Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:39 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
so if you have vendor trash gloves say, it tanks it. Gotcha

No. Read it again.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: World Of Warcraft

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:46 pm

if it's equippable (and grays used to be) and it's in your bag, and it's got an ilvl of say, 30 or something, that'll drag down your ilvl. Maybe not "tank" it but it would hurt. So like you pick up 2-3 vendor trash gray items on a run (to vendor) but they're of a class you can equip, wouldn't they count? Cause they're in your bags, you can equip them...
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Incorrect.

It averages the item levels for the highest ilvl item for each slot. It doesn't look at anything but the highest ilvl weapon, boots, belt, legs, two trinkets, etc. It doesn't care about vendor trash. It only goes down when you vendor an item that is already the highest ilvl item. If you replace a 333 to a 346 item it might go up one point, but if your replace your 312 green to a 346 it might go up 2 or 3 points. An upgrade to your currently equipped tank set might not move the average up at all, because you already have an equivalent ilvl item for your DPS gear in your bag. Or, you have an equivalent ilvl quest reward that you can't use because it's for pally healers.

Note that this only applies to gear that you can equip based on armor type. If you're a clothie, then it only counts cloth. If you're a plate wearer, it counts everything.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:08 pm

I bet I was getting mail/leather/cloth stuff from quests and bumping it up then vendoring all my crap after the heroic run and dropping it back down. Only explanation that makes sense.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:51 pm

d'oh. :oops:
That does, I have to say, sound like a really crappy way to do it though.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:21 am

I've read some posts from Blizz explaining the rationale. It's not really there to make sure you have good enough gear. The point of the way they do it is more to see if you have been to content on par with it. You can't get 333 gear without having done content that gives 333 gear.

Now, they admitted they knew its easy to game their system. Their goal was not to have a perfect system, just to have A system so there is some sort of way to weed out the truely unprepared.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:42 am

Which is a blessing in disguise. For those players that never encountered true Vanilla WOW and started late BC and WOTLK they dont understand what CC, mana control, and threat control is. Wrath ruined a lot of players!

And people moan and groan about what blizzard has done to the game I simply ask, "When did you start playing wow?" More often than not the reply is, "Late BC" or "WOTLK". Which explains it all.

My only hope is that those really good players that left after BC launched when Blizzard did make that turn, is that they will read about how Cata is more like Vanilla when it comes to dungeons and raids with some wonderful tools and ideas sprinkled in, will want to come back and try it out.

Speaking of which you can try Cata for FREE for 10 days (which is plenty of time to get to 85!): http://us.battle.net/en/info/cataclysm-trial

You must have the first two expacs.

And my favorite quote about Hardmode Dungeons is: Heroics are like penises, they're only as hard as others make them!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:35 pm

I think its funny how Blizzard is making such a huge deal about how they are going back to CC and hard dungeons and the like when the end of Cata will be exactly like the end of Wrath. Once the second tier of raid gear is available for justice points the heroics will be so trivial no one will do anything but AOE everything to death.

I also get sick to death of listening to people whine about how "easy" the raids are now. Yes you can do normal modes in your sleep but the hard modes are just as hard or harder than the old school content. You want a challenge? Its there. You want to see all the fights but you suck? Congrats! You get what you want too! Since when is having difficulty settings seen as a bad thing? And for that matter what other RPG has put such an ellegant challenge settings choice into their game?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:14 pm

see, I *liked* running CC as a hunter. It was fun as all get out to learn double trapping, kiting and the like *sigh*
I have to admit, I didn't make the transition to pure DPS as well as I could have but damnit, I liked being utility.

Fastfreak39
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Don't mean to side track the conversation but I think you guys are the best bet for answering my questions. I have two WoW accounts on my battle.net and my girlfriend and I would like to start playing cataclysm with some friends. Can we both log in at the same time even though both accounts are on the same battle.net? I read somewhere that you can but whoever logs in last will receive all the PM's for both accounts? If it is not possible or my previous statement about the PM's is true then is it difficult to get Blizzard to separate the accounts on different battle.net ID's?

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Sorry, I cant answer your question for sure..I have 2 accounts, but they are on seperate Bnet IDs.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:46 am

Fastfreak39 wrote:
Don't mean to side track the conversation but I think you guys are the best bet for answering my questions. I have two WoW accounts on my battle.net and my girlfriend and I would like to start playing cataclysm with some friends. Can we both log in at the same time even though both accounts are on the same battle.net? I read somewhere that you can but whoever logs in last will receive all the PM's for both accounts? If it is not possible or my previous statement about the PM's is true then is it difficult to get Blizzard to separate the accounts on different battle.net ID's?

Yes, as long as there are two separate accounts you can. Or at least you could when I still played. I doubt they changed it for Cataclysm.
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

Fastfreak39
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Has any heard or have experience with this possible PM issue that I mentioned?

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:36 pm

PM is different than whisper I assume. In which case I have no idea. there weren't any PM's when I played.

Fastfreak39
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:18 pm

redeye wrote:
PM is different than whisper I assume. In which case I have no idea. there weren't any PM's when I played.

My bad, I am referring to whispering when I say PM.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:49 am

Whispers were directed to individual toons back when I played and had no tie into individual accounts or overall battle.net accounts. Not sure if that's changed or not. I had mods that would forward whispers from the multibox toon to the main toon I was playing. I would say, if they haven't changed anything about the way whispers work, you should be fine.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:38 pm

whispers should go through to the specific character, but I could see that messing with the readID stuff since realID is tied to the bnet ID and both people are using that to log in.

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Whispers to a character are different from whispers across realms to a bnet account who just happens to be playing WoW at the time. If the guy is whispering Dkuberpwn then only you will see it. If they whisper [email protected] or w/e, my guess is that both you and your girlfriend will get that message.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:25 am

I'm questing through Uldum right now and I have to get this off my chest.

Uldum sucks. Tremendously. Whoever came up with the zone questline/storyline should be shot. The Tol'Vir storyline was passable, but this faux Indiana Jones fighting Hitler storyline is growing really agitating. I cannot wait to finish this zone and feel like I'm actually playing Warcraft again (hopefully).

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:14 am

I thought the throwback to Joust in mount Hyjal was a riot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joust_(video_game)
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Sparticuse wrote:
I think its funny how Blizzard is making such a huge deal about how they are going back to CC and hard dungeons and the like when the end of Cata will be exactly like the end of Wrath. Once the second tier of raid gear is available for justice points the heroics will be so trivial no one will do anything but AOE everything to death.

Except in the beginning of wrath, you typically AoE'd trash down from the start. In just about every raid, even on progression, you just AoE'd trash down. You can't compare the difficulty of H Cata dungeons at first tier to the difficulty of H Wrath dungeons in first tier. Cata is a lot more challenging. The trash in BWD and BoT is a lot more challenging.

They're not going to enforce CC for everyone on the second tier on up for Heroics. In fact, I usually wind up tanking 3+ mobs at a time now anyway, and I'm fully heroic geared. By that time you've already run heroics 50+ times, and you're bored of it and want to move on. You'll still want to do some interrupts/CC for the healers that spam it, but that's about it.

These heroics are closer to the BC heroics as far as challenge is concerned, but better class design/abilities allow for more flexibility than just "CC every mob except one, and break one at a time". In addition, it gives us the ability to just clear quickly and aoe trash down later on in the expansion, rather than it still taking 30 minutes because the warr/druid can't generate enough rage to get threat, or stopping every other pull because the paladin had to stop and drink because he's not taking any damage in his T5/T6 gear for Spiritual Attunement procs. This is a big part of the reason I rerolled DK.

I suppose I'll never understand why people, after the content being out for 6+ months, still want to take everything slow, one at a time, pull every mob, and be a jerk to random LFD people who just want to get done and get their 70VP/JP. If you want to RP and smell the roses, form your own guild group that wants to do it.

Creamsteak
Gerbil First Class

Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:34 pm

I think you capture what Blizzards intent with the heroics of Cataclysm is. With TBC, the original intent seemed to be to give people difficult 5 man content, because some of us wanted that. They were responding to an outcry of people that wanted some difficult smaller content. I did heroics before Kharazhan (as soon as I hit 70) with a small tight knit group from my raiding guild. We wiped for 7 hours the first time we cleared Shattered Halls, and we were OK with that (though now that I'm older and have a job, I wouldn't have time for that). The third boss (two-headed ogre) had a lovely bug where if you died to him after he enraged, he would never leave enraged mode and dealt extra fire damage on every swing. And it was still fun, for us, but in terms of an economy of time blizzard had made something that wasn't paying off for a lot of people. Plus they admittedly messed up by requiring people to get keyed for content they wanted to run by running content they didn't want to run. I remember it took my guild over a month to get a sufficiently balanced and attuned group for Tempest Keep.

I think their current compromise is actually fairly smart from their perspective. They built something that is hard enough to give people a little pause while progressing into raids right now, that won't quite be overkill a couple months down the line. One other aspect of it that I appreciate is that I feel like good damage dealers and crowd control are able to make a heavy effect on the quality of a group. A very small subset of the achievements even hint at "difficult 5 man content" though that list is very small and I expect will be trivialized at higher DPS levels.

That said, I fall into the category of players that almost want a "harder mode" from time to time. My wishful thinking is that they continue to add new 5 man dungeons that are progressively more difficult with some frequency.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:32 am

Farming for blacksmithing is absolutely insane! Thank god there isn't ever an ore shortage with spawn rates, but I must have blown through at least 1k elementium so far.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:18 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
Farming for blacksmithing is absolutely insane! Thank god there isn't ever an ore shortage with spawn rates, but I must have blown through at least 1k elementium so far.

Oh, I totally agree, I was in on the deepholm pre ore nerf...and I still had to farm up a metric ton to get to max and get all the BS patterns. Worst item by far was getting all the volatile earth...I pretty much bought all the ones that were under 50g for about a week to get enough to get all the hardened bars I needed. The only nice thing is I hit 525 pretty quick in a few days, didn't need to make any epic items to max out which was a nice change from previous expansions...I remember BC and Wrath were a lot more difficult to get topped out.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:21 pm

Just finished my first Heroic Deadmines run. Only took 4 hours or so.

Edit:

Also I have a hard time justifying Justice Point spending for Cata. Having run a handful of heroics now, and gotten several factions to exalted, I really only see myself buying one or two items at most. I can craft 3 359 tanking items (shield, chest, belt). I have 356 boots and a 346 helm from Wildhammer, and a 359 cloak from Hyjal. I've gotten several tanking gear pieces from heroics as well. The only two items for me to buy really are hands and shoulders (which I perceive will be the hardest drops to get).

I just don't see Justice points being worth it IMO. I don't know about other classes, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to max them out and not use them rather quickly.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:54 am

4 hours for a 5-man? That's worse than some raiding guilds I know. I certainly don't have that kind of time. I guess it's normal instances for me for a while.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
4 hours for a 5-man? That's worse than some raiding guilds I know. I certainly don't have that kind of time. I guess it's normal instances for me for a while.

We ran it with our guild, only one member knew the ropes on what to do. We probably could have picked up the pace. I haven't pugged at all because I've heard tremendous horror stories. But yeah, some of the heroics I feel are no small potatoes. The first heroic I ran was Throne of Tides, with 4 guildies and a dungeon-finder grab. The stranger was decent enough to stay the entire time (it was his first time as well), and that took nearly 5 hours I think. Throne of Tides is one hell of a tough starting heroic. I died 25 times.

The only thing I've learned so far is don't go in with the mininum item requirement. Get some higher level faction rewards. From what I've seen on some of the harder instances, it really is a trial and error of getting everything right. I've never raided before, but I imagine raiding is probably in a similiar vein. Die a lot while learning the mechanics of the fight and learning what to do. Or maybe I'm just a terrible WoW player :P

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:48 pm

I canceled my account about 1.5-2 weeks ago. It's pretty clear that blizz has no real intention of trying to provide a quality PvP experience, especially focused on arenas. I'm already bored with it and have no desire to raid so I figured it made sense to cancel.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:44 am

I've never raided before, but I imagine raiding is probably in a similiar vein. Die a lot while learning the mechanics of the fight and learning what to do.

You hit the nail on the head exactly. The current heroics are raids with 5 people: long, complicated and if one person messes up the whole group wipes. Well, that's how raids are when everyone is wearing the gear that is supposed to go with it anyway. Once you overgear a raid it gets pretty boring.

Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Well, I'm comin' back! I just haven't found anything to cure my itch for this game. Naturally I deleted my backup of the folder a week ago. Anybody want to remind me which add ons to get? LOL