Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Re: World Of Warcraft

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:54 am

Anovoca wrote:

All-in-all though, I love how they painted the picture in Suramar and it really reminds me of some of my favorite fiction. I get a feeling like I'm playing out some of the better motifs from Steven Erikson's Malazan Series as a marine trying to root out the assassins guilds that control the city of Darujhistan through fear and political favor. There is so much story going on there they could have written a few novels on Suramar but instead they are letting it all play out through quests and putting you at the center. It is probably one of the best jobs WOW has ever done with storytelling through the quest/rep system.

Yes the Suramar quest/lore is one of the best storytelling thus far. Even the two dungeons there are great. Well expect for that infuriating elite area......I loath all the world quests there.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:13 am

tanker27 wrote:
Yes the Suramar quest/lore is one of the best storytelling thus far. Even the two dungeons there are great. Well expect for that infuriating elite area......I loath all the world quests there.

But that is why they put in the devilsaur daily. So you can turn around and release all that frustration with those elites in one 5 minute long Jurassic massacre.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Heh :P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Massive banwave for all the botters a couple of days ago, much salt was had. Glad that blizz is making an effort now compared to how they used to completely ignore them.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:00 pm

tanker27 wrote:

I must be odd cause Suramar is my least favorite zone in the expansion.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Lore wise, the story of Suramar is top notch. As a zone..not so much. Personally I don't have a favorite zone, they all have their pros and cons.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:12 pm

World Bosses have bug, can not give rewards. :( 

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:36 pm

Robotics wrote:

If you don't get the quest voiceover when you approach, you will not get the quest reward.

If you leave the area, relog, etc until you get the message, then you will get WQ credit and the reward.

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:31 am

TheRazorsEdge wrote:
Robotics wrote:

If you don't get the quest voiceover when you approach, you will not get the quest reward.

If you leave the area, relog, etc until you get the message, then you will get WQ credit and the reward.

umm I will try . Thanks.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:34 am

Well, we finally got down heroic xav last night, god that fight gets so crazy in the last phase. So we started in TOV tonight...first fight with odin was nearly as crazy as xav....I miss patchwork.... :-?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:47 am

I died twice from 74 -> 108, and it was because I was screwing around.

The game feels too easy, and I don't enjoy the fact that there's no challenge. I'm sure that changes at max level...but dammit, it doesn't feel very rewarding. Ever.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:46 am

The Odynn fight in Heroic is stupidly long. I'm all up for the challenge but that fight makes me want to bang my head on the keyboard. There is no reason for it. Phases 1 & 2 should be cut by a 1/3d with phase three being a soft enrage, its inevitable that people will die.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

strangequark18
Gerbil

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Waco wrote:

The game feels too easy, and I don't enjoy the fact that there's no challenge.  I'm sure that changes at max level...but dammit, it doesn't feel very rewarding.  Ever.

Yea leveling has been pretty easy for a while now, although you can make it hard if you want to kick yourself by not picking the best talents to survive. Also depends on spec of course. Playing Warlock was the easiest thing I've ever done. DoT multiple mobs and never fall below 100% HP with a 10% shield. Playing Arms Warrior was still easy, but some of the rares were actually difficult and I died a few times while leveling. But yea, when I first played the game wasn't as polished so some specs were incredibly easy while some were borderline impossible at certain levels.

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:14 pm

Waco wrote:

The game feels too easy, and I don't enjoy the fact that there's no challenge.  I'm sure that changes at max level...but dammit, it doesn't feel very rewarding.  Ever.

For the first issue, ironman challenge. If that seems boring and contrived, level exclusively via dungeons and PvP. You can always push yourself with e-peen meters and wins/losses.

As for challenge at endgame, there are mythic+ dungeons, mythic raids, and competitive PvP. MMOs have always been about the endgame, and WoW in particular has "streamlined" the leveling experience.

You might not like the easy leveling, but there are a lot of people who want multiple max-level classes for variety.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:24 pm

TheRazorsEdge wrote:
You might not like the easy leveling, but there are a lot of people who want multiple max-level classes for variety.

Sure, and I certainly don't have the time to grind like I did in vanilla / BC, but it sure feels a bit unrewarding to blow through the entire game solo without any trouble.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:25 pm

Waco wrote:
TheRazorsEdge wrote:

Sure, and I certainly don't have the time to grind like I did in vanilla / BC, but it sure feels a bit unrewarding to blow through the entire game solo without any trouble.

They made challenge optional for early leveling. I don't really prefer that, so I do one or more of the following:

* Solo dungeons
* PvP (decent XP now, although nowhere near as fast as questing)
* Power leveling (make it a race, maybe shoot for a level every 10 minutes for starters)

There are also various flavors of ironman, but I don't really like those. One little internet flake out, and it's all gone.

Bottom line is that Blizzard decided to make the early game easier. Probably to appeal to casual players. And they appear unlikely to reverse course.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:00 pm

The game has been getting easier (and simpler) for each and every expansion. I guess we'll soon see how easy a game has to be in order to bore even casual players.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:37 am

Any gerbils out there mucking around on the Elysium private vanilla servers? I just created a warlock and am enjoying myself for the most part. The only thing missing at the moment are some people to level with. So far, I have not successfully lured any of my old wow buds to join me.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:52 am

Anovoca wrote:
Any gerbils out there mucking around on the Elysium private vanilla servers? I just created a warlock and am enjoying myself for the most part. The only thing missing at the moment are some people to level with. So far, I have not successfully lured any of my old wow buds to join me.

I'd love to, but free time is nonexistent for me right now. I'll make an account soon, just in case.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:11 pm

Shoot me a PM if you do. I have a lvl 16 undead lock and an 11 human rogue. Probably going to level a hunter and warrior in there some time as well but will hold off until I get someone to join me.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Well I just got sat from my raid team for not doing enough dps. First time that ever has happened to me, blizz has just bent over my class this exp...and they balanced it based on high level outliers, so rest of us less geared ones suck. Ive been top dps pretty much almost every exp, but this one I am dead last, and cant break the 400k dps barrier. Other players are wrecking meters at 800k plus, but no matter how I try, I can not keep up.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Been there, done that. Had a L60 Warrior in BC with this brand-new awesome skill - Titan Grip! Sadly, a L60 character didn't have any source of Hit Rating, so hello 50% of normal DPS due to missing!

Blizzard loves to balance based on best-possible-performance outliers; they've been doing this for years, and this is one of the many reasons I only play Hybrid classes now, since they tend to be less gear-dependent. Balance is really hard to get right, especially when you don't bother working on it.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:02 pm

Yeah it has been very depressing, I really like the exp, but it has all crashed and burnt for me now. No real way to catch up anymore, heck changing spec can be terrible...got to grind more AP+legendaries+gear. Barrier to entry to content is even steeper than back in the day, and not easy to recover from this. I even tried changing spec, as everyone said I really needed to switch to assassination as it is the best spec. I was never a FOTM switcher, been combat/outlaw since I started playing back in the day. I just ended up failing at that too, came up with even less dps, even after spending hours working on what I needed to do for the spec.

I really hate what my class has been turned into this exp....all our passive damage got turned into rng damage. I almost have reached the point after all my years of playing this game nonstop, of giving up and quitting.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:03 am

Starfalcon wrote:
I really hate what my class has been turned into this exp....all our passive damage got turned into rng damage. I almost have reached the point after all my years of playing this game nonstop, of giving up and quitting.

It burns us all out in the end, sadly.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:

It burns us all out in the end, sadly.

Yeah, once I realized that Blizzard was essentially trolling the player base, I gave up. They can mess with other people's heads for a while. It's a bummer that it took from late BC to early Panda to realize that though.

It's possible that the weird alterations were a result of the decision to never release "WOW 2" and instead update the base game, but that doesn't help the players at all.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Personally, I am ok with the changes. That doesnt mean I don't question them when they do happen.

Legion by far has been a cool xpac. Moreso than MoP which I would call a low point for the franchise. They seem to be getting into a good rhythm with releases. Pacing so far (As a Heroic raider I might add) has been good thus far. The only thing I can really complain about is the RNGesus factor when it comes to the Legendary system. I do just as much as my fellow raiders and I only have two and some of them have four or even six!

And I am a bit worried about whats to come with the Artifact Weapon. We've put so much effort into them that we just can't leave them behind after Legion is done with. Some of the AWs are so ingrained now that they have totally changed the way certain classes are played and even their rotations. If we do leave them behind it makes me wonder if those AW traits will become inherent with the said class and spec moving forward.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:49 pm

WOW game systems have been a mess since around early Cataclysm, so no change from that perspective. At this point I've written off the WOW skills systems, which is nice because instead of expecting good things I can appreciate the continuing QOL improvements.

That said, Panda was awesome, and at least for a few months after release Legion was even better, mostly because all I still do in WOW is Quest and the Questing has been fantastic.

I should probably re-sub at some point just to see the entire Legion storyline... at least, what's not gated behind the Raids.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:29 pm

Well I decided to change spec after some thinking about what I wanted to do, looks like Ill just have to grind out new gear and hope I get some legendaries for my new spec.Going to be painful to do so, but I decided i am not ready to completely quit, and I saw another outlaw nerf coming....just keep beating that spec down blizz....

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:12 am

Starfalcon, other than of course the normal random-walk class balance whack-a-mole, is there anything specific the Bluenames have said about Rogues being too powerful?

They're also a DPS-only (non-Hybrid) Class, which means that depending on the phase of the moon they are supposed to have better damage by design... depending on which developer you ask.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:27 pm

Nope, havent heard really anything about rogues being too powerful, but we have had the nerfbat often, In the prepatch and early game outlaw was very powerful and strong, and over the months they have nerfed talents, art trees, and legendaries. Unfortunately there are top tier rogues that are doing insane dps, mainly due to broken scaling at that level. So they nerf the class, crushing what little performance we have at our level, instead of fixing the scaling issues.