Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:18 pm

My new XBL name is "F*** Michigan"(language filter made that ****)

I'm only on halo 2 effectively. I used to be really good but now I'm afraid that I'm not so great anymore. No worries though it's still sort of fun, halo 2 never was as great as the original anyways.

I played the halo 3 beta a bit but it didn't strike me as anything too special. Seemed like an extension of halo 2 with more weapons that strayed ever farther away from what made halo 1 great. They did tone down the auto aim I think but that was about the only plus I could find.

** Please don't try to bypass the language filter **
Hawkwing74

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:35 pm

no it has an 's' in it as I wrote it out on TR but I had to put the dashes in between because the tr language filter **** out **** while the XBL filter doesn't

** Please don't try to bypass the language filter **
Hawkwing74

KiQuEBobix
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:39 pm

hello my gamertag is KiQuEBobix

i play GOW, and NFS Most Wanted and Carbon. Im getting battlefield 2 MC soon

i added most of you guys who are posted in here before my post. Please accept my friend request. I look forward playing with you. Oh and please mark me as a preferred player. Ill do the same for you. Thanks

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:49 pm

Got Windows LIVE, it alright. My gamertag is DarkFalcon1 if anyone wants too add me.
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:18 am

Don't know if this is still being updated or not, or even read, but...

I just bought a 360 this weekend. Gamertag is (surprise surprise):

Inkedsphynx

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:28 am

KiQuEBobix wrote:
hello my gamertag is KiQuEBobix

i play GOW, and NFS Most Wanted and Carbon. Im getting battlefield 2 MC soon

i added most of you guys who are posted in here before my post. Please accept my friend request. I look forward playing with you. Oh and please mark me as a preferred player. Ill do the same for you. Thanks

Your friend request went away. Send me another one. Just didn't know you were on TR the first time so I waited!

heruur
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:06 am

My gamertag is under heruur, as soon as I get Cox to hook up my cable I'll be on.

I've got you guys all beat at Halo 2 8)

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:01 am

PerfectCr wrote:
Inkedsphynx wrote:
Don't know if this is still being updated or not, or even read, but...

I just bought a 360 this weekend. Gamertag is (surprise surprise):

Inkedsphynx

Awesome man! What games are you playing? 100 gamerscore, woot! :)

Right now I have GOW, Harry Potter (for the girlfriend), and WSOP 2007. I also have the full versions of Uno and Worms (I love worms, always have). I have some other games on the list of things to buy as well.

I might pick up a few more of the full XBLA games after I try some more out. We shall see :)

Nastradamus
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:42 am

Orginal XBox tag-ProjectPat0

XBox 360 tag-Meat Wad 0

I like zeros.
Yes sir

Stijn
Gerbil

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:32 am

Xbox Live Gamertag: Music Junky
TR nickname: Stijn, as you can see :wink:
AMD X2 4200+ / 3GB OCZ DDR2-800 / MSI K9N Platinum / ATI X1600XT / Creative Xmod / WD SE16 320GB

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:19 am

Well fine then :P

9pm it is! I'll make sure to practice some tonight, maybe I can bump my max skills another few % in anticipation.

I don't know how big of a performance advantage it'll give you though. If anything, my lack of skills will be the bigger factor. I still don't understand how different lies work, and why even when I'm in the rough, and it says a full-power hit will actually be 60% power, I end up hitting the ball the equivalent of 30% power.

Usually I just try to gauge the wind, then grip it and rip it. I haven't done too bad though :D

EDIT: While I'm at it, let me update what games I have:

GoW
Tiger Woods '08
WSOP
Harry Potter
Ninety-Nine Nights
Virtua Tennis 3
Halo 1/2

Also a bunch of XBLA games, I'll do a better job when I'm home and can look at what all I have.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:10 am

I figure I should update what games I'm playing:

1) Halo 3 (shocking, I know)
2) Catan
3) Gears of War
4) UNO

I guess that is about all I play that is multiplayer. For some reason I haven't bought Worms yet, but I will rectify that soon enough.

I mostly play Catan and UNO offline because people are slow, but if anyone wants to play let me know.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:56 am

That can't be all that affects it. It has to have something to do with the actual little picture of the ball where it's sometimes up against a bit of a hill in front of it, or sitting in a thicker patch of grass, etc. Because I always hit too hard to compensate for the %age reduction due to being in rough/med rough/etc. Problem is, half the time if I go with a non-power boost swing, going with a 4 when I would have usually used a 7, it ends up going way shorter than it would have if I had used a 7 even from the fairway.

Don't know how else to explain it, other than it just doesn't operate off that alone, and I don't understand what other factors weigh in.

I don't use the 3 click either, I use the analog. I'm fairly proficient with it now.

rchaneberg
Gerbil

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:03 am

How did I miss this!!??

Gamertag: Tetsuo Canada

Current Games: Halo 3, and I have Rainbow 6 vegas, Forza 2, Madden 08, and something else(Fear), Just trying to unlock all of Halos achievements.

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:08 am

PerfectCr wrote:
I haven't experienced that. Yeah if you are on a hill you need to aim properly but I've not had a problem compensating for rough.

Meh, I dunno. I guess I'll just keep doing my best to avoid the rough and bunkers :P

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:24 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
I haven't experienced that. Yeah if you are on a hill you need to aim properly but I've not had a problem compensating for rough.

I kinda guess at the rough, usually around 90% of what I would normally want if I were in the fairway is sufficient. The biggest problem I have is the left-to-right slopes and how the ball always favors floating off towards the downward direction of the slope (if it goes from high to low left to right, the ball will float to the right).

I've loved the analog since it was introduced with TW04, but I have migrated back to the 3-click becuase i'm better with it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:27 am

PerfectCR, are ESPN Gamernet Points in Tiger Woods what you earn by beating people's challenges that are posted, or are they from something else? I was trying to figure out how to earn them, but it didn't seem like I got any after beating a few challenges people had posted.

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:34 am

Ahh, cool. Thanks :) I'll check it out over there.

I played a few of the easy long drive challenges, was pretty neat to do. I posted one as well, I'm sure it's been busted by now. It was an 18-hole 59 at.... i don't remember what course. Should have been better but I finished off with 2 bogeys and a par. I think that's a -13 under for the round, which I was very happy with :)

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:39 am

Ok, you get producer points for posting clips up on gamernet.

Every time someone challenges your clip and doesn't beat it, you get 10 points. If someone does beat it, you get 1 point.

Looks like that one will take a while. I'll have to start saving more clips of good shots and rounds I make :D

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:37 am

So I got around to getting the xbox camera the other day and did the photo game face for my golfer in Tiger Woods...

It is actually kinda creepy! Myself and my gf were looking at it while I was playing and getting weirded out because it really looks a LOT like me. I figured it'd be kinda close, but it did an amazing job. And once you toss on the facial hair... just weird.

We had the brilliant ideas of creating extra golfers for my friends to use when they come over, and using photo game face on my cats *laugh* Too bad it probably won't come out looking like a cat :(

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:12 am

yeah, my photo gameface was pretty creepy too.

depending on the color of your cat, it might come out pretty well. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:22 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
yeah, my photo gameface was pretty creepy too.

depending on the color of your cat, it might come out pretty well. :lol:

One is orange and cream, the other is cream and darker cream? Rofl...

Yea, I think it would come out looking goofy though because it would convert the cat's features into human features.

Speaking of which, dunno if anyone ever saw these...

Funny

And Funnier

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:23 am

PerfectCr wrote:
I did the game face too but it didn't turn out that good, but I make my character look a little odd with purple spiked hair (a TW tradition for me ;)) and sunglasses so it really doesn't matter.

I just got the acheivements for winning the 4 majors and the Fed Ex Cup. Tip: to make it go fast, just set the PGA tour season to 1 round, assuming you can shot -10 or better in one round so you win all the tourneys. The majors were hard on 1 round settings, but I still managed to win them by a few strokes.

Now I need to go back and try and get Gold in all Tiger Challenges. That's another 150 pts. ;)

Doh, I didn't know you could set them to 1 round, I've been playing 4 rounds on all the tourneys. I've beat the spring major. Then I started working on silver/gold tiger challenges.

We should play again some night this week. I've got my golfer maxed out now, and I think I've gotten a bit better as well :)

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:35 am

Well, guess I'll have to play through this season at 4 rounds. Oh well *shrug*

I want to pick up the orange box. Never played any HL game, and they look kinda neat. Maybe I'll do that this weekend as a b-day gift to myself.

But yea, I DVR Heroes anyway :) Just pop a message in here, any day is good for me so long as it's not to early or late. Best times for me during the week are 6-8 EST.

A 3-way game would be cool too, if DerFunk can get in on it :)

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:47 am

Ugh, too many games out :( I still have to get Halo 3, and here in a few weeks GH3 will be out and I've got to get that, and, as mentioned, the Orange Box is on my list as well. There's probably a few others I am forgetting :\

I tell you what though, last night Tiger Woods looked awesome on the new TV. Maybe that'll help my game some :D

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:10 am

Inkedsphynx wrote:
Doh, I didn't know you could set them to 1 round, I've been playing 4 rounds on all the tourneys. I've beat the spring major. Then I started working on silver/gold tiger challenges.

We should play again some night this week. I've got my golfer maxed out now, and I think I've gotten a bit better as well :)

Heh, your progress and mine are pretty mirrored..finished the spring major today. I'm definitely going to drop it down to 1 round per tourney, though, because i'm starting to get a little burned out on golf and I've only finished one major.

I'm about half-done with the silver, though i'm just doing as well as i can so if I get a gold, I won't have to do that one again.

Anybody have any tips for how to deal with one ball and bingo-bango-bongo challenges? I beat them as bronze, but can't get to even silver, let alone gold, on many of them. Those things are such a pain in the ass...

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:23 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Inkedsphynx wrote:

Heh, your progress and mine are pretty mirrored..finished the spring major today. I'm definitely going to drop it down to 1 round per tourney, though, because i'm starting to get a little burned out on golf and I've only finished one major.

I'm about half-done with the silver, though i'm just doing as well as i can so if I get a gold, I won't have to do that one again.

Anybody have any tips for how to deal with one ball and bingo-bango-bongo challenges? I beat them as bronze, but can't get to even silver, let alone gold, on many of them. Those things are such a pain in the ass...

One ball is by far easier. Just remember that the circle is half the distance from your ball to the hole every time. So, I usually try to hit a nasty tee shot into the rough somewhere, then after the computer goes, I try to get it in one of two places. If it's a small green, I aim for right off the green, because the computer will never putt if they're off the green. If it's a big green, I try to get it about 30-40 feet from the cup. The computer will take the shot at trying to make it every time, but will almost NEVER make a putt from that distance. Then it leaves you a 1 foot putt for the win.

Bingo Bango Bongo is a lot harder for me. I can almost never get all 3 points on a hole. I almost never get the closest to pin point because the CPU will purposely hit it just off the green so they get a real easy approach to the hole.

Two ways to beat that:

1. Ignore it and just take the first on the green and lowest score points every hole.

2. Beat them at their own game. If you drive second, drive behind them and go again and aim short of the green by a ways. Problem with this is it'll sometimes cost you the first on green, but almost never, because the CPU wants to get as close as possible, so they'll do the same thing you, except they'll get much closer, so you can go again. Problem there is that you'll almost always halve the hole.

There's no challenge you can't at least get silver on by the 1 point per hole method. I've only seen 1 or 2 where you have to get all 3 points on at least 1 hole.

Technique 2 would work well if you get the closest and first points and halve every time. You'd still get 2 instead of 1 every hole.

EDIT: So you want to get in on a game with myself and PerfectCR sometime?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:29 am

PerfectCr wrote:
You can't drop it down to 1 round until after the season, you are stuck :(

Can I start a new season, I wonder? I'll have to look tonight...it'd just be a few rounds to get back through the spring major...

edit: yeah, probably could do that...my schedule is kinda weird though.

edit 2: don't forget to buy Beautiful Katamari tomorrow. I've had this one pre-ordered since word first got out about it in March or April.

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:34 am

I don't know anything about Beautiful Katamari. I'll go look it up on gamespot now :)

Like I said, any weeknight between 6-8EST is good for me. Weekends I'm always open, so any time would be fine. What's your schedule like? Maybe PerfectCR and myself can work around you.

EDIT: Looks intriguing, but I got to be honest, no way I'd pay 50$ for that. If it comes out at a lower price, sure. If not, I might pick it up used at some point, but that's not enough game for me to invest 50$ in *shrug*

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:11 am

Good thing it's only $40 then. :D

If you never played Katamari Damacy or We <3 Katamari on PS2, you wouldn't understand the bizarre and intensely Japanese addiction.

My evenings are largely Halo-fests right now, with my cousin's husband and a couple other mutual friends (though I'm sure interest will wane on my part; this is the most I've ever played any Halo game...never got into the first two, and this purchase was almost entirely on his insistence. I've enjoyed it alot more than I thought I would). My golfing is largely a morningtime thing, which I'll do between the time I get up with my wife to the time I have to go to work (she leaves for work at 6:30AM Central and I've got about 75 minutes to kill between then and the time I leave) and weekends.