Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Re: World Of Warcraft

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
-snip- So they nerf the class, crushing what little performance we have at our level, instead of fixing the scaling issues.

This is how I felt about elemental shaman. It took until she was near 870 before I actually started to see a competitive improvement to DPS. I was almost to the point of shelving her (she's my secondary character) because I felt bad for the trash DPS I was doing in dungeons. Still doesn't keep up with my ret pally but I am not ashamed to take her into an LFR even anymore.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:32 pm

strangequark18 wrote:
Waco wrote:
I died twice from 74 -> 108, and it was because I was screwing around.

The game feels too easy, and I don't enjoy the fact that there's no challenge.  I'm sure that changes at max level...but dammit, it doesn't feel very rewarding.  Ever.

Yea leveling has been pretty easy for a while now, although you can make it hard if you want to kick yourself by not picking the best talents to survive. Also depends on spec of course. Playing Warlock was the easiest thing I've ever done. DoT multiple mobs and never fall below 100% HP with a 10% shield. Playing Arms Warrior was still easy, but some of the rares were actually difficult and I died a few times while leveling. But yea, when I first played the game wasn't as polished so some specs were incredibly easy while some were borderline impossible at certain levels.
I have not played since March 2016. But if you raid, the gear drops you get from that pretty much makes all questing a cake walk. Besides which the drops from quests are nearly always what you would have wanted 10 levels ago.
Starfalcon wrote:
Well I just got sat from my raid team for not doing enough dps. First time that ever has happened to me, blizz has just bent over my class this exp...and they balanced it based on high level outliers, so rest of us less geared ones suck. Ive been top dps pretty much almost every exp, but this one I am dead last, and cant break the 400k dps barrier. Other players are wrecking meters at 800k plus, but no matter how I try, I can not keep up.
I know how you feel. We had a sub rogue on our raid team on Galakrond who did massive dps and could do it with crummy gear for the whole fight. He was just that good. He was also good for going back through old content to get achieves. He knew them all. I gave up playing my rogue and started playing my DK for raiding just to be able to contribute. I keep wanting to get back in the game. But, all these comments about legion just make me want to stop playing entirely.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Got it, thanks. Yeah, only the top 1% of the class determine balance. Again, don't play a Warrior - if you're not progression-raiding you're going to underperform, sometimes dramatically.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 14, 2019 1:07 pm

It's really been two years since anyone posted in this thread? WoW.

Anywho, World of Warcraft: Classic launches on August 27th (closed beta on May 15th). Seeing as this thread goes back to the beta days, I figured that a few people might be interested. Looks like subscriptions will be tied with the current version of the game, so you won't have to manage two subs. I haven't seen whether you need to buy a separate license, though. Hopefully that's tied into whatever Blizzard call the "base" version of WoW right now.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Bauxite
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Let this sad game die already, literally been ruined by a subset of its own players infesting the development.
TR RIP 7/7/2019

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue May 14, 2019 2:37 pm

I don't have time to play the games I own, not interested in going back to 2005/2006 at this point. :-?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue May 14, 2019 3:59 pm

I am looking forward to playing this again, going back to the more RPG and Less RNG WoW will at least be fun. Im not expecting to play it for the next 10 years but it will be something to do when taking a break from retail. Plus if this does well they will likely bring back TBC and wrath servers too I am sure.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue May 14, 2019 6:35 pm

I had to look up RNG because I had not heard the acronym. Ran across this R.N.G. (WoW Parody). It was amusing.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun May 19, 2019 10:23 pm

Hell, I might. I played enough vanilla to not have super rose tinted glasses (the horrible RNG, the fact that a lot of specs were worthless) but damnit I'm allowed some nostalgia, and I remember the world of vanilla fondly.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

superjawes

Mon May 20, 2019 9:02 am

Also on the WoW: Classic news front, beta players needed to be reminded that many of the "bugs" they are reporting are aren't actually bugs. It's just the way the game was ~2006 :lol:

All this Classic talk did bring back the itch, though, and I'm back in for now. I haven't touched any of the BfA stuff since re-subbing, but I am pretty happy with how easy it is to slip back in and level alts.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon May 20, 2019 10:25 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Hell, I might. I played enough vanilla to not have super rose tinted glasses (the horrible RNG, the fact that a lot of specs were worthless) but damnit I'm allowed some nostalgia, and I remember the world of vanilla fondly.

Damn kids today don't know how easy they have it!
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 20, 2019 12:59 pm

I played during WotLK, Cata, and Panderia. I quit the spring after WoDraynor came out. I liked Cata the best but I did like Panderia also.

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Mon May 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Been playing off and on since Dec 2005. Loved BC and LK, and sorta in and out during Cat, MoP and WoD. REALLY liked Legion, and having issues with finding "fun" in BFA. The story is meh, the end game content is meh (island expeditions are terrible...what were they thinking), raiding hasn't been enjoyable due to odd scaling in difficulties. I am still playing because of my wife and our friends and enjoying the social parts at least. We got AOTC for BoD last night (casual guild, only raid 3.5 hours a week) and might just take some time and not worry about it until 8.2. Hopefully the Azhara storylines will perk the story up because the whole KT storyline (alliance player) while good shouldn't be "done" already in my opinion. Should have been deeper than it was. Not necessarily a hater here...just really apathetic at the game right now. lol

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 20, 2019 1:15 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
I am looking forward to playing this again, going back to the more RPG and Less RNG WoW will at least be fun. Im not expecting to play it for the next 10 years but it will be something to do when taking a break from retail. Plus if this does well they will likely bring back TBC and wrath servers too I am sure.

Same. It'll be nice to play an officially supported version of Classic, rather than relying on private servers that seem to have all sorts of baggage/drama. Plus at this point, the post Cata world has been around longer than the pre-Cata world, and I really disliked what Cata did to the base zones.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2019 1:50 pm

IT'S NOT A BUG BUT A FEATURE! :P

Meh, I'm on the fence. I don't see myself spending hours in it. (Vanilla that is)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon May 20, 2019 3:41 pm

I just started my subscription back up, first time in 10 years. I played heavily in Vanilla and BC 20+ hours a week, I was in my 20s and had no kids. WotLK was good but my son was born and my available time became less and less. I did not buy BFA yet, honestly i'm hoping I get a beta key for Classic. So far I'm enjoying leveling from 80-110.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:42 am

Mr Bill wrote:
I played during WotLK, Cata, and Panderia. I quit the spring after WoDraynor came out. I liked Cata the best but I did like Panderia also.

What really killed WOW in the end was, of all things, writing quality.

While I wasn't exactly enthused with playing the same Warrior as everyone else (Note to Blizzard, lack of character customization doesn't mix well with lack of class customization), but at least up until Panderia the quests were interesting and well-written.

Draenor was as well until they got to the "main story / endgame", which wasn't good mostly because of the story beats they had to hit.

Even family begging me to keep playing (and paying for my account) didn't work for Legion. I'm not entirely sure what Blizzard was thinking. Re-treading BC AND killing off all the recognizable characters AND terrible quests? Good luck with the Classic server implementation?

Of course that won't go well either - the clear and obvious Developer salt is going to hurt. There are tons of little (non-game-affecting) QoL changes they could make, but... eh. I'm sure I'll play it at least a little.

Then again, the pirate Classic servers have the new models and graphics, so... who knows?

Hopefully someday soon Activision will force them to make the World of Starcraft MMO that everyone wants to play.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:34 am

So the guild decide to roll up a Classic guild. pretty much as I remembered. Its challenging. So I rolled a priest to level. Still dont know how much time i'll devote but its a fun side project.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:44 am

tanker27 wrote:
So the guild decide to roll up a Classic guild. pretty much as I remembered. Its challenging. So I rolled a priest to level. Still dont know how much time i'll devote but its a fun side project.
Glad to hear that there are some people enjoying it. Still curious to see how long this level of enthusiasm lasts. I don't see myself jumping in until/unless they do a Wrath version.

Vhalidictes wrote:
Hopefully someday soon Activision will force them to make the World of Starcraft MMO that everyone wants to play.
This doesn't stand a Ghost of a chance.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:18 pm

superjawes wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
This doesn't stand a Ghost of a chance.

Sadly, I couldn't agree more. Blizzard will lurch from failure to failure, as they create and then don't-release game after game, reworking some of them, until they run out of employees and/or money and Activision takes over completely.

Then, some time in the 2070's, some startup will buy/steal the Starcraft IP and squeeze out a **** VRMMO for phones. Bummer I'll be gone by then.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:12 pm

I last played shortly before WotLK shipped, so I was vanilla/burning crusade all the way. I might check out WoW Classic if Blizzard gives me some free playing time, but I'm sure that'll be a while with all the queues lining up for those new realms already.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:00 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I last played shortly before WotLK shipped, so I was vanilla/burning crusade all the way. I might check out WoW Classic if Blizzard gives me some free playing time, but I'm sure that'll be a while with all the queues lining up for those new realms already.
You should do an article reminiscing what it was like in the vanilla days.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:50 pm

Mr Bill wrote:

Not sure I want the headache of people in the comments telling me how rose-colored my nostalgia glasses are. :lol:

And honestly, they'd be right. Certain aspects of WoW are punishing. Upwards of 50 gold just to re-spec your character? I mean, it's better than Diablo II where there was no going back, but dang. That's but one example of how QoL improvements were made all stealth-like but it turns out they were a big help. Kinda like when Diablo III went from totally random drops to class-specific drops 95% of the time (or whatever it is). Not necessarily "realistic" but it makes the grind much more expedient.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:02 pm

I can't wait until I have some free time to resub and jump back into Classic. Though I'm glad I'm not suffering through the awful queues that are being reported. I also imagine the zone chats will be borderline unbearable, with a bunch of WoW classic superiority circlejerking.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:30 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

Not sure I want the headache of people in the comments telling me how rose-colored my nostalgia glasses are. :lol:

And honestly, they'd be right. Certain aspects of WoW are punishing. Upwards of 50 gold just to re-spec your character? I mean, it's better than Diablo II where there was no going back, but dang. That's but one example of how QoL improvements were made all stealth-like but it turns out they were a big help. Kinda like when Diablo III went from totally random drops to class-specific drops 95% of the time (or whatever it is). Not necessarily "realistic" but it makes the grind much more expedient.

My understanding of WOW Classic is that the Developers are salty. Really salty. And are therefore outright avoiding any tiny hint of QoL.

To be fair, they didn't develop Classic (those devs are long, long gone, some of them did work on Overwatch), and they did have to respond to all of the Internet pirate servers (which are also free).

I do have to say, their excuse of a "exact experience" really is a pretty good one and has merit.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 pm

So been chugging along Classic since release. Not as fervently as when it was Live but slowly. In my late 40's now. One thing I notice is that players are much, much better now than before. It was the wild wild west back then and some people never ever played an MMO. (I, Myself came from Everquest and City of Heros) So they really didnt know how to play. And most didnt know how spells, gear, etc interacted. Now almost everyone I group with are Min/Maxing at their level and keybinding, etc. I rarely see a keyboard turner. LOL

Of course fight mechanics were much simpler back then. The biggest being DONT STAND IN FIRE!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

strangequark18
Gerbil

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:57 am

Yea, that has to be the biggest difference to me as well. People keep mentioning that it's a 15 year old game so "ofc it's figured out by now" but I've come to regard the late 90's/early 00's as a unique era when many people were getting into gaming but online platforms for knowledge sharing were less sophisticated, leading to a more exploratory gaming experience for all games, not just WoW.

I had never run BRD (Blackrock Depths) before and decided to run it in Classic without looking up guides. I happened upon a little shortcut you can take by jumping off the side of a little set of stairs to a walkway below. Discovering it was so satisfying and it really reminded me of that old school experience before online competition drove us all to optimization. Oh well.

Honestly, I think the modern MMO experience is actually not too far from your standard phone game. Sure, the environment is bound to be more immersive but I think players really get a good dopamine rush from the feeling of progression in both. I would like to judge the player who spends all day playing a game like Clash of Clans but I realize that I'm not so different, a lot of times I'm not really having fun but simply trying to progress.

seankelly
Gerbil In Training

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 am

My dudes i am absolutely loving the game so far. A very very similar experience to the previous one its almost nostalgic. and ofcourse the player base is as impressive as ever

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:57 pm

I'm enjoying Classic so far but I'm thinking of quitting. Other games are free-to-play, and Blizzard has been stumbling pretty badly in the news recently.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:40 pm

My account is deleted. I almost resubbed to play Classic but I can't in good conscience with what Blizzard did this week.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.