Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

VTNC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

If you play any STEAM multiplayer click here!

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:21 am

You will thank me for this.

1. Go to your steam folder (usually C:\Program Files\Steam\)
  2. Find the the subfolder of the game you want. (eg. Steam/SteamApps/<username>/counter-strike source/cstrike)
  3. Find the "cfg" folder. Alternatively, search for .cfg files and try to locate either config.cfg or autoexec.cfg and go to the folder that cointains them.
  4. Once you find the correct folder, find autoexec.cfg or create one if it's not present and open it in a text editor (can be Notepad)
  5. Add the following line to your autoexec.cfg: "cl_downloadfilter nosounds" (without the quotation marks)
  6. Go back to the root folder of the game you want (eg. Steam/SteamApps/<username>/counter-strike source/cstrike) and find a folder called "sounds". In this folder you'll find all the retarded sh1t that has already been downloaded. Delete everything in there.

There. Now no more retarded Quake and Unreal sounds, from some a-hole admin, in your game.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:32 pm

As an admin, I take offence to that. Those sounds are put there for fun; they add a little spice and do serve a purpose. For instance, instead of flashing an annoying 'OMG MOVE' message all over your screen, I could just play a .wav that says "MOVE YOUR ASS SOLDIER"...move more conveniant, and doesn't obscure your sight. ;)
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:30 am

Both are just as bad. And a small slap will usually do the trick. Or the camper fart. But talking wavs except the premade ones are pure evil as just about nobody knows when to stop.

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:08 am

Awesome! - there's nothing more annoying than wanting a quick game before you go out, and having to download countless **** sounds (most of which you've already got, just named differently).

Cheers.

VTNC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:12 am

CampinCarl wrote:
As an admin, I take offence to that. Those sounds are put there for fun; they add a little spice and do serve a purpose. For instance, instead of flashing an annoying 'OMG MOVE' message all over your screen, I could just play a .wav that says "MOVE YOUR ASS SOLDIER"...move more conveniant, and doesn't obscure your sight. ;)
I wouldn't take offense to that, since it's not a Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament sound, which is mightily retarded, even in a faux-realistic game like CS:S, but downloading it is still an inconvenience.

As an admin, you could use the engine's built-in speech thingy, which is commonly used without the need of bloated, superfluous wavs. Or as Aphasia said, keep it simple and use an admin slap or camper farting.

080119-deactivated
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:51 am

Its a good tip, but I think the Quake/Unreal sounds add an extra dimention to the game :roll:. Its so cool to hear 'headshot', or double kill or whatever 8)
EVE-Online
Corporation: Nexus Legion
Alliance: NxT LeveL

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:55 pm

I'd like to mention that the majority of reward sounds in UT are only heard by the player, and not broadcast for everyone to hear.

Accept no imitations. ;)

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:08 pm

Bob Maenhout wrote:
Its a good tip, but I think the Quake/Unreal sounds add an extra dimention to the game :roll:. Its so cool to hear 'headshot', or double kill or whatever 8)

then go play a FAR superior game in UT2k4. CS just sucks. If I aim at your face, whiel your not moving, and fire my gun, you should die bar none. I play unreal because it's unrealistic in terms of damage like that the aformentioned. A game that strives to be realistic in terms of gameplay (not reality) but fails miserbaly due to horrible accuracy issues.

Now, you want a game LIKE CS with much better gameplay play Soldier of Fortune 2, that game is awesome. CS, again IMO, blows hard with regards to rewarding skill.

That wasn't all directed at you Bob, just ranting baout my dislike for CS in general. I always turn the voice off too, damned 13 year olds screaming "OMG KITCHEN KITCHEN" on militia, or the like. Grr such contempt in my heart!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:16 pm

Yeah, everyone's had enough from the CounterTwit crowd.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

SpiffSpoo
Gerbil First Class

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:44 pm

I play steam, and I could care less about extra sounds, I have music on most of the time, but I am too lazy to do all that stuff. Also, all those files take up like what, 1 meg, if that?
ECS 755-A2 MoBo | 754 NewCastle A64 3000+ | 1.5 GB PC3200 3-3-3-8 | 80 + 250 gig HD 7200 RPM SATA | BFG Geforce 6800GT | Audigy 2 GAMER | 550 WATT PSU | SyncMaster 712n | Altec Headphones | Logitec 5.1 System

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:51 pm

Let's not rag too hard on CS here. I don't play much now due to the fact that most servers cycle only a handful of the same boring maps over and over again, but I have fond memories of CS gaming back in the early beta days.

Back OT, I'm torn on the issue, but I'm glad I have my sounds turned on in UT2k4, else I wouldn't be graced with glorious Duke Nukem entertainment.

Trivia: There's a Dukism appropriate for every situation. What's an appropriate Dukism for the current discussion?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:04 pm

College ball sucks? Hehe sorry. Go Pitt! (lost today) blah.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:11 pm

SpiffSpoo wrote:
I play steam, and I could care less about extra sounds, I have music on most of the time, but I am too lazy to do all that stuff. Also, all those files take up like what, 1 meg, if that?

My gripe with music files and what not aka custom content that I might be forced to hear otherwise is that I play to win 95% of the time. In doing so, I turn off all sound except ambient noise in game like footsteps etc, no music and no sound but guns reloading and footsteps. I play by sound and ALWAYS walk.