Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Re: World Of Warcraft

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:59 pm

My wife and I cancelled back in July. Was meant to be a short term solution to all the things we needed to do when we bought our new house, and we just never went back. In the interim I was lucky enough to get into the another MMO's beta. Haven't been playing it as much either for no particular reason. Maybe the MMO bug is wearing off or something, but I have enjoyed having a real life for a change.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Well my guild is going strong, we have 6/7 in firelands in farm and working on raggy...yesterday we got him down to 32%. Monday were going to put a bunch more attempts in on him and hope we get him down. I think a big part of staying interested in wow is having good guildies and friends to do things with. We have a good team and we all get along great together along with getting down content and doing things as a guild. We just finally hit Lvl 25 on our guild yesterday along with one shotting the first 6 bosses in FL last night.

One of our older guildies that just came back 3 weeks ago to play again whispered me during a night of wipes on raggy on monday how he was impressed that no one got upset or yelled and screamed and we just kept getting back and hitting it again. I beleive a lot of it is due to me as the raid lead keeping us going back and keeping people focused and calm. Every attempt we were getting farther and more progress, and its easier to keep people motivated and happy by keeping a calm tone and keeping them focused on the fight than screaming. We are hoping we get him down this week, but if not we have next week also. With the 4.3 patch dropping in the next 2 weeks, we are still going to hit FL along with the new stuff since we have 4 days a week we raid.

I am just very proud of how far our guild has come in the last 2 months, 2 months ago we weren't raiding or had enough people to do them. I decided to raid lead and getting us moving. We had to pug for a while, but we got a lot of new guildies from our pug runs, along with many old guildies coming back to play. Now we have a well geared 10 man team I am very proud of and look forward to raiding with every week. We are all looking forward to going into 4.3 as a guild with a great team spirit and new bosses to down.

Now some people may be down on MoP, but I and my guild are really looking forward to the new things that will come out and the interesting changes it will make to the game. I just do not understand all the people "OMG it haz pandaz, I quitzorz". It will have a whole bunch of new things to do and places to go, I see no reason to hate on it so much, at the very least you can not say it sucks until you have tried the beta out. I look forward to MoP as it will be the closest thing to WoW2 with many of the old systems and ideas being swept out and new fresh ideas coming in. I guess some people do not like change, but I look forward to it and experiencing all the new things the expansion will bring. Every expansion people have been negative about along with saying it will destroy the game BC/Wrath/Cata, and besides cata having a low amount of content due to the old world revamp, they have all made the game better. I just hope all the players can find what they enjoy in wow, or find it elsewhere. WoW is meant to be a game and for you to have fun with it, make sure you keep that in mind, if you aren't having fun find the game that does it for you.

/end wall o text

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Finally doing Pandarens, eh? I agree with tanker, they are too slow on content.

I'd have been fine with Panderans if it didn't look like Kung-Fu Panda.. I keep hearing Jack Black every time I look at them... :P

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:52 pm

druidcent wrote:
I'd have been fine with Panderans if it didn't look like Kung-Fu Panda.. I keep hearing Jack Black every time I look at them... :P
I guess it remains to be seen if all Pandaren models in game are fat...they do seem to borrow liberally from movies and other sources for their "lore".

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Something that surprised me. Blizzard is finally selling gold. By creating an in game pet that you buy with real money and then can sell, that's essentially what they did. Was a time when they would never have considered it, but profits must be obtained, I guess. How long before they simply sell epics?

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:03 pm

activision

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Something that surprised me. Blizzard is finally selling gold. By creating an in game pet that you buy with real money and then can sell, that's essentially what they did. Was a time when they would never have considered it, but profits must be obtained, I guess. How long before they simply sell epics?

Blizzard has been doing that for years. Its just now its more straight forward.
TCG Loot card mounts like the Spectral Tiger have been BoE for a long time now.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:04 am

patch 4.3 drops tomorrow, get ready for the new raids to wipe on 8)

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:02 pm

I just started playing WOW. My rogue is up to level 9. Its been fun so far.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

pedro
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:39 am

Insightful.
Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64: E8200 // P35 // HD 4850 // 4GB
OS X 10.8.x: iMac12,2, MacBook 5,2

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:52 am

You can click on the exclamation point in the triangle to report SPAM.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:55 pm

The first LFR I did went well even if I didn't get any loot. Second one was not so good, with a RL trying to be a hard ass along with a tank going wow this is my first raid ever, and he really didn't know how to tank along with spamming raid with the wrong things to do in CAPS. Once the bad tank left and hard ass raider shut up we got stuff done. Thing that sucked is nothing I could use dropped the first time, second time I couldn't roll on anything all the rogue loots dropped lol.

I don't know if anyone heard about all the top end guilds exploiting LFR to get full T13 for their heroic mode attempts this upcoming weeks, but it looks like there is going to be some serious bannings coming down the pipe this next week. I have no idea how they thought they wouldn't get in trouble for doing it as "as everyone else was doing it so we had to do it too" isn't going to fly. Should shake up the top 100 raid guilds at the very least.

Mon May 14, 2012 2:26 pm

I think I'm pretty much done playing. I've canceled and renewed my subscription quite a few times because after a few days of being unsubscribed, I get ansy and no other game scratches my itch. Then when I get back in, I'm just bored. I've got a pally, mage, and priest all in LFR or better gear, and I'm just bored with it. I even tried to level a druid. I did DPS, tank, and heals, all just seemed boring.

The worst part is that this game has ruined almost every other game for me. I'm not sure I can explain how, but it's like nothing is as easy or intuitive or social. It's very frustrating. Anyway, I renewed a few days ago, I'm ready to cancel again. I'm thinking I may need to sell my account to someone so I can be officially done with it.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon May 14, 2012 2:28 pm

5150 wrote:
The worst part is that this game has ruined almost every other game for me. I'm not sure I can explain how, but it's like nothing is as easy or intuitive or social. It's very frustrating.

I agree...I tried Star Wars: TOR and it was close but just not quite there. I miss old school solo RPGs but those seem to be a dead genre. WoW is a trap, you get bored with it yet it sets a very high bar that other games seemingly can't surpass.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 14, 2012 3:08 pm

Yeah, I understand what you mean... I unsubscribed back in January (I have a few times in the past) and I haven't back in since. For me it's not about leaving the game behind, but rather the social attributes of the game. Leaving an entire community you've gotten to know for years and talking to people who wont see you in the same light. Other games have almost completely forsaken the social aspect. While they have almost facebook like features, they completely gut the ability to actually interact with people in the game you're in. There really isn't a sandbox to play in to get to know people, you either have to friend them based on 20-40 minutes of messages through gameplay or not at all...

It really makes me long for the days of CS and other games where you went into a dedicated server and you eventually got to know the populace as a regular. Not just through always coming to the same server, but being able to talk while you're waiting for the round to end. I don't know if you've actually tried to communicate in games like League of Legends, but games almost always turn into bitching. It's not enough being able to trash talk the other team, but people spend a good majority of it trash talking their own team because trash talking the other team doesn't cut it anymore. The camaraderie is almost completely absent.

LoL is one of the game I started playing after I quit WoW, mainly because I like the characters (not the gameplay). I've found myself merely playing it because there isn't anything else to play. Honestly that's why I started playing WoW in the first place, because I outplayed all the other good games in existence... I started playing WoW a few years after consolization hit.

I do agree, WoW has set a very high standard. Even if the current version of the game is a shell of it's former self (I think it peaked during Wrath). The groundwork that was laid by the developers before them is still there. It's like they have a bunch of inexperienced devs working on WoW now testing out all their ground breaking ideas. It doesn't help that WoW has always been a 'me-too' too. They attempt to copy the major aspects from the next or current best competing MMO. In mists case they're trying to copy the gameplay from GW2 and in doing so they're completely destroying what is WoW.

KamikaseRider
Gerbil

Mon May 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
5150 wrote:
The worst part is that this game has ruined almost every other game for me. I'm not sure I can explain how, but it's like nothing is as easy or intuitive or social. It's very frustrating.

I agree...I tried Star Wars: TOR and it was close but just not quite there. I miss old school solo RPGs but those seem to be a dead genre. WoW is a trap, you get bored with it yet it sets a very high bar that other games seemingly can't surpass.

After two years away, I'm back to WoW and your point it's exactly what happened to me. WoW is boring to the bones, but no other MMORPG has quite the same level of polish and effort to details as WoW.
Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon May 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Ive been playign the beta for a while now, and I have to say I am really looking forward to the new exp when it hits. While I do agree with everyone that in the beginning cata was a big pile of suck, I have to say the end raid and heroics are very like wrath. Plus I really enjoy raiding and doing stuff with my guildies, some of who I have been playign with for 5-6 years now and I cant imagine playing the game without them.

zzz
Gerbil

Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 pm

OP's post: 2004

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Best part of Cata was LFR. That should've been added to the game quite awhile ago. Hands down, to me as a casual raider (I don't have a guild, don't plan to have one, and don't go looking for raids) it is godsend. Just being able to jump into a raid at ANY time roll your face on the keyboard and get some gear out of it in like two hours is great. It's no commitment and still pleasureable experience.

I really don't care what the hardcore raiders say, that was the best and only improvement added to the game in Cata.

The new expansion looks more schizophrenic and lacking in direction then Cata was, so I'm not even interested. Guild Wars 2 is where it's at now. I'm not going to spew anything about a 'wow killer', but WoW is most definitely sickly and on it's knee. With that sort of handicap another game may be able to overtake it.

It's really unfortunate Tabula Rasa went under. I think that's one of the few games that would've been able to directly compete with WoW if the devs knew what they had.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2012 6:31 am

Bensam123 wrote:
but WoW is most definitely sickly and on it's knee.

Not with 10+ Million active subs still. When that number gets down to 2 or 3 million I may call it that. But I bet that Blizzard has a trigger built in, when Active subs get to some arbitrary number, WoW will be F2P with micro-transactions. (it wont happen over night but it will)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue May 15, 2012 8:54 am

Bensam123 wrote:
The new expansion looks more schizophrenic and lacking in direction then Cata was

This.

They're shunning the majority of the original player base in order to get more casual players but casual players have no loyalty or real reason to keep going once they've drained the unsatisfyingly challenge-free content. It infuriates the theorycrafters and hardcore players because so many guilds are 'infected' with lower standards that casual players bring, since they are totally counter-productive to progress in the harder content that makes the challenges fun.

I usually dial back my WoW playing once the guild has "finished" the last intance of an expansion but in this case I cancelled my subscription and have been enjoying other things for a good few months.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue May 15, 2012 2:21 pm

One thing all the "hardcore" people seem to forget blizz is putting in challenge modes. You enter a instance with normalized gear and your job is to get through it as quick as possible to win the gold medal and get unique rewards. For all the people that are saying wow is done it is too easy and such, be sure to post a screenshot of all your gold medals in the game challenges. You can not outgear them, so you just have to be extremely good player..I remember when wrath came out and people said it would destroy the greatness that was BC and it was one of the most popular expansions ever.

Some people just like to complain and will never be happy with anything that does not let them feel elite and better than others because they can do stuff other people cant. I remember back in vanilla and BC how almost no one got to see naxx and sunwell, sure it was great for the top guilds, but how would you have felt if all you could do week after week was run kara...over, and over, and over again...would you keep playing the game for the next year? I know I would get bored and stop playing, I like hard challenges and difficult things to do, but I also like fun things to do ingame also. When cata came out, I ran heroic deadmines...it took over 4 hours to clear it due to the need for CCing every pull and tons of trash to clear...sure it was hard, but was it fun to spend 4 hours in a heroic? I have been in raids that didn't last that long.

Blizz is going to do what will make them get the most people to play, not cater to the small group of hardcore elitists no matter how vocal they are. They listened to them for cata and made everything hard as they could, did it make the game better? Not really and made early raiding and heroics very punishing and unforgiving and made a lot of people stop playing wow. Blizz put in heroic modes along with crazy achievements and challenge modes in mists so the hardcore will have things to do, just like the people that are casual will have things to do. It is all about reaching the widest audience.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
It is all about reaching the widest audience.

And trying to maintain that audience. Those high schoolers that started with WoW in 2004 have now graduated college and quite possibly have families.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Tue May 15, 2012 4:41 pm

I just sold everything I had and disenchanted all my gear. Going to wait for it to all sell on the AH and then I'll give away my gold to my guildies. It's pathetic how crazy this feels.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 15, 2012 8:15 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Bensam123 wrote:
but WoW is most definitely sickly and on it's knee.

Not with 10+ Million active subs still. When that number gets down to 2 or 3 million I may call it that. But I bet that Blizzard has a trigger built in, when Active subs get to some arbitrary number, WoW will be F2P with micro-transactions. (it wont happen over night but it will)

They've already started their desperate measures. They added in transmute so you can make your items look like other gear, which they said they would never do even though everyone wanted it (their epeen is ultra huge), they added a f2p edition even though it's totally just the trial that doesn't expire, they gave away Diablo 3, this is the most obvious kicker of their game going down the crapper. They gave away Diablo 3, their next big game, which only comes around once every 8 years, for FREE if you STAY subscribed for a year. Which is an insanely good deal if you play WoW, but for people who quit, contemplating quitting, or really aren't interested anymore it was a rip off. That in itself artificially inflated their subscriber numbers for the next year. How many people bought Diablo 3 and do you think play WoW? Just because they're subscribed doesn't mean they actually play. I know tons of people who went for the free D3 for the one year sub.

That in itself should tell you how much Blizard thinks their WoW franchise is worth. Blizzard rarely discounts their games. Hell, up till cata they were selling their expansions and the original game for close to full price. That is something else they cut after Cata too, when everything started rolling down hill they cut out the price associated with BC and the original game. Yet, they're willing to essentially give away $60 worth of game time in WoW, if they thought people would actually buy ti.

You can claim Blizzards numbers all you want and believe their propaganda, but you don't even need to believe me, all you need to do is look at what they're doing and compare it to past trends. Heck, you just need to talk a little bit about WoW in other games and you'll find people in exile there with the same stories. After Cata the game sucked and they're looking for something new because it doesn't cut it anymore. I'm not talking about finding one or two people, there are a handful of people in every game I play. League of Legends is a popular refugee camp.

Keep in mind, I don't believe the downward spiral of Cata has ANYTHING to do with how easy the game got. I agree that the 'dumbing' down the spells and stats contributed to it, but not how easy the content got. The only people I hear who complained about how easy things got were the hardcore raiders, who most definitely are a vocal minority. Heroics in wrath were pretty darn easy and people liked them. The only ones who didn't were, once again, the hardcore raiders, who didn't like 'casuals' getting their gear. So in Cata, they made them basically into mini-raids and pissed tons of people off. Hardcore raiders loved them and loved gloating about how easy they were when casuals were constantly wiping in them. The original Cata heroics are still ungodly hard and people stay away from them like the black plague.

So, really, you have a bunch of elitists that helped ruin Cata because they didn't want things to be easy for normal players. I don't believe that's the sole reason, but it's most definitely part of it. Blizzard was stupid for listening to them in the first place. It's always the same type of people who want to appear better then others no matter what. It's not even about the game being fun. The motivation to play and what is considered fun is completely different from casuals to hardcore raiders. So far that those raiders don't even consider what other people find fun.

Like I said, I still think LFR was and is the only good thing that came out of Cata. A feature designed completely for casuals and was pretty darn easy! For people like myself, who don't raid and don't want to join raiding guilds and even raiders who want to gear up alts or don't want to spend every waking moment with their guild, it's tons of fun. I just wanted to roll my face on the keyboard and get moderately good gear out of it. It didn't matter if it wasn't BiS.

Then again I loved heroics in Wrath and enjoyed running them. They didn't need to be challenging.

superjawes

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 am

Finally found this thread...and it's been around since beta :o (I shouldn't be surprised)

Anyone suffering from lack of play lately? So much of our raid roster has dropped out that we didn't clear DS this week.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Yeah, my guild has been more or less dead since D3 dropped. We haven't had anyone really on at all besides me...kinda makes me sad as I was only a month away from my legendary daggers....guess that's going to wait until mop drops now. I am sure all our regulars will be back once the expansion comes out so we will be rocking again.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:59 pm

I quit playing after killing Deathwing and have had no desire to pick the game back up as there has been no new content since. I just got burned out on playing the same stuff over and over and watching the game get dumbed down more and more. I think I've had a good run after playing this game for 6 years, and I'm not impressed with whats being offered in the next expansion. Honestly, I'm glad to be over this addiction. I've been spending a lot more money on games now, but each time I beat one I look forward to the next new experience. It's also nice to be able to pause the game to get a drink without worrying about my team wiping. Now if only I hadn't signed up for that annual pass...
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

superjawes

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:46 am

Starfalcon wrote:
Yeah, my guild has been more or less dead since D3 dropped. We haven't had anyone really on at all besides me...kinda makes me sad as I was only a month away from my legendary daggers....guess that's going to wait until mop drops now. I am sure all our regulars will be back once the expansion comes out so we will be rocking again.

We actually survived the D3 launch...partially since we seem to have mastered normal DS so much that we were considering 1-healing some bosses.

I'm either going to try to hop into a heroic group or do old stuff for a few weeks, and I'm expecting the expansion to drop in a few months. If SWTOR actually does get a free to play mode, I might play that for a bit, too.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:01 am

DeadOfKnight wrote:
I quit playing after killing Deathwing and have had no desire to pick the game back up as there has been no new content since. I just got burned out on playing the same stuff over and over and watching the game get dumbed down more and more. I think I've had a good run after playing this game for 6 years, and I'm not impressed with whats being offered in the next expansion. Honestly, I'm glad to be over this addiction. I've been spending a lot more money on games now, but each time I beat one I look forward to the next new experience. It's also nice to be able to pause the game to get a drink without worrying about my team wiping. Now if only I hadn't signed up for that annual pass...

Well, honestly I think the game is going to change a lot for the better. Just getting rid of the cookie cutter talent builds will be nice, basically each expansion I have the same build the entire expansion, never had to change it once..and actually my combat build has been more or less the same since BC. Honestly I dont really see the game getting dumbed down in spite of what people will say,...there will be a lot more variety in talent choices, many more things to do in down time, pet battles, more dailies with no cap, your own farm to take care of, all the new cooking specialties, massive changes to PVP, and all the new areas to explore so we aren't sitting in org all the time.

Ive been playing since vanilla, and I have to say I am looking forward to this expansion more than I have any expansion. People have been saying wow is dumbed down and is going to fail since before bC came out and every expansion since then. Friends said that when BC came out how wow was going to fail as they were making it so easy to raid with only 25 unlike the 40 man naxx where the real raiders were. They said the same thing about wrath how everything was super easy an everyone would quit and wow was finished, ended up being the most popular expansion ever. Same with cata, they made a lot of misteps at the beginning, but I think the changes they made helped it finish up with a wrath feel. I figure mop will be another big success, I know plenty of my friends looking forward to new places to go an new gear to get.