Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Re: World Of Warcraft

Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:56 pm

Anybody here logged on yet since the changes prior to the new release? I am 4 tablets away from the legendary ring.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:08 am

yup still playing. My guild group is what keeps me around. I am going to be running a Ele Shammy during Legion.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:40 am

I just started playing again after a several year absence, but all my previous characters were gone for some reason.

So I started a Pandarian Monk and learning how to play all over again.
All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct - Carl Sagan

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:52 am

I found it odd that they're waiting for a pre-launch event since the previous expansion had the pre-launch event available right away. At least I was able to grab some raid gear for my DK, Pally and Warrior during the weekly Timewalking events they've been doing.
Ryzen 7 1800X - Corsair H60i - GA AB350 Gaming - 32GB DDR4 2933 at 16,16,16,36 - GTX 1080 at 1924 / 5264 (undervolted) - 250GB WD Blue SSD - 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:09 pm

Well so far I am liking my new outlaw spec, doing good dps in the top 3 of our raid. The class no longer really seems energy starved like it did, and roll the bones seems pretty decent ability. Although I always seem to get the 6 buff on trash where it is wasted. :evil: Have to see how it goes when the artifact weapons and the new levels roll out. Have to say in spite of all my doubts about the spec, I do like what they did....it flows much better than it used to.

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:18 am

I'm loving the rotation for Frost DK and Fury Warrior. Frost DK was already quite good but the Fury Warrior, which seemed kinda good at first but weak later on as it didn't scale as well with gear, is now awesome again. Ret Pally and Arms Warrior on the other hand, definitely not as good as Frost DK or Fury Warrior.
Ryzen 7 1800X - Corsair H60i - GA AB350 Gaming - 32GB DDR4 2933 at 16,16,16,36 - GTX 1080 at 1924 / 5264 (undervolted) - 250GB WD Blue SSD - 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:58 am

I'm OK with what they did for my sub rogue spec. Although its very odd to have two backstab attacks and two dagger toss attacks that generate combo points. The Frost DK works OK in a staccato rotation sort of way. I'm annoyed that they took my cooking hat and made it a toy but most of all why did Blizz have to make the loot-o-rang a toy that does not work in instances? That thing was actually useful and saves an unbelievable amount of time not running around looting bodies with right mouse clicks.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:21 am

ultima_trev wrote:
I'm loving the rotation for Frost DK and Fury Warrior. Frost DK was already quite good but the Fury Warrior, which seemed kinda good at first but weak later on as it didn't scale as well with gear, is now awesome again. Ret Pally and Arms Warrior on the other hand, definitely not as good as Frost DK or Fury Warrior.

If you like Frost you need to check out Unholy. It is a blast to play and it's cleave is top notch. I've leveled one in beta and been playing around with it for a couple of months now and they are top notch at AoE and Single target. Lots of synergy with talents. And the pet is buffed too.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:07 am

Elemental Shaman is terrible in pvp now. I hear Enhancement Shaman is good, but I don't feel like learning a new type of play. It's hard enough adjusting to all the changes they already made.

At least pvp gear is really easy to get, for now. 5 honor token for weapon, 3 for armor, etc. I wonder how many it will be next season though. They really do want you to grind. And I think the fatal flaw of needing wins at a certain point is still unchanged. You have to hope for a decent team.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:43 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Elemental Shaman is terrible in pvp now.

Preface what I'm going to say with the fact that I'm not a big PvPer. Most classes are in the same boat as the Ele Shammy until they start leveling the PvP talents. PvP talents kinda killed a lot of classes for twinking. I couldn't see how a class like the Ele Shammy could survive long enough to do any good. Its casts are way too long and its instants don't do enough damage.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:59 am

tanker27 wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
Elemental Shaman is terrible in pvp now.

Preface what I'm going to say with the fact that I'm not a big PvPer. Most classes are in the same boat as the Ele Shammy until they start leveling the PvP talents. PvP talents kinda killed a lot of classes for twinking. I couldn't see how a class like the Ele Shammy could survive long enough to do any good. Its casts are way too long and its instants don't do enough damage.

The stun locking is the issue right now. Everyone can stun us. If I jump away with the new shaman ability, they jump right to me and do it again. Since all Melee seems to have a way to close now with casters.

I just need 5 more honor tokens to max out gear, then I'm done till expansion.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:19 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
...then I'm done till expansion.

Only to start all over again..:P ahh the life of the perpetual grind.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:59 am

I'm not too happy with prot paladin changes. I really liked having to manage my a resource to stay survivable...now I feel really squishy and I'm just managing charges. Ret paladin seems better. I feel like I have more to do in my rotation from start to finish rather than just using exorcism procs and waiting for hammer of wrath usage.

Other thoughts from poking around with my alts:

Locks seem pretty good, especially demonology (make sense now that demon hunters are getting metamorphosis). Just spawning waves of minions is satisfying, and that's really good for a class that lost some of its identity.

Shadow priests seem interesting, too. I think they work for having "build" phases and "burn" phases. The talent that kills you feels really, really cool, but I will be interested to see how it plays out in the long run.

Ele shammies have always been too underpowered for how fun they often are...at least they get classic totems back!

Fury warrior seems way more consistent, which is good, IMO. Feels much more like an onslaught of attacks, or at least a consistent beatdown.

Rogues feel like they got a solid upgrade across the board (this is the class I boosted to check it out). Each spec really feels different, as opposed to flavors of the same ideas.

I was leveling a monk prior to the pre-patch, and I was really digging WW and MW. WW seems mostly the same, although I'm not sure what the point of energy is anymore. The only dump is Tiger Palm, and that leaves me wondering if it would be better to stick a number of charges on that ability. I haven't run with MW yet, but it is going to take a bit of getting used to. Triggering soothing mist as a passive seems really interesting, and possibly a solid way of keeping throughput up.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:14 am

superjawes wrote:
I'm not too happy with prot paladin changes. I really liked having to manage my a resource to stay survivable...now I feel really squishy and I'm just managing charges.

Neither does our MT for our raid. Blizzard just moved the goalposts for tanks. They were too self-sufficient, so now they put the onus back onto the healers. In short, it's back to vanilla where you had to have dedicated tank healing. (I actually like this change, tanking during raids became too automatic.)

However, there is a silver lining to this in that a lot of self heals were moved to the Artifact Weapon. This is the case for the Prot Pally. And it is also the case for almost all classes. Wonder where that talent or skill went.....look no farther than the Artifact Weapon.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:28 am

tanker27 wrote:
superjawes wrote:
I'm not too happy with prot paladin changes. I really liked having to manage my a resource to stay survivable...now I feel really squishy and I'm just managing charges.

Neither does our MT for our raid. Blizzard just moved the goalposts for tanks. They were too self-sufficient, so now they put the onus back onto the healers. In short, it's back to vanilla where you had to have dedicated tank healing. (I actually like this change, tanking during raids became too automatic.)

I haven't done a Raid since the patch but my Blood DK is now squishy as hell. Mythic dungeons I was formerly neigh invincible but I died in a recent one! Went from 6 defensive cooldowns to 2.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:06 pm

tanker27 wrote:
ultima_trev wrote:

If you like Frost you need to check out Unholy. It is a blast to play and it's cleave is top notch. I've leveled one in beta and been playing around with it for a couple of months now and they are top notch at AoE and Single target. Lots of synergy with talents. And the pet is buffed too.
Yeah, Icy Veins said Unholy was the best spec for DPS. I've never played unholy as the various spells are pretty goulish to me, thats why I have always stuck to blood and frost. I just fixed up my frost and blood setups yesterday. Felt like I was limping running Vashknight-Galakrond in Frost last night in LFR First three bosses of HFC to get my final three tablets for the Legandary ring. But I managed to get low 30's to low 40's in DPS. Not a three finger roll like the previous patch. It was pretty sad drop from pulling 50-60K before. What with the ring, a Savage Amplifier upgrade, and a Kazz drop; went from 708 to 712 ilvl yesterday. I was third in DPS behind the two tanks and the rest of the raid was in the mid 20's to low 30's.

I don't tank much except when asked to, and with guidance from the guild tanks in teamspeak who for whatever reason what to run a dps or heals tune to balance the raid. Have not looked too closely at chants yet but hoping they are not diametrically opposed, and so requiring two sets of gear.

If you feel like it, please give me an idea of your unholy rotation and I will give it a try.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:11 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
superjawes wrote:

I haven't done a Raid since the patch but my Blood DK is now squishy as hell. Mythic dungeons I was formerly neigh invincible but I died in a recent one! Went from 6 defensive cooldowns to 2.
I'm wondering if the healers are having a hard time. We nearly wiped on the second boss of HFC. Turned out only one of the healers was healing. I was playing Frost DK and died to aggro and no blood presence to save me. The one surviving tank managed to kill Killrog Deadeye on his own although it took three cycles to get the last 5%.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:46 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
The one surviving tank managed to kill Killrog Deadeye on his own although it took three cycles to get the last 5%.

OWCH
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:43 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
If you feel like it, please give me an idea of your unholy rotation and I will give it a try.

I use Dark Arbiter in Beta and my rotation is pretty simple in fact I follow Tegu he theorycrafts all things DK and submits his guides to Icy Veins:

Dark Arbiter

Maintain Virulent Plague on the target, using Outbreak to refresh it when it is about to expire.

Cast Dark Transformation

Cast Dark Arbiter
Only use Dark Arbiter when you are at or close to the maximum amount of Runic Power.

While Dark Arbiter is active, spend as much Runic Power as possible by spamming Death Coil

Cast Festering Strike
This applies 2-4 stacks of the Festering Wound debuff, which caps at 8 stacks. Do not use Festering Strike if you are at maximum stacks, and ideally avoid wasting any potential stacks (so try not to cast it when you have 5 or more stacks).

Cast Scourge Strike (or Clawing Shadows, if you have taken this talent).
This consumes 1 stack of Festering Wound, so only use it if the target has at least 1 stack.

Cast Death Coil and avoid capping Runic Power.
If you are using the Shadow Infusion, you should pool some resources so once Dark Transformation, you can cast back to back Death Coils and reduce the cooldown of Dark Transformation.

Dark Transformation is really where the power lies, your pet will do a lot of DPS. Outbreak to spread Virulent Plague. And Festering Wound to 'POP' a lesion. (As gross as that sounds :P)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:48 pm

Also a PSA:

When Legion goes live when you have a chance, go get all three artifact weapons for your class. (you can get the second at 105 and third at 110 I believe, You get your main AW right off the bat to unlock your Class Hall) There will come a point in time When you get Artifact Relics that are lower iLevel than the ones you are using in your main Artifact you can use them in your off-spec Artifact Weapons to keep up its iLevel.

Dont ever vendor or bust up Artifact Relics.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:20 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:

Fewer cooldowns and weaker active mitigation make it more important to know the encounter. You are inherently more dependent on the healer as well.

And trust me, healers had it easier overall compared to previous expansions---until now. So there are a lot of bad healers who got carried by comparatively stronger tanks. I expect them to go back to being bad DPS in Legion.

Also, healers got changed too, so they may need time to readjust to their spec. I have five maxed characters, and I had their DPS specs down within a few minutes. Tanking took a little longer, but healing was the most difficult due to the Discipline changes.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:10 pm

Another DDOS attack has brought battlenet down. I am not understanding the motivations of these people.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:13 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Another DDOS attack has brought battlenet down. I am not understanding the motivations of these people.

It was actually from a group of cheaters on Overwatch who got banned for using hacks and bots. They decided to do a retaliatory DDOS in response.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:22 am

Krogoth wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:

It was actually from a group of cheaters on Overwatch who got banned for using hacks and bots. They decided to do a retaliatory DDOS in response.

Ah that actually makes sense in a way, thanks.

S1ngle
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:20 am

Krogoth wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:

Overwatch is one of my favorite games at the moment. Hate ppl with cheats as it totally spoils the game play.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:34 am

I'm really struggling whether to buy Legion or not.

I am just not sure it's worth the purchase price and monthly sub to me. It just seems more of the same old, which is not a surprise after 11+ years.

I'm quite annoyed with the PVP changes...they disabled my Frostwolf rank 6 trinket after all this time? I guess they disabled all trinkets in PVP.

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:52 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I'm really struggling whether to buy Legion or not.

I am just not sure it's worth the purchase price and monthly sub to me. It just seems more of the same old, which is not a surprise after 11+ years.

I'm quite annoyed with the PVP changes...they disabled my Frostwolf rank 6 trinket after all this time? I guess they disabled all trinkets in PVP.

This is the problem my wife and I have. We both want to play but how long will it be before we are both bored again? I AM excited about Burning Legion and Demon Hunters (my favorite hero in WC3) but it doesn't really change that it's the same grind as before.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:55 am

I wont try and sway you. But there is a lot to do in Legion even after getting to max level. The quests in the max zone and world quests are endless. Even if you are not into raiding. After panda land and WoD I am actually excited about it. I really phoned it in during MoP and WoD. I haven't been this excited since WotLK.

If you are not sure about the sub, its easy to maintain with gold now and buying a token to pay for your month. Before they nerfed the gold missions from garrisons I had enough to pay for 13 months of sub and sill have 500K to start Legion with. And from what I have seen with Legion Beta its not hard to maintain.

I can't speak of PvP I dont know what their end game is like in Legion. But yeah they were big changes to it. But Blizzard seems intent on changing it for the better. Heck they just ban-hammered some 6000 accounts for win trading last week. That even disrupted some teams that are doing the Road to Blizzcon.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:03 am

tanker27 wrote:
If you are not sure about the sub, its easy to maintain with gold now and buying a token to pay for your month.

This is a very good point. I will look into what tokens are running this evening. I still would have to pay the purchase price (+ tax, thanks state of IL you filthy money grubbers!).

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:18 am

https://wowtoken.info/

As of right now between 38K-40K of gold will net you a token.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')