battletech properties. Someday that hex-based strategy game will come out. So much for early 2017...

Justinletrain
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:36 pm

For me, it would be

Super Mario RPG,
Evo Search For Eden

Man, I played these games so much when I was young.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Justinletrain wrote:
For me, it would be

Super Mario RPG,
Evo Search For Eden

Man, I played these games so much when I was young.

Oh, yeah Super Mario RPG would be a great remake. I'm not sure exactly how the licensing works, since it was a joint venture between Square (who probably owns bits and pieces of the story or something) and Nintendo. It could get kind of mired in obscurity like Killer Instinct did for so long.

BTW how slow was the SNES? It seems like every title worth owning for the system uses some sort of accelerator chip to make the game playable. From Super Mario Kart using the DSP-1 to Super Mario RPG using the SA-1. It's pretty crazy, honestly. Mega Man X, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, the list goes on. The lack of SA-1 and Super FX compatibility in flash carts is a big part of why certain SNES games are so expensive in the second-hand market.

There are some exceptions to that remark, though. Final Fantasy II and III are definitely worth owning and neither uses a chip.

Meanwhile, the SVP chip in Virtua Racing is the only accelerator chip on the Genesis. Sega went the much more confusing and expensive route of making the 32X.

Judicator
Gerbil

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Hello, long time lurker here, just saw this thread gravedigged and thought to post some info, forgive my bad english.

Phartindust wrote:

DK has been kind of remade, it's actually an unofficial remake, started on Kickstarter years ago with the blessing of Peter Molyneux: *ttps://wftogame.com/. It can be bought from Steam or GOG. These guys worked hard to get the game done, they even hired Richard Ridings.

Kretschmer wrote:
Descent would be amazing with current tech.

Mechwarrior 2

Same goes for Descent: *ttps://playoverload.com/ it can be bought from Steam, since I'm a backer I chose to get the DRM free version, I think if you preorder the game may be able to get the DRM free version as well. These guys are the same developers team that made Descent back then, Parallax.

Fan remake: *ttp://sol-contingency.com/

Official Sequel from a different developer: *ttps://descendentstudios.com/game/about It's basically an official remake/reimagining heavily focused on multiplayer and ship customization.
There are other fan projects also.

Delta9
Gerbil

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:13 pm

[quote="derFunkenstein"]The NeoGeo version was the original so it didn't do away with anything. It was an arcade baseball game. :lol:

The Neo Geo version was developed by SNK, as was the original in the series. The NES version was released for the NES in 1989, and the Neo Geo version was released in 1990. So despite it's arcade style play, the NES came first followed by Neo Geo. However, it was originally an arcade game in Japan, but did not run on the Neo Geo hardware. So we are both kind of right.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:14 pm

welp I learned something new. My bad.

2x4
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:00 am

here's my list
-heimdall 2 - originally released on amiga
-mortal kombat 2
-montezumas revenge
-simon the sorcerer
-king's quest
-first FPS games - hexen, heretic
-race driver Grid
-original F.E.A.R.

i want to see them released again with today's graphics let's keep everything else the same - i dont want to play them the same way i used to play years ago.

these are just a few titles that i could think of now but my list is many times longer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zawodowy_fotograf/

i7 7700K--Gigabyte Z270x--EVGA GTX 1080--32GB DDR4 3200--DELL 4K--Crucial 500GB SSD--WD 2x4TB--Seagate 4TB--G-Drive 3TB (external)
5dmkIII

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:33 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Meanwhile, the SVP chip in Virtua Racing is the only accelerator chip on the Genesis. Sega went the much more confusing and expensive route of making the 32X.

Apparently they originally planned to make the SVP a "lock on" cart- you'd buy the SVP separately, and then plug game carts in the top of it. Saved the cost of putting an SVP in every single game that used it, kind of like a simpler version of the 32X. Never went past the prototype stage though. (Maybe Sega finally realised that they had too many different add ons?)

I think it would be really interesting to see what could be done on a SNES with a modern accelerator chip, made using modern manufacturing (28nm or something). How much data could you shovel over the cartridge bus?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 am

Yeah, I'd read that elsewhere, too. The 32X launched in November of 1994, about 8 months after Virtua Racing came out. I think Sega decided it made no sense to have both the lock-on cart AND the 32X.

As far as I'm concerned, the 32X version of NBA Jam Tournament Edition is the best one available on a home console. The Playstation and Saturn ports had basically nothing over the 32X but added loading times between quarters. The same is true of Mortal Kombat 2. Both of those games were significantly improvements on the 16-bit releases, though.